July 26, 2011 - Heinz Field - Pittsburgh, PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
whoever runs the list makes the rules, Tony. Sorry you disagree. Everybody got a plus 1, not three, so not sure what you're talking about there. I don't know why you keep referring to everyone as my group, besides the fact I'm pretty well-liked and talk to others, while you... well, I didn't really see you talking to anyone.

By the way, sending an anonymous, threatening email to someone who has access to databases that track the actual IP address and personal information of the user is not a good idea, Tony. Just sayin.'

This will be my last time responding to you, unless I have to call your local authorities... (should I tell people where you live?) You are not worth my time.

I don't like the accusation that I am sending you an threatening email. I never have. Please post all the information you have about such a threatening email. I don't think it exists. If it does exist, it certainly wasn't from me.

All I am stating is that YOU added 3 people. I have pics of the list.

Your imaginary email coming from me is just that. You are trying to discredit me by attempting to make me look unreasonable. And... if you got a threatening email, by all means, contact the authorities. I encourage it.

(but just to see some proof, post the email, and ip address, and my city and state... since you "tracked me by ip address")

In Response to Romi's post.

^ They filled up though, it was supposedly a record breaking concert for Heinz Field... regardless, despite the stressing out in the beginning, it turned out to be a great experience.

I have to wonder about the whole plus one thing! I got there Sunday morning and from what I was told that was when the list started, like 2 hours before I got there. When I overheard people talking about plus ones - I asked if I could add one and was told NO!! Every line I've ever been in (and I've been in the top 5 a few times) has never had a plus one policy. If you weren't there - you didn't get on. I was in the 30's, my friend was in the 70's - we got the places we wanted and had a great time. The show was so wonderful and the boys seemed like they had a blast too. I hate all the line drama!!

The GA line entrance went smoothly I thought. I was number 443 in line so I was a bit nervous. Ended up in the inner circle about 6 rows in front of Bono's mic. Wasn't expecting that spot! I said before the show that they should play Bad. Had given up hope and couldn't believe that they closed the show with it. It was the first time I heard it live in 10 years! :bow::happydance:

P.S. A girl I was standing right next to had a number in the 100s. So I guess it really depends on what spot you want once you get into the inner circle. I thought that where we were would've been a prime spot though...idk.

I was waiting for you to start posting that email information and ip address. I was hoping you put that it came from Kentucky. I live in Kentucky. However, I am still in Pittsburgh. We are checking out of the radisson as I type.

Sorry Romi. You won't pin a fictitious email on me

First off, if anyone has complete audio of this show, can you please send me a PM?

Just so everyone knows. My friend and film maker Michael Corbiere went to his first U2 show with me in Toronto. He was smitten with the show and the Mirrorball Man costume that he asked me if he could make a movie about me, the GA line, and the U2 experience. I said yes, and he brought his movie camera to Pittsburgh.

No, it had nothing to do with U2.com or atu2.com. (some folks were asking) This was simply a documentary about a fan's experience. After the editing is done, I will let you know about the release of it and all that jazz.

On another note, Mirror Ball costume or not, I have been disappointed this tour in getting my name on the list and getting spots I'd like in the pit. When you haul ass via car from Montreal to Toronto (4 hours) and find out at 3pm the day before the show that you are #80 or so, it is quite disappointing. I get it. The venues no longer want people camping out like we used to for previous tours. The camping out though made it honest. You put in the time for the line.

I appreciate that nowadays, you get a number and come back at roll call. Many folks do not come back for roll call.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I played by the rules that others had endorsed and personally signed up on lists for all shows by being there. I "wish" someone offered me a +1 or signed me up without being there. It didn't happen for me. Perhaps it isn't fair if it did happen for you.

My only perk was for Montreal II, a U2 worker offered myself, my wife, and two friends pit access. That access did not involve rail or budding in front of people. It only involved us getting inside the pit area, and this was during Interpol's set. I was reluctant to take such a gift, but this was more for the benefit of the friends who I was taking to the show. This nice gesture had nothing to do with a list.

Anyway, I can only hope that folks take the time to remember what U2 would want. These shows are a blessing and a beautiful occasion. Let's not mar the experience with "who's closer than who".

^ Glad you had a great time and were able to find your friend!
Too bad I couldn't send photos to my friends - "somebody" used up all my phone battery on that first night!! I don't know who that could've been lol!!!! We had a fantastic time - thought the show and the people were great. There's just so much anxiety in that line about getting the spot you want....ultimately, it always works out in the end and everyone always has such a wonderful time.

Too bad I couldn't send photos to my friends - "somebody" used up all my phone battery on that first night!! I don't know who that could've been lol!!!! We had a fantastic time - thought the show and the people were great. There's just so much anxiety in that line about getting the spot you want....ultimately, it always works out in the end and everyone always has such a wonderful time.

:lmao: As soon as I get a "reallysmart" phone you get my first battery use :wink:

First off, if anyone has complete audio of this show, can you please send me a PM?

Just so everyone knows. My friend and film maker Michael Corbiere went to his first U2 show with me in Toronto. He was smitten with the show and the Mirrorball Man costume that he asked me if he could make a movie about me, the GA line, and the U2 experience. I said yes, and he brought his movie camera to Pittsburgh.

No, it had nothing to do with U2.com or atu2.com. (some folks were asking) This was simply a documentary about a fan's experience. After the editing is done, I will let you know about the release of it and all that jazz.

On another note, Mirror Ball costume or not, I have been disappointed this tour in getting my name on the list and getting spots I'd like in the pit. When you haul ass via car from Montreal to Toronto (4 hours) and find out at 3pm the day before the show that you are #80 or so, it is quite disappointing. I get it. The venues no longer want people camping out like we used to for previous tours. The camping out though made it honest. You put in the time for the line.

I appreciate that nowadays, you get a number and come back at roll call. Many folks do not come back for roll call.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I played by the rules that others had endorsed and personally signed up on lists for all shows by being there. I "wish" someone offered me a +1 or signed me up without being there. It didn't happen for me. Perhaps it isn't fair if it did happen for you.

My only perk was for Montreal II, a U2 worker offered myself, my wife, and two friends pit access. That access did not involve rail or budding in front of people. It only involved us getting inside the pit area, and this was during Interpol's set. I was reluctant to take such a gift, but this was more for the benefit of the friends who I was taking to the show. This nice gesture had nothing to do with a list.

Anyway, I can only hope that folks take the time to remember what U2 would want. These shows are a blessing and a beautiful occasion. Let's not mar the experience with "who's closer than who".

A. I want to see that vid!

B. Cheers to "Anyway, I can only hope that folks take the time to remember what U2 would want. These shows are a blessing and a beautiful occasion. Let's not mar the experience with who's closer than who!"

Would anyone want to read an in depth post about the plus one shenanigans? I was gonna include video and pics. If so I'll start a post in the general tour section.

i had a great time at the show, i think i was the only one in my section standing the entire time...with that said, i regret not getting a ga ticket

Does anyone have any video of DEENA aka MEMPHIS MULLEN getting her Larry hug when he came off the stage to her... as the band was walking onstage during Space Oddity????????? :hyper:

Please post them or PM me if you do! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug:

So I am a ROOKIE to the whole GA for a concert - did RZ this last time in Toronto but was wondering: how does the whole take a roll-call number and come back thing work?

I was under the impression that everyone lined up a day or so in advance to get as close to the stage as possible?
U can actually be assigned a number, leave and come back? Is this something instituted by the venue or just honest U2 fans?

^ It is fan-run, though Dave with U2 security said he likes it. Dave has been coming out since after Anaheim at 6 a.m. on show days to make sure everyone is in order and has a number. It really is up to the people running a line to come up with the rules, though. From my experience, it has been different from 2009 to 2011. In 2009, there were regular check-ins several times each day to keep people at the stadiums longer. Typically, you could not miss more than two roll calls in a day. Most of my shows in 2011 (all but Montreal 1), there was just one check-in per day, which could be made at any time midnight to midnight. I really like this because it allowed me to be a tourist and have fun with friends outside of a line. For Montreal 1, it was more of a 2009 system. Both have pluses and minuses.

Psssst... :wave: Lisa P. here... my hubby Kelly & I really enjoyed hanging with you this weekend. Glad to see you ended up with a great spot & nice to see you on Interference - I had forgotten to ask if you were a member. :)

I really like this because it allowed me to be a tourist and have fun with friends outside of a line.

So you sign up, go be a tourist, then see a show?
WOW! That's a winning system.

However, I thought the purpose was to maintain order, not allow tourism.

It has always been fan run. From 2001 onwards, I've camped out for shows. Sometimes I've slept in the cold....sometimes under sunny stars. That used to be the norm. Yes you could come and go and there was a list, but for the most part, if you arrived early, you camped out. I did this from Elevation tour 2001 all the way up to Toronto 2009.

The venues now no longer wish to be responsible for things happening on their property prior to the date of the show. It's all about insurance and not being negligent. Thus, many venues chased away U2 fans looking to camp out on the stadium property. This makes the entire lining up for your spot a bit dicey.

So the ideas for this leg of the tour were to come early, get your name on a list, and then come back for a roll call on the day of the show.

Sounds great in theory. The tourist in each of us could spend the day exploring the city you were in.

I wanted to be front and center in Toronto (hometown show), but my problem was I had to travel from Montreal back to Toronto. Imagine what it is like to find out that the list was started during the Montreal 2 show by who were in Toronto. Ok...that's fine. However, those 60 people on the list are not at the venue. Tough pill to swallow. I hauled ass (MTL to Toronto in 4hrs no joke) to arrive at the Rogers Centre at 3pm the day before the show. It was almost a detriment that I went to Montreal 2.

I know for a fact that several folks that I was with in Montreal 2 already had their name on the Toronto list ahead of me and they were not even in Toronto yet.

Am I sour grapes? No. Just stating fact. My tour was one of magnificence and I would not trade my experiences from those 10 shows for anything, especially since I know that I did everything fair and square without shunting other U2 fans in the process.

Basically, with no camping out at the venue anymore, the game has changed.

Let's say you arrive at the venue the day before. Park yourself in front of the gate only to find out that you can't stay there by security. You return as early as you can the next day only to find out that there is a list of 100 people on it.

When I arrived in Pittsburgh a day before the show at 5:30am, I couldn't find the list. I drove around the venue trying to find the "clipboard". Luckily I found them.

Let's say you arrive early in the morning, park yourself in front of the gate on showdate. Then 200 people come up to the gate, upset that you are not on a list when you thought you got their early.

Just giving scenarios.

This is partially why U2 did the lottery system for the Vertigo arena tours. Don't be surprised if it returns.

So you sign up, go be a tourist, then see a show?
WOW! That's a winning system.

However, I thought the purpose was to maintain order, not allow tourism.
I've got to leave for a few hours & can't be online, but I really want to know: did you stay with the list, holding your spot in line, from Sunday morning until the gates opened Tuesday night?

I know for a fact that several folks that I was with in Montreal 2 already had their name on the Toronto list ahead of me and they were not even in Toronto yet.
This, in my opinion, is the biggest offense from the line running in this tour. It started happening in Anaheim (that I know of, maybe it started earlier, but I know it wasn't the case in Denver or Seattle). If you're not there, you should not get a number. Even if you're at the airport, or parking your car, or at the office, or still 200 miles away from the venue.

When this started happening, yes, like you, Mark, I started hoping that someone would put me down as their +1, but then I felt a little guilty. Because I knew it was unfair to the others who have made their trek to the venue. No one ended up having to do that for me. I've seen people get so competitive in this line-up thing it's ridiculous. Well, in my last U2360 show in Pittsburgh, I actually skipped lining up. And I got to watch the band walk in behind the stage, and ended up with some pretty great shots I took from behind the RZ areas. Sure, I didn't get any interaction from the band members, but I think if I had brought a sign when I waited behind the stage, they would have seen it. Bono turned and gave the peace sign just after I yelled, "Bono!!" Great memories. No stress of lining up. :D

I've got to leave for a few hours & can't be online, but I really want to know: did you stay with the list, holding your spot in line, from Sunday morning until the gates opened Tuesday night?

All I can say is Mike, Ami, and myself were the only ones actually in the line most of the day (out of the first 10 or so).

The whole list stuff sounds pretty nasty. I live in Europe. We've had all sorts of inofficial lists running here for all kinds of concerts, but as far as I know they never really worked out. The only thing that worked if you wanted to be up front was: Come early, spend the day there, queue up, run. I've never thought about anything else. If I wanted a good spot, I'd come early. If I wanted to be a tourist and do sightseeing on show day, I either had a seat on the stands or I didn't expect to end up in front of the stage. It's an easy system and fair, if you ask me. Now people trying to skip the line or squeeze themselves in front of you when arriving 30 minutes before U2 come on stage or keeping places for their friends who arrived shortly before the show started ... that's a whole different story and don't remind me of all that crap we've had to witness :doh:

I cannot say anything about the GA line at the shows you guys are arguing about here because I wasn't there, I can only say that some of that stuff sounds really fucked up and I wouldn't be happy about that roll call system at all.

The Pittsburgh line was not the best-run of the shows that I've been to. I heard several complaints that the people who ended up running it (the ones who belonged to the list who started near A Gate - I was in the other line before the two merged) refused to cross people who did not make roll call off. Also at the very end, some slower runners in the front switched with faster runners in the back, which I don't think is the right thing to do, but oh well.

BUT

It was probably the most calm line I have been in all tour. Besides what I mentioned above there was no bickering at all. So I don't know why anyone would raise much of a fuss about it.

Tony's upset about the plus one rule, but if he was there the entire time (and by his accounts he should have been because he had a higher number on the list than me, I believe), he should have said something when the lists were merged and no one had problems with it. Several issues were brought up when the lists were merged. The plus-one rule was not one of them. The only issues the people in both lines disagreed with were the number of check-ins (my line wanted one per day; the other line didn't want any until the day of show); the time of roll call (the people in the other line did not know Dave and didn't believe he would take care of us and take charge on the day of the show... hence the change from the 7 a.m. roll call to 5 a.m. ... when they finally met Dave and believed we would be moved at 6); and writing numbers on hands in advance (an issue I didn't care about one way or another). That was it. Both sides agreed on the plus ones, as long as the people who were signed up showed up that same day. Sounds like someone who had a shift running the line didn't get the memo. The people running it by that point (the original A Gate line) should have done a better job explaining the rules.

he should have said something when the lists were merged and no one had problems with it. Several issues were brought up when the lists were merged. The plus-one rule was not one of them.

We can agree that the line was run poorly.
We can agree that you and Lou (and others) added people.
But I can't agree that it's fair, or should ever happen.

I was #5 at the show. What does it matter to me?
Because I know what it's like to HAVE to work, and can't show up early. I know what it's like to have children as a priority.
I know what it's like.
The people that can only take in one show and get # 450 while someone else that shows up the same time gets # 50 because they have a "friend".

There was one that showed up on tuesday and was in the top 100.
Is that fair?

And no, my voice wouldn't have mattered. I tried to say what I thought was fair, and was told to "SHUT UP".

Here is my post regarding the GA line: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f304/my-ga-experience-the-list-is-tainted-211887.html

All I can say is Mike, Ami, and myself were the only ones actually in the line most of the day (out of the first 10 or so).

You've avoided the question. By your own reasoning, the three of you should have lost your place in line because you were only there "most of the day". You chastise Romi, in part, because he liked the sign up & check in method that allowed people to leave Heinz Field & actually see something of Pittsburgh besides the underneath of a bridge down by the river. I suppose you would prefer the "roach motel" method of Montreal 2? You can check in, but you can't check out? :eyebrow:

I'll say this & I'm done with the subject: the 'plus one' idea is bad news & needs to die; it just causes confusion, division & irritation. What's more, it's useless. At Baltimore, Nashville & Pittsburgh I was on the rail with folks who didn't queue all day - either because they didn't want to or because they didn't have the luxury of doing so like I did, yet they got a nearly identical position as myself. Do I feel any animosity towards them or does that lessen my enjoyment of the GA line up? Not at all. The nastiness and accusations in your comments certainly do. You want to be angry about the rules that came with the Pittsburgh line up, fine - take it up with the line leaders in person. Don't single out one or two people on the internet AFTER the fact (people who, by the way, followed the rules, as distasteful as you may find them).

Does anyone have any video of DEENA aka MEMPHIS MULLEN getting her Larry hug when he came off the stage to her... as the band was walking onstage during Space Oddity????????? :hyper:

Please post them or PM me if you do! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug:

HELLO PEOPLE WHO WERE AT THE SHOW!!!!:wave:

I'm gonna ask again, does anyone have any video or photos of Larry coming OFF the stage and hugging Deena as the band entered the stadium? If so please post it or PM me and I'll get it to her, thanks!

Personally I wish everyone would realize it's way more important and relevant at this point in the tour to talk about how terrific the show/setlist was and ALSO help out a fellow fan by finding her a vid or photo...than to continue all this negativity. The shows are coming to an end, and the next tour will be arenas so queuing will be different than it was on a stadium tour....it will either go back to being overnight actual camping (ala Elevation/Vertigo) probably including a lottery system OR it will be the rumoured seats. Either way at the end of the tour everyone stresses out, bloods boil, tempers and tantrums run high, but at the END did YOU enjoy the show? This is what matters. Go back and look at Hawaii and see how much fighting and BS there was. But in the end, the show, the band, and your love of them is what matters!

I'm a great example, I HATED the lottery and allowed it to effect me and destroy my Vertigo experience. :banghead:

Once I grew up and got past it all and put out good vibes on this tour....well, look at what happened! :dance:

Karma baby. Indeed. :angel:

I hope this post will be taken for what it is...a simple call for ......:zen::loveshower::grouphug::heart: and not negativity.

"You've been all over and it's been all over you
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom