July 23, 2011 TCF Stadium Minneapolis II - A Sort Of U2 Prairie Homecoming Companion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather forecasters cannot predict tomorrow's weather correctly, and you are all obsessing about next Saturday night.

Relax! :cool:

I noticed the ZooTV date in the Dome also. According to U2gigs, it was at the then-sparkling-new Target Center. The closest the Outside Broadcast tour got to here was Camp Randall in Madison and a bean field in Ames, Iowa.

I was umpiring earlier today. Y'all better hope this humidity cracks before Saturday, otherwise it'll be like Nashville Redux, with people needing to be carted out all over the place. I'll go by the stadium tonight and see if there's been any progress.

Also, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, the U does with the see-through fencing at the open end of the stadium.

I was at that Ames bean field show. And it was an excellent show! My brother went to Camp Randall on the next stop.

The weather forecasters cannot predict tomorrow's weather correctly, and you are all obsessing about next Saturday night.

Relax! :cool:

I'm used to not trusting weather forecasts beyond tomorrow in Seattle. I've forgotten if the rest of the country is more predictable or not!

For the Twitter hashtag, I'd say something Minnesota-related. It doesn't seem that much of anything around here is just "Minneapolis" or "St. Paul." It's always "Minnesota."

Quick stop by the New Brickhouse before church tonight. No field cover from midfield towards the closed end. They're going to have to hustle all week to get it done. Also, expect to see the lights left on overnight during the construction project.

Lincoln County is indeed on the closed end of the stadium, However, I'm not sure what side of Gate C that's going to be. Gate C is dead center on the closed end. Looking at the gate from the outside, the wide door that leads to the field is to the left.

Also, the Weather Underground's crack forecasting team is not forecasting the dew point to sink below 68 for the next week. Make sure you bring chairs/portable shade/water! I got away with not bringing a chair to Chicago due to where they had us line up, but there's nowhere to hide on the east end of the New Brickhouse. IT. ARE. HOT. One of these hot rain squalls wouldn't be a bad thing over the pit, IMHO...

In Seattle, I don't think the flooring and Claw structure started going up until Monday. I was surprised on Friday to see that it was still just the basic structure; the screen and speakers and whatnot were not up yet.

And then Friday night, late, everything was done, and they were testing the lights and screen - that was cool to see a little sneak peek when I swung by Friday night.

Leaning Tower 6pm onward Friday July 22 get-together list:
(copy and add yourself)

kramwest1 (Mark and Heather)
ryancoke71(Amy and Sean)
Zoney! (zonelistener) and Schmeg (Jeff and Megan)
corianderstem (Alicia) (maybe with 2 or 3 more, but maybe not)
KristenCaNaDiAn (Kristen)
kellyahern (Kelly)
ARW (Amanda)
Bono_212 (Ashley) and LemonMelon (Travis) tentatively
secretly alone (Val) + 1
bonocomet (Cathleen)
Bono Mot (Susi) and jayesbaby (Debbie)
vjacqb (Alma) and cjreeds (Connie)

Leaning Tower 6pm onward Friday July 22 get-together list:
(copy and add yourself)

kramwest1 (Mark and Heather)
ryancoke71(Amy and Sean)
Zoney! (zonelistener) and Schmeg (Jeff and Megan)
corianderstem (Alicia) (maybe with 2 or 3 more, but maybe not)
KristenCaNaDiAn (Kristen)
kellyahern (Kelly)
ARW (Amanda)
Bono_212 (Ashley) and LemonMelon (Travis) tentatively
secretly alone (Val) + 1
bonocomet (Cathleen)
Bono Mot (Susi) and jayesbaby (Debbie)
vjacqb (Alma) and cjreeds (Connie)
GopherMacPhisto (Paul) +2

Today it says 84 (yay!) and scattered storms (boo!).

I called the stadium to ask about water. She went to check, and while she couldn't come back with a concrete answer about bringing in your own water, she said to plan on NOT being able to bring in your own water, but there would be a lot of vendors walking around to sell it.

I asked if we could bring in an empty water bottle and fill it inside, and she said while she didn't know, she'd be surprised if you couldn't. Worst case scenario, if you try to bring it in and they make you throw it away, you're just out an empty plastic bottle.

Although it will be humid, 84 is not so disgustingly hot, so hopefully it won't be as much of an issue as it was the last few shows.

Holy Crap, less than a week away... my heart just started beating a little faster, this is going to be a GREAT week. Looks like the forecast is 90 for high on Saturday with 30% precip... hmm, we'll see.

Today it says 84 (yay!) and scattered storms (boo!).

I called the stadium to ask about water. She went to check, and while she couldn't come back with a concrete answer about bringing in your own water, she said to plan on NOT being able to bring in your own water, but there would be a lot of vendors walking around to sell it.

I asked if we could bring in an empty water bottle and fill it inside, and she said while she didn't know, she'd be surprised if you couldn't. Worst case scenario, if you try to bring it in and they make you throw it away, you're just out an empty plastic bottle.

Although it will be humid, 84 is not so disgustingly hot, so hopefully it won't be as much of an issue as it was the last few shows.

Thanks for trying :hug: I hope they mean they'll have people walking around the pit selling water and not just the stands. They're gonna need a lot because everyone's gonna want to buy it.

Yeah, I made sure to mention "Well, I have seats, but I know a lot of people that will be on the field and will need water," so she heard me.

They've been very lovely both times I've called. Oh, Minnesotans (said with appropriate midwest 'o' tones). :heart:

I couldn't beliee they didn't have people selling water on the floor in Toronto. Even though Montreal was sort of a mess, they had more than enough bottles of $5 water for you to buy.

I couldn't beliee they didn't have people selling water on the floor in Toronto. Even though Montreal was sort of a mess, they had more than enough bottles of $5 water for you to buy.

They were around us until Interpol, then NO water on the floor, only beer for the rest of the night. Rogers Centre fail :doh:

Yeah, I made sure to mention "Well, I have seats, but I know a lot of people that will be on the field and will need water," so she heard me.

They've been very lovely both times I've called. Oh, Minnesotans (said with appropriate midwest 'o' tones). :heart:

For the Twins games today (doubleheader... oy, the heat), they were emphasizing that people can bring empty bottles into the stadium (allowed, as always), but that they would have large water containers by the entrances that people could then fill from.
If it's this hot on Saturday, I would expect something like that. There are not enough vending windows in TCF to handle normal crowds, so tons of thirsty people could be an issue. We'll see what they have for vendors walking around. I haven't heard the call go out for extra vendors yet.

But in Toronto they let you bring in water which was good :up:

They should have let us know farther back in the GA lines. Unfortunately, the well-run GA lines at the Rogers Centre seemed to end once you got the the steps and up. So, our line was full of people who had tickets to the other GA gate. The only time security came by was to pre-search bags before entry. I'm glad they were good for the people who waited all day; they could have done a lot more for those that came later--no announcement of the gate changes or that there were 2 GA gates. :down:

My bottle was cracked open but I hadn't had any of it, and they made me leave it. What's the difference?

They didn't let us bring any water in Nashville. :angry: I pleaded with the security supervisor, saying it's so hot, even if we bring one bottle inside, I know I'll need more throughout the show. But the one I'm bringing in was just in case I can't make it to the stands. He tried to explain, saying well, we don't really know what's inside the bottle (mine was sealed, by the way...) and that water will be available for purchase on the floor. Yes, for $4 a bottle. :doh: I found out later that I think they were trying to raise funds with the sale of beverages, but really, what's one bottle of water from outside going to hurt?

The GA "vet" that I am, I always bring $20 with me to the floor. Even if I have to purchase water from the stands, I will do it, because the alternative (being thirsty) is just unbearable. But some of my friends didn't have cash with them. I ended up spending the entire $20 just for water/Powerade that day. And the kid selling at the stand smiled as he handed me my bottles, and he said, "Thank you for supporting junior derby!" :mad: Like I had any other choice...

I hope the Minnesotans are more understanding :D

The joke in Montreal was that the water was $4.50, but we never got any change back. I spent so much money on water over those 2 days.:crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom