Jordan going to Harvard???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: thanks, biff

U2girl said:

I'm waiting for the "rich guy's kid goes to a posh school" backlash.

Ya, me too. Isn't it ok to provide better or more for your children than what you had? I don't see why it would be such a disgrace or selling out....like someone else posted here already it doesn't jive with a rockers street cred, but Bono is in a whole other category to me because of his activism.
Also, they have received so much back lash already because of their wealth, houses, planes, lifestyle ect.. (which they rightly deserve to enjoy) so something tells me it wouldn't bother Bono in the least to be critized yet again for this.

^ Yeah, not to mention that it should be JORDAN'S DECISION. Lots of kids a LOT less wealthy than her go to Ivy League schools. If that's where she wants to go, then she should go. I went to a school I could not afford, my parents didn't pay for anything, but it was MY decision.

last unicorn said:
Bono wasn't poor, nor was he rich, the whole debate is ridiculous. We knew he grew up in a violent area, he has spoken about that a lot. Even if you are not "poor" and have to go bed hungry, this isn't exactly a great surrounding for a child or teenager.

As for money, I have the impression he didn't care about that a lot. Some stories say that Ali payed for a lot of stuff when they started dating, others say that he was carless with the money he had, gave it away to his friends and never asked for it to be given back.

We weren't there, we don't know what things he experienced, I think the whole debate is ridiculous, and saying his a liar is even more.
I think you are missing my point here. :shrug:

And maybe "liar" is a bit strong, but then I do have an interview from about 1982 where Edge states that Bono tended to streeeettttcccccchhhhhh the truth..... Ah semantics! :D

Yeah, but "stretching the truth" is something that is very common when you are trying to promote something and we all know how good Bono is in hyping up things or giving the media soundbytes at every possible occasion.

Oh, I'm sure Edge IS on fire. Maybe not so much on the outside, more on the inside.

biff said:
Bono stretch the truth?! You mean The Edge isn't really on fire?

:sad: WHAT??????

He must be! Bono said he was so Edge MUST be on fire! :yes::yes::yes:

:wink: anyway, I'm all for what Lies said, it doesn't matter what school BONO wants to go, or wants his daughter to go to... it matters where SHE wants to go... and I don't think the argueing here about Bono's upbringing is taking us anywhere.... ..

Galeongirl said:

Bono said he was so, Edge MUST be on fire! :yes::yes::yes:

... ..

Actually, upon reflection, I think that glow we see in the distance is not Edge on fire. I suspect it's actually the light shining out of Bono's arse. That's something that tends to blind rather a lot of people, sadly.

biff said:
Actually, upon reflection, I think that glow we see in the distance is not Edge on fire. I suspect it's actually the light shining out of Bono's arse. That's something that tends to blind rather a lot of people, sadly.

:love:

biff said:

:hmm: could be, could be!

Bono wasn't poor, he lived in a middle-class house in a middle class neighbourhood in the sorroundings of Dublin, near the airport, what happened is that, after the building of the Ballymun towers, the whole area became devaluated and there started to be many problems and violence as so many unemployed youngsters were crowding it and with no services of any kind. More or less at the same time Bono's mother died and two men and a boy living alone must have been a very challenging situation for his father to manage (and an expensive one), remember it was 1974 and, at least in Europe, most men didn't know how to cook or do any other housework, I don't know but I guess they were eating airplane food 'cause it was already cooked, but can you imagine eating airplane food every day?
He wasn't rich either, he's told he couldn't afford to buy a guitar or take music classes. He did register in the university of Dublin, but after two weeks he had to leave due to some administrative problems, his father wanted him to enter the civil service and he asked for a year to try to live on music, and you know the result, but he always says he regrets not having been able to study English literature.

These pics are from last summer, here you can see Bono's house in Cedarwood Road and Sherriff Street (it is where Bono is walking in SYCDIOYO video) and the last two are from Ballymun, which is about two hundred metres to north.

DSC02738.jpg

SherriffStreet.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02747.jpg

Last edited:
I've been gone for a while and what do I come back to.

A roasting b/c I dropped the ""p-word."
:wink:

Folks, I've been a fan since since I was 12 yrs old, in 1981. I've read just about everything there is written in English and published in America at some point, and I am well aware that the address 10 Cedarwood Lane/Drive was not from some Dickensian slum. (though today it's not in the great part of town, I can tell you that.)

I have to thank you for your pics though. I don't have a really large one of Bono's childhood home, and it'll make a nice addition to my collection!

What I should have spelled out (like for little kids in kingergarten) is: They may have been middle class growing up, but in their early careerhood, yes, they WERE "poor". If you measure poverty level by personal income, and a lot of people do, I'd say in the early 80's they weren't in the middle class. On the first couple of tours they couldn't even afford a decent bottle of wine. They may have had travel expenses paid, been well fed, borrowed someone's house for a honeymoon, but touring in the early 80's...well. They may not have flopped in flea-infested cheap motels on tour, and they may have had nice little mini-homes after '84 or so, but I'd hardly have envied them....and by the time of The Joshua Tree, Oh My God!!!! After making an album that sold millions of copies, holy cow, Larry says he actually made 20,000 dollars, enough to buy a motorcycle! Hardly middle-class riches, compared to the money they were generating!

What I meant was, the Hewson kids' childhood is MUCH different from their parents. And it's the Hewsons I was thinking of when I posted that. The band has a clause that states that their copyright ownership etc is good until 75 yrs after the death of the last band member. So the kids are set for life, barring some great change.

That is MUCH different than your typical middle class upbringing. U2 in their early years DID have to struggle to get to the top. And it was a long, brutal 9-yr (IMO) uphill struggle, and the bottom could have fallen out at any time. So I can see them telling their kids that they might have been "poor" (of course we don't know this, it's none of our business, but it helps when your formerly "posh" home is now in the bad part of town, and you don't want to hang out there.)

If Bono wanted to re-write history for his kids, history has helped in a big way. All he'd have to do is take his kids and show them Ballymun to make them motivated to do something with their lives that counts. I imagine that that "hard-working middle-class" ethic is still ingrained in him...and how his kids would think their parents were "poor." It's all relative.

As for re-writing history...Bruce was very good at spinning a "working class" myth as well...it wasn't only Jon Landau that did it.

Last edited:
Dear Teta, I'm sorry you feel so upset, to tell you the truth I hadn't even read your previous post, I just got in the middle of a debate about Bono's being poor or not and I wanted to put things in perspective, I understood that some people thought he was brought up in Ballymun, which is not true, and, as I have been there this summer, I posted some of the photographs just to show the difference. Ireland was a very poor country in the 70's, what I wanted to say is that his family weren't desperately poor, but that not having a mum at home may have made things worse for them.
Like you I'm a long time fan, I can remember the band playing in Holland park (London) for a couple of hundreds and I know they weren't rich then, in fact they were sharing a flat near my own and I was a student then. Much later, when I stayed in Ireland, I lived in Dublin for a year or so, I rented an apartament near the beach for the summer and it wasn't close to Bono's house but I had to pass by it everytime I would take the dart ( a kind of train) and I can tell that Bono's house was quite modest for being such a superstar, I never saw them but their reputation in the village was very good, as being very nice, friendly people and having very good behaved kids.
What can I tell you? Please forgive me, I have never, ever thought I could make someone unhappy with my post, otherwise I would have never posted it. Sorry:reject:

Back
Top Bottom