It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the show last night and the GA line was a fiasco. I arrived at 1pm and walked up to where the Gillette stadium website said the GA line would be forming. I was told that the line wouldn't start until 2:30. My wife and I were fine with that so we went and had lunch and a few drinks. At 2:30 we returned to discover only 7 people on the line and we joined it. The line grew to about 50 people by 3:00. At that time people started showing up with numbers written on their hands with sharpies. They demanded to be put at the front of the line, and a few of them tried to force their way to the front. Security repeatedly told them that their numbers were meaningless and to join the back of the line. A bunch of these people were complaining to me that they'd been in line since Thursday and that I should let them in front of me. My wife and I refused to move and said "if you had been in line since Thursday you would be in front of me because I got here at 2:30 today". Some of them actually started crying. I kept telling them that if I was a member of a closed facebook group I would have known to check in 2 times a day at a Dunkin Donuts located 2 miles from the venue. They had no answer for that. Some of these idiotic "line leaders" would try to act like they were with the band or security and tell me I had to move because I didn't have a number on my hand. Gillette security stood firm and said that the line formed at 2:30 and the numbers were meaningless. One of them said "I can buy a sharpie and put a 1 on my hand, but that doesn't mean I'm first on line". At around 4:00 Gillette security changed its tune and ordered anyone without a number to the back of the line. My wife and I protested and said that we were told that the numbers were meaningless and now we are being told the opposite. We were told that there is nothing we can do and the decision has been made to honor the numbers. Apparently the entitled assholes convinced someone that they belonged in the front of the line. My wife and I didn't cry, carry on, or threaten violence. We just moved to the back of the line. When the gates opened we just calmly walked to the main stage and got a spot directly in front of Bono with only 1 person in front of us.
The show was excellent. I'm not sure that I've ever had a better time at a U2 show. Oh, and to the guy who is bragging about his drumstick and setlist collection, I have a beautiful wife and 2 beautiful daughters. Top that, asshole.

Bravo! :applaud: I was on the main stage front rail 40 feet from those who complained. Other than one or two friends I had who chose to participate, I wouldn't have been sad to see it fail. List keepers were implying there was a connection between SWAT team members being present and the line drama. At best, they were idiotic. At worst, they were intentionally trying to mislead people into thinking the situation was approaching riot territory.

I had my own issues with Gillette security, but not because of this.

Last edited:
I was at the show last night and the GA line was a fiasco. I arrived at 1pm and walked up to where the Gillette stadium website said the GA line would be forming. I was told that the line wouldn't start until 2:30. My wife and I were fine with that so we went and had lunch and a few drinks. At 2:30 we returned to discover only 7 people on the line and we joined it. The line grew to about 50 people by 3:00. At that time people started showing up with numbers written on their hands with sharpies. They demanded to be put at the front of the line, and a few of them tried to force their way to the front. Security repeatedly told them that their numbers were meaningless and to join the back of the line. A bunch of these people were complaining to me that they'd been in line since Thursday and that I should let them in front of me. My wife and I refused to move and said "if you had been in line since Thursday you would be in front of me because I got here at 2:30 today". Some of them actually started crying. I kept telling them that if I was a member of a closed facebook group I would have known to check in 2 times a day at a Dunkin Donuts located 2 miles from the venue. They had no answer for that. Some of these idiotic "line leaders" would try to act like they were with the band or security and tell me I had to move because I didn't have a number on my hand. Gillette security stood firm and said that the line formed at 2:30 and the numbers were meaningless. One of them said "I can buy a sharpie and put a 1 on my hand, but that doesn't mean I'm first on line". At around 4:00 Gillette security changed its tune and ordered anyone without a number to the back of the line. My wife and I protested and said that we were told that the numbers were meaningless and now we are being told the opposite. We were told that there is nothing we can do and the decision has been made to honor the numbers. Apparently the entitled assholes convinced someone that they belonged in the front of the line. My wife and I didn't cry, carry on, or threaten violence. We just moved to the back of the line. When the gates opened we just calmly walked to the main stage and got a spot directly in front of Bono with only 1 person in front of us.
The show was excellent. I'm not sure that I've ever had a better time at a U2 show. Oh, and to the guy who is bragging about his drumstick and setlist collection, I have a beautiful wife and 2 beautiful daughters. Top that, asshole.
giphy.gif

Ian, cool it. Just because you don't like him and/or what he's defending doesn't give you free license to insult him at every turn.

(that last part goes for everyone in this thread)

Hi guys, new member here. So, I'll be attending my very first GA show on Weds at Metlife, and I intend to follow the directions given to me by Metlife staff and lineup at 10am. I was specifically told multiple times that any outside, fan-made lists would not be honored. I truly hope that their word is good on this matter. I think it is completely improper and disgraceful that some fans think they are so entitled that they do not have to wait outside in the heat like the rest of us. Never have I encountered such shameful concertgoers before, and never has any such thing ever happened when seeing other artists. If you want your spot, you put your time in, that means your physical body is physically in line on the premises. If you want to be ahead of me in line on Weds morning, you better beat me there to the gate, otherwise we are gonna have a big problem.

Hi guys, new member here. So, I'll be attending my very first GA show on Weds at Metlife, and I intend to follow the directions given to me by Metlife staff and lineup at 10am. I was specifically told multiple times that any outside, fan-made lists would not be honored. I truly hope that their word is good on this matter. I think it is completely improper and disgraceful that some fans think they are so entitled that they do not have to wait outside in the heat like the rest of us. Never have I encountered such shameful concertgoers before, and never has any such thing ever happened when seeing other artists. If you want your spot, you put your time in, that means your physical body is physically in line on the premises. If you want to be ahead of me in line on Weds morning, you better beat me there to the gate, otherwise we are gonna have a big problem.

I would suggest you have our support. The venue laid out the rules, you've followed what is publicly available, you own your spot.

No sarcasm, I hope you get pulled up on stage, a setlist, guitar picks and a drumstick.

Welcome! But be prepared for the List to be honored. It's stupid, but that's what has been happening this tour. Still, getting there by 10 will get you a very good spot, either super close 1 or 2 back from the main stage, or 5 or 6 back from the B stage.

Have fun!

I would really like to know, on what authority does anyone claim to validate such a list? And if I refuse to move, after rightfully waiting in my spot, and after being told by Metlife staff that I was in the right, what will happen? You're gonna have to physically remove me from the line, and that ain't gonna be pretty.

You sir, are a superstar.

I was at the show last night and the GA line was a fiasco.

From what I've heard, also from friends who were there, that is to put it mildly. It appears that venue security was completely inadequate for the whole situation. Which is kinda strange because there have been concerts at that stadium before (including U2 8 years ago).

I arrived at 1pm and walked up to where the Gillette stadium website said the GA line would be forming. I was told that the line wouldn't start until 2:30. My wife and I were fine with that so we went and had lunch and a few drinks. At 2:30 we returned to discover only 7 people on the line and we joined it. The line grew to about 50 people by 3:00. At that time people started showing up with numbers written on their hands with sharpies. They demanded to be put at the front of the line, and a few of them tried to force their way to the front. Security repeatedly told them that their numbers were meaningless and to join the back of the line.

And here's one thing example why venue security was so bad. The people who had been queuing for a long time, were all wristbanded (and numbered) by venue security around noon and told to come back at 15:45. So somewhere between noon and 14:30 venue security changed their policies.
Yes, we can talk alot about how insane the people are that started the line 4 days in advance. How stupid it is to have these checkins at various places around the stadium (including some Dunkin Donuts more than a mile from the stadium). That is all valid to make these arguments. But to prevent an event with 50K+ people to descend into chaos there needs to be consistency with the organizers. And with venue security saying one thing and five minutes later something completely opposite and then threatening the people they announced something to, that is unacceptable behaviour.

At around 4:00 Gillette security changed its tune and ordered anyone without a number to the back of the line. My wife and I protested and said that we were told that the numbers were meaningless and now we are being told the opposite. We were told that there is nothing we can do and the decision has been made to honor the numbers. Apparently the entitled assholes convinced someone that they belonged in the front of the line.

From what I understand, that was when U2's security manager took over. He made venue security honour the promises they made earlier in the day.
BTW, from your reaction (as you write that you protested) you're probably an entitled asshole too as you too tried to convince venue security you belonged there (and with your mention of using a 'closed facebook group' as an argument you seemed to know that there were people who were lining up for the concert longer than you were).

My wife and I didn't cry, carry on, or threaten violence. We just moved to the back of the line. When the gates opened we just calmly walked to the main stage and got a spot directly in front of Bono with only 1 person in front of us.

This is also a good reminder that, indeed, you don't have to show up very early to have a great spot. On this stadium tour, there are many, many great spots.

I would really like to know, on what authority does anyone claim to validate such a list? And if I refuse to move, after rightfully waiting in my spot, and after being told by Metlife staff that I was in the right, what will happen? You're gonna have to physically remove me from the line, and that ain't gonna be pretty.

If Metlife security says you're OK, you will be (outside of entitled fans yelling at you). Unfortunately, many times security folds to the masses and enforced the stupid list. Also, in general, the list people will do their line up sometime before 10am, usually around 6am.

If Metlife security says you're OK, you will be (outside of entitled fans yelling at you). Unfortunately, many times security folds to the masses and enforced the stupid list. Also, in general, the list people will do their line up sometime before 10am, usually around 6am.

Again, I have zero problem with them lining up at 6am if they think they need to, even tho the venue said not to, and even tho there is literally just a swap outside of the Metlife property. If they want to sit there and stay there then I'm totally cool with it. My problem is if I am in line and someone walks up, fresh out of their hotel room, and says they are special so they can cut me. I refuse to allow this to happen without a fight.

From what I've heard, also from friends who were there, that is to put it mildly. It appears that venue security was completely inadequate for the whole situation. Which is kinda strange because there have been concerts at that stadium before (including U2 8 years ago).

And here's one thing example why venue security was so bad. The people who had been queuing for a long time, were all wristbanded (and numbered) by venue security around noon and told to come back at 15:45. So somewhere between noon and 14:30 venue security changed their policies.
Yes, we can talk alot about how insane the people are that started the line 4 days in advance. How stupid it is to have these checkins at various places around the stadium (including some Dunkin Donuts more than a mile from the stadium). That is all valid to make these arguments. But to prevent an event with 50K+ people to descend into chaos there needs to be consistency with the organizers. And with venue security saying one thing and five minutes later something completely opposite and then threatening the people they announced something to, that is unacceptable behaviour.

From what I understand, that was when U2's security manager took over. He made venue security honour the promises they made earlier in the day.

This is also a good reminder that, indeed, you don't have to show up very early to have a great spot. On this stadium tour, there are many, many great spots.

Marty, I agree with most of what you said. 80% or more of the drama yesterday was due to Gillette Stadium security. They created an unsafe environment. Zero communication with us, forcing an unnecessary crush from one line to the next by saying they didn't have staff to man the line, not allowing us to sit on the floor and rest, etc. After 3 awful U2 GA experiences in that venue, I'll be splurging for a seat or Red Zone should they come back to Foxboro.

That being said, the show was amazing and security snafus did not ruin it for me.

Now I see folks claiming on Twitter that they have spoken to Meadowlands security and that their line will be honored. I spoke to customer service over the phone and they repeatedly told me that no such line or lists would be honored. So somebody is lying.

Now I see folks claiming on Twitter that they have spoken to Meadowlands security and that their line will be honored. I spoke to customer service over the phone and they repeatedly told me that no such line or lists would be honored. So somebody is lying.

Don't sweat it. If you arrive around 10 AM then you won't be the first one and those who have been 'in line' longer are likely all in queue already. As someone said earlier, they'll probably check in around 6 AM or so and will stay there from that time on.
Just because people here start telling stories of 'line leaders being away all day until doors open' or 'people checking in while they're in another country' that doesn't mean that those stories are true (or rather, the norm, as there might've been exceptions to prove the rule). Don't get bothered by it, turn up mid morning, wait and enjoy the show. It's not worth stressing over something only the most fanatical care about.

(P.S. Likely customer service was (unknowingly) giving out wrong information, though they'd likely also not know what will be going on Wednesday and Thursday.)

No need to get personal dude. Dont act like a cliche vulgar Bostonian. We are all here for the band :)[/QUOTE]

I'm from New Jersey

. How else do you explain the rotating group of individuals being pulled up on stage over and over again? Thank GOD there is nobody going up this time around. Yes, you have some here and there that are one-timers but we also know a number of people who have gone up a handful of times if not more. How is it that the same people have enough of Larry's drumsticks to build a log cabin? Or Bono's harmonicas or setlists? So these people are being directly awarded for their obsessive.

I used to wonder the same thing; surely Bono understands how memorable it is to a fan to get pulled up on stage, so why not let different people have that chance?

But someone (who did get pulled up on stage, once) explained it like this, and it makes sense now: Bono selects the same people again and again because they are people who have demonstrated that they know how to behave properly on stage. They don't freeze up like a deer in headlights, nor do they go crazy and start screaming or holding onto Bono and refusing to let go. He wants someone who can be calm enough to follow his instructions, but engaged enough to make it a fun or special moment in the show for the 99% of the audience who hasn't seen that person on stage before. This is more likely to be true for shows in high- profile locations (e.g. NY, LA, Chicago, London, Paris, etc), than at shows in low profile locations (e.g. Minneapolis). U2's security has often been keeping an eye on these repeat on-stage people in the GA lines to make sure they aren't crazy before they ever get pulled up the first time.

Also, since my last post was off topic, I'll add my 2 cents and say I totally agree that the paper lists are total nonsense and unfair to 95% of GA ticket holders not on these or similar fan forums. Queue up the morning of the show, STAY IN LINE, and get to know the people lined up with you.

That said, I admit to going and putting my name on the list when I do find out one has been started. I tried fighting the system back during 360 and was defeated. I'm weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom