It's 9:10pm and I'm reliving Good Friday Elevation Vancouver...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truecoloursfly

The Fly
...and playing my boot in real time with the lights off and the volume CRANKED. And um, the DVD cued up (just for the balcony view of the Heart and stuff. the pix in my head of that night are better than any show I wasn't at).

icon22.gif

I'm such a goof. BUT I MISS THEM SO MUCH! Thank you, boys, for changing my life AGAIN.

*gotta say, though... the beverage in my hand is of rather better vintage than at GM Place*

all moony,
Deb D

MEMO TO *STORMY* -- okay, technically it isn't the same date, but see, it's Good Friday, I spent all day in church (just like last year) and had epiphanies thinking about Bono (just like last year) -- and then he's gonna say "Happy Easter!" at the end...

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

[This message has been edited by truecoloursfly (edited 03-29-2002).]

Hey I've been doing the beverage thing tonight too-still am, and tomorrow is the anniversary of my first of four shows last year. So I know how you feel!

*cheers*

oh wotthehell, I'm workin' on the anniversary, so... it's 9:50 and they've hauled a piano up for Bono to play and sing Sweetest Thing. It's so cute! Drink on the piano and everything. He looks a little bashful...

"I'd like to do something that's a-almost impossible for--for singers..."
and then he's introducing the boys. "...but God in His wisdom is fair, and Larry Mullen...cannot sing. Thank GOD."

In a Little While is sweet and soulful (just two days before Joey passed on...)

THEN Desire.
Then...
"We come from the North side of Dublin, we're ALLOWED to sing a love song, all right?...We had help on this one. It was written by Salman Rushdie, of the punk rock group, The Salman Rushdies."

It's the first time I've ever heard it. Just Bono's voice and Edge's guitar. It's glorious, and haunting. And it precedes Bad. I just about have a coronary.

no no coronary, better have a corona instead
wink.gif
besides, when 'the fly' starts you better be ready!

somewhere back there during WOWY all my knobs hit 11 and i'm damn near out of my body, slackjawed and swaying on the waves of joy strobing off this song, Walk On, and I know they're about to leave and I'm shaking my head..."Unto the Almighty! Thank YOU!" I can't catch my breath and there's a sob down deep in my throat. "Happy Easter! God bless you!"
What a blessing. I've never felt like this before. God is in the room, and they've just been celebrating the Guest of honour along with the rest of us.
I fall into my seat (useless until now
biggrin.gif
), on the rear balcony overlooking Edge's side of the stage, where I'd felt like I was in the sky, hovering in a cloud of glorious noise, and slump there until staff kicks me out.
I'm in a sea of people on the street outside; transit workers are striking so getting a cab is a chilly, jostling 45-min search. But I don't really care. I wander up and down the streets, almost holding my breath because I don't want this night to evaporate from my cells or seep out my pores, don't want my ears to stop buzzing. I finally arrive home, alone in my apartment, and i hardly know what to do with myself. My heart is echoing with a choir of Bonos -- "Hallelujah!..." all atop each other, I want to know what I'm feeling! I want to bottle it, label it, call it 100 decibels of Love or something...

Instead, I write.

[publicly, on U2tours.com:]

Bono is a man on fire. But with a very different flame from the dazzling, unpredictable one that made his reputation. The Bono I saw Friday night at GM Place in Vancouver moved deceptively slowly, he seemed, not mellow, but...pensive. He burned inside with a very deep and steady light that grew brighter and warmer with his ever-more frequent smiles. He enjoyed himself, and thanked us profusely for our support and thundering appreciation; then took his leave with a final shout over the din to thank The Almighty. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sounded like the audience did, as well. This may be U2's Elevation 2001 Tour, but it struck me in those bottomless eyes that maybe it's a bit of a Gratitude Tour, too.
The electrifying counterpoint, of course, to Bono's sweet vibe was the nuclear power plant of a rock band that looks like three skinny guys in t-shirts. While their singer was out front working the crowd at the tip of a heart-shaped runway, the Edge, Adam, and Larry were clustered inside it -- at the heart, indeed -- making a noise like an army and a music like avenging angels. While pretending no objectivity, I can still agree with the critics who suggest they just might be the best arena band, ever.
The sound was impeccable, and the lights and stage were elegant, rich enhancements of the songs -- no longer the (brilliant) multimedia barrage of the last decade, but a pared-down presentation that nonetheless revealed the theatre in its blood, and established the intimacy that only sound theatrical instincts can.
The boys covered the whole of their career thus far, reaching all the way back for a note-perfect I Will Follow and the early anthems, New Year's Day and Pride. They dipped (too briefly, for this fan) into Pop for Gone, into Rattle and Hum for a sexy acoustic-blues Desire, and more deeply into the Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind for six of the new songs. The pivotal Achtung Baby was well-represented, too, with a steamroller Even Better Than the Real Thing, Until the End of the World, and an effectively scaled-down Mysterious Ways, which found Bono lifted, on his back, by a video wall rising from the floor and then later reaching out in breathtaking silhouette against its projected shadow of a dancing woman. Late in the show, an emotional highlight was One, a ballad characteristically invested with more urgency and fire than most bands' full-on rockers; "one life, ya got to do what you should..." was heavy with Bono's spiritual desire, and by the time he got to "...with each other, sisters...brothers!" you could hear that exclamation mark, as he threw open his arm with each word in an invitation as humble as a monk's, as passionate as a preacher's.
Bullet the Blue Sky also provided powerful theatre even as it evolves with the years. Where does Edge go when he plays that song? Does he visit that pain and black rage every night? The apocalypse is now, baby, and Edge won't let you forget it. Bono wielded a spotlight throughout the guitar solo and spoken coda, just as on the JT tour, but with the same new deliberation that marked his whole performance -- he aimed and hit every section of the audience all around the arena (who rose on cue on the wave of the beam, of course), and in an inspired stroke, found the upper VIP suites in his sights just as he growled the words, "...peelin' off those dollar bills--ONE hundred! TWO hundred..." The final irony, as we Canadians hung on every detonation out of Larry's drums and Adam's bass, was Bono's intoning, "...outside is NOT America..." No one gets away clean, indeed.
But that song, as much as any gentler number, was powered by love. Such can be said of U2's entire repertoire, of course (look closer: "irony" was a 90's hallmark of the shows, but never the songs. Okay, Zooropa notwithstanding...Achtung Baby and especially Pop dug deep into the scariest places), but seldom as explicitly as the new album. The great, booming Elevation opened the show, and the quiet prayer that comprises the bridge on the CD became a brief but soaring hymn at the heart of a funky celebration: "Love, lift me up out of these blues...I believe in you." Bono tells us that Stuck in a Moment was written for Michael Hutchence, the sharing of which illuminates the dark battle we all wage, whatever our philosophical stripe: why pain? why evil? why me? why my children and my friends? why, when I want to believe in love??
U2 continues to matter because they know these questions in our heart of hearts, and they sing them. Eighteen years ago, to a martial beat, they sang, "The battle's just begun to claim the victory Jesus won." Friday night, they proclaimed that beginning yet again, a perpetual beginning perhaps, which may explain the undiminished conviction in the evening's delivery of Sunday Bloody Sunday, touched now with a humility and faith in the face of jadedness that they could not conjure in 1983. "Thanks for spending your hard-earned cash on a rock show," Bono told us, like we might merely be indulging in an expensive night out without the kids. (Or without the parents.) Yeah, as if, Bono.
Not when, on Good Friday, he can moan in an almost private aside, "Jesus...I'm alone in this world/and a fucked-up world it is, too/Wake up! Wake up, dead man..." Not when Edge and Bono can duet with equal parts beauty and desperation, "and if our way should falter along the stony pass..." or when they implore us in the closing song, "I know it aches, how your heart it breaks/you can only take so much/Walk on..." Not when With Or Without You has grown from a silky hit single into a swelling tide of longing and surrender and yes, lifts us to a nourishing moment of respite and maybe even peace.
Having established their place in the rock & roll firmament, I'd like to think U2 is carving out a place in the greater cultural landscape, like Dylan, the Beatles, and Springsteen before them, for taking "pop" music and its mass audience to a place well beyond its mandate. Their mission is compassion. "Digging up my soul, the goal is elevation."
And we are airborne.

[z edge -- the Fly was um, definitely a job for whiskey. Yup, a shot of what's left of the wee bottle I got in Connemara helped me out at home. Straight up. yow. *boomCHA*]

[and privately, to a U2 friend later that week; all of which I'm sharing here because I didn't have the sense to find Feedback until late in the summer!]

a reflection, really, on a new chapter in a personal relationship...between me and Bono ;-) But you'll see what I mean.
Bono really did let me, after all these years of being in AWE of the guy, fall in love with him, at last. He was SO very soft and humble, yearning, it seemed to me, to give... it had the quality of love: you know that overwhelming feeling of joy and gratitude and incredulity and humility when someone you adore, adores you back...when your body cries with "thank you, Universe!!"...that was Bono. Except he expressed his thanks with the mastery of his gift. In hindsight, I know I'd be in "worse" shape if I had been closer and around front [I got a 3rd-level seat behind the stage; no compromise, though: great view most of the time], really able to watch him up closer...
I was thrown some by his moving *so* very slowly and deliberately. He did a couple of sprints around the catwalk, as of old, so he isn't unable -- which did, in fact, cross my mind. So a lot of my thoughts early on in the show were concern for him...Yet, there was this glow of gentle joy in him that ultimately proved what he was really about.

His "yearning to give" was not that of 1984; in the past it's been somehow about reaching the audience, persuading them to come where he was. No, this was about letting the love in him out, to overflow and touch all of us. His dialogue was inside.
His quiet was...like a man in meditation, a singing meditation. He was, rather than distracted, so completely inside every song, each one was a conversation he was having with its subject, its inspiration, its Creator. In the end, I saw that he was confidently riding on the Oneness of the consciousness in the room. There was no self-consciousness in him, not even that of the disciplined actor that gave us MacPhisto and the Mirrorball Man and the Fly, all of which I loved. He used no masks to communicate this time; he used joy. Pure Zen emptiness, and he let the joy sing him.

They have been dedicating songs all week to Joey Ramone, who died on Sunday of lymphoma. Sunday night itself, Bono sang Amazing Grace for him, and then they played The Ramones' I Will Remember You. Bono sang Amazing Grace -- good God. Yet I don't feel like I missed it, really, since the whole spirit of the show -- of Bono's delivery, specifically -- feels devotional anyway. Hell, for the first time, I got unequivocally that With Or Without You is between him and his Christ. On the radio, huge as it was, that suggestion was always a little diluted by its mega-hit-single status. At the concert, it was so moving, so intimate and hungry and soaring, so plainly about the Invisible... and yet, a coworker who was there told me how it was during that song that her boyfriend chose to finally surrender and confess his love for her. And she cried, of course. And that is no less the real spirit of that song!

Oh, God, if you could have heard the end of Stuck in a Moment... Edge sang this distinct (moreso than on the album) falsetto melody-line during the gospel-ish coda at the end, while Bono sang his husky counterpoint, oh, it was so fiery and beautiful! I thought of you and your struggles, wished that song to you as they sang it; I wanted it to fill you up as it was filling all of us.

Some efficient Spirit sent me to that show, you know. Because there I learned what giving looks like, how great its reach can be, how deep and free the barely-tapped strength of community -- of love, agape -- truly is under all our petty bullshit. It showed me where my work is; not in getting rich making rock records *g* but in achieving elevation of spirit, of my own humanity through connection with another person. It affirmed, more specifically, what my work feels like, how I'll know when I've got there... and it showed me I will settle for nothing less. When I turned a corner in my life last year...there was Elevation 2001. Pointing me somewhere my soul can see, if not yet my mind.

The story continues...
Thanks for listening.

I am still enchanted by the light you brought to me
I still listen through your ears, and through your eyes I can see

Truecoloursfly,

WOW, what an incredible review!! I was there, at GM Place, that spiritually warm Good Friday as well (I still remember 'Mysterious Ways': "Good, gooood Friday! Good, gooood Friday...!). It was by far the best concert I've ever been to, and for one night, the people of Vancouver all knew they had a soul (at least the ones in attendance -- and perhaps even the ones on the outside, who must have somehow felt the music...).

I was lucky enough to get in the heart, and it was truly amazing. Bono hitting all the falsettos...and how about that unbelievable performance of 'Bad'!! You were there, so I really don't have to go into description of that song, but you know what I'm trying to say...it was...it was, yeah.

Even the moments leading up to the concert were magical: Bono coming outside to sign autographs by the green hedges (a little piece of Ireland out on Griffiths Way, next to GM Place -- and my last name happens to be Griffiths, haha). It was just all so right...

Thanks for posting this. What a beautiful reminder!

By the way, I live here in Vancouver too. Nice to know there are other Vancouver-ites on the board!

------------------
The Tempest

within a feeble attempt to capture the night, and the spirit moving among 21 thousand people...

"i'll try to say a little more, love went on and on, until it reached an open door. Then love itself; love itself was gone..."
L. Cohen

thank you for the memories..

Thanks, Michael, I'm glad you liked it. Did you get one of those autographs?? Guys, if you're ever in Kits and in need of eggs and milk (or tofu and a Starbucks latte), PLEASE drop into my work @ Broadway and Macdonald and introduce yourselves!

Bacchus, Mr Cohen has the right words for most deep experiences, methinks...

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
Guys, if you're ever in Kits and in need of eggs and milk (or tofu and a Starbucks latte), PLEASE drop into my work @ Broadway and Macdonald and introduce yourselves!

will do once i find some time true.. you're hop skip and a jump away from where i go to school!! hehe...
biggrin.gif

Truecolousfly -- Is there a Starbucks on Broadway and Macdonald?? You know, it's quite funny, I had to go up Macdonald to get to and from my old place, and I don't know how many times I've passed through that very intersection, and never noticed a Starbucks! (I'm not the most observant person you'll ever meet, haha.) I'll definitely pop in one of these days. Who should I ask for? (I'm guessing your co-workers wouldn't recognize the name "truecoloursfly".
wink.gif
)

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Truecolousfly -- Is there a Starbucks on Broadway and Macdonald??
LOL Michael. I'm at the supermarket which shall remain nameless. Starbucks is inside, and accountable for most of my takehome pay. Ask for Deb D (and if you mention U2, they'll probably know who you mean anyway. If I've trained 'em right).

BTW, if any of you guys were at PopMart here, I'd love to hear about it. (Did you write in here about it, MG?) email me: dabcd@mdi.ca

Deb D

Hey Deb D,

Ah, that Starbucks! Yes, I do know that certain grocery store that shall remain nameless...quite well in fact.

I didn't go to Popmart (*shock, horror*), but Bacchus did (didn't'chia' Bacchus?). I heard it was simply amazing, but he told me he thought Elevation was better in many ways (two totally different shows).

I'll give you an e-mail...

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-05-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom