It all started in Human Biology...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Peabody

Babyface
Hello to you all,

If you are out there, I am especially grateful to Gary T (affectionally known at that time as Tobe’s) who was sitting in front of me, just to the right in Mr Sassoon’s Human Biology Lab at school in 1983. Tobe’s and I were chatting about what music video clips we’d seen on TV the prior Saturday morning and I said I’d seen some cool guys rocking on a barge. I was fascinated with that concept as I’d toiled with various stage settings for my own shower performances backed by the sounds of AC/DC and INXS by then, but a barge over water was big doing’s. Apologies to my beautiful Mother for the water I wasted but I was doing full album performances way back before Bowie (Back in Black was a fan favourite, but not Mum’s. She could never understand the water on the bathroom floor beyond the shower....they were cassettes in those days and Side 2 was the encore).

Anyway, Tobe’s was a big fan who had all their albums to that point and told me to do myself a favour. I did as I wanted to see more of those boys on the barge live so I bought a copy of Under a Blood Red Sky and shoved it into my VHS player. I was mesmerised as the front man had since upped the production from a barge to the top of an amphitheater!

I was hooked and had to see this band live. So on 24 September ‘84, on the Perth leg of their ‘Live Under Australian Skies’ I travelled to the Entertainment Centre and sat in Block O Row K Seat 8 until the opening drum sequence of Gloria. The attendant attempted to block me, Fish Mathews and the surge of bodies behind from rushing down the aisles to the right hand side of the Standing Room Lounge area, but it was pointless. That was a big week as I saw INXS live two nights in a row later in the same week and venue pumping out classic tunes like Don’t Change. I walked out of all of those shows covered in sweat and have taken my shower performances on the road ever since.

I met my beautiful wife to be in 1990 and these days we buy the concert tickets first and then build our overseas holidays around them. U2 has taken us to places like Seattle and Vancouver and most recently Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam. Soon we are heading to Las Vegas and Nashville for the first time and I can’t wait to swing by Sun Studio in Memphis to stand on the King’s cross while imagining Larry belting out Angel of Harlem on that blue kit.

Thanks to Tobe’s, Fish, my Mum, my Wife and to you too if you made it this far for reading my moment of self indulgence.

Mr P.

Last edited:
Hello to you all,

If you are out there, I am especially grateful to Gary T (affectionally known at that time as Tobe’s) who was sitting in front of me, just to the right in Mr Sassoon’s Human Biology Lab at school in 1983. Tobe’s and I were chatting about what music video clips we’d seen on TV the prior Saturday morning and I said I’d seen some cool guys rocking on a barge. I was fascinated with that concept as I’d toiled with various stage settings for my own shower performances backed by the sounds of AC/DC and INXS by then, but a barge over water was big doing’s. Apologies to my beautiful Mother for the water I wasted but I was doing full album performances way back before Bowie (Back in Black was a fan favourite, but not Mum’s. She could never understand the water on the bathroom floor beyond the shower....they were cassettes in those days and Side 2 was the encore).

Anyway, Tobe’s was a big fan who had all their albums to that point and told me to do myself a favour. I did as I wanted to see more of those boys on the barge live so I bought a copy of Under a Blood Red Sky and shoved it into my VHS player. I was mesmerised as the front man had since upped the production from a barge to the top of an amphitheater!

I was hooked and had to see this band live. So on 24 September ‘84, on the Perth leg of their ‘Live Under Australian Skies’ I travelled to the Entertainment Centre and sat in Block O Row K Seat 8 until the opening drum sequence of Gloria. The attendant attempted to block me, Fish Mathews and the surge of bodies behind from rushing down the aisles to the right hand side of the Standing Room Lounge area, but it was pointless. That was a big week as I saw INXS live two nights in a row later in the same week and venue pumping out classic tunes like Don’t Change. I walked out of all of those shows covered in sweat and have taken my shower performances on the road ever since.

I met my beautiful wife to be in 1990 and these days we buy the concert tickets first and then build our overseas holidays around them. U2 has taken us to places like Seattle and Vancouver and most recently Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam. Soon we are heading to Las Vegas and Nashville for the first time and I can’t wait to swing by Sun Studio in Memphis to stand on the King’s cross while imagining Larry belting out Angel of Harlem on that blue kit.

Thanks to Tobe’s, Fish, my Mum, my Wife and to you too if you made it this far for reading my moment of self indulgence.

Mr P.

Lovely story, Mr Peabody. Welcome! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom