Is this true about the Boston DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the information. I particularly appreciate Partyslammer dredging up that post from Dave. Oh, the drama!

I actually have about half a dozen equally long posts and personal e-mails from people who got "Cheated" at that show. I thought the one I included in this thread best summed the whole thing up best though, plus it was posted on the Wire list publicly so I didn't feel I was betraying anyone's confidence even if I did omit the writer's last name.

It's funny, that Boston stand had a lot of "drama" to it that was buried in the home video release. I remember the incident with The Edge getting pissed, throwing down his guitar, kicking it across the stage and yelling at Larry after "Gone" generated almost as much controversy as the "Hole in the Heart" thing.

T.B.

To be honest, i wish i never read into this story. Every-time ill watch the Boston DVD now, this will be in the back of my head. In a way its spoilt for me a great DVD, due to knowing the band all night were being distracted by them protesters.

Idiots. I can understand being pissed off about having been in line that long and have people go in before you but if you have seen shows before and are going to see more shows in the future big whoop! Sit down and cry, like a bunch of babies! And they were still in the heart? Wow.:tsk: How selfish. Ya know I was very appreciative of the fact that I even got to see U2 in my life. It wasn't in the pit or up near the stage but I had good fun. Why can't they do the same?

And I'm with SexyBootsU2 on that, this kind of ruins the DVD for me. I like Elevation from Boston and now I'm probably going to think of this stupid protest everytime I watch it.:angry:

Idiots. I can understand being pissed off about having been in line that long and have people go in before you but if you have seen shows before and are going to see more shows in the future big whoop! Sit down and cry, like a bunch of babies! And they were still in the heart? Wow.:tsk: How selfish. Ya know I was very appreciative of the fact that I even got to see U2 in my life. It wasn't in the pit or up near the stage but I had good fun. Why can't they do the same?

And I'm with SexyBootsU2 on that, this kind of ruins the DVD for me. I like Elevation from Boston and now I'm probably going to think of this stupid protest everytime I watch it.:angry:

Then you probably don't want to be reminded of the rather negative circumstances behind the Popmart and ZooTV home video shows.

T.B.

:uhoh:

I actually am kind of curious - I'm not sure I ever heard about any controversy behind them, other than the champagne girl being underaged at the ZooTV one.

And Jerry Mele being pistol-whipped or whatever at the Mexico show ... or was that not the one that was filmed?

In any case, I'll assume whatever the stories are, it'll just make me run screaming in the other direction if I ever find out that a show I'm attending is being filmed. :wink:

:uhoh:

I actually am kind of curious - I'm not sure I ever heard about any controversy behind them, other than the champagne girl being underaged at the ZooTV one.

And Jerry Mele being pistol-whipped or whatever at the Mexico show ... or was that not the one that was filmed?

In any case, I'll assume whatever the stories are, it'll just make me run screaming in the other direction if I ever find out that a show I'm attending is being filmed. :wink:

That's the only Mexico City incident I've heard of, and for Sydney, I assume he's talking about the Adam thing?

Yeah, you have approx. a 50% chance that something will go askew if you attend a filming. Not great odds. :lol:

Adam was my first thought, too, but since he only missed the rehearsal show the day before and not the actual show, that's not really much of a controversy.

Adam was my first thought, too, but since he only missed the rehearsal show the day before and not the actual show, that's not really much of a controversy.

Yeah, it was a case of all's well that ends well. But while "OMG, rock star gets drunk and misses important show!!!11!!!!" might not be that big of a deal for many bands, it was out of the ordinary for U2.

Or maybe he had something else in mind?

I'm not sure I want to know, but I can never resist the tease of information. :shifty:

I'm sure he's not going to come back with some Gimme Shelter-type story, so at least we've got that to hold on to!

I DON'T WANNA KNOOOOOOW!!!! OMG DON'T TELL ME!

I really want to know, please tell me

LA LA LAAA, CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!

Sigh :tsk: the drama.

Regarding the whole protest thing, I understand the feeling of being cheated somehow, but they also have to understand that they are in effect "hogging" the front row from others who may have only 1 chance to go to a show. To even be there is an honor, regardless of where you are standing/sitting whatever.
And to think that a handful of obsessed fans could have such power
as to ruin a show is just ridiculous. It's like a 2 year not getting his way and throwing a temper tantrum because his mother tells him, "junior, you have had enough time with that toy, now share with your sister" and then he goes in the to ugly cry and pouts in the corner WITH company over at the house. ( filming for national tv) It's just so immature and petty.

Remember, it's not the offense that's important, it's all about how you react and handle it. It's your choice, always.

It could have been handled better, I'm sure. I wonder if they'd come right out and told the fans the truth, if they feared they'd have fan mutiny on their hands or something, though.

I don't know what they should have done.

It could have been handled better, I'm sure. I wonder if they'd come right out and told the fans the truth, if they feared they'd have fan mutiny on their hands or something, though.

I don't know what they should have done.

That's a good point. Maybe? I don't know. I'm not sure that those 20 people vs U2 and venue security would have resulted in a mutiny, or if it did, it would have been awfully one-sided. I'm sure there would have been some pissed-off people at the very least, though. But I have to wonder if U2's org being straight with them the night before would have lessened the sting.

No, not at all. I agree that was wrong...IF it did in fact go down that way.
I would love to hear the other side of the story.
there's alway 3 versions you know.
Your side, my side, and the truth.:D

I've read many versions of this story, and I've heard parts of it from people, too, and all the basic facts are essentially the same.

On the other hand I think that when dealing with crowd control, they probably consulted with some anal by the book security crowd control person that said if they told them the truth, a riot could break out and result with people getting hurt.
That's the last thing they wanted. You can get sued for being hurt right, but hurt feelings not so much. So maybe the lesser of 2 necessary evils was the choice?
Don't you think?

Well, yeah, mutiny and riot are a little extreme, that was the wrong word to choose.

Maybe they were avoiding people being really pissed off, and just underestimated how pissed off they'd be once they'd gotten inside and realized they'd been lied to.

On the other hand I think that when dealing with crowd control, they probably consulted with some anal by the book security crowd control person that said if they told them the truth, a riot could break out and result with people getting hurt.
That's the last thing they wanted. You can get sued for being hurt right, but hurt feelings not so much. So maybe the lesser of 2 necessary evils was the choice?
Don't you think?

That's a good point, also. I still wonder though if they'd talked quietly to the first 20 or 30 fans in line the night before, before they'd invested all that time into lining up, if things would have been different. As I said, I'm sure they wouldn't have been happy about it, but I don't think there would have been the sense of betrayal that resulted in the protest. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and no one can know for sure.

That's a good point, also. I still wonder though if they'd talked quietly to the first 20 or 30 fans in line the night before, before they'd invested all that time into lining up, if things would have been different. As I said, I'm sure they wouldn't have been happy about it, but I don't think there would have been the sense of betrayal that resulted in the protest. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and no one can know for sure.
Ya. That' true, I understand.

But then my mind jumps to the question, if these people were committed to being in line for 20 hrs at a time every single night in order to be one of the first people let in the arena, then they have already reconciled in their mind and body that a long wait is required for this kind of devotion, to be in the heart.
They knew the sacrifice, but they also worked the system every time to get up front. The average fan goes in knowing that it's a free-for-all. You get in line, wait and then run for it. You still have no guarantee where you will be exactly. Hell, I'd be happy like others just to be in the inner circle, but to work it so you and your group can be in the front every time is not fair to the average first time concert GA goer either. IMO
So... there's a selfish quotient there is all I'm saying and that kinda makes this an even steven kind of argument.

These people lost their minds. The management could have handled it better but four rows back requires protests and weeping? The post said that some of these people had been to the last 20 shows. If this was the first show for these people I could understand but how can you have sympathy for people seeing the band for the 20th straight time? If they really cared about the band they would have: a) talked to management about a refund or compensation or b) enjoyed the show from inside the heart. What they did was selfish and affected the show for the other fans. Let's talk about those other fans for a second. How many of those people had ever been inside the heart or in the first five rows at a U2 show? The earlier post from one of those people even used the dreaded "real fans." When you affect the performance of the band and the enjoyment of the audience you become a hypocritic in using that expression. Three rows back and they were protesting when others would dream of those spots. Again, these people lost their minds. :down:

"Working the system" sort of implies that they were doing something shifty to get up front. All the were doing was lining up early. Anyone could have done the same thing, if they'd wanted to devote the time to it.

No, there's no guarantee that you're going to get a front spot no matter where you are in line. But logically, all else being equal, person #4 had a heck of a lot better chance at it than person #150.

I don't know what else to say. U2's organization changed the well-established rules after the fact, after those fans had already put in the time. They not only changed the rules, but they lied about it up till the last minute. While you might feel that their reaction was unjustified or overblown, I can't understand how anyone cannot see the inherent unfairness in that, and why those fans felt betrayed. I guess this is one of those ymmv situations.

You have to remember, the DVD was filmed over 2 nights, so the Elevation where Bono is on the catwalk wasn't used, the performance from the first night must of been used instead.

I think it was mostly the 2nd night used, with the 1st night used as a camera crew dress rehearsal. I think some 1st night stuff like Edge impersonating Pete Townshend at the end of Gone.

I remember the Bonocam Elevation being from the 3rd or 4th night. That camera makes for bulkier sunglasses that would show up on film and is evident in some fan photos from the 3rd/4th show.

"Working the system" sort of implies that they were doing something shifty to get up front. All the were doing was lining up early. Anyone could have done the same thing, if they'd wanted to devote the time to it.

There are ways to "work the system" in 2001/2005/2009.

Usually involving bracelet swapping(without getting into specifics). I was digusted at fans in 2005 buying multiple GA tickets to improve scanning chances.

I saw the stampede for Rose Bowl GA at the gates trying to get. I felt really bad for those caught at the front.

There are ways to "work the system" in 2001/2005/2009.

Usually involving bracelet swapping(without getting into specifics). I was digusted at fans in 2005 buying multiple GA tickets to improve scanning chances.

I saw the stampede for Rose Bowl GA at the gates trying to get. I felt really bad for those caught at the front.

Yeah, I've heard of that, but thought it was far more prevalent in '05 than in '01. Regardless, the first 20 people in line, the ones we're talking about, obviously wouldn't have needed to "swap bracelets," so they weren't working the system in that way.

To be honest, i wish i never read into this story. Every-time ill watch the Boston DVD now, this will be in the back of my head. In a way its spoilt for me a great DVD, due to knowing the band all night were being distracted by them protesters.

Eh, I wouldn't read that much into it. I'm sure if we knew about a lot of the stuff going on when the other DVDs were being filmed, it wouldn't be that attractive to us either! Even if it's not fans protesting and what not, I'm sure other issues like Adam missing the show before the ZooTV filming might've affected the band one way or another.

Also, the Boston DVD was the first DVD I ever got actually. My mother got it for me for Christmas nine years ago, and I remember watching that thing a lot on my PC at the time. Too many fond memories of it to ruin it for me anyway!

Don't you think?

I tend to agree with you. I can only imagine what would have broken out if they were told when they were lined up outside still. Even if only the first 20 or so people were told, I'm sure word would have spread quick, and it might not have been a fun time after that (one way or another).

I'm sure they didn't like the fans sitting down during the show either. But I suppose that was the fans' decision in the end, and at least it beat anyone punching someone or throwing a chair outside or something.

Yeah, I've heard of that, but thought it was far more prevalent in '05 than in '01. Regardless, the first 20 people in line, the ones we're talking about, obviously wouldn't have needed to "swap bracelets," so they weren't working the system in that way.

For those already inside the heart/ellipse they just elbow/connive their way to the front rail.

On a slightly related topic, at the Vancouver 360 show I was standing next to someone who waited 8 hours longer than I did for pit placement.

"Working the system" sort of implies that they were doing something shifty to get up front. All the were doing was lining up early. Anyone could have done the same thing, if they'd wanted to devote the time to it. .

My gut tells me they were doing something "shifty" and maybe I am wrong...but my gut is usually right.
Also, when people are so rabid about following the band, my guess is that they also wanted to guarantee that the time invested would "INSURE" them a spot in the front row inner circle. Like they have a sense of entitlement and owership and that they were the only worthy ones to be up front. That just rubs me the wrong way.

"
I don't know what else to say. U2's organization changed the well-established rules after the fact, after those fans had already put in the time. They not only changed the rules, but they lied about it up till the last minute. While you might feel that their reaction was unjustified or overblown, I can't understand how anyone cannot see the inherent unfairness in that, and why those fans felt betrayed. I guess this is one of those ymmv situations.

I see the unfairness in it. My point is that I think they could have been more understanding since they had seen them so many times before from the front. Yes, it was handle poorly perhaps but if they were over-reacting because Mr.Mean Security Guard or whoever lied to them, I get it. But to cry and be so juevinile towards THE BAND during the show is just immature. The band didn't know what happened and they took it out on them.

Back
Top Bottom