Is this tour frustrating you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, "Van Diemen's Land" or RTSS are slowers too and they were played lots of times, specially RTSS. You said that WAS doesn't have a proper chorus. Well, neither RTSS has a "proper" chorus.

Was this added in an edit? I missed it.

Running To Stand Still doesn't have a proper chorus?? Um, flat out wrong there man.

WAS does indeed also have a chorus. But it can't hold a candle to RTSS, sorry.

That's why I'll never be moderator. These bitch-fests wouldn't even make it past my pre-programmed filters. :wink:

O, its not your constant arguing and personal attacks that would make you unfit for that job? Or your insistence here that only thoughts you agree with would make it past the filter?

Seriously, we all love this band, its a forum for discussion of differing opinions on U2 and their work/shows. You and others don't have to come into every single thread and act like you are the defenders of U2 against people who hate them. No one would take up time that could be devoted to other things in life to discuss U2 if they did not greatly enjoy U2 and their work. What you need to see is that 99.9% of the people who are discussing some things they disagree with are by no means saying U2 is not worth shit anymore or that the shows are bad. I always present my criticisms of this tour as "Its good, its great, its awesome, but here is what is missing, here is what could make it epic, like U2 should be, etc."

How many times and by how many people do you need to be told to drop it! Very few people here disagree with all your points, for example, I like Walk On alot and think it and BD are the only 2 ATYCLB songs they should be playing on 360. I also happen to think that songs like COL, WAS and Fez could easily be arranged to be played in a live setting, as U2 has played plenty of songs live that people never thought they could. (A few short months ago, it was no way MOS or UC could ever be played from some people).

They are in no danger of causing massive trips to the bathroom anymore than would be caused by WOWY in its current form, or Elevation well past its time as a staple. Actually, WOWY is causing trips to the exit, but I digress! If people like it, even if they don't know it, they will respond. My cousin had no idea what UF or UV were, probably or maybe heard a little bit of NLOTH with her Dad, but thought it was one of the best shows she ever saw! Me, myself, on Vertigo, at my first show, I had no clue what the Ocean or Electric co was and I loved both. I did not know what Miss Sarajevo was, I thought it was incredible, I had never heard the First Time, it was the emotional highlight of the show for me. You get the idea.

The bathroom breaks/constant pre occupation with texting or twittering or e mailing your friends is more a function of a society that can not sit still for more than 2 minutes than they are a statement on U2's song selections.

No one is out here to bash U2 and tell them to hang it up, at least that I have seen. I see mostly constructive criticism.

The answer to this thread is "Sorry, don't mean to frustrate ya"... as in, "Is this Tour frustrating you?", "Sorry, don't mean to frustrate ya". It's a reference to something Bono said somewhere along the way... probably from Rattle and Hum.

The answer to this thread is "Sorry, don't mean to frustrate ya"... as in, "Is this Tour frustrating you?", "Sorry, don't mean to frustrate ya".

:lol:

You are on a roll lately.

There've been some interesting things in this thread. Too bad it turned into the usual bickering and bullshit.

O, its not your constant arguing and personal attacks that would make you unfit for that job? Or your insistence here that only thoughts you agree with would make it past the filter?

(etc etc)

How many times and by how many people do you need to be told to drop it!

Are you for real? I was clearly being sarcastic. I don't want to be a moderator, period, ever. So all the rest of the stuff you wrote is pretty silly, and you sticking your nose into an argument that is a. over and b. none of your concern pretty much invalidates the other possibly good points you've edited to add, frankly.

Since my academic/professional area are the cultural studies and the artistic studies, I'm pretty confident on my opinion that good artists's first will is definitely not what the audience wants. It is the exact opposite, good artists want to replicate emotions by offering to the audience something they're not expecting.

So, forgive me the arrogance but, given this, I'm pretty sure that my opinion is more valid than yours.

Have you met Screwtape?

To be perfectly honest, I think your analogies fall flat, in fact, they serve to further support the belief that the songs that are being left out should be left out.

Velvet Dress is a sultry sexy tune, it's supposed to be slow groove song. These sorts of things typically work wonders on female audience members.

Lemon has a chorus, a complete song structure and Bono doing some of his best falsetto. Also, it's catchy, was generally known (I mean, it's found at Karaoke bars, for chrissakes), generally infectious, and worked well live.

Numb features Edge doing lead vocals, and a rap - and - wait for it - a CHORUS!! Unique, awesome, and about a million times better than Fez. It translated very well live, also.

Also, just to get you thinking on something...when U2 writes, enters the studio and records, they are artists. When they conceptualize the tour, the stage, the lighting, the graphics, etc, they are artists, first and foremost.

When they hit the stage tonight, there is a distinction. They are performers, first and foremost. They are performing for an audience that has paid to see them. There is indeed a necessary catering to the audience that goes on, and it in no way diminishes their artistry or otherwise invalidates them as artists.

If they are playing acoustic stuck, they can stick COL in there!

If they played October, from their obscure, not even considered finished 2nd album many times, they can play WAS.

If they played Lemon and Zooropa, they can play Fez.

Unless you are going to tell us how these songs have something radically different in them that they can not be played, then our opinions are as valid as yours.

Of course, U2 are artists as well as performers, no one said different.

Where you veer off the track is in assuming what the crowd wants when there is no way of measuring that with respect to songs that have never been played.

Plenty of people at 360 have never heard Ultraviolet, many of these people I talked to thought it was the highlight of the night. So these people were not pining for Desire or AOH or New Year's Day to open the encore.

I'm pretty sure that unless your academic/professional area is Reading U2's Minds, then no one here has an opinion more valid than anyone else's.

Are you for real?

I think thats the question everyone is asking you in this thread, pal.

I was clearly being sarcastic.

Hard to tell by looking at your posts just in this thread!

I don't want to be a moderator, period, ever. So all the rest of the stuff you wrote is pretty silly, and you sticking your nose into an argument that is a. over and b. none of your concern pretty much invalidates the other possibly good points you've edited to add, frankly.

None of my concern? This is what the thread is about, I was bringing up the past posts in the thread and addressing them. I thought you didn't want to be a moderator, so don't act like one :) With respect to the "over" part, I was not trying to bring up you and niceman specifically, I was telling you how my opinion differed from what you have been CONSISTENTLY expressing in this thread. I just used fez vs walk on as an example of where both sides have valid points.

You are not being honest with yourself, and everyone can see it. Nothing I said invalidates the points I went on to make.

Just tell me where you think they are invalid on the substance, engage in a fair discussion instead of trying to tell another member they have no place in it.

Again, I THINK - also known as in my opinion - your analogies fall flat.

If they are playing acoustic stuck, they can stick COL in there!

Stuck was not played acoustic when it was introduced. By the time it began to be played acoustically, it had charted, achieved success...and for god's sake, the two songs are in no way similar. Not even comparable.

If they played October, from their obscure, not even considered finished 2nd album many times, they can play WAS.

U2 considers October an unfinished album? Quote please. Again, how the heck is October anything like WAS? Also, October was a key 'introductory' segue song into one of their hugest hit, NYD, and appeared on what is widely regarded as one of the best live raw concert videos of any band, ever. There is no comparison, period - which do you think would go over better on the 360 tour, October, or WAS?? I think we both know the answer there. Having said that, I actually like WAS, to me it's entirely a better song than COL, FBB, for that matter SUC. I just don't think it would work in a stadium. Maybe in an arena.

If they played Lemon and Zooropa, they can play Fez.

Again. Fez is no Lemon, period. And Zooropa? Played twice. Twice. So, um, yeah. Even at that, it would be infinitely more interesting to hear live, even if it wouldn't work great. I wouldn't suggest they do it, though.

Unless you are going to tell us how these songs have something radically different in them that they can not be played, then our opinions are as valid as yours.

Again, I'm confident I've demonstrated that your examples are not analogous. :shrug:

Are you for real?

I think thats the question everyone is asking you in this thread, pal.

I was clearly being sarcastic.

Hard to tell by looking at your posts just in this thread!

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

The argument is none of your concern and it's over. Butt out. I'm not going to engage in that debate with you, you're rehashing old crap and you're not worth my time... edit: on that topic. As you see I've addressed your other post.

Stuck was not played acoustic when it was introduced. By the time it began to be played acoustically, it had charted, achieved success...and for god's sake, the two songs are in no way similar. Not even comparable.

I was not talking about when it was introduced, I was talking about how they are playing it on 360, that was a hell of a lot clearer than your sarcasm. I did not argue that Cedars was a hit, or that the songs are similar, at least not beyond the fact that it would be a stripped down acoustic arrangement. We were talking about whether this would be a mood killer for a stadium, not whether the songs are similar in any significant way. I fail to see how Stuck would be crowd pleasing, while COL would kill the mood. Bono talks his way through WOWY 70% of the time now.

U2 considers October an unfinished album? Quote please. Again, how the heck is October anything like WAS? Also, October was a key 'introductory' segue song into one of their hugest hit, NYD, and appeared on what is widely regarded as one of the best live raw concert videos of any band, ever. There is no comparison, period.

Maybe because Bono had half the lyrics stolen from him and it was rushed out to keep momentum after Boy? The band has said alot about this, how October could have been worked on more. And how can we compare if WAS has never been tried live? I am saying it should be then we can compare. I am well aware of October-New Year's Day and its segue, etc. That's why the band was rumored to be working on a WAS-October-NYD trio in rehearsals, so there you have it from U2 themselves. They think about WAS and October together.

Again. Fez is no Lemon, period. And Zooropa? Played twice. Twice. So, um, yeah. Even at that, it would be infinitely more interesting to hear live, even if it wouldn't work great. I wouldn't suggest they do it, though.

Never said Fez was Lemon, just used it as an example of a song that people never thought had a shot at being played live. Same with Zooropa. Infinitely more interesting--- that is your opinion, of course. Many or most disagree with you on whether Fez would be interesting live, and the factual track record of U2 premiering songs that are not Pride or Vertigo live has been overwhelmingly positive.

I am not here to tell you x and y songs are alike. Never said they were alike in any way other than they are not instantly catchy, hook filled made for live songs.You are missing the point again. I am saying that U2 can and do play songs live that no one expects they will, and these have worked well and not killed the mood of the crowd.

Again, I'm confident I've demonstrated that your examples are not analogous.

I and others are confident that you have not.

finally someone else thinks that Fez would work as the opener! then go into God part II ....last thought Boots is to early in the show, it needs to rock during the last 1/3 of the show....this thread is interesting....I've seen them since 1983 and just saw them in Chicago where they kicked ass....much prefer them inside but why play 5 shows when you can play 1

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

The argument is none of your concern and it's over. Butt out. I'm not going to engage in that debate with you, you're rehashing old crap and you're not worth my time... edit: on that topic. As you see I've addressed your other post.

Did you read what I said?? I was not jumping into your personal argument with anyone, just addressing what I thought were a bunch of posts in this thread attacking people with their own ideas to offer. What I am doing is not none of my concern, I am posting in this thread like everyone else.

Don't tell me to butt out, you are not a moderator, and you have already been told to but out by the moderators. The irony. You don't decide anything here, so don't tell me where to go on this forum, got that much?

I am not rehashing old crap, I am making an argument that U2 has tried alot of non catchy, non linear, never expected to get out of the studio songs before, so why not now? Alot of people have asked the same question.

You have addressed my other post, I addressed that.

"Ultraviolet" is good, but the first versions of "Electrical Storm" were atrocious for me - and I'll never forget that Edge's guitar was out of key (and didn't match the studio version) in some occasions.
"Your Blue Room" is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles away from the deep and complex texture that the studio version has got. Some songs don't work when played live - U2 has already experienced that.
"The Unforgettable Fire"... not bad, it was missing, but this is faraway from the best renditions ever played.

Done this, I prefer to listen to some songs I haven't heard live yet than average or poor and uninspired and sloppy (WOWY, ISHFWILF, MY) versions of the same old songs I can listen to on the radio everyday.

I know this may seem out of place...but Aygo...WTF?!

k, obviously they can't match live the texture of studio version YBR...it's difficult to ever really match the texture of the studio version in a live setting.

ISHFWILF is not "average or poor and uninspired and sloppy" ...not even CLOSE....and just because they don't play WOWY the same way they played it in 1987 doesn't make it shit....it's just a different style....

ES wasn't good at first but the later performances of it were pretty great...

And TUF..."not bad" ?! Fucking ridiculous! I personally think that TUF has never sounded better.

And UV isn't just good, it's absolutely incredible....it sounds like you just can't admit the greatness of this tour...whatever.

exactly. i think after unknown caller (rip :sad:) stand up comedy is such a surprising song to not be playing. you're right too, there's no point really getting upset about it. it may really annoy me that they keep playing elevation and stuck in a moment, but i can't do anything about it.

i was thinking the same thing the other day re. Stand Up Comedy - i'm surprised it hasn't been played yet... i would've thought it would be a song that could fill a stadium nicely...

oh my god is everyone bickering again?

i only read page 1 so far, which was nice and civilised, but judging by this last page things are looking messy! :drool:

They played Your Blue Room so I forgive them for everything they've ever done to frustrate me.

And add Electrical Storm onto that.... Ah yes.

i only read page 1 so far, which was nice and civilised, but judging by this last page things are looking messy! :drool:

everything I create in life
is being destroyed
by the unwilling minds
of this uncivilized world

:sad:

just because they don't play WOWY the same way they played it in 1987 doesn't make it shit....it's just a different style....

Really?? :|

By the way: I loved one guys explanation about the steering wheel. That Bono is hanging on for his life and love that he has lost and is swinging to find direction and everything.

And THAT in a stadium where 95% has no clue what Your blue room is. God I love this band and their fans :lol:

Ain't it great? I adore messy threads. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom