Is this Bono? I don't think so ... at all.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, as if the Real Bono (TM) would appear at some of these things his impersonators have been seen at. Some people want to believe what they want to believe.

AtomicLemon said:

240te.jpg

[

if Bono was Latin, he would look just like that :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

dazzledbylight said:
A :hug: for you friend, AL....

Bono's upper lip is thinner.

I guess if it were me and I wasn't sure or if I hadn't heard that Bono was in town, I'd start looking around for John Sampson... (did I spell that right? He's too nice to misspell his name!)

U2Scott said:

Like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Grand Canyon, Pavel is a highly-photographed national landmark. It’s a novelty to have your picture taken with someone who so very closely resembles Bono.

That would be, IF he very closely resembled Bono... but face it, he doesn't....
any real fan can pick him out as a fake, but 'regular' people often barely know what Bono looks like and they only care about the big name....

why the hell is he a national landmark? I had never even heard of the dude before this thread!

Sorry to hear your friend felt misled. Did she send pics of his autograph? Bono signs his name with the date (year) next to or under it. I'd be curious to find out how impersonators sign "Bono" legally..

ps..Bono has FRECKLES ;)

Last edited:
teenie said:
Sorry to hear your friend felt misled. Did she send pics of his autograph? Bono signs his name with the date (year) next to or under it. I'd be curious to find out how impersonators sign "Bono" legally..

ps..Bono has FRECKLES ;)

well, I think he (the real Bono, that is!) usually does include the year w/his autographs, but not always. I have his autograph, with no date. And yes, it really was him. :wink:

Galeongirl said:

That would be, IF he very closely resembled Bono... but face it, he doesn't....
any real fan can pick him out as a fake, but 'regular' people often barely know what Bono looks like and they only care about the big name....

why the hell is he a national landmark? I had never even heard of the dude before this thread!

:yes:

Pavel needs to be taken out in the back alley and beat to a pulp by Larry as I am sure the real Bono was a few times.

:wink:

love2bmama said:
:up: freckle power!! I, too, have black hair and a zillion freckles. I hated them when I was little, but now they are ok by me. Bono's, on the other hand, are totally :drool:
\

Cool! :cool: ya, me too. The older I have gotten the more "charming" they are to me :)
( My hair is actually super dark brown "espresso" color and redish highlights in the sun.)

And yes about Bono's freckles...
:drool: :drool: :drool:

U2Scott said:
Pavel Sfera has taken an undeserved beating throughout this discussion thread. He was a guest of me and my wife at the Anaheim NAMM Convention in 2006. At the time, I was the bass player in his now-disbanded U2 tribute band. We have since parted ways as bandmates and I wish him the very best. But so much of what has been said about him and last year’s NAMM incident is ridiculous and plain wrong. Just thought I’d share the facts of that day to those who believe his appearance or behavior there was dishonorable.

My wife and I were attending the show for business purposes to negotiate a price for a pair of custom ordered Ashdown Bass Cabinets that were being displayed. We also wanted to speak with Dan Lakin about Lakland basses, currently favored by Adam Clayton. We had a third NAMM pass and invited Pavel to join us for a day of gear-browsing. He needed a wireless microphone, in-ear monitors and came to get more information about the new technology. The NAMM convention is a gigantic candy store for musicians. We were also interested in playing or buying a Gretsch Irish Falcon guitar that was on display in the Fender Booth. Pavel played “One” as he test-drove the guitar. A few people snapped photographs and wanted to speak with him. He was courteous and empathetic to everyone. People might have assumed he was Bono, but to my knowledge, not one person asked him if he truly was. Throughout the day, he never said he was Bono...at least not in my presence.

Most of our time at NAMM was quiet. Late in the afternoon though, George Clinton, Dick Dale and Dave Mason all asked Pavel to join them in brief soundbite conversations and/or photographs. Those were fun, spontaneous moments for everyone. Realizing a frenzy was about to ensue, we started to leave the Hall/Auditorium but were detained by a continuous stream of convention attenders who wanted an autograph or their photographs taken with Pavel. It only took one person requesting a photo before setting off an avalanche of others crowding in. My wife and I stood at the edge of the mob of people and could hear folks speculating aloud as to whether he was the real “Bono” or not. Most concluded he wasn’t because of the tan, scuffed shoes, etc. Uncomfortable with the increasing attention, my wife even told many people he definitely wasn’t.really Bono. But like some members of this discussion thread have demonstrated, it’s fun and interesting to try to solve a mystery. People want to decide for themselves if the person who just walked past was Bono. In this case, it wasn’t. It was Pavel Sfera from Serbia/Yugoslavia with a terrific Irish accent.

Like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Grand Canyon, Pavel is a highly-photographed national landmark. It’s a novelty to have your picture taken with someone who so very closely resembles Bono. Pavel graciously allows that photograph or memory to happen wherever he is or goes. Even in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, he’s stopped at a CVS pharmacy or a swap meet buying socks. And unless I’m mistaken, when asked for an autograph, Pavel usually writes “Jesus loves you – P”, or something to that effect. Pavel is a big-hearted, kind and funny guy. He shares his life, time and talents with us and really asks nothing of the people who still insist he’s a member of U2. Granted, he’s sometimes complisent (sp?) in the situation. I’ve often heard him specifically tell people he’s NOT Bono and “fans” refuse to believe him. When tribute bands perform music, they always ask you to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the moment. Meeting Pavel Sfera on or off stage is a worthwile experience.

Whatever. You are certainly entitled to defend your friend/former bandmate Scott.

But I am also entitled to give my opinion and if you think anyone is going to believe that Pavel walks around dressed as Bono, putting on an Irish accent, taking pictures and signing autographs, but doesn't *really* want fool people into believing he's Bono, well...that's just sad. He takes advantage of people who want to believe, and that's not cool.

And you know what? I HAVE met Pavel off-stage and the only thing it made me want to do was wash my hands afterward. You may call it a worthwile experience, but the only words that come to mind for me would be smarmy, egotistical and fake. And unfortunately, nothing I've seen in the 3 years since that meeting have done anything to change that opinion.

JCOSTER said:
definately not, theres a thread on here somewhere about Bono look alikes and that guy is in there (I think):huh:

That's right.......but i can't find the thread to link it!........I have this photo though i'm sure it's this weirdo! *look nothin' like Bono....he has some issues*

bonolookalike.jpg

That poor girl, she must have been so excited thinking it was Bono!

AtomicLemon said:
Well, she just wrote me back. Now I am REALLY pissed at this faker especially reading what she said to him when she met him.

Anyway - Poor thing, This is what her email said:

That sucks, he had me so fooled. I told him how their album "All that you leave behind" saved me when my son was a runaway. I'm really upset because he saw how thankful I was of him and his work with charities - I was in tears the whole time. He signed autographs and everything. He went into the Fender booth, pulled down an acoustic and sang "One" for everyone. I'm so disappointed. :(

---

DAMN! How could no one at freaking NAMM (of all places) not kick this a-hole out? She was in tears and he totally played her. I'm hoing to see if I can get a scan of the autographs.

I'd wring his neck if I could - WHO IS HE? Pavel from San Diego ? JCoster or the guy from Toronto? Several names were mentioned.

What a complete bastard!

fly so high! said:

That's right.......but i can't find the thread to link it!........I have this photo though i'm sure it's this weirdo! *look nothin' like Bono....he has some issues*

bonolookalike.jpg

:yikes:

blueeyedgirl said:
Where was this? Anaheim? Why would anyone believe the real Bono would be in Anaheim? :huh:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of gullible (and I mean that in the best possible way! :uhoh: ) people in the world, that's how con-men like this bloke are able to make a living! :tsk:

fly so high! said:

bonolookalike.jpg

:scream:

>

" Pavel Sfera as "Bono"

I'm Pavel, a Bono impersonator and frontman to Vertigo, a national and international musical and spiritual tribute to U2 based out of Chicago. As a U2 fan and a fan of Bono's views on humanity, it's been an honor and an absolute pleasure to share not only the physical likeness of an incredibly talented musician, a poet, a father, a husband, a humanitarian and person who is more than just a symbolic world leader, but also to feel the impact he has on normal everyday unsung heroes of day to day living. Because of the striking resemblance, I'm stopped daily for autographs and photographs. Of course, I don't autograph Mr. Hewson's name nor do I tell people that I'm Bono. The feelings many people have for him are powerful. Usually, people will approach me and say "Thank You", "I love you", and "I love your music".

As a musician myself, I do play several instruments, with my voice being the foremost instrument, I can truly attest to the power of song that moves people in such a deeper level, brings out the better in them--often a indelible memory recalled. Naturally, in moments of impersonation, I do a fantastic Irish accent to add to the flavor of the moment. Many of my Irish friends find it amusing in taking me to local Irish Pubs for a pint or so of Guinness, just to see the reactions of the patrons.

On a political level, I do share Bono's feelings of the profound need for peace and the calls to duty. To actually be involved, to encourage, to act upon and to make earnest efforts in fostering that sense of peace and civility betweens peoples---I know it well. I was born in the former Yugoslavia to Romanian parents. We left the country because of the tumultuous political landscape that troubled its inhabitants. My father, and absolute gentleman, humble and a man of genuinely profound faith in Jesus, spent 10 years in prison in the former Yugoslavia for his faith--in a typical bible like story of our modern times. My father was beaten and tortured on a regular basis to have him change his convictions in Jesus. He didn't. After serving his first sentence of 5 years on Goli Otok, my father, married with two children at the time, went right back into this prison knowing full well that he may not ever come out alive. This is the type story shared, where the sources of inspiration, of poetry, song, and the desperate need to have devotion to all things good, righteous, just and Godly.

No doubt, U2 fans and yet uncoverted fans will sense my love for U2's music as I personify Bono on stage to be a part of the spritual experience.

-Pavel-

Pavel has made guest appearances as Bono on many television shows and films. He has been a guest on the "Carson Daly Show", "Chelsea Handler Show", VH1 and several reality shows with E! Entertainment including a pilot where Pavel was the lead character. He has become a household name at Pierce Brosnan's home as he has played there with his Southern California U2 tribute act, Desire. Atop of his "psuedo celebrity" status, Pavel is also a humanitarian. He has volunteered with the handicapped orphans in Romania, has rebuilt homes in Missouri for many of the flood victims, has been extensively involved in the Best Buddy program that is modeled after the Big Brother Program involving handicapped children. Pavel is also a composer of classical piano compositions. He is a poet and has a collection of poetical works in the process of publication.

sorry for intruding on the battle of bono impersonators :ohmy: but I didnt feel like making my own thread

edge63927623-.jpg

hey I found this on some u2 website but it was in spanish:eyebrow: I was hopeing it was the real edge b/c its kinda sexy... but :| it just doesnt look like his face.. thats not him right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom