Is it possible for any human being to stay celibate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are we defining asexuality as a sexual orientation in this thread??

That's just ridiculous if we are, and that's the impression I get from reading these posts.

DaveC said:

That's just ridiculous if we are, and that's the impression I get from reading these posts.

I guess you could consider it an orientation in NEITHER direction. Why? What's so rediculous about that?

Windmilllane said:
We all need sex and to have orgasms.

This is too funny.
Need sex. You'll find out once you daily source of orgasms goes away. (or as you get older:wink:)
and without getting too graphic - there are other ways to have orgasms.(which you may also have to investigate, when.. you know, your source goes away.)
:wink:

DaveC said:
It shouldn't be possible, according to Evolution.
:slant:

Why do we see homsexual animal behaviour? that is essentially useless from an evolutionary perspective, masturbation too is a waste of resources ~ but it probably ensures that everythings in working order. And you have plenty of asexual organisms in the world.

There is a great deal of variety in the natural world, a great deal of variation within species. I think that biologically there are people who have no will for sex. I also think that with sheer strength of will a human being can overcome the physical urges for sex and just abstain.

Last edited:
Windmilllane said:
But if you are asexual, isn't there some kind of surgery to correct that. We all need sex and to have orgasms.

Hehe...this cracks me up.

No, "asexuality" is a genuine sexual orientation, and true asexuals genuinely are disinterested in all sexual contact.

Melon

sue4u2 said:

This is too funny.
Need sex. You'll find out once you daily source of orgasms goes away. (or as you get older:wink:)
and without getting too graphic - there are other ways to have orgasms.(which you may also have to investigate, when.. you know, your source goes away.)
:wink:

You mean when his hands fall off? :ohmy:

(and before anyone jumps on me for being mean, take a look at his profile. :) )

DaveC said:

You don't need to define it in this thread.

It's defined here:

http://www.asexuality.org/

An asexual is someone who does not experience sexual attraction. Unlike celibacy, which people choose, asexuality is an intrinsic part of who we are. Asexuality does not make our lives any worse or any better, we just face a different set of challenges than most sexual people. There is considerable diversity among the asexual community, each asexual person experiences things like relationships, attraction, and arousal somewhat differently.

Relationships
Asexual people have the same emotional needs as anyone else, and like in the sexual community we vary widely in how we fulfill those needs. Some asexual people are happier on their own, others are happiest with a group of close friends. Other asexual people have a desire to form more intimate romantic relationships, and will date and seek long-term partnerships. Asexual people are just as likely to date sexual people as we are to date each other.

Sexual or nonsexual, all relationships are made up of the same basic stuff. Communication, closeness, fun, humor, excitement and trust all happen just as much in sexual relationships as in nonsexual ones. Unlike sexual people, asexual people are given few expectations about the way that our intimate relationships will work. Figuring out how to flirt, to be intimate, or to be monogamous in a nonsexual relationships can be challenging, but free of sexual expectations we can form relationships in ways that are grounded in our individual needs and desires.

Attraction
Many asexual people experience attraction, but we feel no need to act out that attraction sexually. Instead we feel a desire to get to know someone, to get close to them in whatever way works best for us. Asexual people who experience attraction will often be attracted to a particular gender, and will identify as gay, bi, or straight.

Arousal
For some sexual arousal is a fairly regular occurrence, though it is not associated with a desire to find a sexual partner or partners. Some will occasionally masturbate, but feel no desire for partnered sexuality. Other asexual people experience little or no arousal. Because we don’t care about sex, asexual people generally do not see a lack of sexual arousal as a problem to be corrected, and focus their energy on enjoying other types of arousal and pleasure.

Note: People do not need sexual arousal to be healthy, but in a minority of cases a lack of arousal can be the symptom of a more serious medical condition. If you do not experience sexual arousal or if you suddenly lose interest in sex you should probably check with a doctor just to be safe.

Identity
Most people on AVEN have been asexual for our entire lives. Just as people will rarely and unexpectedly go from being straight to gay, asexual people will rarely and unexpectedly become sexual or vice versa. Another small minority will think of themselves as asexual for a brief period of time while exploring and questioning their own sexuality.

There is no litmus test to determine if someone is asexual. Asexuality is like any other identity- at its core, it’s just a word that people use to help figure themselves out. If at any point someone finds the word asexual useful to describe themselves, we encourage them to use it for as long as it makes sense to do so.

Melon

U2democrat said:
i've been celibate for the past over 18 years...and i don't plan on having sex anytime soon.

I have been celibate for 18 minutes....but that will change soon...:dance:

The VERTIGO special is alive and well!!!!

Windmilllane said:

But the urges have to be intense. Human beings are made to have sex. It's our nature. I can't stay celibate for one day. It's not possible. I have tried. But I just can't stay celibate for one day.

It's funny to me that you think celibacy is abnormal, but I think that if you can't go one day without sex, you're the abnormal one.

I haven't had sex since 1990, and no sexual contact at all since 1997.

I don't know if I've become asexual or what, but I don't even desire to have sex. It never was a big desire in my life.

I stayed a virgin until I was 16, and I cant even recall why I had sex to begin with other than I was curious. I had already experimented with drugs so I was bored with that.
I didnt really have a strong urge to have sex, but I had it anyway. And I stayed with the same person for over 2 years just kind of doing it, not enjoying it.
It all changed when I met my husband. Now Im a little vixen :evil: But before i just didnt have much of an urge :shrug:
It seemed like a waste of energy :lol:
And i dont see whats so ridiculous about the whole asexual thing. Yes, its an orientation. Its not like the person was born without an identity
I think it would be really hard for most of the population to remain celebate, but some do it either because they are waiting for their spouse, they dont enjoy sex, they were abused, nobody will sleep with them...

while i think the saying, "use it or lose it" is absolutely true -- when i'm dating someone, there's a near constant urge to have sex; when i'm not, it's easy to go days without needing any, uh, release -- i suppose i think that being in a happy, intimate sexual relationship is a good thing for mental health. again, i understand if someone is actively choosing celibacy, that there's value in that struggle if it is rightly chosen and understood; however, the absinence-only ethos being taught in schools, while probably a good thing when you're 15, probably isn't such a good thing if you are an adult and desire a sexual relationship but are taking cold showers and pouring icy water down your pants for the simple reason that someone told you that the rules say you must abstain.

why do you think marred people are happier?

(assuiming, of course, that married people actuall have sex ... by some accounts, getting married is the best way to kill your sex life ;)

u2bonogirl said:

Oh it doesnt always kill it :sexywink:
:drool:

It doesn't kill it but it certainly fluctuates depending on what stage in life you are in.

honeymoon phase = wild weasle time :sexywink:

Add work, school, bills and possibly kids to the mix and its not always possible to do it as much as you did when you were newly married. But its not quantity that counts anyway, its quality :up:

Irvine511 said:

(assuiming, of course, that married people actuall have sex ... by some accounts, getting married is the best way to kill your sex life ;)

Hmm. Could be true with some married folks, I guess. I've been married for 10 and a half years.

In my opinion (and my husband's, teehee ;) ) at least for us the sex does better and better. Sex has... well, since the very very beginning, been a very large and important part of our relationship. Over time we have become so familiar with each other, so in tune with what makes each other tick and so familiar with our needs and desires, that the level of understanding we achieve through unspoken words in the sexual realm have transgressed out of the bedroom. To me sex is more than the act of screwing, it's an ultimate expression of communication and love.

This doesn't go without saying that there are lulls of sexual activity in marriage. Like everything else, it comes and goes in waves. Sometimes you go for a while without sex, and you get through it. During those times, I think (maybe even subconsciously) we've used the understanding and communication we've learned with each other in the most intimate of situations to carry us through those dry spells. And eventually things come around full circle. :)

just ended my non-voluntary period of celibacy this afternoon ... :sexywink:

and i'm living out the point i made earlier. it had been a bit, and i was fine; now that it's over, i wonder why i went so long since it's all i can think about right now.

someone needs a steady boyfriend, and quick ...

I just looked up Celebate, and it says-

Celibate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celibate state; celibacy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One who is unmarried, esp. a bachelor, or one bound by vows not to marry.

Unmarried; single; as, a celibate state

So is celibate is not getting married, or is it not having sex?

If someone wants to wait until they're married to have sex, that's totally up to them, I don't care, but to make it seem like someone who doesn't is "immoral"...sorry, I'd have to disagree with that one. That's just as much their choice to make as it is for those who wait, neither person's choice is right or wrong.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
If someone wants to wait until they're married to have sex, that's totally up to them, I don't care, but to make it seem like someone who doesn't is "immoral"...sorry, I'd have to disagree with that one. That's just as much their choice to make as it is for those who wait, neither person's choice is right or wrong.

Angela

Geez, people, I was not attacking those that have sex before marriage, sorry if you took offense so easily. I would like to clarify that according to the bible that waiting until marriage to have sex is a good moral. If you dont believe the bible disregard this post.

bammo2 said:
lol u2bonogirl you've only been married a few weeks.

A month today actually. And what a wonderful month it has been :combust:
We celebrated this morning...ahem, yes well, anyway :shifty:
I realize that pressures of life can strain a sex life because of energy levels and time constraints and everything, but I think that even the fact that you want another is a good indicator that you have a healthy sex life.
If you can only fit it in once a week well hell, you better make it a good one :laugh:

Hmm, anything is possible. so to quote Foray the question is flawed. Of course it's possible, anything is possible.

It's up the the individual. I hope.

Does it count if you masturbate? Cause unless you truly have no desires, it's either that or insanity. Yeah, nevermind.

To be blunt, you can have an orgasm from an inanimate object- you can't get real, true love from one of those. For some people real, true love is necessary before they are comfortable having sex with someone. Maybe their desire for that love is stronger for them than the desire for a temporary good feeling. I think humans are also "hardwired" to want real, true love.

It's a personal decision for each person how they choose to deal w/ sex and their sexual desires.

Back
Top Bottom