is it just me or did bono seem pissed off at Mary J. during "One"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
Well I think Bono was worse than he's ever been on One, and it's really amusing to see how everyone butchers Mary, when, in fact, Bono had killed his own song before she even set in!

Bono sounded like he was about to fall asleep at the beginning. "Is it getting beeeedtime?". Can you blame him?

on mary j. blige's cd, that's how he sings the song. so he was singing it like he did on her CD. i thought it was a very good performance although it did seem as though bono was a bit aggitated at times. and what happened off camera after they won "album of the year?" i know larry was about to talk, but then that bald guy came on. and while he was talking, you could here the crowd cheer. doe anyone know what happened there?

you people really read too much into things.

it was a performance. Maybe you should just listen to the music, rather than analyze every little facial expression.

I swear any time U2 show up anywhere someone has to complain about something.

I like coming here to get my up to the minute news, but it's almost not worth it because of the negative crap.

:mad:

I'm going to go with Bono being tipsy or perhaps hungover during the song, speech, whatever...he'd been partying the past few nights (according to ET)...so of course he's going to seem off... but he still did an outstanding job :up:

i just watched it for the first time and thought it was great!
sure there might have been a hiccup iwith the "harmonizing" at the end but i though Mary was great and i thought bono was great
i dunno what you're all going on about :shrug:

I don't think he was pisse off at all. In fact I got the feeling that he loved Mary's performance. Bono was just doing his "I'm a very serious man and this is a very serious song" kind of thing. I think he had a smile on his face when he went back a little and let Mary sing more. Maybe they were all just a bit rusty after staying over a month without performing in front of an audience (plus it was the Grammies audience). Also it seemed to me that Bono was a bit nervous every time he was on stage.

I detected a few Bono nerves too, along with a good bit of emotion. It's possible that he just was not feeling 100%. He still did a very good job though!!

Catman said:

on mary j. blige's cd, that's how he sings the song.

I've actually defended this version of the song in here before. The version on the CD sounds great but this performance just didn't live up to it, if you ask me.

....and, honestly, it's the choice of songs that annoys me the most. Imagine what we could have had:

1. OOTS with full string orchestra (or just a tiny one) :drool:

2. City Of Blinding Lights.

Now THAT would have kicked :censored:. Playing One and Vertigo at this moment in time is embarrassing :down:

MsGiggles said:
I'm going to go with Bono being tipsy or perhaps hungover during the song, speech, whatever...he'd been partying the past few nights (according to ET)...so of course he's going to seem off... but he still did an outstanding job :up:

Rather than tipsy, I would say "completely shit-faced," from the look and sound of things. I didn't think he was pissed in an angry sense--he was pissed in that he'd clearly had too much to drink.

My opinion:

He wasn't angry.

He did suck.

She turned the mother way the fuck out and almost saved a sinking ship.

But that's just me. Hopefully they never play the song again and that'll be that and we won't need to waste time being all obsessed and shit. It'll be a welcome respite for us all...! :wink:

Bono looked solemn because One is a a very serious song. If Mary J. took over the song, it was totally with his permission. I noticed he stepped back at one point and let her have the spotlight.

It's also obvious that a lot of you don't get R&B music at all.

(Edited to add if U2 was so pissed at MJB "taking over" the song, why did they agree to perform it with her for a second time on national TV?)

If you shout... said:

Rather than tipsy, I would say "completely shit-faced," from the look and sound of things. I didn't think he was pissed in an angry sense--he was pissed in that he'd clearly had too much to drink.

To all the "he was drunk" people, how is it that he sobered up so fast by the next few acceptences?

doubleU said:

What does moment in time have to do with it?

I mean, Vertigo was up for awards last year, right? Why not play something else from the new album for once?

And One has been played 1E20 times since its release. We do not need to hear this song each time U2 appears at some event. It's getting absurd and I'm not even joking.

U2Man said:

I mean, Vertigo was up for awards last year, right? Why not play something else from the new album for once?

And One has been played 1E20 times since its release. We do not need to hear this song each time U2 appears at some event. It's getting absurd and I'm not even joking.

Well they didn't play it last year, they played Sometimes.

Vertigo was the only song they could shorten in order to do the double song, and One was done to help out their friend Mary.

I think if they hadn't wanted to, or asked to do the duet, they would have done Original or LAPOE.

Was it absurd that Paul did one crap song and Helter Skelter? Or that Bruce did a song that was released last year?

Whatever reason they had to play One, it is insanely lame that they play this one ALL the time at any event. They have so much to choose from and yet they insist on playing One until even the animals living deep down in the oceans of the world are tired of listening to it.

Regarding the other artists you mentioned....hmm....I haven't followed them as closely as U2, so I don't really know how often they've played these tunes. "Helter Skelter" hasn't really been played at many awards/charity shows although it was played at Live8, as far as I remember.

Fine Line isn't a crap song, btw.

- and don't forget he did Yesterday, too.

But regardless of what other people do, U2's choice of songs was poor.

U2Man said:

We do not need to hear this song each time U2 appears at some event. It's getting absurd and I'm not even joking.

:up:

Listen to the cute dog, people.

U2Man who said it was U2 who insisted on playing one? who says it wasnt mary j? after all the song is on her new album right?

plus U2 got flammed last year for playing sometimes, people said it was too slow bla bla bla, what you think the reaction would have been to a song many in the crowd may never have heard?

as said, many other artists performed big hits aka PM, simply because it wasnt his own show

Paul McCartney was given permission to play three songs and to my knowledge he didn't even receive an award that evening. U2 took home all they were nominated in. The night belonged to them, right? If U2 wanted to, they could have been given permission to play three songs like Macca ( I would guess). But oh well, I guess Bono was too drunk to remember anything but the lyrics to a song that he must be able to quote in his sleep and the silly lyrics of Vertigo. Even if they only played two songs and One had to be one of them, why the heck Vertigo?!?!

MJB could have been asked by U2 to play another song from her new album, if they were truly tired of playing One themselves and wanted to do OOTS instead :drool:

- and oh, I wouldn't really call Helter Skelter and 'Fine Line' big hits!

Last edited:
but it wasnt a U2 show, so there going to play songs people know, and why would they perform a different song from mary j new album when she's sings it with U2, even on her album, as i said, she might of decided to play it, and the band are hardly going to be snobby about it and say no

As I said previously, I don't know what their reason is for picking One every single time they have to pick songs, but what I do know is that they somehow end up choosing it each and every time.

- They have other songs that people know.

- People in general would response positively to a song like OOTS, too, I believe.

"Fine Line" made it to #20 on the UK singles chart, which isn't bad for someone that far into his career. Doubt it did as well in the States, but fuck the States.

What's with people always saying, "No, U2 can't play that song, no one knows it!", though? Didn't Bomb sell ninety hojillion copies? Do you think maybe some of those people actually listened to the damn thing? If they played "Original of the Species" or something, I'm sure it would've gone over alright. The only reason U2 seems boxed in with their song choice is because they box themselves in.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
"Fine Line" made it to #20 on the UK singles chart, which isn't bad for someone that far into his career. Doubt it did as well in the States, but fuck the States.

I know. When I said that Fine Line wasn't a big hit I was just referring to the statement about other people only playing big hits that night. If McCartney wanted to play big hits only, he could have chosen around 100 other songs that were massive hits compared to Fine Line - which he played because it's new, of course.

typhoon said:

What's with people always saying, "No, U2 can't play that song, no one knows it!", though? Didn't Bomb sell ninety hojillion copies? Do you think maybe some of those people actually listened to the damn thing? If they played "Original of the Species" or something, I'm sure it would've gone over alright. The only reason U2 seems boxed in with their song choice is because they box themselves in.

:up:

Since i haven't had the opportunity to watch the Grammy's yet, will be seen in Australia at 8:30pm friday 10th Feb, i shall watch and observe, then i can make my comment. I did see a 10 second clip of it and i thought, "mmmmm, i hope this song doesn't get ruined."

I agree-I think Bono had had a few too many.

I also think One was awesome. That song is so powerful and MJB sang it from her soul. I think that song deserves to have it sung with major amounts of emotion. It is a spiritual song and she sang it to the last row of that arena.

I also think U2 plays one alot in public b/c of what it stands for. It is wodely known that One is one of the most respected and envied songs of the music world. Axl Rose has even said that song changed his life for him. (obviously it didn't change it enough) Could you think of a more appropriate song to have been played at the Hurricane Relief fund?

I am not so sure why so many people on this thread are criticisizing the band. The played the Grammys!! And won 5!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom