Is Bush the worst president we?ve ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox, your criticism of Vidal is welcomed. I just didn't want anyone to attack his character in lieu of ignorance on the issue. You've done your research and stated a educated perspective on what he said. More power to you!! (Of course, if I took the time to research it further I'd undoubtedly prove you wrong :) )

As for Diamond, you did exactly what I purported you'd do by drawing some asinine connection between Gore Vidal and Timothy McVeigh. That's deceptive, and now...if I may...I'm going to kick your ass! Woooo-hooo-haaaaaaa! Bend over, cause my foot itchin' for target.

;)

roy_sun_7.jpg
:wink:

Danospano said:

As for Diamond, you did exactly what I purported you'd do by drawing some asinine connection between Gore Vidal and Timothy McVeigh.

exactly. you can also draw a connection between the man who killed actress Rebecca Schaeffer and U2 (he said he was inspired by Exit), but that doesn't mean that U2 has anything in common with him.

diamond said:
Tim McViegh loved Gore Vidal:up:
Go figure.
DB9
and manson hung out with the beach boys. what is your point?

and yes dano, one could argue that coolidge brought us into the depression. i say could argue because i won't say whether he did or didn't. his term ended in 1929. in the 1930 elections it was pretty much a given that whoever ran against him would win. :)

i won't say "dubya" is the worst ever, but i will say he's the worst in this generation or two. imo, andrew jackson was a pretty corrupt president, and if memory serves me correct taft was worthless too.

Gore Vidal wrote quite a bit about Tim McVeigh.......

That was Mr. Diamond's point....and to his credit he did not make it an issue in this thread. Since those who are REPUBLICAN were so respectfully invited to not express their views on Mr. Vidal.

I find it interesting that so many are SOOOO very quick to jump on Mr. Diamond who did absolutley nothing wrong.

Mr. Vidal is/was sympathetic of Mr. McVeigh.

In my opinion, he walks right up to the line of feeling sympathetic and empathetic for Mr. McVeigh, in my readings to present my case for this article. To be honest, I find it pretty disturbing but Mr. McVeigh felt so comfortable with what Mr. Vidal was writing about him that he wanted him present at his execution. That was indeed the point....

But since Mr. Vidal's character is I guess not allowed to be questioned, and only what he wrote, Diamond, and I made veiled references to the McVeigh situation.

To be fair however, Danospano may be tired of people posting attacks on the character of the author of information that is posted in here, I on the other hand have the opposite problem. There is too much information that is posted in FYM that is not filtered and Mr. Vidal, while a brialliant author whom I can respect as such, should be fair game for his past writings and borderline sympathetic writings for a BABY KILLER like McVeigh.

I mentioned McVeigh too! How come no one got on me?

A serious case could be made that Mr. Gore believes that people like McVeigh are modern day patriots, decendants of our founding fathers, and that the governement is the enemy. But that would be a flame on his character right?

If this is harsh my apologies...I violated my rules....and posted when I should not be posting .....Matt

Last edited:
It seems we have gotten off the topic and instead starting debating the merits of the Vidal interview/article. When it comes to awful presidencies, I think Bush is a long ways from being the worst. Ideology too often blinds us. As a Republican, I was not a fan of Clinton, but I do not think he was one of the most dangerous, worst presidents ever. He had his positives and negatives just like all others. Warren G. Harding who was elected in 1920 is generally accepted as the worst president evr running neck and neck with U.S. Grant. Coolidge, who followed Harding after Harding's death in 1923 really did not do too much either. Hoover sometimes gets castigated for "sitting on his hands" when the Depression hit in 1929, but further study shows a man who was willing to use government to combat the Depression. In a lot of ways, Roosevelt and Hoover were alike in economic postitions. The Depression was not caused by Hoover in any way, but of course as it happened on his watch, he took the brunt of the blame. Back to awful Presidents. Carter is also reckoned to be up there. A really really great guy, just someone who was not cut out for politics. So there's my views on this thread.

one can never tell the legacy of a president, or any politician for that matter, until years after he has left office. in the era of 24/7 news channels discussing everything from war to the first lady's hair, we all want our answers immediately. history will tell exactly what kind of president bush really is... not mr. vidal.

I agree headache. Time is the least subjective of judges. I don't give a damn what all of those talking heads on TV and elsewhere say, no matter where they're coming from. I don't watch them because quite frankly I think they're hype. All style, all image and no substance.

Interesting........looks like they are not fond of late nineteenth century Presidents. I am admittedly pretty weak on the Presidents as I've always preferred medieval history to U.S. political and military history until recently when I started looking into the background of the Middle East crisis.

One reason verte is because it was not until the 20th century that the office of the Presidency evolved into one of real power. That is not to say that previous Presidents had no power, but that their view of the office was more restrained. STill, men who had personal strength were able to wield power effectively as shown by men like Polk, Lincoln, and Jackson.

The Presidents Ranked according to Historians.

Abraham Lincoln
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Woodrow Wilson
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Lyndon Baines Johnson
Ronald Reagan
James K. Polk
Andrew Jackson
James Monroe
William McKinley
John Adams
Grover Cleveland
James Madison
John Quincy Adams
George Bush
Bill Clinton
Jimmy Carter
Gerald Ford
William Howard Taft
Richard Nixon
Rutherford B. Hayes
Calvin Coolidge
Zachary Taylor
James Garfield
Martin Van Buren
Benjamin Harrison
Chester Arthur
Ulysses S. Grant
Herbert Hoover
Millard Fillmore
John Tyler
William Henry Harrison
Warren G. Harding
Franklin Pierce
Andrew Johnson
James Buchanan

Last edited:
That list doesn't include Dubya! I'd love to see where he ranks amongst historians; although I'm sure he'd make the Upper-half solely because 9/11 occured during his tenure. That makes me sick that educated men would dare call Bush Jr. a great president because of sympathy for the real victims of that day. Anyway, I digress...

Other things I wanted to say:

1) I'm still looking for Diamond. My foot's about to go to sleep.

2) I wouldn't say Clinton was the best president of the 20th century, but to put him behind Bush Sr. and slightly above the notoriously forgettable Carter Adminstration is odd to say the least.

3) Nixon deserved to be ranked higher than 25th. Perhaps these historians are basing their pedantic opinions on the gossip newspapers instead of their accomplishments. Nixon, aside from the Watergate scandal, had an enormously successful ride in the office.

Nixon did indeed have quite a bit of success in office but I think they hold it against him that he was forced to resign. He *used* to be ranked as a failure--I recall looking at rankings from earlier on and his ranking and reputation has actually improved quite a bit as people realized his breakthrough in China and some other policies were quite remarkable. For awhile there I think he was regarded strictly as "The Watergate President". Yet another example of time being the least subjective of judges, and people being the most subjective.

Last edited:
Deleted...for....lack of intelligent posting.

Sorry

Last edited:
I miss Clinton. His administration I could've done without, but I think he had it right. He did what he could to satisfy people of all partisanships. W isn't hearing the people. In that respect, I think he's failing.

Horribly.

And it'll show next year when he gets voted out of office.

Keocmb said:
I miss Clinton. His administration I could've done without, but I think he had it right. He did what he could to satisfy people of all partisanships. W isn't hearing the people. In that respect, I think he's failing.

Horribly.

And it'll show next year when he gets voted out of office.

*Agrees wholeheartedly with this post*

Angela

I hate to break this to the liberals here, but most Americans approve the job that W is doing based on opinion polls over the past 3 years.

Danospano,

There are millions of educated people who think that Bush Jr. has done a great job and they will be voting for him next November.

I'd probably rank Clinton a little lower than he was. He did not have to deal with the difficulties and complexities of the Cold War like Bush Sr. and Carter did. When Clinton came into office in January 1993, the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact had disappeared and the economy was growing.

Danospano said:
That list doesn't include Dubya!
That makes me sick:angry:

Other things I wanted to say:

1) I'm still looking for Diamond. My foot's about to go to sleep. :)

..had an enormously successful ride:up: :ohmy:.
roy_sun_7.jpg
:wink:
roy_sun_7.jpg

Last edited:
The White House Plays Dirty With the Environment

Rollbacks of air, water and land pollution rules are taking heavy tolls

By Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

November 24, 2003

It's beyond serious dispute that the Bush White House is dismantling 30 years of bipartisan environmental progress, in defiance of law, scientific understanding, popular sentiment and common sense.

The Bush administration's horrific environmental reputation isn't just a bad rap. The environmental gains that Americans have enjoyed for years prove that vigorous protection of our natural resources is both effective and consistent with economic prosperity. The administration's destructive rollbacks threaten decades of progress, and they have already begun to take their toll.

After three years of President Bush's policies, American waterways are getting dirtier, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, for the first time since passage of the Clean Water Act.

Administration policies have driven automobile fuel efficiencies to their lowest levels in decades.

Superfund cleanups for millions of Americans in tainted communities have been halted because the White House is allowing polluters to escape replenishing the bankrupt fund.

Any prospect of dealing seriously with global warming evaporated when the administration abandoned the Kyoto treaty, suppressed more than a dozen major scientific reports, including the global warming chapter in an EPA environment report, and punished and blackballed scientists who reported their findings honestly, among them Robert Watson, head of a United Nations scientific panel on global warming.

The Bush administration is trying to eliminate Clean Water Act protection for more than 60% of the nation's stream miles and most of the nation's wetlands.

If successful, this would let factory farms escape responsibility for catastrophic water and air pollution caused by millions of tons of untreated animal waste and allow industrial polluters to foul our aquifers and drinking water.

Recently, EPA lawyers announced that they would drop prosecution and criminal investigations directed against 50 power plants whose illegal emissions were major causes of mercury pollution that made fish unsafe to eat in 28 states, of asthma attacks that disabled one in every four inner-city black children, of acid rain that sterilized Adirondacks lakes and destroyed Eastern forests and of air pollution that killed 30,000 Americans each year ? conclusions of the National Academy of Science.

Those utilities donated millions to Bush, who repaid the investment by gutting the Clean Air Act, discarding the provision that required the oldest and dirtiest power plants and refineries in the United States to install state-of-the-art pollution controls when they expanded or modernized.

The administration also rewarded oil and gas companies by opening the nation's pristine areas ? including Wyoming's Jack Morrow Hills, Utah's Red Rock Country, Colorado's Vermillion Basin and Montana's Rocky Mountain Front ? to road building, pipeline construction and a host of other industrial activities associated with development.

Other proposals eliminate the fundamental requirement that forest management protect wildlife, reduce public involvement in forest planning and scale back long-standing requirements for environmental reviews and public participation in highway construction and offshore oil development.

Bush's Department of Interior is the first not to voluntarily list a single species as endangered. Worse, the Interior Department has used fraudulent science in attempting to de-list protected animals like the grizzly bear, trumpeter swan, Florida panther and desert fisher.

Unfortunately, there are literally hundreds of other examples touching nearly every corner of environmental law and involving actions by every major federal agency responsible for environment programs. That includes the Department of Defense, which has just obtained from Congress sweeping exemptions to the Endangered Species and Marine Mammal Protection Acts. These exemptions could damage whole populations of threatened species.

Meanwhile, fines collected for violating environmental laws have dropped by more than half since the Bush administration took power, and last year, EPA's two most senior enforcement officials resigned, citing the administration's refusal to enforce environmental protections as their reason.

All this while, in the Senate, legislators have been debating perhaps the most venal Bush initiative to date, the $145-billion energy bill boondoggle ? labeled "No Lobbyist Left Behind" legislation by Sen. John McCain ? that would have a widespread, devastating effect on the environment.

At a time when our government should be addressing critical problems such as global warming, sprawl and the loss of wildlife and open spaces, the Bush administration has put polluters first by raising the standard of living for a few privileged Americans while lowering the quality of life for the rest of us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is a senior attorney at the Natural Resources Defense Council.

STING2 said:
I hate to break this to the liberals here, but most Americans approve the job that W is doing based on opinion polls over the past 3 years.

You must hate breaking that tid-bit, because it's a fallacy. Let's do some rudimentary math: Most Americans would presumably constitute 51% of the adult population, and since half the adult population didn't vote at all in the 2000 election, and since Al Gore received at least 50% of the vote in that election, and since pollsters only survey potential voters, I'd say that George W. Bush has been receiving roughly a 25-30% approval rating through-out his tenure in office. That is irrefutably a minority of Americans; not a majority (most).

Now, if we presume that a majority of those giving Bush a complimentary approval rating have friends/family/loved ones fighting in Afganistan/Iraq they would be callous, pessimistic, bastards if they disapproved of their friends/family/loved ones leader. After all, how often do we hear people harangue the person who controls our destinies? Therefore, I'd say that if we never INVADED Iraq, or Afganistan, Bush's true approval rating would lose even more weight and fall to the low-20% range.

---He better raise a lot of money, because his propaganda is becoming a tad bit mundane.

---Can he buy the 2004 election? Tune in next year...same lame time, same lame country.

The article is on the Time web site

TIME's cover art portrays a photo illustration of U.S. President George W. Bush with a lipstick-kiss on his left cheek, and a bruised right-eye for its December 1, 2003 edition released on November 23, 2003. A new TIME/CNN Poll shows that Americans are almost equally divided; 47% are likely to vote for Bush and 48% are not. His job approval rating of 52% is down from its peak of 89% in October, 2001, and his disapproval has reached a new high of 43%

r1946111732.jpg

Back
Top Bottom