Interference Random Music Talk Pt XVII-Lance's Mom Ed.-Jizz the Bang and the Splatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I should have asked for clarification: Madonna as in "Holy Mary Mother of Bono Little Lord Jesus" or Madonna as in "Awesome Bitch On Wheels With Scary Veiny Arms"?

I was just going to say small.

:wave:

:hug:

nsw-2.jpg

I finally heard her new single. I don't want to say I'm disappointed, but I was let down that it sounded like it could easily have been on Fearless. I was hoping for a change of pace.

"Mine" is a stealthily brilliant lead single, for a number of reasons. And I meant to ask you about it. It doesn't just feature the Swift brand standard glossy production and soaring pop-song craftsmanship. It also does the job of recalling the past while simultaneously pointing to the future. It references both of her previous lead singles: the opening five note vocal melody is a clear call back to the guitar line in "Tim McGraw." And it updates "Love Story." The character in "Mine" is the same character as the one reading The Scarlet Letter and dreaming about Romeo in "Love Story," yet she's finally grown up. This love is difficult, but it's real, says the narrator in "Love Story." The same girl is there in "Mine" except this time she believes it and doesn't fall back into the trap of imagining an over-romanticized fairytale ending. This time she finds a real man and the plot is grounded in true to life issues, as she realizes how "difficult" it truly is.

The happy ending is there in both songs: the big life-affirming climax chorus featuring a switch of the narrator from girl from boy. In "Love Story" it was out of a storybook, a running into each other's arms embrace across a fictional garden. Here in "Mine" the embrace happens in the real world, after a fight, after tears, after the breaking point is reached, after everything has started to crumble.. And the man and woman decide to make it work. You saw me start to believe for the first time.

Also, remember that this is just the lead single. Fearless sold milllllions and won countless awards, and she doesn't want to scare people away. It's still so early in her career. She gives them something that tastes at least a bit familiar, and then saves the artistically/thematically/musically divergent stuff for the other 13 tracks on the album.

"Mine" is a stealthily brilliant lead single, for a number of reasons. And I meant to ask you about it. It doesn't just feature the Swift brand standard glossy production and soaring pop-song craftsmanship. It also does the job of recalling the past while simultaneously pointing to the future. It references both of her previous lead singles: the opening five note vocal melody is a clear call back to the guitar line in "Tim McGraw." And it updates "Love Story." The character in "Mine" is the same character as the one reading The Scarlet Letter and dreaming about Romeo in "Love Story," yet she's finally grown up. This love is difficult, but it's real, says the narrator in "Love Story." The same girl is there in "Mine" except this time she believes it and doesn't fall back into the trap of imagining an over-romanticized fairytale ending. This time she finds a real man and the plot is grounded in true to life issues, as she realizes how "difficult" it truly is.

The happy ending is there in both songs: the big life-affirming climax chorus featuring a switch of the narrator from girl from boy. In "Love Story" it was out of a storybook, a running into each other's arms embrace across a fictional garden. Here in "Mine" the embrace happens in the real world, after a fight, after tears, after the breaking point is reached, after everything has started to crumble.. And the man and woman decide to make it work. You saw me start to believe for the first time.

Also, remember that this is just the lead single. Fearless sold milllllions and won countless awards, and she doesn't want to scare people away. It's still so early in her career. She gives them something that tastes at least a bit familiar, and then saves the artistically/thematically/musically divergent stuff for the other 13 tracks on the album.

I was also going to comment on how it was a little too close to being a mixture of "Tim McGraw" and "Love Story" and now I'm seeing that apparently that was on purpose :lol:.

I've only heard it once, and it's not like I didn't like it, so I'm sure it'll be a fun single while it's around, but I do anticipate changes on the album, and for it to be a fun listen all the same.

Is this a serious post or another extended inside joke?

Watch yo' back, LM!!

Mini Edge doesn't give me much to worry about.

I expect Bieber to sound like this guy in a few years, a year or two after we all forget he exists. Decent song though, and the guitar tone proves he was always awful with delay; he's much better without it.

-Faceless Big Machine executive

Seriously, I believe promoter would be a damn good profession for GAF. He convinced me long ago that Taylor was a viable album artist, and this was a fine effort as well. Plus, what better incentive do you need to indulge a drinking habit than a profession involving one to see the good in everything? He could even market GAF Goggles.

Leftover material from Boner interview in Rolling Stone:

What is your feeling now, a year later, about "No Net on the Horizon"? Are you disappointed that your fans have not taken to it the way they did "Achtung Birdie" or "The Joshua Cock"?

Having listened to it the other day, I can understand that. It's not very accessible, lyrically or musically. Its big song, which may be our biggest, "Moment of Serive" – I remember that happening to us. It happened in there [points to the living room next door]. It was amazing. I don't know why we needed a record that intense. I like music to be joyous. But you're only in charge of a certain amount of what you're doing.

So we put out a really difficult record. I would have to admit that. If I was a teenager, it would be like a European movie – it's art-house.

A European art-house film that has fifteen-minutes of Adam Sandler movie scenes in the middle of it, actually.

Wow. Thanks for that, laz. Interesting and...stupefying, I guess? At least for me. Good or bad or in between, that is anything but a "really difficult record." Wow. Hoping this is a joke.

But consider the source, you know? What has Bono had to say about anything musical in the last few years that strikes you as insightful or accurate? Much as I love the band, Bono really has no credibility with me, not for some time now, as it pertains to his views on music or his predictions for album releases or even his descriptions of his own music. I nod my head at all this crap then pretend I never heard it, and wait for the next album/tour with no clear cut timeline in my head until some sort of official announcement is made. The only thing difficult about NLOTH was listening to SUC and not punching someone in the face.

U2 has never made even a remotely difficult record. And that's not at all a bad thing! It's just true, and there's nothing wrong with making conventional music. I mean, I love most of it. And while they've definitely made records which didn't sound like what people thought U2 should sound like, "slightly unfamiliar at the time" doesn't mean " really difficult." "Adventurous" is a much better word, though I wouldn't even go that far with No Line on the Horizon. Of course, that's just me.

At least devoid of context, I'm saying that that little exchange reveals a surprisingly complete misunderstanding of U2's material by...U2. Or at least Herr Bono. I feel like there must have been better ways of rationalizing the album's very relative lack of success than ostensibly saying that people aren't smart enough to enjoy an MOR pop album.

Back
Top Bottom