Interference Random, Music Talk Part VI: You are tearing me APART, Liam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough to disagree with. But my favorites are "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Dear Prudence," so what do I know?

You know that Prudence should come out of the closet. "Strawberry Fields...," my favorite track, came in second, so that's cool.

I think these Survivor things work when an artist/band has a set of like 5-10 almost indisputable classics under their belt, along with some solid material throughout their career. To me, R.E.M. has a ton of awesome spread throughout their discography, but not a "definitive" list of keeper tracks. Bowie, to some extent, falls into the same trap.

You know that Prudence should come out of the closet.

Won't you come out to play?

Another great thing about LOVE: it's everything that Across the Universe is not, a genuine celebration of the guys and the music which totally encapsulates the spirit of the band.

Numba nine. Numba nine. Numba nine.

Yeah, I'm pumped for those.

Speaking of which, you know who badly needs the remaster treatment? THE STEEN!

I preordered some massive-ass Beatles boxed set a while ago, and more or less forgot about it, until now.

My favorite Beatles song:

Something

Next?

Norwegian Wood

After that?

Here Comes the Sun

Won't you come out to play?

Another great thing about LOVE: it's everything that Across the Universe is not, a genuine celebration of the guys and the music which totally encapsulates the spirit of the band.

Next year I'm heading out to Vegas for a cousin's wedding, so hopefully I can see the show.

I think a Bowie musical along the lines of Across the Universe would actually work. There'd be less fan-pandering and more genuine insanity and muppets.

listening to the new Mute Math right now. i like what i'm hearing.

Where'd you snag it?

And speaking of The Beatles, we're about a month away...

Merry Christmas.

I preordered some massive-ass Beatles boxed set a while ago, and more or less forgot about it, until now.

Something

Next?

Norwegian Wood

After that?

Here Comes the Sun

"Something" and "Here Comes the Sun" crack my top five. On a given day, "Here Comes the Sun" could reach #1. I think I'll try to make a top ten.

Something

Next?

Norwegian Wood

After that?

Here Comes the Sun

A Day In The Life is my all time fav but all three you mention are tops as well, impy makes a good call with Tommorow Never Knows and I'll throw in some You've got to hide your love away and Blackbird love as well...

Here Comes The Sun is probably my number 2 though.

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
2. "Hey Jude"
3. "Here Comes the Sun"
4. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
5. "Tomorrow Never Knows"
6. "Across the Universe"
7. "Get Back"
8. "I Am the Walrus"
9. "I'm Looking Through You"
10. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

Yeah, it's tough. I wound up going with a top-of-my-head 15.

1. "Tomorrow Never Knows"
2. "Dear Prudence"
3. "Here Comes the Sun"
4. "Something"
5. "Across the Universe"
6. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
7. "In My Life"
8. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (although these days, the Love version is tops)
9. "I Am the Walrus"
10. "Eight Days a Week"
11. "I Will"
12. "A Day in the Life"
13. "Day Tripper"
14. "Come Together"
15. "Dig a Pony"

Best song on Love?

Octopus_by_JACKIEthePIRATE.jpg

It's so good on LOVE and in the show. It'd scrape a top 25, if I were to go with that length. Criminally underrated tune.

Huh? I love "Act Naturally." And you know "Good Night" is lovely.

"Good Night" is the greatest song that's never been in a Disney film.

meh, I think it's his voice or something - I think he gets knocked a lot for being the "lesser Beatle” or whatever and that's a fair thing to say - considering how talented the other three were - I don't even see that as an insult really...

His voice never bothered me much, and at least he never sang anything as horrible as "Honey Pie."

As far as the best song on LOVE goes, that's a tough one. "Get Back" is great with the intro (and gives you the biggest fucking chills ever at the outset of the show). The entire "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing" part is fantastic. Obviously the "Mr. Kite" sequence. But I'm going to go with "Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows." Just transcendent shit.

Oh, and after 3 listens of each:

Electr-O-Pura > And Then Nothing.....as it pertains to my tastes/ears.

I WIN.

I think these Survivor things work when an artist/band has a set of like 5-10 almost indisputable classics under their belt, along with some solid material throughout their career. To me, R.E.M. has a ton of awesome spread throughout their discography, but not a "definitive" list of keeper tracks. Bowie, to some extent, falls into the same trap.

Very astute observation.

The only Ringo songs I can tollerate are Yellow Submarine and A Little Help From My Friends - Other than his drumming and mad acting skillz I'm not crazy about the rest of his "contributions"

Huh? I love "Act Naturally." And you know "Good Night" is lovely.

"Good Night" is the greatest song that's never been in a Disney film.

Just to be clear here--Good Night is a John composition that he wanted Ringo to sing and for Martin to give the real "Hollywood treatment". Such a perfect closer to the album.

Impy, out of all the Paul songs, you choose I Will?! Not that I'm advocating putting more of his songs on the list, but still.

My Top 10:

1. Strawberry Fields Forever
2. Revolution (electric)
3. Happiness is a Warm Gun
4. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
I Am The Walrus
Don't Let Me Down
Dig A Pony
Rocky Raccoon
I'm Only Sleeping
Not Guilty

Status