Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if I can get close enough to friend her on facebook (which I'd like to do regardless), I could just snag a better photo from there if you sons-a-bitches really care that much.

It's not a shocking resemblance either, from what I could tell, but her similar mannerisms and voice really embelished her appearence quite a bit.

Well, I don't know if it's actually going to be good, but it sure looks interesting, far from your run of the mill Actor Wants To Direct film.

Maybe Hopkins has taken a page out of Cary Grant's book and been doing some heavy LSD experimentation.

Well, the Woodman will be featured multiple times on my 80's and maybe 70's lists. While I enjoyed much of his 90's work (and the last two in this decade), nothing was quite fantastic enough to make my list. I do feel that his 1996 musical Everyone Says I Love you was one of his best, and had we been listing up to 20 it could have easily made it.

Just because I'm in a list mood, here's my Top 10 Woody (and I've seen ALL of them):

1. Stardust Memories '80
2. Annie Hall '77
3. Crimes and Misdemeanors '89
4. Manhattan '79
5. The Purple Rose of Cairo '85
6. Everyone Says I Love You '96
7. Manhattan Murder Mystery '93
8. Husbands and Wives '92
9. Sleeper '73
10. Hannah and Her Sisters '86

Woody + Diane Keaton = :drool:

Lancemc said:
Also, found out that girl's got a boyfriend.

Shit.

If movies have taught you anything Lance, that shouldn't stop you.

Don't mean a thing if she ain't got that ring.

And sometimes the ring don't matter either.

Tell her to watch Closer with her boyfriend and they'll be splitsville within a week.

lazarus said:
Well, the Woodman will be featured multiple times on my 80's and maybe 70's lists. While I enjoyed much of his 90's work (and the last two in this decade), nothing was quite fantastic enough to make my list. I do feel that his 1996 musical Everyone Says I Love you was one of his best, and had we been listing up to 20 it could have easily made it.

Just because I'm in a list mood, here's my Top 10 Woody (and I've seen ALL of them):

1. Stardust Memories '80
2. Annie Hall '77
3. Crimes and Misdemeanors '89
4. Manhattan '79
5. The Purple Rose of Cairo '85
6. Everyone Says I Love You '96
7. Manhattan Murder Mystery '93
8. Husbands and Wives '92
9. Sleeper '73
10. Hannah and Her Sisters '86

Woody + Diane Keaton = :drool:

I'm from NYC originally, so I have an extra dose of appreciation for some of hils films. Manhattan is my all time favorite, it just blows me away. Annie Hall is my #2.

ETA - and, wow, I really liked Match Point....did not see that coming from him.

Lancemc said:

Yeah well if personal experiencehas taught me anything, it should.

:wink:

zooey032107.jpg
scruffycompava.jpg

Well, me & Z have nothing to worry about then.

Lila64 said:
What about Woody Allen's "Broadway Danny Rose". A-gi-TA!
And yes, I like many of the ones lazarus listed.

That scene in the warehouse where the helium escapes and they all are talking in high voices--genius.

He has so many great movies it's sick. Probably more than any other director I can think of.

Abre los Ojos a.k.a. Open Your Eyes (Alejandro Amenabar, 1997)

Just watched this again after not having seen it in a very long time. For those who aren't familiar with the title, this is the film that Vanilla Sky was a (mostly inferior) remake of.

I was lucky enough to have seen this not too long after it originally came out, even before Cameron Crowe's retelling was even announced. I don't think I've seen it since Vanilla Sky's release, and it was nice to revisit it again. It held up very well. Vanilla Sky was a very faithful adaptation in terms of story, and all Cameron Crowe really did was add a really cool soundtrack, a lot of unnecessary pop culture signifiers, and a denoument that was a bit clunkier than the original's. They also made Tom Cruise's character even more of a prick than he is in Open Your Eyes, which probably wasn't necessary either, considering how many in the audience resent him anyway.

It was nice to see Penelope Cruz here again, and not just because she takes her top off (although I must add that this element couldn't be overpraised), but for how fresh she seemed, before being swallowed up by the Hollywood machine, and eventually Mr. Cruise himself. Of course she has since redeemed herself with a (in my opinion) Oscar-deserving performance in Volver, but this is the first time I ever saw her and I was instantly in love. It's not hard to identify with the main character.

The story is just the type of thing that I love. A hint of science fiction in the service of something much deeper, whether it's contemplating the nature of reality, identity, memory, whatever. I'd put it on a list of films alongside Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, A Scanner Darkly, Blade Runner, eXistenZ, 12 Monkeys, The Science of Sleep, and some others that escape me at the moment. There's a certain level of melancholia that accompanies these films, because often the characters come to the realization that the past is something that always seems to slip through our fingers if we attempt to hold it too tightly. And even if this film doesn't explore relationships in the way that Eternal Sunshine does, there's something that one can identify with that makes the final scene very bittersweet.

Amenabar went on to make a tremendously effective horror/suspense film with the future Mrs. (or future ex-Mrs.) Cruise, The Others, and then most recently The Sea Inside, a powerful film about euthanasia. I look forward to his next work, but I have no idea what he's currently working on, if anything.

I just realized I meant to post this in Review The Movie You Just Watched.

Not that it really matters. Same bunch of jokers reading both threads, right?

Hey, better Hayden than Josh Hartnett or Chris Evans, right?

Plus, Rachel Bilson is teh hot, so you're not going to have to drag me to this one.

They actually got permission to film in the ruins of the Coliseum in Rome, which is pretty damned cool.

Rachel Bilson doesn't get enough credit for her hotness and adequate acting.

Chris Evans is actually pretty good in Sunshine... nothing at all like The Human Torch in the god-awful Fantastic Four movies.

You should reiterate the spoiler warning that's on You Tube, NSW. If you haven't seen Once Upon a Time in the West, you probably don't want to click on that link as it HEAVILY spoils the end of the film.

As it's one of my all-time favorites, I'd hate to see it ruined for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom