Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one of the reasons why Halo will translate well into a film, because it's already like one.

Nothing shitty like Resident Evil, Doom, or the classic Super Mario Bros.

Halo 2 was marginally disappointing though. Lance, how was the gameplay of the Halo 3 Beta?

Last edited:
Let me just say this.

Halo 2 is a shitty unbalanced, wonky mess compared to Halo 3.

Take everything out of Halo 2 that didn't work, or was even mildly subpar, add in two dozen amazing new tweaks and features, and take everything that was great about Halo 2 and makes it twice as good.

Then you might have something close to the awesomeness of Halo 3.

Hehe.

All hyperbolishizznizzism* aside, Halo 3's gameplay really is a step up in practically every way from its predecessors. :up:

*hyperbolishizznizzism: [noun] - The excessive use of hyperbole in describing something that has reached or gone beyond the level of being the Snizz-Nizz.

Last edited:
elevation2u said:
i've never been more lost in a thread before
well this is in the top three of most confusing
conversations in a thread

The scary thing is, this is how most conversations I have turn out. Linking vaguely to others as it rolls into something involving Star Wars.

Good to hear about Halo 3, especially that The Arbiter is a non-playable character. While the Arbiter-playable parts of H2 were interesting and some of the better gameplay bits of the entire game, the story's about The Master Chief.

Maybe we should have a thread just for Star Wars-- general discussions, film reviews (or re-reviews), favorite lines, pictures, etc. This would obviously include any SW game stuff.

And maybe we should have a separate thread for games as well (hint, hint).

So who else is going to see Eastern Promises tomorrow?

And another possible topic starter, is anyone familiar with the horror films of Dario Argento? I found a used copy of Suspiria (his most famous) for $5 and watched it for the first time. Crazy, crazy shit. Can anyone recommend a follow up film?

Hopefully I'll be seeing Eastern Promises this weekend, since I never got to last weekend, and since The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford isn't opening around here this week.

And LMP, The Aribter is playable in Halo 3 by the second player in co-op mode. They're also introducing two new Elite characters that would be played by the third or fourth player in co-op. But you're right. The campaign is all completely playable as the Chief.

Lancemc said:
Hopefully I'll be seeing Eastern Promises this weekend, since I never got to last weekend, and since The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford isn't opening around here this week.

And LMP, The Aribter is playable in Halo 3 by the second player in co-op mode. They're also introducing two new Elite characters that would be played by the third or fourth player in co-op. But you're right. The campaign is all completely playable as the Chief.

Now that's cool for co-op.

I've bumped the Star Wars thread for you guys.

lazarus said:

And another possible topic starter, is anyone familiar with the horror films of Dario Argento? I found a used copy of Suspiria (his most famous) for $5 and watched it for the first time. Crazy, crazy shit. Can anyone recommend a follow up film?

Inferno. Argento viewed it as a second part of a trilogy after Suspiria. So it would only make sense to watch that one next. :)

Oh how I love artistic horror. :combust:

It is a little different than Suspiria and far more intense. It is an erotic thriller wrapped in the classic 'in the house with a killer' formula. The added benefit is that the music is done by Ennio Morricone who scored the Leone films including Once Upon A Time In The West which was co-written by Argento. Bird is great film but perhaps too pyschological a film for someone just getting into Argento.

I will see anything Morricone scored. He's by far my favorite film composer, and Once Upon a Time in the West is prob in my Top 10 favorite films (it often alternates with Once Upon a Time in America).

I've done a little more research and also need to see Deep Red and Tenebre, apparently.

Too bad there's not a boxed set...

Did you guys know Morricone scored Carpenter's The Thing?

That may have been one of the reasons I loved that movie so much.

lazarus said:
and Once Upon a Time in the West is prob in my Top 10 favorite films (it often alternates with Once Upon a Time in America).

Two of the greatest films ever made. :drool:

Lancemc said:

Two of the greatest films ever made. :drool:

Lance have you had a chance to see Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) yet? The DVD was just released for the first time recently. Not quite as great as the other two, but it completes the "trilogy" (original title was "Once Upon a Time...The Revolution) and is a much more overt political statement than the other two.

And LMP, I know Morricone scored The Thing, but what's weird is that it totally sounds like one of Carpenter's scores. What an odd collaboration, but Morricone did some films in the 80's and 90's you wouldn't expect: Wolf, Disclosure, In the Line of Fire, Fat Man & Little Boy, Red Sonja. He certainly has done his share of hack work, but when he's at his best he blows John Williams out of the water.

I have yet to see Duck, You Sucker, unfortunately. Though it's very high on my to-see list.

Speaking of composers, James Horner, Danny Elfman, and of course John Williams own a piece of my soul.

Absolutely love their work.

I'm not the biggest Howard Shore fan, but his score for Eastern Promises was surprisingly good.

EP is 5th at the box office this weekend too. :rockon: And surprisingly, 3:10 To Yuma is still doing pretty well.

monkeyskin said:
Hey Mr LMP, how's the Hitchcockathon going?

It's going pretty well actually. I just saw Psycho, loved it, and now I'm going to watch the '90s remake and go on with other Hitchcock flicks (North by Northwest and The Birds are next)

Have you seen Vertigo yet? You definitely want to watch Marnie as a companion piece to it, as they explore similar themes and are both highly stylized. Very underrated Hitchcock--though you could say that about all of his 60's work save for The Birds and Psycho (which I think is ridiculously overrated and not even in his 10 best). I think Topaz received a bad rap particularly, because of the lack of a movie star/central character, and that it's more of an espionage procedural than a suspense thriller.

Torn Curtain (with Paul Newman!) is a mixed bag overall, but has many great scenes that make it a must see.

Vertigo's somewhere in the queue, same with Dial M for Murder, Notorious, To Catch a Thief, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I'll add those movies you listed, too.

So far I've seen Rear Window, which I thought was a brilliant character movie. The dialogue was still pretty sharp for an older film and I really dug how it was all shot from the perspective of the apartment.

Psycho was pretty good as well, but more of an understated flick than I expected. The narrative shifts from the story of Janet Leigh's embezzlement and lover to Norman Bates and his insanity, which is where the film partly lost me. The Doctor's explanation of Norman's "condition" at the end of the film is the biggest 'Obi-Wan on the Log' scene ever... definitely a studio push there. Maybe if that scene wasn't there the ending would've been a bit better for me, I'm not sure. I didn't quite like the direction it took after the detective's murder.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
The Doctor's explanation of Norman's "condition" at the end of the film is the biggest 'Obi-Wan on the Log' scene ever... definitely a studio push there. Maybe if that scene wasn't there the ending would've been a bit better for me, I'm not sure. I didn't quite like the direction it took after the detective's murder.

FYI, the "Obi-Wan on the log" scene has actually been renamed the "Ben Kinglsey-voiced robot sits on the bed" scene in honor of Spielberg's royal fucking-up of the otherswise brilliant A.I.

Next time I watch A.I., I'll just stop after the first end narration / David trapped underwater with the Blue Fairy scene.

Now that's perfection.

I'm sick of all these people defending A.I.'s epilogue with cries of "it was part of Kubrick's original plan!" First of all, Kubrick is notorious for tampering with his films way down to the wire before they're released. Who knows what the fuck he would have included? Second, if the epilogue doesn't look like Kubrick, sound like Kubrick, or feel like Kubrick, it ain't Kubrick. He never would have handled it that awkwardly even if he had included the material.

And yes, a fade out on that Blue Fairy would have been perfection. But tell me the last time you found perfection at the end of a Spielberg film. Here's a suggestion: Raiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom