Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny thing is that was actually a perfect segue from the last post...

I think Happy Together is my least favorite. Haven't seen As Tears Go By or Ashes of Time yet.

No Dr. Lizardo, not worth it.

brain-port-lizardo.jpg

Lancemc said:
Least favorite, eh... strange.

Well, I just like the other ones a better. The "trilogy" is untouchable, and Chungking/Angels is essentially one film split into two projects anyway. I like the "universe" he created for both of these. Happy Together only suffers because it's the most stand-alone of what I've seen so far.

I would rank them thus:

1. 2046
2. Days of Being Wild
3. Chungking Express
4. In the Mood for Love
5. Fallen Angels
6. Happy Together.

What I also need to watch is WKW's segment of Eros, the Soderbergh/Antonioni/WKW anthology film. Supposedly it's VERY good. I bought it a while back but still haven't checked it out yet.

I understand what you mean regarding the universe he sets up for his films. But maybe for that same reason Happy Together comes out stronger for me, because it's able to stand so strongly on its own terms. It's also fairly unique from the rest of his work in a few ways, and features some of his more inspired filmmaking decisions if I must say.

A lot of his output is impossible to rank, but I'll try now anyway.

1. 2046
2. In The Mood For Love
3. Happy Together
4. Days of Being Wild
5. Fallen Angels
6. Chunking Express
7. As Tears Go By

I'm really interested in the Eros film as well. Wong's contributions is widely heralded as the best, though I've heard really great things regarding Soderbergh's as well.

Lancemc said:

I'm really interested in the Eros film as well. Wong's contributions is widely heralded as the best, though I've heard really great things regarding Soderbergh's as well.

Really? Soderbergh's been taking critical hits for a while now. I don't think he's had an overwhelmingly well-reviewed film since Traffic.

Personally I've liked all of them, and really need to give The Good German another go. I appreciated what he was trying to do there, but the result wasn't as amazing as I was hoping it would be.

Just to keep you updated, cos I know how fascinating this all is to everyone:

Finished A View to a Kill. Wow, worse than I remembered. Walken makes me laugh, though. Tanya Roberts made me laugh, too, but sort of at her. I dig the song, though, I must admit.

The Living Daylights is up next, and, I don't care what people say, I liked this one and I liked Dalton in it.

No mention of Grace Jones?

The best part of View to a Kill is the title song. That's about all I can say.

The Living Daylights is a cool film, Not top tier, but good. I just remember the trailer and Dalton's money line was (when talking about his new gadget-laden car) "I've had a few optional extras installed".

Not exactly a Moore-level witticism.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone here seen a film called Perhaps Love starring Jacky Cheung? My girlfriend saw it on holiday in China and recommends it but it's not available to rent on these shores.

This might be a completely random and worthless question of taste, but I'm curious, specifically from Laz since I know you've seen almost all of the entirely of these two director's catalogues, which talent you prefer/believe to be the greater?

Wong Kar-Wai

or

Terrence Malick

I've been trying to reach a conclusion all night to no avail, though I'm not sure why it even matters. On the surface at first it seemed like a wholly incomparable pairing, but there really seems to be a remarkable similarity between these two filmmakers. What say you?

Well I'm completely left out of that one. Fuck. Well, 1/2 left out...the other 1/2 I know well.

But it'll be rectified within a month.

Up to License to Kill, by the way.

I did like it again.

I just like Timothy Dalton a lot. He can actually act, and it shows. Yes, for sure, it is not nearly as lighthearted as the Moore films, but, there's a certain intensity to it that I liked. You'll never convince me that Brosnan was better, that's for sure....and I like Brosnan in many other films.

Back
Top Bottom