I'm off to see Tim Kaine with Barack Obama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK...I'm leaving for my classes and then I'm off to Richmond for the victory party! I'll take lots of photos and hopefully will report back triumphantly tomorrow.

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was front row center at the victory party!!!!!!!!! I'm in tons of AP photos, so if you see a blonde girl wearing an "I :heart: Tim" shirt that's me.

But OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tim came out on stage, saw me and said "Hey Laura!" and I later got a hug from him :D

At one point Gov. Warner was introducing TIm, and Tim's eyes started filling up with tears, so did mine, but we both fought them.

I took a TON of photos, I'll upload them when I get back to school tomorrow. WOW!!!!!!!! SWEET VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!

Polls had Kilgore tied with Kaine headed into the final day when Bush flew from Panama to Virginia and laid his bets.

Bush put his wispy political prestige on the line in the Virginia governor's race and lost Tuesday when the candidate he embraced in a last-minute campaign stop was soundly defeated. While there are many reasons for Jerry Kilgore's defeat, chief among them his poor campaign, giddy Democrats said the Virginia race as well as a Democratic victory in New Jersey prove that Bush is a political toxin for Republicans.

"The arrogance of saying, `I'm the Great George Bush. I'm coming to Virginia in the 12th hour and pulling Kilgore's bacon out of the fire.' I think he rallied Democrats with that move," said Steve Jarding, a Democratic political consultant who helped elect Virginia's current governor, Mark Warner.

"Democratic voters said, 'I'll send you a message, George Bush, if that's what you want.'"

U2democrat said:
AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was front row center at the victory party!!!!!!!!! I'm in tons of AP photos, so if you see a blonde girl wearing an "I :heart: Tim" shirt that's me.

But OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tim came out on stage, saw me and said "Hey Laura!" and I later got a hug from him :D

At one point Gov. Warner was introducing TIm, and Tim's eyes started filling up with tears, so did mine, but we both fought them.

I took a TON of photos, I'll upload them when I get back to school tomorrow. WOW!!!!!!!! SWEET VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you earnt it pet, great work :up:

Kilgores dodgy campaigning ads and inability to grasp the concept of the 'hypothetical question' probably helped sway this one.

:applaud: I got so excited when I read in the paper that he won

I don't see any photos of you yet, but look at this one- he's looking at this thread :wink:

capt.vash10511090141.governors_race_vash105.jpg

Gov Elect Kaine: "OMG, kids, isn't that Laura?" :lol:

Congrats to Kaine and U2Dem. VA remains blue! :yes: This will be important groundwork to build on for the 2006 Congressional elections, and 2008. :up:

Yay! Yesterday was a happy day for Democrats. Let's keep the momentum, work for worthy candidiates, and make the future a better place.

Thanks...I can't even begin to describe how good I feel right now. To see Tim's photo all over the internet...on CNN...NBC...it's just wonderful. He deserves it.

When I woke up this morning, turned on "Good Morning, America" and found out that the fine Mr. Kaine had won, I nearly shouted, "Yeah for U2Democrat!!" I'm so happy for you Laura and you look so cute in that photo!!

Timothy Naftali: Virginia, A Republican Problem

Timothy NaftaliWed Nov 9,10:03 AM ET

Tim Kaine has just been elected Governor of Virginia and national Republicans should be concerned. All week in Charlottesville, Virginia, a Democratic echo chamber in the center of the state, there was serious pessimism that the Democratic candidate would win, despite the popularity of the current Democratic governor, Mark Warner. Traditionally a Democrat needs to be ahead by 6 or 7 points in the last poll before any election to have any chance to carry the state. A seasoned local Democratic pol explained this by telling me that Virginian Republicans tend to lie to pollsters about who they are planning to vote for. Leaving that possibly partisan sociology aside, Mark Warner's victory in 2001 was indeed a lot narrower than had been predicted by the polls. With Kaine leading by only a couple of points going into today's vote, he seemed to be a likely loser. Kaine had run on the theme of good government, while trying to stay away from social issues and many of his supporters believed that his campaign was too lackluster. His opponent, Jerry Kilgore, though a weak campaigner enjoyed the enthusiastic support of Virginia's powerful and wealthy religious right. Moreover, in recent days, the Kilgore campaign mounted a mischievous effort to split the Democratic vote by encouraging progressives to support an independent candidate. A flyer entitled "Official Democratic and Progressive 2005 Voters Guide" appeared at the doorsteps of registered Democrats. It featured a donkey and gave reasons why the independent candidate, Russ Potts, was more pro-gay and pro-choice than the Democratic candidate. Only a careful reader could see the fine print that the flyer was developed and paid for by state Republicans. Meanwhile telephone banks started calling registered Democrats to tell them that the independent candidate was more committed to womens' issues than Tim Kaine. When some of the recipients of these calls looked up the organization that claimed credit for giving this progressive advice, they found that it was a Republican PAC. Democrats shook their heads and until tonight worried that these ploys might succeed.

Despite all of these apparent advantages, Kilgore lost by five points. Indeed Kaine's margin of victory was larger than his lead in recent polls and despite the Republican eve-of-the-election trick, the independent vote collapsed with the Democrat the sole beneficiary. This is not supposed to happen in Virginia. And, by the way, this week President Bush made a last-minute campaign stop here to help Kilgore. That was also supposed to help in a Red state.

A BIG RED, WHITE, & BLUE
*** Congratulations***
to Tim Kane, Virgina, Democrats & other voters & U2 Dem !!!

:happy: runs in to give u2dem a Big Victiory {{{Hug}}} !!!

I was thinking of you all, all day/eve yesterday!
Some one called Air aMERICA EARLY IN THE Afternoon saying some of the Diebold mACHINES WERE registering the Other Guy's name when people went to select Tim Kane. I was so :mad: :mad: ! So I sent nuetralizing vibes to Virginia to help thwart any upcoming Republican/Neo-com/Rovian efforts to ruin your chances.

Hoorayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! :applaud::applaud: :applaud:

Now it's " Take back the House in 2006!!! "

......and start the impeachment hearings !!!

Last edited:
Woohoo! Tim got a standing ovation on Capitol Hill :D
In D.C., Kaine visits Democrats
BY PETER HARDIN AND TYLER WHITLEY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITERS
Thursday, November 17, 2005

Gov.-elect Timothy M. Kaine did a victory lap on Capitol Hill yesterday, meeting privately with members of the House of Representatives Democratic Caucus.

Lawmakers who attended said Kaine, who soundly defeated Republican Jerry W. Kilgore in a so-called "red" state, received a standing ovation.

Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California said afterward that members congratulated Kaine on his victory and praised him for the civility of his campaign.

They also praised him for "how he organized the people of Virginia with a message of sincerity [and] of economic growth," Pelosi said.

Other Democrats touched on Kaine's effective discussion of faith and values in his campaign and his running as part of an administration that showed management competence, lawmakers said.

Kaine ran as an heir to Gov. Mark R. Warner. Sources said Kaine will announce today that Warner's chief of staff, William H. Leighty, will continue as his chief of staff.

Kaine scheduled a news conference today to announce "major appointments."

Leighty is a career state employee who has been director of the Virginia Retirement System and a deputy commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles. He has worked for state government for 23 years, through Democratic and Republican administrations.

The Kaine victory last week gave a boost to the presidential hopes of Warner, who has formed a political committee and has begun to travel about the country talking to Democrats. He goes to New Hampshire, the first presidential primary state, tomorrow.

He also is planning to speak at a Florida Democratic convention in Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 11. Two other presidential hopefuls, 2004 vice presidential candidate John Edwards and Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa, also are scheduled to speak.

I'll be seeing him on Monday, and possibly again on Tuedsay. :up:

Back
Top Bottom