if this doesn't get you pumped for the Triple J Hottest 100, nothing will

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I don't care for Kendrick, and I preferred his other song that was played earlier, and even I'm outraged that the Rubens somehow won. I had no idea they had new music out, had never heard of this particular song, never meet anybody into them, and I just wonder where on earth these votes are coming from and who these dull people are.

^haha. That made me laugh.

I mean I don't why I allow myself to get so outraged about the Hottest 100. I think I just enjoy getting into fights (which would explain why I was so excited to see the Granuid post a Kanye link when I was online, cos I knew I'd get a top comment and I spent the next 24 hours arguing). Every year it is extremely disappointing and it's just not worth the mental and eventually physical effort required to get so worked up for eight hours. I just fucking hate the mediocre songs that wind up beating good songs.

Ax my girlfriend says her cousin is a popular "metal" band. Apparently they're huge in Germany. Reckons they are (or were) called Cemetery Urn or Abominator. Any idea?

I kindly ask that the court strike anything "liamcool" says from the record in light of recent evidence

Last edited by a moderator:
Ax my girlfriend says her cousin is a popular "metal" band. Apparently they're huge in Germany. Reckons they are (or were) called Cemetery Urn or Abominator. Any idea?

I know of both bands, thanks to being around the Melbourne metal scene long enough, but I haven't actually heard them. And it seems shockingly easy for metal bands to achieve some measure of success in Germany. It's the metal equivalent of "big in Japan".

I kindly ask that the court strike anything "liamcool" says from the record in light of recent evidence

Ahahahaha WELL THEN LIAM. So much for all my embarrassing shit on this website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of both bands, thanks to being around the Melbourne metal scene long enough, but I haven't actually heard them. And it seems shockingly easy for metal bands to achieve some measure of success in Germany. It's the metal equivalent of "big in Japan".

My girlfriend's reply, verbatim:

"Hahahaha to be honest I'm pretty sure the reason Ive heard they're good is because all the aunties/mum go on about how successful they are even though I don't think any of them have actually listened through an entire song ?
My aunty Di listened to a cd of theirs years ago and told my cousin she thought he'd sent her the wrong thing because it didn't sound like music just noise and screaming ?????"

I'm just listening to some Beach House right now and wondering how the hell they missed the 100.

My girlfriend's reply, verbatim:

"Hahahaha to be honest I'm pretty sure the reason Ive heard they're good is because all the aunties/mum go on about how successful they are even though I don't think any of them have actually listened through an entire song ??????
My aunty Di listened to a cd of theirs years ago and told my cousin she thought he'd sent her the wrong thing because it didn't sound like music just noise and screaming ??????????????????????????????"

It's fucking hilarious at local metal gigs to look around because it's so easy to spot the random parent who's struggling to reconcile their simultaneous feelings of pride and absolute horror. Yes your kid is fucking owning the guitar/bass/mic/drums/whatever, and yes you bloody wish the racket would stop.

A good mate of mine from school plays bass in metal bands back in Queensland. His dad is a very good amateur photographer and shoots their shows. I know what music his dad is into. I seriously don't know how he gets through the shoots.

you know, I'd be more than happy for you to make me a "metal" mixtape to get me into the music.

I'd like to try! Though my metal tastes are atypical, I suppose much like my approach to a lot of music. What sort of heavier stuff have you enjoyed? I remember you like Chelsea Wolfe.

^haha. That made me laugh.

I mean I don't why I allow myself to get so outraged about the Hottest 100. I think I just enjoy getting into fights (which would explain why I was so excited to see the Granuid post a Kanye link when I was online, cos I knew I'd get a top comment and I spent the next 24 hours arguing). Every year it is extremely disappointing and it's just not worth the mental and eventually physical effort required to get so worked up for eight hours. I just fucking hate the mediocre songs that wind up beating good songs.

My posts here might suggest otherwise, but I don't get remotely worked up about the hottest 100. It's shit, I knew it was shit going in, I was just working at my computer so whatever. There's a vast tree of popular music, new or otherwise, that Triple J will never touch (although there was a time when they would) because they're a station for kids, and that's fine. Fuck 'em.

Every time I hear about that Rubens no. 1 'Hoops' now, my mind goes straight to the Monty Python aeroplane-training sketch.

"OOOOH! AN HOOP! No more BUTTERED SCONES for me MATER, I'M OFF TO PLAY THE GRAND PIANO!"

ouch. Listeners have indeed gone a bit soft (in the head).

Meaningless machine-age pop that could have been and probably was written by someone’s laptop while they were getting a tattoo of a skull on their calf. “Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we all need someone to lean on!” the song exhorts, reaching new depths of shallowness. Yes folks, that’s a paradox right there, and it’s a lot more interesting than anything you will find in this synthetic turkey.

About sums up my thoughts on Major Lazer and a whole lot more besides.

Last edited:
The comment section is a bunch old people yelling at clouds together. I suppose the article itself begs such responses.

I found the top 10 pretty bland and forgettable myself. Hoops is an uninspiring #1, so much so that I can't even be happy for a band I've never heard of getting some shine. It's such an average song.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't they yell at clouds together. They're complaining about the same things as people in this thread. And rightly so.

Nah, they're missing the point. It's a bunch of old fucks patting themselves on the back for only listening to 10 albums a year and turning their noses to the music that youths are "forced to listen to" nowadays because they perceive all new music to be terrible. Yawn.

The useful point to be made here is that youths are "forced to listen to" mediocre music because popular stations like triple J have become soft and staid. It really is just a bunch of car commercial shit at this point outside of a few gems and that's not fully representative of their demographic's interests. The same thing is happening to KROQ here in the states. Radio stations broadcast down to their listeners once monetary stakes are raised.

Last edited:
One would hope Triple J would be immune from that, being govt funded.

I'd like to try! Though my metal tastes are atypical, I suppose much like my approach to a lot of music. What sort of heavier stuff have you enjoyed? I remember you like Chelsea Wolfe.

I did like Chelsea Wolfe, I REALLY like Strange Hellos by Torres. I was partial to a couple of Slipknot songs back in the day, and I still have an affinity for System of a Down. Otherwise, hmm... Japandroids, RATM... Pearl Jam is a band I go to a lot. I'm looking for loud, cacophonous guitars, that have some joy to them, or not... music I can put on in the morning and get my day off to a good start, y'know?

Every time I hear about that Rubens no. 1 'Hoops' now, my mind goes straight to the Monty Python aeroplane-training sketch.

"OOOOH! AN HOOP! No more BUTTERED SCONES for me MATER, I'M OFF TO PLAY THE GRAND PIANO!"

:lol::lol::lol:

This all started from her (true) tweet that there have been more Hottest 100 winners from St Kevin's than women.

What the debate around Triple J's Hottest 100 misses about privilege | Music | The Guardian

You know, I believe that trying to affirmative action the shit out of lists and awards is a hollow gesture that ultimately forces some great work to get left out, but seriously...2015 was a fucking great year for women in music and they're vastly underrepresented on triple J's list. It was pretty bad. People need to expand their horizons.

Does affirmative action = a quota? If so, I agree it's hollow and lame but I don't know how else were going to get the representation up. I agree it was a great year for women in music. WHAT I'D LIKE to know is the stats on gender of music JJJ plays throughout the year. I would think that it is much less than 50/50. THAT is what I think needs to change. You play an equal amount of female music, give it as much love, and surely the representation in the Hottest 100 begins to change.

I think getting pissy about the gender breakdown in the Hottest 100 itself is useless because it is popularly voted, by men and women, and you like what you like. If your 10 fav songs of the year are all by men, that doesn't make you sexist, imo, you just dig what you dig.

Does affirmative action = a quota? If so, I agree it's hollow and lame but I don't know how else were going to get the representation up.

Yes, that's what I mean. A mandated minority representation that matches the overall population, like what Oscar boycotters are demanding. I think it's good that those in charge are being made aware, but be careful with that. It's a touchy balance.

And yeah, in the case of the hottest 100, it's up to the listeners to decide and I'm not sure what the gender breakdown of those voting is. It's not like a bunch of old white men are deciding 100% of it, so I'm not sure what's supposed to be done. I just think people need to give more female artists a try. There are a lot of great ones out there and always have been.

I think the fundamental issue is not with what people are voting for, but with what Triple J are playing - because the voting still heavily skews towards what they have in rotation even with the increasingly global voting. I too very much doubt that the male/female split is anywhere close to 50/50.

I think a very simple thing they could do is make every featured album of the week for a year by a female solo artist or a band with at least 50% women (including the singer). Don't change any other programming whatsoever. I'm sure it would have a beneficial effect.

Here's the list of the featured albums for the past year and it skews strongly male: Feature Albums 2015 | triple j

I did like Chelsea Wolfe, I REALLY like Strange Hellos by Torres. I was partial to a couple of Slipknot songs back in the day, and I still have an affinity for System of a Down. Otherwise, hmm... Japandroids, RATM... Pearl Jam is a band I go to a lot. I'm looking for loud, cacophonous guitars, that have some joy to them, or not... music I can put on in the morning and get my day off to a good start, y'know?

Righto, hmm, I'm not entirely sure how much of my sort of metal fits that bill but I'll have a go. To be honest, more old school metal would be better handled by somebody else - I take no interest in really any pre-nineties metal (so traditional heavy metal, Sabbath-era doom metal, eighties thrash, etc. are all off my radar). But I can definitely do something to cover the last 25 years, in part based on what got me into metal. I've been throwing some stuff into a playlist today and been enjoying the nostalgia trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom