I Want To Live In America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sebo20 said:
I think I am going to stick with KEVIN051269 and Axver here. What Kevin says is absolutely true for me. I attended two shows, luckily one of them in Milan where they played two more songs than usual. But the lack of even waiting for a surprise in the set is just too annoying. A few moments ago I read the part of the interview with The Edge for u2.com where he says he can not reveal what they are rehearsing because it would spoil the surprise. Well, I think it's too late for Europe. Speaking of Europe, let me think again: how many shows did they do in the eastern part of Europe? With the exception of Poland, none. But yes, they did shows there in the past. Like they did them in Australia and New Zealand. And South America. But not anymore. Why? FLOM?

I was very surprised by what's been happening to the setlist for this leg. I went to 6 shows in the 1st leg where I was able to hear every song played to date (other than ISHFWILF). Then went to Barcelona & San Sebastian where I heard the same songs both times and had been following the European setlists very closely. I really thought they'd come back here and just continue with those songs that they added in Europe but weren't really played during the 1st leg i.e. MS, ISHFWILF, IWF, AIWIY while continuing with the 1st leg songs that seemed to all but disappear in Europe. I can tell you I was as shocked as anyone when all of these changes started happening from day 1 of this current leg, to the point where ISHFWILF & IWF have only made 1 appearance in the first 5 shows. U2.com posted this interview with Edge a couple of days ago that actually addressed this question. I'm not saying its valid but's it their perception. (The only thing I wish he would have addressed was why the hell did they go with the Vertigo x2 for just about every show sans a few.)

I won't comment on why they go to some places and not others because I have no idea. The only thing that I will say regarding that is that's the fans in these less or never travelled places have every right to complain, but it shouldn't come down to some of the insults that end up being wielded at Americans because U2 comes here alot. We have no control over where U2 tours. (And this is not directed at U2Spain who started this thread because he clearly stated the difference. Its more directed at some comments I've read from other people in other threads related to this same issue. )

Hopefully U2 will tour Australia and Europe again next year in Arenas.

This was from the Edge interview.

And one reason why it’s good to put new songs in?

I think it particularly works playing indoors as you are close enough to the crowd for them to see the process, for them to see when you are leaving the rails, going off into new territory and trying something different. The whole concept has a different energy when that happens. Outdoors in the big arenas where we were in Europe this summer, bigger gestures are more crucial and its more difficult to include everyone in something (experimental) like a rather crap version of a new song! You are concentrating on things in a different way when you know exactly what you are doing, a different part of the brain is engaged and there is something really exhilarating about going into the unknown. So we are constantly developing ideas, we don’t want it to be static.

Didn't Edge say in the new interview on U2.com that it's much more difficult to change the setlists in big stadiums?

I'm amazed that people feel so short-changed. I went to three Europe shows, the setlists varied a little (Still Haven't Found, Wild Horses, Mysterious Ways, AIWIY, WOWY) and in a different order, and it worked so well as a set that those little adaptations were more than satisfactory. They were fanstastically brilliant gigs, amazing production plus each had very different and brilliant support acts. I really can't find reason to complain.

Axver said:

Stating facts is one thing, but in the presentation you can twist them to support whatever premise you like. Perth, they played an arena due to the lack of availability of a stadium. Brisbane is Australia's cultural black hole and they just shouldn't play here on a stadium tour. Melbourne's Popmart attendance is inexplicable and does not make sense.

But at the end of the day, what you have to consider with the timing of Popmart is that it came a year after the release of Pop - the album was received poorly, sold badly, and all the bad press about Popmart would've worked its way to Australia. All of those factors worked against attendance. Meanwhile, on ZooTV, U2 came down here on the back of Zooropa (which would've re-ignited interest in Achtung Baby) and the ZooTV Tour was getting wildly positive reviews. Also, RAH/Lovetown (U2's most successful period in Australia) was a recent memory and still had some currency, but by Popmart, that effect was running out and now it's gone.

Ultimately, I do not believe they should bring the stadium show here unless it's directly on the back of a new album. Otherwise, play arenas. They'll sell out and the production costs are much lower.

In any case, using Popmart to show poor attendance here isn't that wise considering the fact it's an anomaly - attendance-wise, ZooTV and UF did very well and Lovetown was an insanely good success. Going to New Zealand and you don't have any attendance disaster stories - in fact, you have a case of U2 having to add a second stadium show in Auckland on Lovetown when in almost any other country in the world, you wouldn't be able to sell a single stadium! And the fact they could play Christchurch Lovetown at all speaks volumes when US cities today with larger populations don't get shows (i.e. Nashville) even though it's only an arena tour.

:up:

I'm still mystified that it's late September and any news of any tours in 2006 are still not confirmed. This time last year I was buying tickets to REM, a concert I saw in April!

I'm confused, do U2 really think they can't tour here (and other off the track countries) without their whizzbang stage show and 200 staff? I saw them play in the 80's with a sheet for a backdrop and I was mesmerised by their music.

Do u2 have so little confidence in their audience's intelligence that they can't play anywhere without their lights, bells and whistles?:shrug:

eh hem...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thank you

Fist of all, I have to say that I attended to shows ( Barcelona and Madrid ) and I enjoyed both shows. It was great although they only changed a song. But i feel angry when I see what happens in USA. After the concert I met some people from spanish forums outside the stadium Calderon and the most part of them had attended two or three spanish gigs this tour ( Barcelona, Madrid and Donosti ) and they were disappointed because the lack of changes in the setlist. But the more disappointed were those who were in the GA in Madrid and had seen the setlist with spanish eyes before the beginning of the concert ( the setlist was attached on the stage ).

I don't say that the europeans concert weren't good but i think that they weren't so spontanious as americans were.

I think that when they play in a stadium they know that the most part of the audience are´t fans and they have to play a greatest hits setlist. This doesn't happen in an arena, where the most part of the audience are fanatic and they can mix up the setlist and play not famous songs. But if you want to play a greatest hits setlist it doesn't matter if you change i will follow for out of control or gloria, yahweh for original or fast cars, zoo station for ultraviolet or until, ... because the no-fans didn't notice it.

The only reason is a lazy way of the band when they were in Europe ( remember also what happened with Bad in Paris 2 ).

The reason fot not playing lately in Australia is a money reason. The failure of Popmart there could be the strongest reason. Going to Australia is expensive for the band and nowadays the band is in a FLOM way of act and be. Popmart frightened the band and now they take care of not losing money, because of that they don't go to Australia and don't try to play in stadiums in USA.

PD: 1stOne I remembre the great concert in Barcelona!! and we will have this concert on dvd in one or two months thanks to xavi !

U2Spain said:
Fist of all, I have to say that I attended to shows ( Barcelona and Madrid ) and I enjoyed both shows. It was great although they only changed a song. But i feel angry when I see what happens in USA. After the concert I met some people from spanish forums outside the stadium Calderon and the most part of them had attended two or three spanish gigs this tour ( Barcelona, Madrid and Donosti ) and they were disappointed because the lack of changes in the setlist. But the more disappointed were those who were in the GA in Madrid and had seen the setlist with spanish eyes before the beginning of the concert ( the setlist was attached on the stage ).

I don't say that the europeans concert weren't good but i think that they weren't so spontanious as americans were.

I think that when they play in a stadium they know that the most part of the audience are´t fans and they have to play a greatest hits setlist. This doesn't happen in an arena, where the most part of the audience are fanatic and they can mix up the setlist and play not famous songs. But if you want to play a greatest hits setlist it doesn't matter if you change i will follow for out of control or gloria, yahweh for original or fast cars, zoo station for ultraviolet or until, ... because the no-fans didn't notice it.

The only reason is a lazy way of the band when they were in Europe ( remember also what happened with Bad in Paris 2 ).

The reason fot not playing lately in Australia is a money reason. The failure of Popmart there could be the strongest reason. Going to Australia is expensive for the band and nowadays the band is in a FLOM way of act and be. Popmart frightened the band and now they take care of not losing money, because of that they don't go to Australia and don't try to play in stadiums in USA.

PD: 1stOne I remembre the great concert in Barcelona!! and we will have this concert on dvd in one or two months thanks to xavi !

U2Spain, U2 has no need to make up for PopMart in the US... ATYCLB did that quite nicely.

If U2 used the same stage in Europe as they did in the US areanas, you'd have a point. But you guys got the huge screens and bullseyes at the end of the catwalks.

And the changes in the setlist on leg 3 are a new development that I don't think many were expecting. I am betting that Willie Williams' departure is a bigger factor than anything.

But don't put down American fans as being quiet, etc. I've never been to a U2 show in the US where the crowd was any less passionate about the band. If they were, do you think that the band would take the time to tour here?

And when you do the math, California has about the same population as Spain. I bet the 8 or 9 arena shows in California equates to the stadium shows in Spain as far as the number of people goes...

and it may just be a cultural thing. My perception is that Europeans really dig big stadiums for all of their events. Whereas in America, with the exception of the NFL, most events take place in smaller arenas. Again, that's just my perception and it may or may not be the case.

Again this thread and i will again say that u2 loves America:
"Around about 1987, when we were recording the Joshua tree album, i fell in love with America. It's not just a country, it's an idea."-Bono, somewhere sometime
Fuck that.

We all live in America
America ist wunderbar.
-Rammstein

Americans always got more attention and i agree with U2Spain.

Bono 1987.

To be honest, I sometimes feel more like an American than a European. I just feel more at home over there. Now Edge is more of a European. He needs the old buildings and all of that. Edge
goes to America and he is looking for old buildings. He just needs them. I remember the first time I visited Chicago, I couldn't believe I was there. And the strange thing is I felt I was home. Almost as if I had been there before.

Spanish Dude,

Your complaints are founded and unfounded.

Founded:
AmeriCanada gets a disproportionate amount of shows. Canada, for example, with its population of 30 million has had like 8 - 10 shows.

Unfounded:
The setlists have changed since coming back to America. They haven't really. A few token changes. It's also the 3rd leg... had the 3rd leg been in Europe, you'd likely have had these changes.

Guest appearances. Eddie Vedder happened to be in T.O., Daniel Lanois is Canadian. Two coincidences. Did we complain when U2 brought Abba on-stage during ZooTV in Sweden?

To summarize, U2 loves AmeriCanada. We're cooler and it's easier to tour here.

Axver said:

Stating facts is one thing, but in the presentation you can twist them to support whatever premise you like. Perth, they played an arena due to the lack of availability of a stadium. Brisbane is Australia's cultural black hole and they just shouldn't play here on a stadium tour. Melbourne's Popmart attendance is inexplicable and does not make sense.

But at the end of the day, what you have to consider with the timing of Popmart is that it came a year after the release of Pop - the album was received poorly, sold badly, and all the bad press about Popmart would've worked its way to Australia. All of those factors worked against attendance. Meanwhile, on ZooTV, U2 came down here on the back of Zooropa (which would've re-ignited interest in Achtung Baby) and the ZooTV Tour was getting wildly positive reviews. Also, RAH/Lovetown (U2's most successful period in Australia) was a recent memory and still had some currency, but by Popmart, that effect was running out and now it's gone.

Ultimately, I do not believe they should bring the stadium show here unless it's directly on the back of a new album. Otherwise, play arenas. They'll sell out and the production costs are much lower.

In any case, using Popmart to show poor attendance here isn't that wise considering the fact it's an anomaly - attendance-wise, ZooTV and UF did very well and Lovetown was an insanely good success. Going to New Zealand and you don't have any attendance disaster stories - in fact, you have a case of U2 having to add a second stadium show in Auckland on Lovetown when in almost any other country in the world, you wouldn't be able to sell a single stadium! And the fact they could play Christchurch Lovetown at all speaks volumes when US cities today with larger populations don't get shows (i.e. Nashville) even though it's only an arena tour.

Attendance for ZOO TV in New Zealand was very poor. I don't have the numbers with me at the moment, but it was not good, some of the lowest attended stadium shows of the entire ZOO TV tour. Because of that, the band did not visit New Zealand in 1998 on POPMART and given how poor the sales were in Australia, that was probably a good idea. The amazing attendance in New Zealand in 1989 looks like the real anomaly in this case.

U2 loves America... and hates Asia. Is that the case? I hope not because they don't seem to be that kind op people but I just wish that even for just one show in their entire career, please tour here in Manila!!!

Don't want to take this thread too off track, but...

DanB said:
I remember the first time I visited Chicago, I couldn't believe I was there. And the strange thing is I felt I was home. Almost as if I had been there before.

That's cos it's Chicago. We're a special city. :)

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Yeah I do get the impression that they have an affinity for the US... Boston, Chicago and New York especially. I suppose though that the reason they are getting the new songs out now is that this is their second time visiting the US cities and the people there don't want a carbon copy of what they heard a few months ago. So IF they come back to Europe (which I hope for but I think is probably unlikely) then they will incorporate these new songs too.

And I don't know about the Spanish concerts but the boys still played 3 great gigs at Croke Park (most likelybetter then most or all shows they've played on the US tour so far).

Nope. Our lovely little Minneapolis just blew your Croke out of the water I'm proud to say! And I'm being objective too; I never would have said that compared to the excellent Irish gigs of previous tours. But this time we got you! :)

To U2Spain, I feel your pain as to the static setlists. But we did get those in America as well on the 1st leg. I wonder though, if it has to do more with playing in separate countries with different languages that they get the same sets?

And to your benefit, you did get a massive stadium tour compared to our small venue dates. That stage you had was truely amazing. The indoor stage really isn't all that impressive.

are you all serious????!!!!!????? i'm sorry if this seems insensitive but i mean give me a f@#$ing break.....

LOTTERY VS NO LOTTERY!!!!!......

which would you rather have? the opportunity to see the band up close and personal if you wait for over 12 hours in line or the chance of being so blessed as to stand behind tall amazon-like people by the soundboard at 90% of the shows you attended AFTER having already waited more than 12 hours????

now i ask you....who's more loved? PLEASE!!!!:banghead: :rant: :scream:

Well we went to all the UK and 2 Croke shows and were either on the very front row or on the rail of the Bstage at Adams side and we queued for more than 12 hours at each so I'm not complaining!
But bearing in mind thats only 8 shows compared to the 70 plus shows over 2 legs that America is getting so it hardly compares. The only fair way is the lottery otherwise the band are looking at the same faces every night as it seems to be the same people posting for every single gig.
There again if they did that amount of gigs over in Europe I'm sure I would go to as many!!
Like thats every going to happen!!:madspit:

popbellydancer said:
are you all serious????!!!!!????? i'm sorry if this seems insensitive but i mean give me a f@#$ing break.....

which would you rather have? the opportunity to see the band up close and personal if you wait for over 12 hours in line or the chance of being so blessed as to stand behind tall amazon-like people by the soundboard at 90% of the shows you attended AFTER having already waited more than 12 hours????

:hmm:

Yeah but if you have been waiting for over 12 hours and your ticket doesn't beep to say you are in the bomb shelter, then surely you will still be on the first couple of rows on the other side of the oval and I reckon that would still be a pretty good view??

And bear in mind, our first gig at Manc 1, some people DID wait over 12 hours and still didnt get wristbands inside the bs as they werent willing to pay some of the bastard stewards at the gates who were selling them. And if you were outside the bs on the stadium gigs, you were obviously a lot further back than on the US legs!

So I still think you are getting the better deal!

Jo.

popbellydancer said:

So you wouldn't mind having a static setlist as long as the lottery is abandoned? Unfortunately the people who went to many many shows during Elevation and couldn't be anywhere but front stage rail in the heart for all of them brought the lottery on us, not what country U2 loves more, since I don't think they love any one country over another.

These is clear based on what Bono said in an interview during the summer:

"Okay, your audience are genuine, they are not going to pull you aside, but even the U2 audience. Filming -- here's a classic example -- not this tour, last tour -- Elevation tour. We're filming the tour for the DVD in Boston. We have a row with our fans, right, because there's people on the road who are in the first row every night. There's like a caravan of them. We're saying, "Can we just play to, like, the people of the town we're in, instead of the one that's following us?" They organize a sitdown in the heart. We're filming. They sit down! You wouldn't do that while we're filming. I mean, we understand you make a protest but not while we're filming. So even our audience are rough.

Last edited:
lisa2004 said:

:hmm:

Yeah but if you have been waiting for over 12 hours and your ticket doesn't beep to say you are in the bomb shelter, then surely you will still be on the first couple of rows on the other side of the oval and I reckon that would still be a pretty good view??

And bear in mind, our first gig at Manc 1, some people DID wait over 12 hours and still didnt get wristbands inside the bs as they werent willing to pay some of the bastard stewards at the gates who were selling them. And if you were outside the bs on the stadium gigs, you were obviously a lot further back than on the US legs!

So I still think you are getting the better deal!

Jo.

That happened to us no wristbands!!!!!!:madspit:
So we stopped everyone going into the ellipse until it got sorted which it did after about an hour of demanding somone come down in authority.
Fan Power!!!:wink:

Bono's Tart said:
Well we went to all the UK and 2 Croke shows and were either on the very front row or on the rail of the Bstage at Adams side and we queued for more than 12 hours at each so I'm not complaining!
But bearing in mind thats only 8 shows compared to the 70 plus shows over 2 legs that America is getting so it hardly compares. The only fair way is the lottery otherwise the band are looking at the same faces every night as it seems to be the same people posting for every single gig.
There again if they did that amount of gigs over in Europe I'm sure I would go to as many!!
Like thats every going to happen!!:madspit:

Well said Bono's Tart :applaud:

I'm still praying though that there will be a European Arena tour next year - and if there is I guess I will see you there at the front!!! :wink:

Bono's Tart said:

That happened to us no wristbands!!!!!!:madspit:
So we stopped everyone going into the ellipse until it got sorted which it did after about an hour of demanding somone come down in authority.
Fan Power!!!:wink:

Good for you.

We were at Gate Y and were having mini tantrums as our gate was not opening and we could see fans were inside. We'd been there since 12.30am the night before!! I dont know what i would have done if id been told once i had got inside that i had to pay for wristbands, I think I may have got slightly violent!!!!!! I was annoyed enoigh that they told us we weren't allowed cameras inside. I was like "Well, ive seen lots of photos from the US leg so I guess its different for them!!!!!!!!"

So badly organised. And we did luckily get to sneak one camera inside. We were on the rail by Edges b stage.

What a show!

Jo.

I agree that UKI in particular received a bizarrely low number of concerts. For whatever reason, the USA does appear to have recieved the bulk of the shows.

Regardless of methods of entering the concert, some of the people of Western Europe and Northern America entered the concert. Which is the point. The people outside these two regions haven't had any option - up against the rail, in the nosebleeds, or anywhere inbetween.

This is my (hopefully) polite post.

Beli, you're point is clearer than anything. I know you probably won't believe this, but when U2 announces that they will be touring Australia next year I will probably cry tears of happiness.

Thanks Rose. It won't just be you crying. :wink:

I hope, really hope, that U2 visit Brazil as well.

Then theres the long list of countries that don't have a hope in hell. Why haven't the boffins invented teleporters yet?

ramblin rose said:
Beli, you're point is clearer than anything. I know you probably won't believe this, but when U2 announces that they will be touring Australia next year I will probably cry tears of happiness.

:cute:

Thats sweet.

(Of course the benifits will be two fold - we get the concerts and there will be no more bitching from any Australians in setlist parties)

ramblin rose said:

So you wouldn't mind having a static setlist as long as the lottery is abandoned? Unfortunately the people who went to many many shows during Elevation and couldn't be anywhere but front stage rail in the heart for all of them brought the lottery on us, not what country U2 loves more, since I don't think they love any one country over another.

These is clear based on what Bono said in an interview during the summer:

summer:

Quote:
"Okay, your audience are genuine, they are not going to pull you aside, but even the U2 audience. Filming -- here's a classic example -- not this tour, last tour -- Elevation tour. We're filming the tour for the DVD in Boston. We have a row with our fans, right, because there's people on the road who are in the first row every night. There's like a caravan of them. We're saying, "Can we just play to, like, the people of the town we're in, instead of the one that's following us?" They organize a sitdown in the heart. We're filming. They sit down! You wouldn't do that while we're filming. I mean, we understand you make a protest but not while we're filming. So even our audience are rough.

i'm curious to know where that interview came from????? because i was at that show and am aquainted with the people who did this and have expressed on more than one occasion that i think that was what ruined it for everyone.

but i've never seen that interview...can you post a link?

popbellydancer said:
i'm curious to know where that interview came from????? because i was at that show and am aquainted with the people who did this and have expressed on more than one occasion that i think that was what ruined it for everyone.

but i've never seen that interview...can you post a link?

Here's the link to the original thread about the interview, (and I believe there are links to the complete interview in the thread):

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131500

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom