i hope this isn't the Fly thats going to be in U23D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
europop2005 said:
is this the Fly thats going to be in U23D? Its from the Buenos Aires concert...its terrible...Bono just croons through the whole thing and just sounds bored, personally i'd love to see San Paolo Fly in 3D :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llm2iKSfCP0

DUDE, the real Fly died years ago...whatever Bono does will never be as good to be prefectly honest...:(

I'd love to see the Sao Paulo one but I thought that the videos are going to be spliced together from multiple nights.

topplehatU2 said:
I'd love to see the Sao Paulo one but I thought that the videos are going to be spliced together from multiple nights.

Sao Paulo with the jean genie intro :wink:

I like this performance. The guitar is kickin'. Bono's vocals on this song haven't been good on Vertigo period, so I don't mind.

It's miles, miles, and miles ahead of anything on the Elevation version (most overrated song on this forum), so it's cool with me.

topplehatU2 said:

I don't think that's the case. I could be wrong, but I thought the songs would be intact and they would take each song from different nights, not parts of each song.

Someone fact check me on that.

Re: Re: i hope this isn't the Fly thats going to be in U23D

OrARoundabout said:

DUDE, the real Fly died years ago...whatever Bono does will never be as good to be prefectly honest...:(

its still AMAZING live. bono just has to kick it up a notch like The Fly, Boston, Elevation :drool:

europop2005 said:
is this the Fly thats going to be in U23D? I

No - it's not. It's the footage the argentinian tv crew shot - had nothing to do with the 3d film. They probably took footage from one of the other five concerts they shot with the 3D cams.

Re: Re: Re: i hope this isn't the Fly thats going to be in U23D

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

its still AMAZING live. bono just has to kick it up a notch like The Fly, Boston, Elevation :drool:

I think he's capable...BONO WILL STEP IT UP I KNOW HE WILL!

But...
I still miss Fly...:(

6d06-2.jpg

I miss his pompousness...:(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i hope this isn't the Fly thats going to be in U23D

OrARoundabout said:

^Yo no veo!
The link isn't working! (I really want to see this, everyone is faving about it)

Don't click it.

Cut and paste it.

Re: Re: i hope this isn't the Fly thats going to be in U23D

OrARoundabout said:

no, watch carefully the boston elevation version, it's one of the best versions you WILL EVER SEE....just listen to that edge solo..it's sickeningly good...

for those of you disappointed with the vertigo version of the fly..just remember, it really isn't a challenging song vocally so it's not a matter of "stepping it up," but rather, singing it the way he has in the past...in my opinion, it seems bono just wanted to mix it up and do something different for once, he has sung it pretty much the same way up until 2005....

As far as this thread is concerned, no that is not the same performance we will be seeing in U23D...

THE FLY is still amazing live, if Bono doesn't F it up. Musically its as good as it's ever been.

There was a performance in Chicago on the last US leg that he snippeted "Crashed Car" at the end. that was unbelievacble.

anyone know the date on that one?

did they speed the fly up a little on the vertigo tour? i just finished watching the chicago performance and it got me thinking... here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4VqAeZfaY&feature=related

is that a little faster than normal?

By the way, the ending to that performance is quite possibly the greatest ending in the history of Fly performances....InCrEdIbLe!!!!

I might get some queer looks for that here, but I've been listening to a lot of Vertigo boots and The Fly and Zoo Station are the first songs I grew bored of, in the end I almost always skipped them. They don't do much for me live and I'm not a big fan of the album versions either. So I wouldn't be very sad if they just dropped these songs for the next tour.

Re: Re: Re: i hope this isn't the Fly thats going to be in U23D

JCOSTER said:

The You Tube link above is awful. Very sleepy indeed. Oh, and I hate it when Bono ruins the lyrics to a perfectly good song with short covers of other songs. I realize he's been doing it since the beginning, but I hate that. I'd go to a concert to see U2, not some evocation of some '60s or '70s crap I don't care about or some work of some musician who's in the audience. Apparently, they brought the singer of Pearl Jam on stage to sing in Toronto last time; that's the one element I'm glad I missed!

Boston Elevation...:drool:
Agreed. That was a really interesting performance. It had a neat new intro and Bono decided to sing it differently. I really liked the new sound of The Edge's guitar, too.

It wasn't better than the studio track, but I thought had much more energy and nicer sound than what I've seen recorded on The Zoo TV video/DVD, which was nothing amazing. Neither was the NYC show from 1992's "Fly".

It's so sad that Bono can't do his gospel voice anymore if only on record. That's what helps really elevate that song and so much of Achtung Baby. Quit smoking, Bono!

Last edited:
I do find the most critical factor of whether a performance is any good is Bono's vocals. He tends to sing off-beat in concert which is painfully annoying, especially during the chorus. He ruins With or Without You and Streets this way. He also sings Stuck in a Moment on beat. It's just a silly way of shaking things up.
last unicorn said:
I might get some queer looks for that here, but I've been listening to a lot of Vertigo boots and The Fly and Zoo Station are the first songs I grew bored of, in the end I almost always skipped them. They don't do much for me live and I'm not a big fan of the album versions either. So I wouldn't be very sad if they just dropped these songs for the next tour.
Yeah, but they're better than Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride (the live version without delay pedal has always been annoying to me), New Year's Day, Desire, Stay, and anything from any album since 1991, right?

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, bub. :)

In a way, I agree with you. It's time to bring back the last 4 tracks of Achtung Baby! and Side 2 of The Joshua Tree and The Drowning Man, Please, Like a Song, Promenade and The Unforgettable Fire -- all updated without '80s sounding drums in the last few cases.

Muldfeld said:
I do find the most critical factor of whether a performance is any good is Bono's vocals.

Yeah I agree, for me what seperates a great performance from a good performance is the quality of Bono's vocals, they are what really determines whether the song takes flight or not.

When I think back to the likes of Bad on WAIA or RAH, or Please on the Popheart EP or the WITS version of Kite, they all have stunning vocal performances and the song is able to reach it's full potential.

There have been times when I've been struck by how well the band are playing, how tight they are, how vital they sound and how inspired they seem, but Bono doesn't really seem to be into it, maybe he's going through the motions or something, but when I hear how exciting the band sound right behind him I feel it's a shame that he's not quite as dynamic because it could have resulted in a truly amazing performance.

This is only a small criticism because it would be impossible for a man who has sung these songs as many times as Bono to infuse each and every performance with the same degree of energy.

BTW I felt the Vertigo versions of The Fly were the best since the ZOO TV incarnation, they really shook it up and did something different with it, giving it a new electricity and drama which made it a real highlight for me. But I still feel the ZOO TV versions were the best, mainly due to Bono's voice again.

I think, The Fly is just not an interesting song to sing, maybe that's why Bono seems bored with it, it's not challenging enough. We all know how great his voice has been recently, even on the most difficult songs. If he's really into a song, he can pull it off amazingly, but not with this one. Fly and Zoo Station always seemed out of place to me on the Vertigo tour. Like they were trying to hard to revive the Zoo TV feeling, which could never work out. Those songs were perfect once, namely back in the early 90s, but they don't work any more.

Yes, the Fly is that, let the Fly rest in peace. It's good that way, the character had its time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom