I don't believe!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joerags said:
DaveC

Your arguments are cogent. For me, I don't believe there is a God or that Jesus ever existed. I am not here to bash or belittle Christians. I just feel sorry for them for believing in something that doesn't exist. But if it makes them a better human being, that's great.... I am all for people who do good and do charity and help others.. It's not going to get them any closer to a so-called heaven...
If I am wrong and that Jesus did exist, he was not the Messiah. He was just another philospher, just like Aristotle or Socrates, who pretty much preached the same things that Jesus preached, like help others and do good for others...

Hey, it takes a lot more faith to believe that there is no God than to believe in one. I don't tell you that I feel sorry for you---please don't belittle me becuase of what I believe.

Secondly, the argument about Jesus being a really great man...makes no sense. If that was the truth then his death was totally meaningless and had no purpose or bearing. Something happened....his followers never expected what happened (his rising from the dead) to happen and in a matter of days they went from hiding for thier lives to openly not caring if they were killed or not for thier faith. People don't just do a 180 like that for nothing.

I'm going to bed...g'night.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

Hey, it takes a lot more faith to believe that there is no God than to believe in one.

No, it really doesn't. I'd say it's about an equal amount of faith involved to believe in anything that cannot be proven. And that would be an immense amount.

Again, the story of Jesus is a fictional story..

I repeat:

It's a fictional story.

He rose from the dead is a great ending to a story... People in ancient Egypt and ancient Rome wanted to believe that there is an after-life.... So whoever made up this ficitional story chose that ending, to make him believable. But Jesus never existed. The whole story of Jesus is an old-wives tale, spread by these nutty people who were the early Christians.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse.
I will say this for the last time

JESUS NEVER EXISTED!!!!!!!!!

Signs and imagery of Jesus' crucifixion were prophecized in The Old Testament before crucifixion was even invented. Psalms is where I've found quite a few references, and with the help of a Study Bible, I can interpret the Gospel better than I would without it.

DaveC said:

No, it really doesn't. I'd say it's about an equal amount of faith involved to believe in anything that cannot be proven. And that would be an immense amount.
I find that non-believers create their own religion trying to prove Christianity is wrong. I see that as a waste of a lifetime, when it's improved the quality of life, given us a better work ethic, a moral compass, ahh... the benefits are too many to get started with. Me, I just feel better about myself and I feel at peace when I have God on my mind.

joerags said:

Argh, JoeRags....you are disputing a historical fact that there was a Jesus. There are several historical references proving his existence. Whether or not you believe he is the Messiah is another thing....Geez, at least DaveC has a semblance of historical relevancy to explain his viewpoint.

Jesus did exist but the way in which most people believe that he did or didn't exist is wrong. Jesus was the first child of Mary and Joseph (he was born outside of weddlock), he had brothers and sisters and by the time he died he had a wife and children who fled to France (this is for real, I suggest you take a look at Barabra Thiering's works). Most of the Jesus stuff is POLITICAL TO THE EXTREME. The God thing on the other hand is something that I'm not sure about. I'd like to think that I have more than this to look forward to, but then again hey....whatever

Cheers and have fun.:D

Yeah, I'm starting to think that I'm just wasting my time with "open-minded" people who insist that my Savior never existed without providing factual, historical evidence to support it. DaveC I can understand a little better, because he's not out to offend anybody.

Also... I think it's weird that there's an argument within atheism. There are so many theories, like "Author X says blah blah blah"... "No, Jesus never existed, I can't support this and that is my 2 cents"...

Wow. You don't even agree with why you disagree. How is this going to change my mind?

Pardon my triple post, but hopefully I can inspire some of those who have been impacted the most in Northern Ireland.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you'll allow me to briefly paraphrase prophecy in the Gospel: Many will come in his name (such as religious fanatics, etc) and many will be deceived. But those who stand firm will be rewarded.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What's going on in Northern Ireland directly relates to Jesus' warnings about watching out for false prophets. It doesn't have to mean these people will claim to be God themselves, but they certainly recreated God in their own image and give him a terrible name.

The only war I could safely say that Jesus will win is The War On Spirituality. Do not give up the faith, my friends. God is LOVE, God is MERCIFUL. God is JUST. God is NOT HATE. God is NOT RELIGION. God is NOT FALSEHOOD.

Last edited:
Joerags i have to say i believe a lot of the things you are saying. But that doesn't mean i'm criticising the rest of you!! I have a lot of respect for people who believe in god, it takes a lot of faith to believe in something you haven't seen!!
Although i don't believe in god, i do believe in heaven and hell. Because we're all living in hell right now and when we die we are in heaven,because we don't have to deal with the pain of this life anymore!!
But i guess this is a whole different topic of debate!!

joerags said:
Again, the story of Jesus is a fictional story..

I repeat:

It's a fictional story.

He rose from the dead is a great ending to a story... People in ancient Egypt and ancient Rome wanted to believe that there is an after-life.... So whoever made up this ficitional story chose that ending, to make him believable. But Jesus never existed. The whole story of Jesus is an old-wives tale, spread by these nutty people who were the early Christians.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse.
I will say this for the last time

In your original post... I think you stated that up until 4 days ago you were a "believer" and now you are not. That’s pretty quick to become so sure of something. Life a micro evolution , we learn and change constantly... in 5 years time the way you view life and god and god-stuff will be different than it is now. Don’t get caught up in your own stuff.. keep learning and evolving and that means going into Atheism - so be it. It’s as much a religion as anything else... probably more reading involved ;)... but it’s an ever-changing viewpoint. Science isn’t the same as it was 200 years ago... it’s not the same as it was 10 years ago. Theories are proven and shown to be incorrect daily. Any scientist will tell you there are few "facts" in science, only theories....

DaveC said:
But Jesus was human, so the Bible says, in his time on Earth until the time of his ascension into Heaven.

But Jesus never sinned.

Therefore, if every human sins, and Jesus did not sin, we can infer that Jesus Christ was not truly human. So therefore doesn't that sort of nullify the sacrifice made...? :scratch:

Dave,

You would have enjoyed the class I am in...we spent about three hours on this the other day. This is almost EXACTLY the debate that occured in the early church councils.

I would say this, so much time is/was spent on this topic....that the message and example of the Christ story is missed.

And I love to talk about things like this.

DaveC said:

Ahh, you didn't read my post at all. That wasn't what I meant when I said modern Christianity is bastardized. I meant that the New Testament is completely modified, aspects of Jesus' life, death, resurrection, ascension, etc...they were all changed in 325 AD at the Council of Nicaea.

The entire Bible was revised, basically, akin to taking a textbook you wrote on Biology and adding new information, subtracting old ideas based on new research, or even just continuity of information.

The idea of Jesus as we know Him today was actually formed almost 300 years after his death and resurrection.

[/history major]

While you and I may agree on this, theologians still believe there are things in the four Gospels that actually reflect the true meaning of the Christ story.

starsgoblue said:
There was a Council of Nicea....what you are saying was accomplished is not accurate.

There were many Christian "SECTS" at the time. Each with their own distinct flavor and traditions. There was no ONE organized Christian group. Many disagreed with each other.

Frontline (PBS) just did a show on the formation of the church. The one thing that was abundantly clear is that the Councils were formed by the Emporer. The Emporer wanted on CODIFIED set of beliefs. The Christian Sects that did not fall into line with the CODIFIED beliefs were persecuted and eliminated.

I would say this, that to ignore the political ramminifications of the Councils, would be silly to do. If they are not accurate, that is for you or I to decide in our hearts.

My beliefs are that these councils argued about DOCTRINE and RULES for salvation, that quite honestly I think God is bigger than......

Lil'Bono said:
Joerags i have to say i believe a lot of the things you are saying. But that doesn't mean i'm criticising the rest of you!! I have a lot of respect for people who believe in god, it takes a lot of faith to believe in something you haven't seen!!
Although i don't believe in god, i do believe in heaven and hell. Because we're all living in hell right now and when we die we are in heaven,because we don't have to deal with the pain of this life anymore!!
But i guess this is a whole different topic of debate!!

I don't really think life is hell. Life is a series of up's and downs. You take the rough with the smooth. :lotsofcliches:

What's going on in Northern Ireland

People seem to have this impression that Northern Ireland is still very much a troubled zone when really it's pretty calm here.

I am kind of surprised there is not a reaction to the Bono quote I put in at the beginning of the thread....:scratch:

Doesn't the scientific aspect of this count?

Alot of early church history is the political struggle over who was going to control the church. The emperors wanted to control it, the bishops wanted to control it, and there were numerous disputes over the whole thing. It got more complicated when the Pope crowned Charlemagne Holy Roman Emperor. At least one historian thinks that that was a huge mistake. Charlemagne flat out told the pope that the Emperor was supposed to run the church and the pope was supposed to stick to prayer. As late as 1870 there was a huge dispute between the Pope and the newly formed Italian government over the whole thing (Italy had just been politically united for the first time since the Roman Empire period). In 1929 they settled for making Vatican City a temporal state, complete with its own political apparatus, within the country of Italy.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
I am kind of surprised there is not a reaction to the Bono quote I put in at the beginning of the thread....:scratch:

Doesn't the scientific aspect of this count?

I love it!

The Big bang was of the perfect strength to cause the creation of the universe as we know it. Any stronger and the force of the explosion would have made the formation of matter impossible, the energy of the explosion would have continued outward in the form of radio waves. Any less powerful and the pull back to the center caused by gravity would have have instantly sucked everything blown out back into the tiny pinpointwhere it all started. That this occured has made possible the formation of all matter, in the form off gas - the substance of all stars, and all other substances liquids and solids, the threshhold for the existance of matter is so tiny that the existance of the universe is either the greatest fluke immaginable or the inevitable result of some creative influence. Gravity is a mysterious thing. There is not enough real matter to account for theapparent gravitational form that can be observed, influencing x-rays as they travel through the universe, we have invented a theoretical material called dark matter. A substance that has all of the properties of normal stuff, but is invisible. This dark matter is five times more common than natural visible matter.

It was fun to read the quote while flipping the book around in many directions - so thank you for writing it down. :D

I have 2 questions regarding it - Was it Bono, the Edge or someone else that wrote it? Edge gets credit for Maze of Words.

BostonAnne said:

I love it!

It was fun to read the quote while flipping the book around in many directions - so thank you for writing it down. :D

I have 2 questions regarding it - Was it Bono, the Edge or someone else that wrote it? Edge gets credit for Maze of Words.

i wish they told us who wrote it....and now looking at it, there is a difference in the penmanship....I think EDGE wrote it....

For those who do not know to what we are talking about, the limited edition of HTDAAB has a book with it....That is where my quote came from....the ass that I am assumed it was Bono

BostonAnne said:

:no: mistake anyone could make.

There are lots of FYM things to discuss in here from that book though. I absolutley LOVE it!

yes, there would be quite a few threads that could be started.....:yes:

Dreadsox said:
When I saw there was a Bono quote, I was hoping that it was going to explain the difference between God and religion. Instead, it really didn't interest me. Sorry, Bono.

Macfistowannabe said:
When I saw there was a Bono quote, I was hoping that it was going to explain the difference between God and religion. Instead, it really didn't interest me. Sorry, Bono.

Have you read this Macfistowannabe?

from this interview with Larry King that aired December 1, 2002:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0212/01/lklw.00.html

KING: You mentioned being Christian, and...

BONO: Trying to be.

KING: ... trying to be. Are you -- do you like organized religion? Are you a Catholic? Do you go to mass?

BONO: Who in Ireland could have too much respect for organized religion? We've seen it tear our country in two. My mother was a Protestant. My father was a Catholic. And I learned that religion is often the enemy of God, actually.

And religion is this sort of -- religion is the artifice, you know, the building, after God has left it sometimes, like Elvis has left the building. You hold onto religion, you know, rules, regulations, traditions. I think what God is interested in is people's hearts, and that's hard enough.

KING: So, especially in Ireland, you've seen it fail.

BONO: Yes, yes. And now, we're watching it around the world. We're watching what religion can do. And you know, I think it's anathema, and see -- religion takes ideas. Religion often reduces the size of God. God is so big. It's a gigantic concept in God. The idea that God might love us and be interested in us is kind of huge and gigantic, but we turn it, because we're small-minded, into this tiny, petty, often greedy version of God, that is religion.

KING: And so, we raise money in his name and go to war in his name.

BONO: Yes.

KING: If there is a God, he must be angry at a lot of this.

BONO: I think God is very angry at the moment, and I think there is -- I think it's shocking what is going on in the world. And I think it is an extraordinary moment.

Right now, I can tell you this. Our age will be remembered. This moment in time will be remembered for three things: the war against terror, sure; the Internet, probably; and how we let an entire continent, Africa, burst into flames and stood around with water in cans. This is not acceptable. It is not acceptable to let people die because they can't get the drugs that you and I take for granted. That means -- you have to ask very hard questions of ourselves if we're doing that.

KING: Why did we? For example, we would -- that wouldn't have happened in Europe. We wouldn't have let it happen in Europe.

BONO: Correct.

KING: OK. So, is it racial?

BONO: I think there's an element that people have written off in Africa.

KING: They're black.

BONO: And it's not even that they're black. I think deep down, if we really believe in equality, we would go to side of our brothers and sisters in Africa. What I would say is we don't really believe in equality. And -- I mean, equality is evolving, you know.

The idea that black people could vote here in the United States is relatively new, but women -- you know, it's like -- equality is like a pain in the ass if you think about it. It's like, you know, you think of these Jewish sheep herders walking in, in front of pharaohs, you know, with on their shoes, and the pharaoh is going, "You think you're equal to me?" And he looks in the book, and he goes, "Yes, that's what it says. All of us are created equal in God's image. That's what it says here." And it's like you're mad, you're out of your mind.

Well, it's true, and it's true, and we accept that now between our own borders. We accept that women and Jews and blacks and Irish are equal and have equal opportunities, but we don't really believe that for the rest of the world, because if we do, we would not be letting two-and-a-half million Africans die next year.

KING: There's no reason anyone in the world should be hungry, right?

BONO: Right.

KING: The means are there to...

BONO: That's right.

KING: ... produce it and deliver it.

BONO: That's right.

If people believe that God created the world we live in, how come these people don't take the environmental cause under their wing? I hate insular living.

foray

joerags said:
I used to believe in God,,,, until a few weeks ago.

There is no God. And Jesus never existed. The story of Jesus is a fictional story, told four different ways. Think about it. When Jesus was by himself or was with somebody and there was nobody around, how did anybody know what he said or did???

The early Christians were a cult, just like any other crazy cult nowadays. They propaganded this story about the Messiah coming down and doing all of these miracles. And the Romans thought these people were nuts, so they fed them to the lions in the Coloseum. Back then, people wanted to know if a Messiah will ever come down, and the early Christians fooled everybody and said that the Messiah did come down and did all these miracles. They were bullshitters..

If you ask any history professor, they will tell you that there is no proof that Jesus ever existed. There are no historical writings that mentioned Jesus.

There is no God. There is no heaven or hell. The Egyptions created this notion of a heaven and hell because they wanted to believe that there was an after-life.
There is no after-life. When you die, your existence is over. That's it. When you die, it's like when you were never born. Do you remember 100 years ago? No, because you didn't exist. Same thing happens when you die.

Adam and Eve never existed. We evolved from monkeys. Don't you guys remember the U2 Pop concert where they show the evolution of man from being a monkey to being a two-legged human?? Humans then furthered evolved based on climate and environement and other circumstances. That's why you have Asian people, black people, Spanish people, white people, ect...

There is no God. Wake up and smell the coffee..

Interesting. My roommate's copy of the Columbia History of the World asserts that Jesus existed, was crucified, and appeared to his disciples after his death. It describes these appearances as "visions", but it doesn't bother to try to discredit the resurrection.

MadelynIris said:

hogwash. There are.

Agreed. In Rome, in the year 93 AD, the secular Roman historian Flavius Josephus published his extensive history of the Jews. In discussing the period in which the Jews of Judaea were governed by the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate, Josephus included an account of Jesus of Nazareth's life and crucifiction.

There's a least two other historical accounts....not might sound like a lot but historians have taken less accounts to be proof of life for other historical figures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom