I cheated at school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uwwedoogie

Rock n' Roll Doggie
i cheated on my summer exam, there was alot of pressure on me, where id live the next few years of my life was on the line if i did bad... not proud of it but i was just worried

hmm...i dont like to cheat, but i have done it a few times. just things like asking people in periods before me what the hard questions on the test were, then looking up the answers. i also had science during lunch period, and we had lunch right in the middle of the class. we always discussed the answers at lunch and corrected them when we got back to finish the test.

the only time i cheated on a big test was on my geometry final. my friend was sitting next to me, and she nudged me and indicated that i had got number 91 or something wrong, and told me the answer. i looked at it and realized i had made a really stupid mistake. i felt bad changing it, but reasoned it was something i knew and just accidentally misread. plus i just couldnt bear to let something so stupid bring my grade down on such an important test.

:reject:

Meh, to each his own I guess.

I think the closest I've ever come to outright cheating was programming the Econ 221 and 222 forumlas into my graphing calculator. I still got my worst grades ever in that class though and for tests where they're super concerned w/ cheating, they'll take away your calculator and everything else. In fact, in most of my college courses there hasn't been an opportunity to cheat. You can bring your own paper to most of the essay exams, but it's writing essays so cheating would mean you'd have to somehow steal the essay questions from the Prof beforehand. On other tests, you're not allowed to use your own materials.

Just don't get caught! If we get caught cheating or plagarizing, it's an automatic failure of the ENTIRE COURSE (college policy). :ohmy:

I would never cheat because the feeling that I would get caught out worried me and when I went in to an exam I had always revised much better than I thought I had and the thought of trying to cheat never crossed my mind.

In uni there is no way you could cheat, you can't have anything on your desk but your student card, exam timetable and a pen. Yuo can't bring notes in or have a bag near you and the examiners are constantly walking about

So, fair enough you passed your exams now, are you taking your leaving cert exams next year? How do you cheat in those exams? It will only get you so far before you get caught or realise you can't cheat in a public exam and risk failing and have to move anyway. :shrug:

If you're really struggling can you not ask for help?

I cheated on an anthropology final. It was one of those classes you have to take and I was failing it. I was not going to let one class cause my GPA to drop which was a 3.6. So I cheated and got a C in the class. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Never did it again however because I was too scared.

uwwedoogie said:
parents said if i fail im moving to other parent ^

Wow, that's a lot of pressure, not that I condone cheating. Is there a reason why you felt you had to cheat to pass? Maybe a tutor is a better idea next time. That would help you out in the long run as well, b/c now what will you do when you take the next level of this kinda of class? Also, if you're still in HS, you don't want to get in the habit of cheating b/c it will NOT work when you get to uni/college. They will fail you for even TRYING to cheat.

uwwedoogie said:
^ i just didnt study...

Well, there ya go! Here I thought something terrible had happened or there was something on your mind...but just not studying? Come on now.... :tsk:

being able to come up with a way to cheat and not get caught is almost more impressive than studying and doing well :wink:

Chizip said:
being able to come up with a way to cheat and not get caught is almost more impressive than studying and doing well :wink:

indeed. and probably more applicable to real life.

i wouldnt beat yourself up about it. of course, dont get into the habit and study more next time. but it was probably some stupidass class that will make little impact on your life, whereas whether or not you passed the test *was* very important to your future.

maybe thats skewed logic, but thats the way i see it. :D

Chizip said:

Sometimes true! :D

However, in all honestly, I hate it when others cheat b/c it just seems really disrespectful to everyone who DID care and put in the time to study. I suppose if I found out a close friend who was in the same class as me had cheated on one of our exams, I'd be pretty pissed. Actually, I hate studying and don't really do it as much as most people would, but I usually get exactly what I deserve on my exams and that's fine w/ me.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Sometimes true! :D

However, in all honestly, I hate it when others cheat b/c it just seems really disrespectful to everyone who DID care and put in the time to study. I suppose if I found out a close friend who was in the same class as me had cheated on one of our exams, I'd be pretty pissed. Actually, I hate studying and don't really do it as much as most people would, but I usually get exactly what I deserve on my exams and that's fine w/ me.

true. i hardly ever cheat, but the few times i have, ive always justified it in my mind, and never lost any sleep over it.

but when i see other people cheat when im not cheating, well then i get real pissed off.

just like i dont mind bumming answers off others in a group project when im having a bad day, but when i see others doing the same to me when im actually putting work into it, i secretly get mad.

:shrug:

i just hate it when people cheat off me so i write wrong answers when i think people are and then i erase them.

StlElevation said:
i just hate it when people cheat off me so i write wrong answers when i think people are and then i erase them.

I let someone cheat off my test in Computer Apps in high school b/c he didn't know that everyone gets a different test. He copied my multiple choice answers and got everything wrong, hehe.

I just recently read a passage by a rather famous college professor (from Johns Hopkins) saying she would almost prefer people would cheat rather than regurgitate her material word for word because at least cheating exhibited some amount of ingenuity.

I wish I could cheat somehow...I'm currently doing my GCSEs (i'm a brit) and will be re-taking Maths next year in COLLEGE if I fail...!!! :| I don't like to think I'm lazy but I just CAN'T study!!! I don't know why....and now I'm gonna fail!!

uwwedoogie said:
i wrote the answers in the back of my notepad and basically flicked back and got them... i passed so it was worth it actually...

I haven't seen anyone else say it - you blew it.

This isn't about the act (who cares about cheating on a test). Its about character. You had a chance to be honest, strong, courageous, etc. and you took the easy cowardly way out.

Its not a critical blow, but don't just gloss over it. Do you really want to be that person?

I never cheated in school - not even when I was getting piss-poor grades in math that were bringing down my GPA. :mad: I did let people copy my homework once or twice, but inwardly I was really mad at them for being too lazy to do the work themselves. (They always claimed they "forgot" or something.) Looking back I wish I'd had the guts to refuse to give them the answers.

Bono's shades said:
I never cheated in school - not even when I was getting piss-poor grades in math that were bringing down my GPA. :mad: I did let people copy my homework once or twice, but inwardly I was really mad at them for being too lazy to do the work themselves. (They always claimed they "forgot" or something.) Looking back I wish I'd had the guts to refuse to give them the answers.

I had a friend who would copy off the home work me and another friend did. We'd do our work in a group of three, except she never knew how to do anything and just copied. My other friend and I got pissed, but then the first test came and the friend who copied didn't know how to work any of the problems and failed miserably. She eventually failed the entire class. I hate when people free-load, but I always keep in mind how it will eventually come full circle and bite them in the ass later on.

One time I cheated by writing the answers on the inside of my eyelids. I would simply close my eyes and see the answers. It was so sweet.

Back
Top Bottom