How original was Boy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roy

Refugee
I ask this question because my wife and I were given Franz Ferdinand & The Killers debut albums as presents this Christmas. While I think both sound good, they sound sooooo.. completely unoriginal to me. Did Boy have a unigue sound?

Last edited:
roy said:
I ask this question because my wife and I were given Franz Ferdinand & The Killers debut albums as presents this Christmas. While I think both sound good, they sound sooooo.. completely unoriginal to me. Did Boy have a unigue sound?

Hey Roy,

The style of music was not that original, but what made the songs stand out was Bono's vocals and the Edge's guitar. They are both very unique.

Boy was completely unique. Only Television had similar guitars ( harmonics especially)...

But Bono was a very unique singer from day 1.

Totally original.

In 1980 the airwaves (in the US at least) were saturated with Pat Benatar; Air Supply; The Bee Gees; Gary Numan's Cars; Kenny Rogers; The Commodores; Christopher Cross and Blondie.

Other than Blondie U2 was very original compared to those very bland artistes.

It may just be me, but nothing I have ever heard ever sounded remotely like U2. I have listened to tons of various music, and U2 is just so unique sounding. I know people say it is a combo of Larry's army-like style of drumming, Adam's use of the fat bass strings, Edge's chiming guitar, and Bono's voice, but to me, it is just U2. :shrug: Even with their various albums, I can always hear U2.

There is only one band I can say are similar to U2, though many may not have heard of them. They are a Christian band called Delirious. I often see them as the Christian version of U2 (even though 3/4 of U2 are Christians anyway, I think). They're singer has a unique voice that doesn't exactly sound like Bono's, but sort of touches you in the same way. It's hard to describe. Their latest album is definately worth checking out, if you're of the Christian persuasion (or even if not, many of their songs can be taken as well-crafted pop songs and nothing more).

I wasn't around when Boy came out, but I can't think of any of the music of the time that was like it. I only purchased it recently and love it, it has a punky edge to it without being punk, and is very dark in tone without being depressing. I think the coupling of Bono's lyrics and vocals with Edge's guitar (not to to disservice to the other members, though) is just a totally unique blend that is nothing like anything else in the music world.

Most older people I know that used to like U2 back in the day always said U2 sounded like no one else in the early 80's and that's why they liked them back then.

I was only 2 when Boy was released, so I cannot say from first-had experience whether U2 were completely original at the time....however, I have plenty of early 80's albums (since new wave music is my fave) and from day one, I've always considered Boy to be a very unique-sounding album - it stands apart IMO.

Back
Top Bottom