How I Met Your Mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got cautiously high hopes for this season, but the first episode was pretty poor. Ted's starting to border on crazy. The Robin-Barney cousins detour was some of the worst padding this show has ever done, saved for "you've piqued my incest". The Marshall storyline was meh. Highlights were Barney's "ring bear" and Wayne Brady's cameo.

What is disappointing me about this season is that it looks like they will take all or most of it to get to the wedding. I have been hoping for a long time that they would reveal the mother early, and spend most of this season catching up over the years to the narrators present day. That would be far more interesting to me than watching 24 episodes covering 55 hours until the wedding...

I had hope when we saw the mother last year that they would follow something like outlined above. This season is destined to flop if they keep going with the whole Lilly getting drunk, Ted and Barney fighting, Robyn being a man and Jason Segal's painfully conspicuous absences from the majority of the filming.

What is disappointing me about this season is that it looks like they will take all or most of it to get to the wedding. I have been hoping for a long time that they would reveal the mother early, and spend most of this season catching up over the years to the narrators present day. That would be far more interesting to me than watching 24 episodes covering 55 hours until the wedding...

I had hope when we saw the mother last year that they would follow something like outlined above. This season is destined to flop if they keep going with the whole Lilly getting drunk, Ted and Barney fighting, Robyn being a man and Jason Segal's painfully conspicuous absences from the majority of the filming.

Agree completely. the show has become a snoozefest. Even last season the only reason i watched was to see the future mother to be.... For the start of this season I was hoping for something better.

I think it's a horrible idea. Like the article said, I'm sure there will be flashbacks, but I don't like the sounds of an entire season just being 3 days long. We'll see, but when I heard about this, I groaned.

Quoting from the end of last season.

Yup, it's definitely horrible. I've only laughed once, at Lily's "thanks Linus (or whatever the dude's name is)" when she's handed another drink. This last episode was especially bad. I'll stick it out until the bitter end, but I have no hopes of this season being any good.

Well, I've finally caught up. First time I've ever watched an episode live. I loved it. It was so stupid at first, but by the end, I was laughing my ass off. Just disappointed the way they're wasting the mother. She seems like a great character, though a little too similar to Lily (which I find really strange, now that I think about it).

Anyways, no way in hell I'll be watching the spin off, so I'm savoring every last moment of this.

Wowwwwww so the latest episode was one of the very episodes the show has ever produced. Shades of season one and two in terms of being emotionally gripping and all the callbacks and coincidences in the storylines were just awesome.

Yeah, this show has struggled in recent years. But I'm now feeling pretty damn confident it's going to finish on a high.

I've never been so angry at a show and so happy with an ending at the same time, ever. This is going to take me some time to piece through.

EDIT: Ha, weird timing, Nam!

Everything having to do with Barney was bizarre, illogical and badly paced. His characterization was disastrous. Seriously, did someone from another planet take over his dialogue? He doesn't seem remotely like a human being anymore. He was a raging asshole in the last episode too, for no justifiable reason. The writing for his character has unraveled quickly.

The rest of the episode was pleasant, predictable, nice. It was funny, but 95% of the writing these days is centered on "a-ha!" moments instead of humor, despite this being a sitcom, so it was a little cruise control. Almost everything funny came from Marshall or Lily, which is par for the course these days.

It wasn't a lame cash-in on past glories, which was nice. But it did make me want to watch Slap Bet.

Last edited:
I've never been so angry at a show and so happy with an ending at the same time, ever. This is going to take me some time to piece through.

EDIT: Ha, weird timing, Nam!

lol, what are the odds :wink:

I disliked
Barney and Robin breaking up after so much being put into their relationship, I disliked the mother being killed off after the whole series leading up to Ted being with her, and I disliked Ted and Robin ending up together. I liked Ted and the mother being together briefly, I liked Marshall's lame jokes(always thought Segel was the funniest one on the show), and I liked Lily being so desperate for everyone to remain in each other's lives.

The ending of HIMYM can be summed up thusly:

so Ted finally met the mom and her name is Tracy, butunfortunatelyshediedofanillnessofsomekindaww but it's OK because TED AND ROBIN GOT TOGETHER YAY!!!!

:barf:

Last edited:
I mean,

I suspected for quite a while now that the mother was dead and that was very sad. I also always thought that somehow they were going to give the show the fairy tale ending of the two getting together...there was just so much thrown at it that last two years. But the idea of Ted and Robin being together means that the mother didn't matter. She was actually a roadblock on the path to Ted and Robin finally getting together. Actually, it's more nefarious, even, then that. Because, what it actually is is that she enabled them to get together. The only thing that ever kept the two apart was that Robin didn't want Kids. By getting married after Ted's kids were nearly grown and he was past that point in his life, they could finally be together under her terms. I mean, it gave me a momentary smile and a tear in my eye to see him out there with the french horn, but at the end of the day, this is all still part of Ted's sick obsesssions. The mother was never the one. She was just the one that Ted finally knocked up and tied the knot with. Robin was always the one. We just had to waste 9 years of our lives getting there.

I figure I missed a lot of stuff since I stopped watching, but would still be able to follow tonight's finale.

Ehhhhhh. I don't have anything to add to the negative things already said.

While I completely understand much of it is about the journey, not the destination, it still managed to feel like a cop-out. Or a cheat. Or something. Something bad.

If you skipped season 9 except for this episode, you really missed absolutely nothing. It wasn't a bad season, you just missed absolutely nothing.

That's not true, they did at least show a little bit of the future between Ted and

the woman he clearly didn't care about because his heart always belonged to Robin.

I really liked the mom. Honestly, she was probably the third funniest character on the show this season (behind Marshall and Lily; Barney has been a shadow of himself).

Her spinoff is going to suck ass though. The writers just aren't funny anymore.

Last edited:
in a way, it was like the mother was just that. the mother. i mean granted, like i said on facebook i stopped watching when lily had her kid so i haven't been watching since ted met tracy at all. just doing the math, clearly the two were married for...probably a decade? so i'm clearly just joking, lest anyone take me seriously that he just married her to have kids and that's it. i'm not seriously suggesting that.

i just don't get the whole killing her off and putting him with robin at the last moment. i love ted and robin, look back in this thread and you'll see so many posts of me saying that. but this was the dumbest way to put them together. and barney being a dad...and loving it? and a single dad, at that? dumbest idea ever.

not to mention the whole thing barney/robin thing in the first place. i assume in the previous episode they were perfectly fine? they seemed like it in the beginning of the episode. it just seems like suddenly the writers decided at one precise moment they were going to break them up and it was like a switch. one second they're normal barney and robin, the next second they're miserable. if they were going to write the split in, why didn't they spread it out over a couple episodes? it's the same with tracy's death. it's all so weird.

not to mention i just find it weird that everyone in the gang is bitching about how robin's never around, it's the reason her and barney divorce, yet suddenly at the end of the show she's apparently permanently in new york? her travelling all the time isn't mentioned at the end. it's been quite some time, sure, but you'd think she'd keep moving up in her field, which would require more travelling, not less. by that point she would've gone from i guess some kind of field corresponder to maybe an anderson cooper type or something. still plenty of travel involved. i'm sure it's one of those things we're just not supposed to think about, but it's just so weird.

my god, when they showed the clips at the end from the first season when they showed everyone's names? fuck, they all looked so young.

It pissed me off that he returned to his douche ways, and that the mother of his child never got a name or even one second of screen time.

"I love you little daughter! I'm suddenly magically nice and loving toward women because I have a daughter! I don't know your mom's name and I'll start saving now for your therapy bills!"

Back
Top Bottom