Has Elevation improved>>?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

innocent_eyes

Refugee
Love the tune, but only heard the opening night version...has it gotten any better? Anyone have an mp3 of a more recent version?? or at least share an opinion if it improved!

thanx

It's definitely gotten better.... the 'back and forth' of the 'whoo's" is the most interactive point of the night.

Definitely a highlight of the show, whether you like the song or not. I like the way they moved it up higher in the setlist, works better up high. Love the call and response of the "woo hoo's"!

I think this song rocks live.:drool:

the best way to improve upon Elevation for the Vertigo Tour (and any/all subsequent tours) is to can it, and throw it in the dust bin.

no offense, but hearing the Elevation song one time per concert is enough for me. so pick it, U2, either play Elevation part 1 ("Elevation") or Elevation part 2 ("Vertigo").

Elevation is not one of my favorite U2 songs, nowhere near the top 50. But it's very fun live. The band gets into it, the crowd gets into it and it makes for an energetic live experience. I was skeptical upon hearing the bootlegs (especially the first few shows where the song was very under-rehearsed). But I was won over when I finally saw them last week in Phoenix. It has greatly improved, the band is starting to nail it down.

its kinda lost its edge (not as in THE EDGE, as in like its impact has kinda diminished because of its new intro)

since it would be impossible for the to play it any worse than opening night- it has improved. now they need to realize they need to get rid of it, or at least play it like elevation tour. not a big fan of the song, but it was 100x better the old way they played it.

the only people who want to toss out Elevation are the people who haven't been to a show yet! the song is really high energy, even our boring Anaheim 1 crowd REALLY got into it when i watched the show, and it really was a highlight!

I agree. After seeing Elevation on the two bootleg DVD's, I think its awesome the way they have done it. It really gets the crowd into it, it must stay.

Okay, this is coming from someone who hates Elevation, thinks it sucks, is the worst song on ATYCLB, boring, etc.:

I was at night two in Denver - front row, in the elipse. Elevation was a lot of fun. Bono was teasing the crowd; all of us were doing the who-hoos and waiting for Larry and Adam to come crashing in. He told us that we had to be patient (and that boys need to learn how to wait!). It was a lot of fun and it made the continued existence of the song on the setlist justifiable. So while there are other songs I would have much rather heard, Elevation was actually a good moment for me.

my prediction is that this song will be played every night of the entire tour--I think the band loves the crowd participation, and the version they are doing really works--having said that, I think it is the worst song of the last album, and for me, I do not go to U2 concerts to hear catchy tunes, I go to be lifted of my feet by soaring numbers such as Bad, AIWIY, WOWY, Walk On, etc, all of which they are NOT playing (except Bad twice out of 12 shows).

Last edited:
God Part III said:
It's getting better, but there are a twenty songs I'd rather hear.

How about 200?

Answer to the thread question - yes, it has. :sad:
I find myself even rocking out to the San Jose 2 version...

ultraviolet353 said:
my prediction is that this song will be played every night of the entire tour--I think the band loves the crowd participation, and the version they are doing really works--having said that, I think it is the worst song of the last album, and for me, I do not go to U2 concerts to hear catchy tunes, I go to be lifted of my feet by soaring numbers such as Bad, AIWIY, WOWY, Walk On, etc, all of which they are NOT playing (except Bad twice out of 12 shows).

Well said!

Not one of my favorites, but I like hearing the beginning part and a few seconds after the band all join in.. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Also, I thought they way the did the Fly on the Elevation tour was sweet as heck, and could not sound better live.
However, I love the way this song starts on this tour. Love the long guitar before Larry comes in pounding and Adam slides in.

although its not my favorite tune, this is the best version of it. I like the intro with just edge and bono, and how the rest of the band kicks in during the second verse.

Good stuff. Now get rid of it for UTEOTW.

Elevation is a great live song, but WTF happened to those other kick ass songs there were rehearsing for 2 weeks.....Whose Gonna Ride your wild horses, Exit, Kite, Ultraviolet???
These songs would have been jaw dropping to hear and would have fit perfectly and alternated in every other setlist.

The lemon broke the last time they were in Norway, so I hope they play in on July 27. They rehearsed it didn't they?

I forgot the lemon broke with the band still inside.

LOL

But I agree with RademR, you guys might say that the crowd likes it, but the crowd will go bananas if they play Until The End Of The World (WHY BONO, WHY???!!! :mad: )

Elevation is a weak album track, but I think it's strong live. I don't blame them for keeping it in the setlist.

I'm really surprised UTEOTW hasn't surfaced yet. After they played it at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I assumed they were rehearsing it. I think it will make an appearance someday, should be interesting.

I like the latest version. I think it should be considered something to look forward to. Of course many of you would disagree, but I like a little headbanging here and there.

I've got bad news for the Elevation Haytahs after seeing my first show of this tour on 4/24:

Elevation kicks ass.

The crowd LOVES it. Great participation, even from the Johnny-come-latelys. It cranks the energy in the room up another notch. The new arrangement is very clever, and teases the tension just right.

I would never have picked it (and not because I hate it, because I don't) for this tour, but it's working.

And just for kicks, I'd suggest actually SEEING a show before getting too high and mighty about second guessing what they're doing. Yeah, they could always play just your favorite songs... but try absorbing the whole experience--with 20,000 others--and see what you think before picking it all apart.

Back
Top Bottom