Has Bono been working out his neck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyH

The Fly
Bono's neck looks huge on this tour--veins bulging and everything. I've heard that some singers do this for their vocal chords.
Has anybody else noticed this?
It doesn't look bad, he just looks more powerful.

Bonohulk? BONO SMASH!!!!!!

I actually have nothing to add other than that image that popped into my head when I read that. I haven't noticed his bulging ... uh ... neck.

bonohulk.png

Bono's neck looks huge on this tour--veins bulging and everything. I've heard that some singers do this for their vocal chords.

Get the latest video on how to build up your neck to hold up even the largest/heaviest meglomanical head.
For only 19.99 you too can have a neck like Bono.
(Disclaimer: only valid for rock stars or persons who can actually sing)
:wink:

I have no clue if you're being serious or not, but if so, where did you hear this?

Truth is that any lifting to work out the muscles around the neck is up there amongst the worse things you can do for your singing voice. The muscles can actually limit your vocal chords. The best "working out" for vocalists is cardio and abdominal muscles.

I doubt he has been "working out" his neck...but I've always thought Bono has a very strong, powerful looking neck...it's pretty clear in this video, for example:

YouTube - U2 - With Or Without You DVD (Live From Paris)

And I know I'll get attacked for this(at least I have in the past), but this is actually a sign of poor technique. I had this choir teacher back in the day who use to always use Bruce Springsteen as an example... she would say, "you know how you look at those pictures of Bruce in Rolling Stone and his veins are always popping out in his neck? That's what not to do. Breathe from the diaphram.", then she would proceed with her lesson. Which was interesting because she was actually a huge Bruce fan, but she always said he wouldn't make it in her casting call.

And I know I'll get attacked for this(at least I have in the past), but this is actually a sign of poor technique. I had this choir teacher back in the day who use to always use Bruce Springsteen as an example... she would say, "you know how you look at those pictures of Bruce in Rolling Stone and his veins are always popping out in his neck? That's what not to do. Breathe from the diaphram.", then she would proceed with her lesson. Which was interesting because she was actually a huge Bruce fan, but she always said he wouldn't make it in her casting call.

Bono of the 80s isn't renown for amazing singing technique.

If you work out like Bruce does I don't know how you'd be able to sing without your muscles and veins popping out everywhere. Not that I ever noticed that..

Bono doesn't work out like Bruce does so maybe he is just naturally gifted in the neck

We should be more worried about his belly than his kneck, i mean come on, that belly is pretty distracting on the broadcast lol.

Bono seems to be in decent shape over the first 2 legs....but he still needs to lose a decent amount for optimal performance...like zootv/elevation status....he looks so much better like that anyway...

I'm with ya, but choir is a different beast than pop/rock music.

They are different, but I think you can still sing rock while supporting from the diaphragm.

Look at all of the broadway musicals that incorporate rock-ish music (i.e., Rent, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc. All of those B'way stars are using more traditional singing techniques of supporting the voice with the breath and the diaphragm while generating a rock sound.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom