Happy U2 News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crzy4Bono

Refugee
Originally posted by doctorwho:
To shift topics to U2 for a bit...

Thanks for doing that!
smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

To shift topics to U2 for a bit...

Those of you who follow the U.S. Billboard charts may have noticed that U2's ATYCLB fell from the U.S. Billboard Top 100 a few weeks ago. It had remained in the U.S. Top 100 for 40 weeks, which was longer than both "Zooropa" and "POP."

Although it slipped from the Top 100, ATYCLB did not drop lower than #106, suggesting that any type of increased U2 activity (a tour, a new hit song, a U2 appearance) could bring the album back in the Top 100.

And indeed, this happened. U2's VMA appearance shot the album from #104 to #78. Last week's SoundScan data would suggest that at position #78, sales would be close to 19,000 copies. However, Billboard states that there was only a 19% increase in sales, which would put sales at a rather low 16,000 copies (low for position #78). SoundScan tracks activity from Monday through Sunday, so the WTC bombings wouldn't have had an effect on sales at this point. Therefore, I am more prone to believe last week's SoundScan data and estimate sales between 18-19,000 copies.

Either way, this puts ATYCLB back into the Top 100, which now celebrates 41 nonconsecutive weeks there. Also, sales have hit approached (or hit) the 2.82 million mark. It won't be long before ATYCLB is 3x Platinum in the U.S.

The VMA appearance helped more than ATYCLB. "The Best Of" surges from #17 to #5 on the Pop Catalog Billboard charts. This is the highest position the album has ever had on this chart. At #5, sales are approximately 11,000 copies.

Also, for those of you who think it is "easy" to sell out arenas, I encourage you to check this site. It lists the latest concert BoxScore grosses. Note that Janet Jackson, who had a #1 album, a #1 hit song and has a current Top 10 song, failed to sell-out any concerts! For example, in the three shows she had at Chicago's United Center, she sold 31,795 tickets out of a possible 42,219. And this was at the end of July, when summer was in full swing! This, to me, proves that even hot artists or other long-time artists cannot sell out arenas, much less stadiums. For U2 to sell out every single arena (stadium) show is indeed very impressive. Clearly, this is U2's year!

Thanks for the great info doctorwho! Isn't this awesome?!?! To see the album bounce back like that just confirms the power of U2's performance at the VMA's.

The next leg of the tour should be ridiculously tough to get tickets to. When many of the 1st leg shows went on sale, BD hadn't even won it's Grammy's yet! Since that time I feel U2 has gotten bigger and bigger, and this next leg should be sweet.

Can anyone confirm that ATYCLB has been on the charts longer than Pop? I'm sure it has, but just wondering...does anyone have a chart tracker that shows how the past few albums have done, week to week, on the charts?

In other "happy" U2 news...

Last night I saw the U.S. version of the "Stuck..." video played at 8:30 p.m. on MTV (Boston time). I was thrilled to see U2 played during prime-time.

I credit the prime-time playing of this video to several reasons:
  • U2's recent VMA performance;
  • U2's winning the Vanguard Award;
  • This is U2's new song;
  • The theme of the song fits in with the mood of the country;
  • People voting for U2 on TRL.

That last point, about voting for U2 on TRL, may be a significant one. Before this horrible tragedy happened, our beloved computer wizard, KevM, created a nice way of voting for "Stuck..." on TRL. Please go here to see the thread discussing how to do this. Essentially, one downloads a small program KevM created and lets it run. In a matter of moments, hundreds of votes will be cast for U2's "Stuck..." on TRL.

This might not get "Stuck..." actually on TRL, but it will encourage MTV to play "Stuck..." especially during prime-time hours.

Voting for U2 here may seem a selfish thing to do in view of what has happened. However, U2's ATYCLB has so many songs that seem to perfectly reflect our thoughts and moods. If these songs can provide someone with a moment of comfort, then I feel we are providing a service.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-14-2001).]

LOL thanks for that link. I'm running the autovoter this morning.

Wouldn't MTV be thrilled to know that the 10,250 votes they got for Stuck to appear on TRL came from a 39-year-old mini-van driving mother of two? LOL!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
LOL thanks for that link. I'm running the autovoter this morning.

Wouldn't MTV be thrilled to know that the 10,250 votes they got for Stuck to appear on TRL came from a 39-year-old mini-van driving mother of two? LOL!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

LOL! I let my program go all day at home. Although I have DSL, sometimes I am still disconnected. Assuming my connection remains going all day, I can only guess I'll have 5-10,000 votes myself.
biggrin.gif

"Stuck..." is such a great song (I'm amazed at how much it has grown on me) and it really fits the mood now. Therefore, I encourage others to download KevM's program and start voting for "Stuck...". It deserves to be played, more than just for U2, but for the people who could really benefit from this song in this time of need.

Have you voted for "Stuck..." on MTV's TRL yet? If not, do so automatically by downloading KevM's program in a thread discussed here. Essentially, one downloads a small program KevM created and lets it run. In a matter of moments, hundreds of votes will be cast for U2's "Stuck..." on TRL. I've cast over 8,000 votes today alone!
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom