Happy Birthday ATYCLB!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Birthday ATYCLB! :applaud:

You contain some of the BEST songs that u2 have ever written - "Walk On", "Kite", "Stuck..." and some of U2's most memorable performance songs - "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation".

And you gave us two personal favorites - "Grace" and Joey Ramones' last heard song on earth "In a Little While". :hug:

All in all, a REALLY GREAT ALBUM.

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! :larry: :adam: :edge: :bono: :love:

Jack In The Box said:
my first U2 album :up:

Mine too, but my least favourite except for War, sorry to say.

I think there are good sounds in there, but take Pop, it's got much more diversity, and it's much more raw.

Even if Beautiful Day is on it...

My first new U2 album too...going backwards through their catalog sent me through a loop, especially when I listened to Zooropa for the first time (no pun intended :wink: ).

ATYCLB is the ultimate hangover U2 album, bar none. This morning proved it to me yet again. "In a Little While" rang through my ears all day after stumbling around all last night and landing upside down behind a couch with a 5 foot tall talking Homer Simpson doll...anyways

Happy B-Day ATYCLB!!! I remember when I first listened to ya (teardrop). You've aged well despite all your scratches and have survived countless rounds in the Skip Doctor.

Last edited:
what a bomb! said:
cannot believe someone actually remembers a release date! you got too much time on your hands! lol :)

Actually not too hard to remember. Came out on Halloween. Trying to listen to it at work with all the festivities going on.

I remember being really pissed off that the album went to number 1, because it beat out some act I was really into at the time. I really didn't like U2 back then, and hated Beautiful Day, so was having a real rant to my friend about how Bono should just retire as he was so past it.
*cringes at the stupidity of 12 year old self*

I remember being pissed that it DIDN'T go to number 1 (i'm in the US). I don't remember a single thing other than that album that was on the charts, though.

beau2ifulday said:
I remember being really pissed off that the album went to number 1, because it beat out some act I was really into at the time. I really didn't like U2 back then, and hated Beautiful Day, so was having a real rant to my friend about how Bono should just retire as he was so past it.
*cringes at the stupidity of 12 year old self*

:shocked: :shame: :wink:

love this album. respect is less than others, but this is an album for the heart.

i bought it in Krakow, Poland (am from the US). was living in brussels at the time, and had a week to go off and explore. i knew the album was coming out, so i made sure to bring my discman with me. i remember waking up the morning it came out, excited because i was in europe and they get the album a day before the States, and ran out of my hotel to but it. i left the polish price sticker on it for posterity.

the next 50 minutes were amazing. i wandered the streets of Krakow (one of the most amazing cities i have ever seen ... so glad it survived WW2 intact) with the album on my headphones. i remember the rush of good feelings, the rush that U2 were indeed back, at two specific moments: the end of the first chorus in "stuck" when you hear the voices, just before LMJ kicks back in, and the opening chords of "walk on." it was strange, like you had heard it before even though it was the first time you had ever known it. i think "stuck," in particular, has one of those great, timeless melodies on loan from somewhere else, with bono as some sort of conduit between that other place and my ears.

that album carried me through a very dark year, dealing with just graduating from college, a very rainy european winter, lots of heavy personal issues to deal with, walking to work in a cold belgian rain at 7:30am on a dark tuesday in february ... i think i've bonded with that album in a way that i haven't with others. i am convinced that bono wrote "kite" to and for me, he just doesn't know it yet :wink:

while "achtung baby" is my favorite thing -- and there are lots of things in this world -- ATYCLB is my sentimental favorite. it's their speilberg allbum, lots of emotion, maybe a bit too contrived (manipulative?), but come gather round the campfire and sing along.

and then it became a different thing altogether after 9-11.

Before I was a real u2 fan it was released, and it would have been on my 15th birthday.....

Great album though, i ot it about 5 months ago and Beautiful Day, Kite and Walk On are stand outs....

:bow: Irvine511...great post! I'm glad you could relate your experience with us. Your comment about ATYCLB being your sentimental favorite is shared...AB is my fav but days like today help put ATYCLB back on top for 'a little while'.

I feel the album lifts you up and puts you back on the ground sometimes from track to track, even within the same song, and it makes for a more realistic journey (less metaphorical then AB). On a related note, I think I realized that since Zooropa, U2 have accepted the use of everyday language where you hear common everyday modern objects, places, names, events in the lyrics more and more. In the past, there were more similes and pronouns to let you define the song for yourself. Then you have songs like 'New York' that takes you right through the city and doesn't let you escape the lyrics too easily. Take that for whatever it's worth.

And you also said that it has a timeless sound to it, like you heard the album before even on the first listen- I love that feeling and there were definitely several moments like that.

YAY!! I remeber when ATYCLB came out i went out on my lunch to buy it at HMV...hehe
Then went home and listened to it all night long while giving candy to the tricker treaters...i also remeber loving Elevation and listening to that song 50 times...and saying to my mom how good its gonna be live..hehe
Songs that mean the most to me are...Stuck...especailly live!
Elevation...rocks!....Beautiful Day.....Walk on <.... that song got me through a rough time... In a little while <...underplayed song i found and a good one.
Anyhoo Happy Birthday :bow: ATYCLB!!!!
:applaud:

Wow! It's hard to believe that it's already been four years since ATYCLB saved U2 from career meltdown after the disappointment of POP.

Cheers,

J

mofo82 said:
:
And you also said that it has a timeless sound to it, like you heard the album before even on the first listen- I love that feeling and there were definitely several moments like that.

absolutely! i think that's both the album's strong point and it's weak point -- there isn't much adventure, i didn't have to deal with the discomfort i felt when i first heard "mofo" (that 747-guitar) or "lemon" (all that preening falsetto) it felt good, but i'm pleased that the album has retained it's power, at least for me, but as i said, the album and i are tight.

timeless moments on ATYCLB:

the voices on "stuck" and the whole damn melody ... i don't care if it could be covered by N-Sync, if you can't find pleasure in this song you probably kiss with your mouth closed!

opening chords of "walk on" ... my knowledge of musical terms is lacking, but the few seconds just after "that's where the hurt is..."

"man dreams one day to fly ..." in IALW ... a friend of mine and fellow U2 freak literally gasped and said something to the effect of: "it's the best music i've ever heard ... i can't believe they wrote that!"

edge's anti-solo solo in "kite"

the end of BD -- "what you don't have you don't need it" -- i challenge anyone to find a more viscerally exciting moment in all of U2's catalogue.

yeah, love the album. falls apart at the end, with POE a bit too much, NY a better idea than song, and "grace" likewise too much ("the name for a girl" ... ewwww, he's much better than that). i like WILATW very much, though.

one last thought: i hear lots of people slagging off the lyrics for "elevation." i think they're the best on the album. the song summarized in a sentence: sex as epiphany, or, sex as means to access the spiritual.

that's what bono means by a "mole digging in a hole/ digging up my soul." through sex, we can find salvation and reconcile things that only appear to be opposites: sex and god, flesh and spirit (see the Flanagan book ... Prince writes about this too).

i should get back to work.

Back
Top Bottom