GRRR!! Look what Eric Clapton said about U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im sorry but the whole group only attends 1 award thign a year max.

Its actually very rare for the whole band to go to all these awards cermomonies ( sp ). im drunk.

Galeongirl said:
"From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and
U2."

HAH finally somebody else who can hear that coldplay is influenced by U2.. TAKE THAT CHRIS MARTIN :madspit:

:tsk: why is it so that if celebs don't have sucess anymore, they start to bash others who do have success?
jealousy is a bitch!

I fully agree on so many levels. However, to Martin's credit, he openly admits his heavy U2 influence.

But it's true, Coldplay is like "U2 light". Is that U2's fault?

If all U2 do is attend award shows, then how are they selling 3 or 4 million albums in the U.S.? How are they touring across the world? How is Bono helping Africa? How is Edge helping New Orleans? In fact, why would U2 even win awards if they weren't producing new music?

U2 is clearly a heavy influence on newer bands. I hear them in The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, Coldplay (of course) and on and on and on! But there's a reason U2 has such influence - it's the same reason Clapton has such influence.

Clapton's comments remind me of George Harrison's comments back in 1997. Harrison compared U2 to the Spice Girls and how they won't be remembered in 30 years. If this were 1987, when U2 first truly hit it big, then maybe Harrison's comments had some merit, even if they were off the mark. However, by 1997, U2 had already established themselves as a premiere band - even if "Pop" wasn't as big as many hoped.

Now, in 2006, U2 are outright legends. Their last two studio albums sold over 7.2M copies just in the U.S. Precious few artists can say that. U2 had the top tour last year. They are an established act that has been around for over 25 years. Heck, they are in the frickin' Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! So I'm not sure I get what Clapton's comments mean here. Does he feel U2 aren't aggressive enough any more? Fair enough. I don't agree, but at least say it that way. Don't compare U2 to American Idol kids or the Spice Girls! It's like comparing Slash, in 1989, to Clapton.

Bottom line, Clapton was a star. His music now is boring. He may still be a brilliant guitarist, but I'm not hearing it in his songs any more. Still, that's no reason to attack another legend. What's next? Paul McCartney? Elton John? The Stones?

Silly people...

Worse, while I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay or the American Idol kids, I'd far rather have them than listen to yet another R&B/rap collaboration project that now all sound the same. At least the AI kids can sing and at least Coldplay plays their own instruments and writes their own songs. That sure is a step up from sampling everything you can and rapping a retreaded story over it.

Speaking of which, this was scanned for me from a Canadian newspaper last August (disregard the black smudge in the middle, that's just covering up the spot where the two pieces of paper overlap):

Clapton is a great musician, a legend. U2 have actually gained a lot of relevency during recent years. It's a shame Clapton had to make this public statement. It looks bad for him.

ok.. if he is so based in the roots of the blues( his music) where was he after hurricane katrina?? He should be down there joining the Edge in getting those musicians their instruments back thru charity like MusicRising.:madspit: :mad:

touche Amy! I saw this story this morning and wanted to give Clapton a :madwife: He's a legend, yes, but so are U2, and they are far more active socially than Clapton ever will be. Who's resting on their laurels :eyebrow:

:hug: Amy!

WalkOn21 said:
Well he's right at one point: the public does seem to think their fame's more important than their music.
Did you take a poll?
WalkOn21 said:

Didn't Bono do a speech at the Democratic Convention while Kerry was running for president? And did he sing anything? No he didn't, he was just there "to be the famous person" backing Kerry.
Um, this never happened.:huh: But nice try...

I don't understand why we get so worked up over what other people think of U2. A lot of people out there either don't get what U2 does or just plain don't like it. It is what it is. It doesn't mean those people are assholes. Clapton is a legend, so let's not try and call him a nobody simply because we don't like his opinion on U2. People can think and say things we don't like and still be good people.

Moving on...

Cocaine! Yea. Now there's an inspiring message for the masses (note the sarcasm). I can't believe he still belts out that B.S. tune on every tour. If that's the "roots" of music then, "I'm gonna buy me a nice sharp axe....and chop you down like an old dead tree". (Credit those lyrics to "Dirty Old Town"...I've been listening to the Pogues lately...love that song.)

Diemen said:
I don't understand why we get so worked up over what other people think of U2. A lot of people out there either don't get what U2 does or just plain don't like it. It is what it is. It doesn't mean those people are assholes. Clapton is a legend, so let's not try and call him a nobody simply because we don't like his opinion on U2. People can think and say things we don't like and still be good people.

Moving on...

I don't think anyone's calling Clapton a "nobody." I think that if you look at most of the posts, most people are saying that Clapton is claiming U2 are not creative & not connected to music, while he himself has not been very creative at all over the last dozen years. Most people seem to be acknowledging that he's a legend, but also recognizing that he hasn't been so earth-shatteringly innovative over the past few years, all while deriding others for that same fault.

Pretty lame when the pot calls the kettle black, no matter how much of a legend the pot is. :shrug:

Last edited:
WalkOn21 said:
Well he's right at one point: the public does seem to think their fame's more important than their music. Didn't Bono do a speech at the Democratic Convention while Kerry was running for president? And did he sing anything? No he didn't, he was just there "to be the famous person" backing Kerry.

um...no.

He might have been at the Democratic Convention to talk about the Africa thing, but if he was he also went to the Republican Convention. I don't very well remember. But he definitely never officially backed Kerry, and I'm almost positive he didn't give a speech at either convention. What I think he may have done was be on a news show during the convention - again, about DATA and Africa and all that. Not endorsing candidates.

as for Clapton, well, as Aygo said he can join the bunch, there are plenty of people that talk shit about U2.

Utoo said:

I don't think anyone's calling Clapton a "nobody." I think that if you look at most of the posts, most people are saying that Clapton is claiming U2 are not creative & not connected to music, while he himself has not been very creative at all over the last dozen years. Most people seem to be acknowledging that he's a legend, but also recognizing that he hasn't been so earth-shatteringly innovative over the past few years, all while deriding others for that same fault.

Well said! :up:

KhanadaRhodes said:
wait, so this means i'm not supposed to like him anymore, right?

Right. Anyone who says anything bad about U2 is a heathen who must be tarred and feathered and then shunned and called a nobody.

This thread just made me laugh. I doubt anyone here would say they can't look at another person the same way again just because they make an unflattering comment about your favourite sport or fruit or television show, so why are some people getting so up in arms about someone (pretty mildly) criticising their favourite band? It's not like he said anything wildly stupid like "U2 are a lame, unimportant three-note band".

Axver said:
I doubt anyone here would say they can't look at another person the same way again just because they make an unflattering comment about your favourite [...] fruit

Hey, don't go dissin' the kumquat, man!

:wink:

Bono's shades said:
Actually, Eric Clapton was one of my first musical heroes. The problem is he stopped doing anything remotely interesting a long time ago.

Same here. Loved the guy. The last great thing he did was the Unplugged version of Layla in 1992. His '94 blues album was cool as a move into blues for him, but it was all remakes of old songs. Since '94, he's been stuck on the blues. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't really give him any leeway to knock others for their work. :shrug:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Eric Clapton hits out at Coldplay and U2
Wednesday, May 17 2006, 14:48 BST - by Fiona Edwards

Eric Clapton....told The Times: "...Coldplay and U2...are really
people who just attend awards shows.

:scratch: :confused:
Does this man not have television in his home? Does he not take the papers or subscribe to any type of news magazine? Is he currently living in a cave in Outer Mongolia with no connection to the outside world?

These are the only theories I can imagine to sustain such a statement. Hell, hardly a day goes by that there isn't some type of Bono sighting someone in the world as he stumps for his causes.

Mr. Clapton has greatly contributed to the world of music - and even if he hadn't he'd be entitled to his opinion. But if he really thinks U2 '...just attend awards shows.' then I can only surmise it's because that's all Mr. Clapton watches anymore. Looking for his own name, perhaps? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Oh dear. Eric Clapton said something bad about U2. :( I'm going to go down to the shops and burn all his records because he is a Very Bad Man! :( :( :(

Why do people get so worked up about this stuff? Come on. There are far worse things to vent your frustration at.

People do you have any comments before , any , from any time , by Clapton bout U2 ? BTW same here , wont stop liking the guy , better the guitarrist just coz , he's not as good with the mouth as with the hands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom