Grrr.... can anyone believe this man's audacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what an asshole! and he doesn't even really knows what Bono is campainging for!!!! Bono is NOT campainging to get the africans more donations, he campains to relieve their debt! THAT IS DIFFERENT! oh and also, Bono is not saying more money works, he KNOWS and says that the corrupt governments are the problem! so what is this dude trying to say???? get a life!

p.s. Irish rock star in a cowboy hat? yes please!

While everyone has a right to voice opinions even if they are a bit misguided. This writer is the latest in the long time bashing of Bono and his efforts. I started a thread a long time back where I posed the question why is it so popular to slam this guy? Most of the responses were of the same mind of my own. And I still don't "get it".

Let's just say that this writer is correct stating that Bono's efforts are in vain and completely misguided. It's not like he's harming the world or committing any crimes or wasting any one's time except his own. Why blast the guy for at least trying? He's not out breaking any laws or committing crimes so he can't be idolized by the liberal press. He's not doing those things that would make him infamous like many of his counterparts in the Rap world, so that somehow makes him a pompous over bearing Rock Star? Let's give him his come uppance because he hasn't been shot or shot at. The way this country (USA) looks at celebrity is so way out of context it isn't even funny, IMHO.

By the way, also IMHO. His work away from the band IMHO has showed in the lst two albums with many weak lyrics. I think that has been most sacrificed for his causes. I think it's time for him to start paying a bit more attention to what has made U2 so great and provided him the voice to fight for the millions suffering in Africa.

*steps down from soap box and walks away from podium*

*clamps hand over mouth*
*eye twitches*
*finds 'Hit List' and adds Paul Theroux*

OK... I'm calm. I won't get angry over a fucking moron like him. OK, I'm not calm.

DO YER FECKIN' RESEARCH!

Can no one do any good in this world anymore? People try to help but they get slammed because they're not doing it in the right way?

Last edited:
There's always going to be someone slamming Bono. Obviously this guy doesn't have a clue about what Bono's doing and how he's doing it. Bono is trying to help. As for this guy, all he's doing is running his mouth.

yeah, also like when people don't like u2, they allways bash Bono! cmon, what did he ever do to you?? He's short, ok, but that's not a reason to pick him! leave him alone, he's doing a whole much better for the world than you are so stfu and FOAD!

This guy CLEARLY does not understand the whole of Bono's goal.

The goal IS (soul?!) to educate.

The goal IS to hold accountable.

It's a shame that this 'writer' has pulled a Dan Rather.

And if the NY Times is willing to print this 'essay,' *that* says enough . . .

*shrugs* He makes some fair comments. I did have some similar views myself, not necessarily involving Bono, but the whole concept in general.

It looks to me as though what he's doing here is pointing out one of the faults of the whole campaign, and he's just using Bono as the figurehead, even if he's not the one orchestrating these methods. I mean, nobody can deny that Bono makes a very good-looking figurehead...

Perhaps somebody should just warn him not to mention Bono in the future, if he has even the slightest hint of a negative argument in mind. It never gets accepted very well... But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and the writer is exercising just that.

I'm confused. Did I miss something or is the article really THAT short? Anyway, too bad this guy doesn't realize he and Bono are on the same track: education. What has Bono always said the solution to the problem is? - education, clean water, health care. I don't want to write this guy off completely b/c I want to think he's more intelligent that the article is making him out to be, but seriously, it sounds as though he's not even aware of the basics of ONE and DATA.

there was an article in my SCHOOL newspaper "Bono spews trite, annoying propaganda"

:mad: the girl who wrote it is complaining because she spent "an absurd amount of money" to see them and Bono started lecturing her and that's not why she went to the show :tsk: :mad:

first of all, you have to expect that if you are going to a U2 show Bono is going to talk about SOMETHING, he's not just going to sing the songs and he's always been like that.

:silent: I'm writing a letter to the damn editors :lmao:

Storm/Light said:
I believe I was referring to the writer's point about there being a whole lot of shouting involved, and little else.

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that, though?

That little else has been done aside from "shouting?"

Because that's just not true.

What about the anti-viral drugs that are NOW being distributed because the funds are there . . . and the funds and the drugs were nowhere to be found last year?

That's ONE example . . .

Storm/Light said:
I believe I was referring to the writer's point about there being a whole lot of shouting involved, and little else.

b/c the American general public doesn't feel the issue is important enough to to reflected on our voting ballots :shrug:

Like I said the quotes of the writer's opinions confuse me b/c the whole story's not there. I'd like to know what the writer's proposed solution would be.....

Well, after reading the article in full, here are some thoughts . . .

Theroux writes, "But the impression that Africa is fatally troubled and can be saved only by outside help - not to mention celebrities and charity concerts - is a destructive and misleading conceit." It seems to me that Live 8 is, once again, being misunderstood as some kind of charity concert. While Live Aid was, lessons were learned from that experience. Live 8 was also not about "awareness" alone, as so many have perceived. It was about awareness to combine itself with ACTION.

Theroux's above statement is basically saying that 'outsiders' who try to help are just arrogant Obi-Wan types who think they're Africa's only hope. That's absurd. BUT why should PRIDE force outsiders NOT to help? I mean, it's one or the other. Either the helpers are arrogant or those resisting help are prideful, right? If outsiders can call attention to the matter on a GLOBAL scale, which would help place the governments/dictators of the African countries more in the spotlight to a watching world, what's wrong with that?? It's "conceited" to try to help those in need? That is just rubbish.

Theroux also seems steeped in the understanding of Bono's activism to be rooted nearly solely in the "more money" platform. This could not be further from the truth. The less debt/more aid is meant to be a springboard for the African countries to become more self-sufficient. Fairer trade would help that. The irony of all of this is that current AID and HELP from the outside is HURTING the African farming community. And that aspect is part of Bono's perspective on this. Theroux somehow completely misses this. Why? Because he doesn't fully understand Bono's ideas/goals. And to write about them before fully understanding them is irresponsible journalism. Have an opinion AFTER you have the FACTS IN FULL, is what I ask.

Theroux also writes, "Bono . . . not only believes he has the solution to Africa's ills, he is also shouting so loudly that other people seem to mistrust his answers." Funny, though, he never backs this up with ONE SINGLE example. He mentions Bono's trip with former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, but it's as if he doesn't even realize or want to accept the IMPACT the trip with Bono had on O'Neill's view on the situations in Africa. O'Neill was very affected by this trip. And I'm sure he attended a U2 concert this year because he'd lost all respect for a man who shouts without much to say, right? Theroux also mentions the lunch Bono had with Bush at the White House. But he did NOT mention the increase in medical aid that Africa has seen as a DIRECT RESULT of Bush's taking Bono and this cause, overall, very seriously. No mention of that, though. Funny. Let's go on. No mention either of Jesse Helms' 180 degree turn on the issue. A man with a segregationalist past and with specific comments to make on World AIDS Day WEPT as his ideas were changed on this issue. Now, there is a friendship between 2 unlikely men. Time after time, we have read about the politicians who were skeptics who agreed to meet with Bono, perhaps to pacify him, but were floored by his level of understanding and his grasp on this issue. They expected less. That was their mistake.

I am not saying that Theroux hasn't a point at all.
Africa DOES need to move toward more self-sufficience in order to be successful. But THAT is what Bono is saying, ultimately. Theroux has taken the steps along the way as the final destination, and that is NOT the case. Self-sufficience is a huge part of the goal for DATA . . . and education . . . and accountability.

Know what I would LOVE? I'd love to see Bono and Theroux meet. They could have a great exchange, I'm sure - - each would probably enjoy it. And learn from each other, I'm sure.

It's just a shame that someone who doesn't totally understand the goals of DATA is taking such a pin-pointed look at a path whose big picture must be understood IN the details along the way.

Last night on the Live8 documentary Bono was saying how Americans have no idea what G8 is and don't really care. Not meaning you guys on here, obviously, but guys along those lines, who don't understand and need someone to yell a bit louder to get the message across. He's in a unique position to communicate with millions who actually respect him and will listen to what he says more than any writer or politician.

bottom line is, Bono isn't doing anything WRONG, or encouraging anything WRONG; he isn't doing any vices. he is merely trying to help those in need and encouraging all those who are able, to do so too, not because it makes them look good and generous or anything but because it is the natural thing to do; if someone else around has what u don't, out of the goodness of your heart, you try to help them out. i really don't think he needs all this negativity from this journalist.

this is what i wrote to the ny times

Please, if at all possible, forward this to Mr. Paul
Theroux who has recently writen an article for your paper called “The Rock Star's Burden”. if not possible i suggest that you make sure your writers know, absolutely, what they are talking about before publishing their articles.

I realize Mr. Theroux that you have, personally, spent time in Malawi and that you probably understand a great depth more than I ( a 17 year old girl from Southern California) but what I think I can help you with is your understanding of Mr. Jellyby’s (Bono’s) work for Africa. I was very deeply disappointed and saddened when I read your article to find that you might not have all your facts together. I don’t know where to begin. How about here: your worry about the money going strait into corrupt leaders' Swiss bank accounts. Here is my response: Mr. Jellyby also realizes that this is the #1 problem facing Africa. That is why he and Bobby Shriver started a organizations called
DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) what you might not realize is that they set this up so that the acronym also works for Americans worried about corruption never letting Africans see this money freed up by debt relief. Get this; Democracy, Accountability, Transparency, America. This is done and closely watched Sir. African countries must be open to Civil Society in order to receive debt relief (meaning that the government must cooperate with a system that in each village Africans are able to see the money they should be getting and where it is going.) Now that last part also ruptures the whole “give a man a fish” argument as well doesn’t it?

Oh now I remember… this is a quote from your article; “not to mention celebrities and charity concerts - is a destructive and misleading conceit”. If you are talking about the recent Live 8 festivities, which I am certain you are, that was not a charity concert. To attend one of the concerts admission was free. The goal was to get people to log on to www.one.org and sign their name to the One campaign to Make Poverty History leading up to the G-8 summit. Letting their leaders know that they would like more attention (and yes aid included) paid to Africa. To commit a mere 0.7% to fighting global AIDS. So what good did that campaign do, you ask? Well Gee Wiz, it got about a half a million Africans on a regiment of Anti-retroviral drugs. It got 36 countries relived of their Debt, 8 million anti malaria mosquito nets, and millions of TB vaccinations for pennies a piece... SO FAR.
How could you say that debt relief is not a step in the right direction? Are you aware that before cancelled debts that a country like Uganda spent $13 dollars a day each citizen for paying back old debts and only $0.75 a day for health care and education combined. So I ask you how many more children are going to be educated now. Education for these kids was the whole motivation behind the Jubilee 2000 Drop the Debt campaign that Bono started with Bill Clinton.

None of these organizations or campaigns, they never ever asked for individual charity. They only asked for our voices.

i could go on but I have come down with a cold and my mother has just made me some chicken noodle soup. If you would like me to, I have hours of video tape of bono’s countless appearances on shows like Meet the Press, oprah, the Diary of Bono and Paul O’Neil’s trip to Africa, news coverage of countless humanitarian awards Mr. Jellyby has received, press conferences for the One campaign, Larry King live, his interview with Bill O’Rielly, coverage on meetings with George Bush, Jesse Helms, the Pope, Paul Martin, the times he has had a seat on the World Economics forum….

It would be quite possible for me to send these to you. I have personally seen these things change the cynics’ point of view about Bono’s work. In your spare time please visit these sites

www.Data.org

www.one.org

Thank you for your time,

Jessica Romero

got2k9s,
you should send what you wrote as well. it's better than mine. go to the NY times website and at the bottom it says contact us. just ask them if they could forward it to this guy.

if anyone finds info on how to contact the author of the article, Mr. Paul Theroux please shar the info.

hahaha i think bono likes it when people challange him. but the sad thing is that half the people who read this irrisponsible journalism won't get to hear a rebutle. therefor making Mr. theroux a hypocrite for saying that people just accept what bono says without any further research. but then again no one will ever realize that either.

zooperson said:
got2k9s,
you should send what you wrote as well. it's better than mine. go to the NY times website and at the bottom it says contact us. just ask them if they could forward it to this guy.

Thanks for the info. zooperson.

I think your letter was fantastic!! Glad you sent it!

I found out about this article from a Peace Corps friend last Friday nite.

People really how no idea about what Bono is trying to do.

the only good thing about this Paul guy is that he was in the Peace Corps well so was I. :wink:

(this article has been discussed in another forum)

sigh, I wish people would know exactly what Bono is doing and how educated on the subject he is before bashing him.

OMG I just read...This guy wrote another article recently talking about the tour etc. and got so many things wrong...But I emailed him and set it straight .

Apparently if everyone thought like this nit wit, the world would be in trouble.

Plus he is probably jealous that he isn't like the other "Paul". :drool:

Back
Top Bottom