GOYB on Itunes Monday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

The Fly
(Moderators feel free to merge if needed):

It's probably an error but...(or by discussing this here it could change!:huh:)

Here is a communique from Universal Music Canada that was forwarded to me by a news media website (when I noticed their article on the date, I was puzzled and sent them an email), Showbizz.net :

"U2 UPDATE:

NEW SINGLE “GET ON YOUR BOOTS” AVAILABLE

MONDAY, JANUARY 19

ALBUM TRACKLISTING & ARTWORK REVEALED

(TORONTO – January 16) - The world’s biggest rock act, U2 have announced
that “Get On Your Boots”, the first single from their upcoming new album, No
Line On The Horizon will be at radio and available for purchase as a digital
download on iTunes Monday, January 19.

Produced by Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite, sessions for No
Line On The Horizon began in Fez, Morocco, and continued at the band’s
Dublin studio, New York’s Platinum Sound Recording Studios, and Olympic
Studios in London.

No Line On The Horizon will be released March 3 in a standard CD format with
24 page booklet and in digipak format. A limited edition 64-page magazine
and deluxe box format will also be available, featuring the band in
conversation with artist Catherine Owens, along with new Anton Corbijn
photographs. The digipak and deluxe formats include an extended booklet and
access to the album’s companion film “Linear” by Anton Corbijn. Full format
information is available at U2.com.

The cover artwork for the album is an image of the sea meeting the sky by
Japanese artist and photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto.

The full track listing is as follows:

1. No Line On The Horizon

2. Magnificent

3. Moment of Surrender

4. Unknown Caller

5. I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight

6. Get On Your Boots

7. Stand Up Comedy

8. Fez – Being Born

9. White As Snow

10. Breathe

11. Cedars Of Lebanon

For the latest U2 news, visit U2.com | U2.com

For photographs and album artwork hit Login or
www.u2.com/rmpphoto"

I thought it wasn't on digital download until Feb 15th or something? :hmm:

2edcr53jpg.gif

Hellz Yeah

No, I just got my hopes up :(

I thought it wasn't on digital download until Feb 15th or something? :hmm:

I thought so too, but this news website sent me the communique from Universal Music Canada....it's probably an error from them (and they'll send another one correcting it)...but I thought I'd share just in case ....if someone is quick enough on Monday to download it before they remove it! :sexywink:

It would be smart to release it monday with the radio release. Capitalize on the publicity. It's already going to be everywhere on the net anyways. I personally hope this is true, but I guess we'll see in a few days.

What someone needs to do is get a Salome style bootleg of the whole double album of material they supposedly recorded.

Perhaps it is an iTunes exclusive until February 15th, at which point other stores such as Amazon and 7digital can sell it :hmm:

this would be the smart move by the band. if we're all going to download a shitty radio rip, they might as well capitalize on us paying $.99 per download. i sure will be if it's available.

this would be the smart move by the band. if we're all going to download a shitty radio rip, they might as well capitalize on us paying $.99 per download. i sure will be if it's available.

Yeah, it makes no sense to wait a month to release this on iTunes. Why do they want people to listen to the song with subpar audio for 4 weeks? And mid-Feb is so close to release (and especially if the Japanese version is released early or it leaks) that many people may not even bother buying it on iTunes after listening to a medium quality boot over and over for a month. There's a pretty decent chance the whole album could leak before the single is even legally released in decent quality.

Yeah, it makes no sense to wait a month to release this on iTunes. Why do they want people to listen to the song with subpar audio for 4 weeks? And mid-Feb is so close to release (and especially if the Japanese version is released early or it leaks) that many people may not even bother buying it on iTunes after listening to a medium quality boot over and over for a month. There's a pretty decent chance the whole album could leak before the single is even legally released in decent quality.

Exactly. I'll gladly pay 99 cents for it next week, but by Feb 15, with the album two weeks (or less) away, I'll just stick with whatever radio mp3 I was sent until the album comes out.

They released "Vertigo" to iTunes either the day it hit radio or the day after. I agree that going back to the old pattern of waiting a month or so is ridiculous in this day and age.

Exactly. I'll gladly pay 99 cents for it next week, but by Feb 15, with the album two weeks (or less) away, I'll just stick with whatever radio mp3 I was sent until the album comes out.

That's exactly my thinking as well...which was why I was surprised that the iTunes date in the U2.com article was so far away. The single downloads in general is just a small piece of the revenue pie in the overall scheme of things, but I'm sure Paul McG and Universal would agree that a buck's a buck and would want to maximize the potential! :wink:

The first single "Get On Your Boots" is scheduled to simultaneously go to iTunes and radio on Monday January 19th. (currently scheduled for 3:10am EST).

iTunes will have the digital download exclusive for "Get On Your Boots" for the first 24 hours. For iTunes the single will be available both as an individual download, and as an instant grat track for album pre-order (both regular and deluxe version).

Deluxe iTunes version will include Anton Corbijn's "Linear" film, and a digital collector's magazine. When you pre-order the album, you get the single immediately and get access to bonus music not available elsewhere. (details tbc)
From Alan's recent blog posting regarding the press release:

The track is scheduled to be released physically on February 16th. Formats to include a CD maxi, CD 2 track in wallet, and CD 2 track in card case. (details tbc).

The band will perform the single live at the 2009 Brit Awards on February 18th at London's Earls Court. The video is scheduled to arrive on January 29th.

The first single "Get On Your Boots" is scheduled to simultaneously go to iTunes and radio on Monday January 19th. (currently scheduled for 3:10am EST).

iTunes will have the digital download exclusive for "Get On Your Boots" for the first 24 hours. For iTunes the single will be available both as an individual download, and as an instant grat track for album pre-order (both regular and deluxe version).

Deluxe iTunes version will include Anton Corbijn's "Linear" film, and a digital collector's magazine. When you pre-order the album, you get the single immediately and get access to bonus music not available elsewhere. (details tbc)

The track is scheduled to be released physically on February 16th. Formats to include a CD maxi, CD 2 track in wallet, and CD 2 track in card case. (details tbc).

The band will perform the single live at the 2009 Brit Awards on February 18th at London's Earls Court. The video is scheduled to arrive on January 29th.

Yes! Where's this info from?

And do they release all new stuff on iTunes Plus now?

We'll just have to wait until the 19th to find out. There are too many conflicting reports at this point to do anything other than guess.

Now I'm confused. I thought U2.com said digital release in Feb. It definitely makes more sense to release on Jan. 19. I would gladly pay 99 cents to get a good quality track on Monday rather than a radio rip.

Much much smarter.

my info comes from a
bonfide
= Press Release =

(Thanks to Ryan Sheppard from Universal Music Canada.)

That's exactly my thinking as well...which was why I was surprised that the iTunes date in the U2.com article was so far away. The single downloads in general is just a small piece of the revenue pie in the overall scheme of things, but I'm sure Paul McG and Universal would agree that a buck's a buck and would want to maximize the potential! :wink:

yeah well with 5 different versions of the album coming out I think we can safely say they will maximising all the earning potential they can from it!

am surprised they're releasing a physical single at all in the UK- almost no shops actually sell them now (really only HMV) and they no longer count for chart sales. What have seen happening of late is the i-tunes release followed by a physical release some weeks later- it will be available illegally everywhere by Monday so why not put in on sale the same day?? there's nothing on Uk i-tunes for it though

Deluxe iTunes version will include Anton Corbijn's "Linear" film, and a digital collector's magazine. When you pre-order the album, you get the single immediately and get access to bonus music not available elsewhere. (details tbc)From Alan's recent blog posting regarding the press release:

huh? :hmm:

Yeah this is getting crazy. Please don't tell me we have to buy the iTunes album to get extra tracks that won't be on the box set.

Would you be surprised if that was the case? After all this is a band that charges you for full access to their poorly run website.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom