good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just enjo the concert carrying a camera is a pain. i did it last time and its not worth it. go enjoy the memories will be in your head. :wave:

for people that have had multiple point n' shooters and been able to compare, how big of a difference is there between 3X Optical Zoom------5X Opticial zoom?

Is it is really worth $200 to upgrade to a new camera for this function?

I have a current 3X zoom, and am not 100% please with it from my Vertigo pictures. Now I cant upgrade to a professional camera with extended zoom (like 10X) cuz i wont get it into the stadium past security. However, the small type point n shooter they allow into concerts really only go as high as 5X from what i can find. So is it really worth $200 to buy a new camera for this?

Buying a new camera for the tour?

Hi D. Darroch! Yep. I'm here too.:wave:

I bought my Canon for the concerts. I looked at a bunch of different ones. This AS 2000 has a 6x optical zoom which is better than the 200 mm zoom I had on my old SLR. Plus it records video. So for me it was worth it. Your mileage may vary.
I found it on clearance at Walmart for just under $200.

There is something to be said for just going and enjoying the concert. Take your choice!

Birdlover

I just witnessed an amazing show in Toronto.

The NIN/JA tour. I like NIN....but I also wanted to see Jane's Addiction since I've never seen them.

What was most interesting, was Trent, NIN's singer, released this information for the tour.

I'd like to see U2 do the same. The when in doubt leave it at home is in reference to the mosh pit.

I managed to take some decent pictures as I had floor seats. But it reminded me that I definitely need a new camera for the U2 tour. I'm now thinking about the Canon SX200 IS. It shoots video in HD.

In an effort to allow you to document your experience at the upcoming NIN/JA performances, we will be relaxing our photo/video policy (5/7/09 - 6/12/09 only). Fans will be permitted to bring in their personal cameras, video and audio recorders. This is not not an open door policy for any and all recording devices. Please try to use common sense as we are trying to ensure this experience is great for everyone attending. Don't show up with a television crew and a recording studio.
To be clear: this applies only to the North American NIN/JA tour.

Examples:

I have a nice SLR camera and lens and I want to shoot photos. YES.
I have a high-quality camcorder and want to record video / audio. YES.
I have a shoulder-mounted broadcast-quality video camera and want to shoot the show. NO.
I have a flash-based audio recorder with a stereo hand-held mic and want to record the show. YES.
I have a full Pro-Tools rig running off a generator and want to record the show. NO.
I don't have any recording devices but I'd kind of like to make out with Ilan. NO (probably).

The following guidelines will be enforced.

- Photo and video access is granted only for non-commercial private use.
- Photo and video access is limited to areas permitted by type of ticket held.
- NO access to barricade/photo pit.
- NO shoulder mounted video equipment allowed, all cameras must be hand held.
- NO equipment with a dimension longer than 20 inches (including cameras, lenses, etc.)
- NO equipment bags that violate existing venue bag policies (check with venue)
- NO external supports (tripods, monopods, steadicam mounts, mic stands, etc.)
- NO video or audio broadcast equipment (microwave, RF, etc.)
- NO external power equipment
- NO lighting equipment (mounted or secondary)

WHEN IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT AT HOME.

If you plan to take advantage of this relaxed policy, we recommend that you
do the following...
- Carefully review your equipment to ensure it meets these specs.
- Arrive early for possible security delays.
- If your equipment is so expensive and/or fragile that you'd freak out if something happened to it, leave it behind, we're not responsible.
- Do not interfere with anyone else's enjoyment of the show or create a hazard.

We will do our best to make sure venue security staff is aware of our camera policy. However, there are always going to be cases where local security misunderstands and attempts to enforce a stricter camera policy. This is unfortunately one of the hazards of attempting to be considerably more open about recording than most of the concert industry. If a security guard hassles you for equipment that is allowed under our guidelines, please ask him to speak with NIN security about the matter and we will do our best to resolve it.

Audio and video recorded at NIN/JA shows is for personal use only, and cannot under any circumstances be sold or used for profit in any way.

Relaxed camera policy for NIN/JA defined

I just witnessed an amazing show in Toronto.

The NIN/JA tour. I like NIN....but I also wanted to see Jane's Addiction since I've never seen them.

What was most interesting, was Trent, NIN's singer, released this information for the tour.

I'd like to see U2 do the same. The when in doubt leave it at home is in reference to the mosh pit.

I managed to take some decent pictures as I had floor seats. But it reminded me that I definitely need a new camera for the U2 tour. I'm now thinking about the Canon SX200 IS. It shoots video in HD.

In an effort to allow you to document your experience at the upcoming NIN/JA performances, we will be relaxing our photo/video policy (5/7/09 - 6/12/09 only). Fans will be permitted to bring in their personal cameras, video and audio recorders. This is not not an open door policy for any and all recording devices. Please try to use common sense as we are trying to ensure this experience is great for everyone attending. Don't show up with a television crew and a recording studio.
To be clear: this applies only to the North American NIN/JA tour.

I love Trent Reznor.

He's a Twitter freak, too. That is SO cool about the recording policy. It's basically an unstated policy for most shows anyway, but I like that Trent has the balls to embrace it.

Mark

for people that have had multiple point n' shooters and been able to compare, how big of a difference is there between 3X Optical Zoom------5X Opticial zoom?

Is it is really worth $200 to upgrade to a new camera for this function?

I have a current 3X zoom, and am not 100% please with it from my Vertigo pictures. Now I cant upgrade to a professional camera with extended zoom (like 10X) cuz i wont get it into the stadium past security. However, the small type point n shooter they allow into concerts really only go as high as 5X from what i can find. So is it really worth $200 to buy a new camera for this?

te difference between 3x and 5 x isnt tat much. I would rater spend some more money and look for a camera wit around 10x optical zoom.

smileymbcastard : I don't agree wit you, for people who love photography
and music , taking photo's at a concert is amazing. Getting a good shot gives me a kick , and music makes it an experience of a lifetime.

Does anyone have a decent small camera that doesn't take forever for the picture to 'load' into the camera or save on the memory card or whatever. Mine takes anywhere from 3-8 seconds to be ready for the next shot and it drives me crazy.

^I dunno what camera you have, but maybe you can just buy one of those super fast SD cards...

Does anyone have a decent small camera that doesn't take forever for the picture to 'load' into the camera or save on the memory card or whatever. Mine takes anywhere from 3-8 seconds to be ready for the next shot and it drives me crazy.

Is the camera set to display the picture? Most cameras are set that way. I always turn that off or put to 0 seconds. I can shoot nonstop with my DSLR using pretty cheap cards, so I doubt with a point-and-shoot it's a size/speed issue. It's either the camera displaying the picture first, or the time it takes to re-focus. The first can be adjusted, the second is just the limitation of a point and shoot.

I like the Panasonic Lumix TZ4, 5, and/or 7. At least 10x optical zoom and the setting are easy to manipulate. I picked up a TZ4 for cheap and have been happy with the results so far. I prefer my Canon PowerShot SD 880 for every day use but the Panasonic has shown to be superior for concerts so far.

Is the camera set to display the picture? Most cameras are set that way. I always turn that off or put to 0 seconds. I can shoot nonstop with my DSLR using pretty cheap cards, so I doubt with a point-and-shoot it's a size/speed issue. It's either the camera displaying the picture first, or the time it takes to re-focus. The first can be adjusted, the second is just the limitation of a point and shoot.

Thanks, I didn't know you could turn that feature off.

Consumer Reports Magazine this month has a whole big huge article (and cover) on the best digital cameras, separated into three categories - small and lightweight, fast and good zoom and I forget what the 3rd was. But good article with lots of good info.

I love Trent Reznor.

He's a Twitter freak, too. That is SO cool about the recording policy. It's basically an unstated policy for most shows anyway, but I like that Trent has the balls to embrace it.

Mark

Dave Navarro gave free tickets to the first person in Toronto who messaged him via twitter when he put the tickets up for grabs via twitter.

The rule of thumb for stable image quality is: use a shutter speed faster than the focal length of the lens. e.g. Using a 50mm lens? Then shoot at 1/50 or faster. So with that being said, it comes down to aperture. Make sure your camera can let as much light in as possible at your desired focal length. Aperture is measured by 'f-stop'. You want the lowest number f-stop you can afford. On a DSLR, fixed shorter focal length lenses (prime) usually get as low as f/1.4 or f/1.8. A good zoom gets down to f/2.8. Of course, good glass comes at a price and is likely overkill for a GA environment unless you're behind a barricade (and if you get it in).

So remember, look for the ability to adjust aperture and ISO. If you find a cam with ISO adjustments only (common in pocket point and shoots), read the reviews and look for clean performance at high ISO. High megapixels in a pocket camera is not your goal, you want low noise. Unless you're printing larger than 8x10 anything over 6 megapixels is really not needed. More pixels on a small sensor = more noise.

I picked up the Nikon Coolpix L100 and it is much larger than i was expecting. From pictures on here, it looks to be the same design size as the Canon PowerShot G10 with the lense sticking out significantly (one size up from the general pocket-sized rectangular point n shoot)

Anyone ever tried to get this into a concert? sure, its still considered a point n shoot, but i am scared i wont be able to get it in

I just checked my Dublin ticket. It doesn't say anything about cameras. It does, however, say:
*The event may be recorded live for use in the forum of sound recordings, television videotapes and other
means of audio and audiovisual reproductions, now known to be invented.

If people can record the show, I should be able to take pictures.
IF I bring my DSLR, can they confiscate it even if it doesn't say "no cameras" on the ticket??? They can't, can they?

Edit: I realise now that of course they mean that U2 themselves may film it, don't they?

I've never had a camera in a concert. Are they even allowed? I might take my Canon powershot to one of the U2 concerts, but certainly not the first ones, just to try it out. It has a 10x zoom. Any advice concerning functions and how to use it best? In the end, I'll be to excited to use it, anyway. And I don't have a very quiet hand.

I SO want to bring my camera (as noted earlier, a Canon 5D Mark II) - I love photography and I would be kinda sad if I can't bring my favourite thing with me to a U2 concert.

Wanted to add to this point...

The close-ups were probably close enough to be in flash range, but the lighting & mood would be completely lost if a flash were used.

Don't ask me for the source (I believe it was U2T).

If you're close (against rail or within a couple of rows), TURN YOUR FLASH OFF. The post I remember said that Bono in particular will not stay long or close if the flash is going off in his face. So, not only do you miss the great close shot, but you deprive those around you from their time with B-man.

I've no idea if the distance he prefers to have is cause of his vision issue or just that a close bright flash in anyone's face is distracting at best, messing with your short-term vision at worst.

Just a thought... but one that I'll be practicing.

Thanks, I didn't know you could turn that feature off.

Consumer Reports Magazine this month has a whole big huge article (and cover) on the best digital cameras, separated into three categories - small and lightweight, fast and good zoom and I forget what the 3rd was. But good article with lots of good info.

This is the one Consumer Reports recommended for sports / concerts / etc

Canon Powershot SX110 IS (9X optical zoom) and says it should cost about $210.

I'm just gonna try to get my DSLR in and take 1 backup point and shooter with 20x optical zoom. And a vidcam for my friend that should do. If i get busted , i'll just return it to the car. I have seats so I don't see the problem. :up:

I had my camera (Canon Powershot S3 IS) at the first night in Barcelona.
I stuffed it in my underpants (just in case), although the security check wasn't strict at all.
I was standing in the last line of the inner circle (in the middle of the stage at the fence).

Here's my video of Unknown Caller.

And some photos:
mp-IMG-39.jpg

jx2-IMG-40.jpg

47-IMG-39.jpg

133-IMG-40.jpg

oid-IMG-40.jpg

3zs-IMG-39.jpg

Looks really good! The one of Edge looks awesome. lovin the lights:love: and the man:drool::love:

apis, your pictures are fantastic :up:

I have a Canon Powershot, too. I don't think there's a need to hide it, it's allowed inside the stadion. I'll try to take it in the second Milan night when we have seats. I don't think I want to take pictures on my first night, and GA is too dangerous for my camera. I won't be able to make good pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom