Glastonbury Setlist Party II: Electric Boogaloo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a review from The Guardian. They quite liked it (4 stars out of 5): U2 at Glastonbury 2011 - review | Music | guardian.co.uk

Yeah I think he gets that review just about right. MOS wasn't a good song to have near the end, I don't think it plays well live at all. New Years Day or Desire and having One at the end would have been so much better. In fact thinking about it New Years Day was their first top 10 single in the UK and broke the band here and would have got a fantastic reception.

I'm surprised they didn't play Desire. I thought that was for sure gonna be in the set, as it seems to be a pretty popular and well-known U2 song everywhere. They even play it sometimes when they go to commercial on NBA playoff games.

Just got in, missed the show entirely. :angry:

Saw the setlist- what were the highlights?

Everything up to the point where we realized they were done for good.

Specifically the opening bunch and the Beautiful Day to Vertigo section

I also liked the Mark Kelly thing

I had a nap. That was lovely.

I'm surprised they played MOS. Glad it got some singing along, but from this perspective, it didn't get the same kind of enthusiasm as the others. Glad they didn't end with it, though.

I love the ZooTV opening sequence, but I do think One and Streets should be closer to the end of the set to keep it from feeling too front-loaded.
Elevation > GOYB > Vertigo was wonderful, though.

Guys lets just give the band the credit this time, they went there tons of pressure and won a few people over

tumblr_ln8gtqBKsW1qafrh6.gif

Overall- great set and lots of energy. While I don't think this was the greatest all time U2 performance, it definitely had highlights that got great crowd response. I'm sure I would have had a blast there, but I do think a few more newer songs(from the last 2 albums) to show "hey, we're no nostalgia act" would have been nice

My only other observations: U2 didn't seem overly comfortable being disconnected w/the crowd. There were some flubs that shouldn't happen...the beginning of Streets is THE U2 moment and it was messy. (Also Bono, please don't ever do that stupid ad-libbing in Streets again.) Bad was a bit of a trainwreck also, but I think Bono realized that his plan to give a new song structure/ad-lib lyrics wasn't the best idea so he salvaged it by really belting out the chorus which was great. The set was a bit short for a band with such a back catalogue but I understand why they kept it shorter--hit 'em fast and furious, dazzle them, get them singing/clapping and get off stage before the crowd realizes what hit them!

I wish I could strap my friends to a chair and force them to watch this set. They'd be converts, all of them.

Wow that wowy was powerful seeing bonos wife on the balcony after the shoutout

Love this band forever and always

There were some flubs that shouldn't happen...the beginning of Streets is THE U2 moment and it was messy. (Also Bono, please don't ever do that stupid ad-libbing in Streets again.)

Yeah, Streets was the most notable. At first, I thought that Edge was going for a more mellow intro. If he was, it was quite nice. However, it really does seem that he just botches it a bit. And I agree on the ad-libbing. Fine, change "poison rain" to "dirty rain," like you've done for a decade plus. But leave the main verses to your self-described "God walks through the room" song intact, my friend!

purpleoscar said:
I DYING to hear this! :hyper:

U2 nervous but winning people over its amazing i cant wait to get a proper uninterupted bootleg because even bbc hd switched back to bbc 2 which i never planned but thanks to me lovely mum i only missed one song

Nice that Bono sang a snippet of Movin On Up (and he also sang Primal Scream's praises in the interview afterwards). I think it was his was of offering an olive branch after he ripped into them 20 years ago. I hope this opens up the possibility of my dream gig - the Scream supporting U2 on the next tour.:drool:

I liked that the online stream switched to Primal Scream after U2's set. I was jamming to Movin' On Up and Loaded.

I just watched the clip and didn't see her, although I did see there were people on the side when the first verse started.

The one-two punch of Even Better Than the Real Thing and The Fly was the definition of awesome. Couldn't have started a show any better, Glasto was no different.

:rockon:

Apologies for my gripe about the set being short. About 100 minutes, around that mark. Just seen on youtube that Radioheads 2003 set was only 89 minutes. So it wasn't that short in reality. it just felt that way. I think it was the disapointing end that was the only dampener for me.

corianderstem said:
I just watched the clip and didn't see her, although I did see there were people on the side when the first verse started.

She is on the side (or i have it totally wrong) she has a black coat on plus a black hat knowing me it probably not even her, but just the way the camera pans after the shout out and she did say she would be there

rjhbonovox said:
Apologies for my gripe about the set being short. About 100 minutes, around that mark. Just seen on youtube that Radioheads 2003 set was only 89 minutes. So it wasn't that short in reality. it just felt that way. I think it was the disapointing end that was the only dampener for me.

Dissapointing end with ooc? Wow

Dissapointing end with ooc? Wow

any sane u2 freak who doesnae think that set was scorching should be checking theirself intae the loonybin.

a loved it from start tae finish and can't stop watchin it.

mibees am the loony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom