Given the choice: Everything before Achtung or everything after Achtung?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can I pick both? :-D

This is a bit tough, it depends on my mood really.
But if I choose one, I guess I'd go with before. When I think about it, how often do I listen to HTDAB? Or ATYCLB? Not as often as I'd listen the 80's albums.
I really wanted to say after AB, I mean I didn't even become a U2 fan till I heard either Stay and Lemon when I was about 12 or 13 years old.

Ranking The Albums

1. Joshua Tree
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind (Before = +1)
3. Achtung Baby
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa (Before = +2)
6. War
7. October
8. No Line On The Horizon (Before = +4)
9. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
10. Boy (Before = +3)
11. Passengers
12. Rattle & Hum (Before = +2)
13. Pop (Before = +3)

So, "Before" handily wins without me adding in the superior non-album stuff from the 80's.

before, i don't see how you could choose otherwise. Much as I love Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, what came after them doesn't come close to their 80s output.

their 80s output is overall stronger, but: i hardly listen to it anymore (been listening to u2 since release of october).

that said, my favourite u2 album is pop, which i also listen to most. therefore, my vote goes to 'after'.

before, i don't see how you could choose otherwise. Much as I love Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, what came after them doesn't come close to their 80s output.
That's just personal you know. For me TUF-R&H (mostly because I don't like R&) = 2000's output > boctowar

i fell in love with U2 around 85-86, so obviously I love the 80s, stuff, but if I had to pick a favourite decade it would be the 90s. For me the 00's stuff just doesn't compare well against the 80s and 90s though i do like NLOTH and ATYCLB a lot.

I'm 17. And I can safely say Before. Bomb is the only album I really liked after. ATYCLB is good too, but I don't feel it stands up. And NLOTH is just meh to me :/

This is so hard to choose! I grew up on the 80's stuff but I likeed the 00's and the 90's albums........ :hmm: So I choose BOTH (if we could have AB) but if not then I guess after? No... but sure. NO BOTH STILL. This is impossible :doh:

This will actually be interesting. I am betting the newer (younger) fans generally will pick after while the older fans will pick before.

I would generally agree with you.

But as I reflect on this, and as an older fan, I have to say after - especially if AB is added to the 90's-00's mix.

Before has some absolutely brilliant stuff and at times, that is the music I want to hear.

But there are some outstanding gems in the after. While I would argue there's also more fluff or filler in the after too, the gems outshine some of the strongest 80's material.

Therefore, I have to say "after" even though I am an "older" fan. :)

Just to teas you a bit, the 00's only had three albums and you like two of them quite a bit. So... ;)

I know I know :) But before 2000 they hadn't released anything that I didn't really love, and after 2000 they had about 5 songs that I actively hate so that gives it a better perspective :)

Damn. Tough choice. On the one hand, The Joshua Tree is the first U2 album I ever brought and has one of my all-time favorite songs, not just by the band, but in general, on it ("With Or Without You"), so that makes it special to me, and it's one of my favorite U2 albums, along with War and The Unforgettable Fire.

On the other hand, I love Pop, it's probably my favorite U2 album, and there's songs like "Stay" and "The Ground Beneath Her Feet", which I simply adore, they're some of the band's most gorgeous songs, and I got into U2's music in 2002 thanks to All That You Can't Leave Behind being everywhere for the two years prior to that. So...I may have to say "after", were I FORCED to choose (we're talking "gun to my head" scenario here)...but...gah...

Aw, hell, Cori said it best:

You know what? Screw this. I'm taking everything. You can't make me choose! :madspit:

YEAH! *Grabs her CD case with all her U2 music, clutches it to her chest, and runs away very quickly*

Angela

Before, and it's not even close (for me). Someone asked about age -- I'm 27, but I got started on them literally as a child in the 80s, so that might have something to do with it.

Everything After, It was AB and the ZOO tour that made me a fan.

If they'd carried on down the same road as JT, (even though I love it) I wouldn't be the fan I am now.

That's a difficult one.
I would probably say after - but mainly because of the 90's period: Zooropa/Pop ... And the time - I became a fan in 94.
But argh, I couldn't live without JT - dreadfuld idea never having heard Streets live ... :sad: ... and UF ... :sad:

No, this is not going to work ... Ich kann nicht wählen!

So, I'll go with both. :reject:

I'd go for whichever INCLUDES Achtung. I am essentially tied between the periods as Pop & NLOTH vs TUF & TJT is pretty equal in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom