From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roman interviewed Lanois. Those of us who are friends with him have seen photos and read the interview. I believe that comment was off the record though. I guess you can't always get what you want. Take it or leave it. That is up to you.

Again Romi did NOT talk to him in a fan context. He has done many amazing interviews with different artists.

I believe the interview took place...but was that comment in the interview or not? And if not, and the the comment was "off the record," (if it was said at all) why is it being splayed out all over a U2 fan site, especially since it's of a personal nature involving people he's had a relationship with for almost 30 years. Isn't that a betrayal of Lanois trust? And if the interview was not done in a "fan context" but as a journalist, isn't "revealing off the record" info a breach of journalistic ethics?

We might be able to help each other out here? :sad:

:wink:

Shooot at the count of three?

Dear god. I was already sad that they put this shit artist on the cover album. To have them cover the holy fucking grail of U2 songs, my favourite of all? WHY? Just fucking WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT????? :scream:

And Nick, please, can't you see how ridiculous this argument is you're having? Just please drop it before we get another drama thread. :(

Almost all covers of U2 songs suck, I doubt these will be any different (though the Gavin Friday one should be interesting).

It's not that. I mean, I KNOW it will suck. But the fact that U2 have decided to let the SHITTIEST opener they've ever had cover the best song they've ever made?

I.. I can't even comprehend this. How the fuck. Why? Who. :|

Hey, all I did was ask for this supposed quote...and several people seemed to think that was unreasonable.

You asked once, that's okay. But you keep on asking for more proof, you almost reminded me of a certain banned user I don't want to think about anymore in your perseverance. You don't buy it, or you're not sure, fine, but you don't have to keep repeating that y'know. :) We get your point after one time asking.

It's not that. I mean, I KNOW it will suck. But the fact that U2 have decided to let the SHITTIEST opener they've ever had cover the best song they've ever made?

I.. I can't even comprehend this. How the fuck. Why? Who. :|

Awww GG! I know how much you love this song!:therethere:

I am looking forward to the Killers doing Ultraviolet though!:up:

Awww GG! I know how much you love this song!:therethere:

I am looking forward to the Killers doing Ultraviolet though!:up:

That, Snow Patrol and Gavin Friday I look forward to.

But I'll download them separately. I do not want this cd. I don't even want it in a 1000 mile radius from me. :sad:

Why couldn't they have picked ANY other song? :sigh:

Damnit Bono. You and I need to have a talk. Face to face. I'll bring my baseball bat. :| I'm sure we can get an "agreement" on swapping artists and songs here.

Can we talk about FTSD?

Not Lanois.
Not the AB covers list (which should be its own thread).
Not whether AB is remastered or not.

We just watched this incredible documentary that we've been waiting for forever... and yesterday was Christmas.

And we're arguing, and talking about this?

Am I bugging ya? I don't mean to bug ya....

But GET ON TOPIC, PLEASE.

kthxbai.

Do we know if it's been uploaded somewhere yet? I thought there'd be a link by now. And I know someone asked if this had been edited for TV. IMDB said it was 88 minutes long and it seemed to be about that long.

Can we talk about FTSD?

Not Lanois.
Not the AB covers list (which should be its own thread).
Not whether AB is remastered or not.

We just watched this incredible documentary that we've been waiting for forever... and yesterday was Christmas.

And we're arguing, and talking about this?

Am I bugging ya? I don't mean to bug ya....

But GET ON TOPIC, PLEASE.

kthxbai.

All of these discussions were brought about by the documentary though.

i'm actually looking foward to the covers album, which is surprising. i usually hate covers. Glasvegas doing Acrobat is really disappointing though.

I'd like to know this too. I missed the bbc broadcast.

If you live in the UK, you can watch it on BBC iPlayer, or if you don't, you just need a proxy to watch.

The version that aired on BBC appears to be unedited, except for the scene showing the original naked Adam photo shoot, which apparently was edited out.

All of these discussions were brought about by the documentary though.

All of them were brought about because they have to do with Achtung Baby. But what I'm saying is... we JUST saw the documentary, and apparently none of us have anything to say about it? We can't even begin to bring this conversation back around until others dropped their unrelated issues......

So, as far as the documentary goes... there is a way for PC users to watch it, but Macs can't as easily....

Those asking, PC or Mac?

All of them were brought about because they have to do with Achtung Baby. But what I'm saying is... we JUST saw the documentary, and apparently none of us have anything to say about it? We can't even begin to bring this conversation back around until others dropped their unrelated issues......

So, as far as the documentary goes... there is a way for PC users to watch it, but Macs can't as easily....

Those asking, PC or Mac?

If you search in the um, usual places, you'll see that it's already "available".

My Mac won't allow me to discuss the documentary, unfortunately.

As a college kid with roughly 1 acquaintance who owns anything other than a MacBook, it's surprising to me that there isn't something as big/accessible as ExPat for us.

Can't wait to watch, though.:drool:

Well, I've said it before: the documentary is great. I have learnt a lot of stuff about the recording and it has made me want to go back to the reading material we have on the recordings: the Bill Flanagan book, the Propaganda visit to the studio feature, the Robbie Adams interview, the fantastic Brian Eno piece on how U2 make albums, etc...

Really impressed by David Guggenheim. He does actually seem to be a fan, since he is really into the actual story of the making of the album and intra-band relationships, not in a voyeuristic way, but rather as a way of better understanding the creative process.

The graphics are good, and the use of notebooks completed by band and producers during the recording (probably the notebooks belong to Lanois and Eno) is fantastic.

Even the title is good, coming as it does from a Bono quote about how the band makes their music "they build the house from the sky down" (there is a similar spanish saying: "empezar la casa por el tejado").

So yes, great stuff, they gave a lot of access to a talented professional and he has come up with the goods.

Like everybody elese I would love to have endless outtakes and cut scenes but I can't complain and I can't wait to watch it again...

Santiago

Just saw it, and one thing struck me about the sequence where they play the "One" improvisation. The film subtitle says "October 11", if I recall correctly. Yet, from everything I've read, I thought One wasn't improvised until December, after weeks and weeks of struggling to come up with any material. If the song actually came about on October 11, in the first week of the sessions, then a lot of the narrative surrounding the Berlin sessions changes.

Try not to pin U2 down to literal dates and literal sayings. Sometimes they just say things and it might not be 100% factually correct.

Back
Top Bottom