Fleetwood Mac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you'll come back here and express your love for it. Such a gorgeous song.

I listened to and enjoyed it. It seems almost as though it is the essence of Stevie Nicks in song - very mystical and sexually ambiguous. Those are definitely good things.

Sara is terrific. It's so lonely and beautiful and almost haunted in a way. One of those spectacularly dark songs that somehow manages to be really tuneful as well. Stevie really does a nice job throughout Tusk, but that one is the highlight, and it only gets better once you read further into the song's meaning.

No spoken words said:
Please tell me, IY, that you enjoy Sara.

I just....I like you a lot, and a negative response here will...jeopardize.....many things.

I hate myself for it, but I don't care for "Sara". I can't get into the song at all while it's on, and once it's over, I've forgotten how it goes. It is literally the only Stevie song I don't feel strongely about.

:)

I just listened to the song again. It's very nice, I think maybe I'm more confused as to why most seem to think it's her/their best.

twin_peaks_37.jpg

I remember when they originally released Tusk on CD and they edited Sara. I was pissed - edit the best song on the album? Thankfully they've since rectified that. And the remaster sounds great.

Now they just need to upgrade Mirage and Tango...

Tsk, tsk, Cobbler. It's obviously Bruce Campbell.

Listening to Tusk for the third or fourth time, and I definitely love the hell out of this album, but I'm still convinced that the second half is way better than the first. And I also think this might be Lindsey's best work.

bono_212 said:
Listening to Tusk for the third or fourth time, and I definitely love the hell out of this album, but I'm still convinced that the second half is way better than the first. And I also think this might be Lindsey's best work.

And Stevie's, as well. Sara/Storms/Sisters of the Moon are all just heartwrenching and fragile and oh wow she was on a winning streak there. Lindsey was cracked out to hell, and it was for the best. Even the more average songs sound great thanks to their visceral, aggressive production. There's a lot of fractured, honest beauty in those tracks too.

McVie's contributions don't blow or anything, and they're a nice buffer for the emotional tug-of-war happening between Stevie and Lindsey, but she didn't deserve 6 of them. I have no complaints about the length of the album, but Christine opening and closing the album is ludicrous to me, so IMO it could benefit from re-sequencing.

IMO, Think About Me and Brown Eyes are very strong tracks and among my favorites on the album.

But I agree she shouldn't have had the first and last spots and about the sequencing. It's odd because she has two songs on the first half of the album, and then four on the second half.

The Beatoffs usually did a much better job of spacing out that kind of thing (e.g. The White Album).

to me the only problem with Tusk is that - while the production does sort of bring all of it together - Lindey's, Stevie's and Christine's songs are too distinctively different to mesh together
somehow more than on Rumours, Tango or the 'debut' album (Mirage sort of has the same problem)

so many great songs on Tusk though
if it didn't suffer from post Rumours expectations it would be regarded as one of the best albums of that era

I completely disagree, I feel like Tusk is incredibly cohesive and Rumors is a jumbled mess, but that's just me.

I will admit that the phrase "Jumbled Mess" was hell of exaggeration, but I don't think it's exactly a cohesive record

Rumors is incredibly cohesive...lyrically. There is such a desperate, weary vibe on that record, and it very often finds its way into the lyrics. Musically, it isn't their most cohesive, but it isn't a jumbled mess either. It sounds a little better than a bunch of singles stitched together should sound, but it isn't Kid A or Sea Change or anything.

Tusk could be cohesive-ish, but the sequencing is just so bad that it's difficult to imagine in that way. I'll take a crack at sequencing it some day, but for now I'll just bag on it with no proposed solutions.

Rumours is one of the most cohesive and consistent albums ever, both lyrically and musically. It's just a brilliant record.

So is Tusk, but for different reasons. That record is a jumbled mess, and is supposed to be. It comes across jarring at times, and I'm sure resequencing it would be an interesting project, but I love it the way it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom