FINALLY! Magnificent opens Foxboro 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and ...

I don't consider a set particularly "good" where they start dropping new songs and not replace them with other new songs.

You are far too hung up on this and fixated on sheer quantity.

And I love it when people start to panic when a song is dropped for one or two shows. Once something is gone for a decent stretch, then worrying seems a bit more justified.

And I love it when people start to panic when a song is dropped for one or two shows. Once something is gone for a decent stretch, then worrying seems a bit more justified.
i agree. (i should clarify, my earlier post was more me saying that they need to play more songs off nloth, though statistically i'm already on par with htdaab for hearing songs off the new album. if this makes any sense.)

the same thing happened after the first three shows in europe, people were moaning there was no variation. look at where we are now.

I don't mind where it's played as long as Breathe is played- luckily I've seen it in Europe, but I'd be disappointed if they played YBR instead of it (sorry just not hugely into that song)-

will be interesting to see what happens as the tour progresses with the NLOTH material

Not good. Breathe is the better opener with the drum solo. I'm shocked to see it gone and I hope they don't start dropping new songs now.

Breathe is much better and more energetic as an opener than Magnificent.

:|

Otherwise, the set looks good.

Were you there? you have to be there to fully appreciate it.

Or you have an idea of what works and what not as an intro. Breath for the 1093939th time is NOT a great opener yet a good song so it is strangethat they dropped it. To put it in other words: you are wrong :wink:

still a step sideways, it needs to be no line on the horizon.

but i do like the effort.

NLOTH is the only song besides Magnificent and GOYB (with the extended intro off course) that is QFT to open the show. I NEVER understood the choice for Breath which is just not an opener. Yeah it opened the shows in Europe but that doenst mean it IS an opener...I allways thought it would be 1 minute of let me in the sounds and a national anthem to open the show, NLOTH with a haunting intro or an extended intro of magnificent to kick it off. Breath is too slow and after the intitial enthousiasme is over it sort of fades away. Good choice lads. Drop WOWY, get Electrical storm back and debute Drowning man. Play 1 oldy like 11 oclock (really surprising they do not play this considering the time references and the clockstage) and mix it up between the fly, Even better and discotheque and this is the best setlist ever.

k so there seems to be a lot of confirmed rumors floating around..

Bono had horns...Mac is back?!?! Pics?!

Mofo snippet? or was it A Day Without Me?

Is the MW solo back or no?

The intro to Breathe has been Larry's big moment on the current tour. I don't think he will let them take that away from him so easily :wink:

like i said in the other thread, dropping Breathe is great. it's one of the weaker songs on the album. if this were to be permanent, i think they'll eventually replace it with either another song from NLOTH or Every Breaking Wave.

here's hoping for Fez-Being Born. :drool:

and if i were a drummer, i wouldn't really consider playing a simple pattern to open up a concert a "big moment". now give him a full out drum solo in the middle of Vertigo, and now you're talking.

but imo, the intro to SBS is a much bigger moment for Larry than playing the beginning of Breathe, which is one of the weaker songs from their new album.

Not good. Breathe is the better opener with the drum solo. I'm shocked to see it gone and I hope they don't start dropping new songs now.

Breathe is much better and more energetic as an opener than Magnificent.

:|

Otherwise, the set looks good.

oh! were you there last night then LU? cool! :D

i would have loved to have seen Magnificent as an opener... bet it would be cool... i also reckon NLOTH would be sweet too!

i actually thought Breathe worked nicely too as the less obvious more subtle choice, but sometimes it's nice when they go in there all guns blazing :hyper:

and you have to admit that intro on Magnificent is a bit spaceshippy isn't it?? lmfao!

plus the drum intro on Breathe is the only bit of the song i actually like!

yeah good move overall i reckon!

Ever heard of a little number called Crazy Tonight?

Yep, that, too. But it's something else to start the show all by yourself with a drum intro. It's about Larry being alone on stage and kind of introducing the rest of the band. At least I've always felt it was one very special moment for Larry.

and if i were a drummer, i wouldn't really consider playing a simple pattern to open up a concert a "big moment". now give him a full out drum solo in the middle of Vertigo, and now you're talking.

but imo, the intro to SBS is a much bigger moment for Larry than playing the beginning of Breathe, which is one of the weaker songs from their new album.

I think it's one of the best. And Bono's favourite. I don't see how they drop this song for good. At least bring it back for an encore or another spot in the set.

Yep, that, too. But it's something else to start the show all by yourself with a drum intro. It's about Larry being alone on stage and kind of introducing the rest of the band. At least I've always felt it was one very special moment for Larry.

maybe he got bored with it or he saw the light and told the band: let's change the introsong guys, it isn't working. We are better than this and have done better.

Or a combination of the two :hmm:

Actually I think Breathe has been working very well as intro. And at the concerts I went to, crowd was very much into it. Also in the other new songs.

I don't mind if they change the set and put Breathe somewhere else, but my main concern is that the band is beginning to drop songs from their current album instead of adding new songs.

Bono's got YBR and Stay now from his list of favourites. I think he can afford to sacrifice Breathe.

But ten bucks says Breathe will be back by NYC II, if not NYC I.

(I hope I lose this much like I lost my ten buck Drowning Man bet and Breathe is not played again.)

Actually I think Breathe has been working very well as intro. And at the concerts I went to, crowd was very much into it. Also in the other new songs.

IMHO opinion I think the crowd would have been into it if U2 came onstage and played chopsticks so that is not an argument for it being a good introsong. It is just a bit too slow for my liking but to each it's own. I am glad that they dropped it although I clearly do not benefit from it being 9 hours of flying away from the actual place where it happens. Oh well

(I hope I lose this much like I lost my ten buck Drowning Man bet and Breathe is not played again.)

I think Drowning Man (or something even more obscure) has a great chance of being played at Giants Stadium 1 out of the inconvenient change of date.

It's crap, because we're probably gonna see what happened with Vertigo Tour, the gradual filtering out of current album songs as the set turns into a Greatest Hits tour all over again. At the Melbourne gig in '06, I only saw 4 bomb songs. A far cry from the 8 songs enjoyed by punters at some of the early Vertigo gigs.

you people got the definitive version of Kite, I have absolutely no sympathy for you :tsk:

Bono's got YBR and Stay now from his list of favourites. I think he can afford to sacrifice Breathe.

But ten bucks says Breathe will be back by NYC II, if not NYC I.

I think it's representative of a shift... I don't think they'll be going back to Breathe as an opener. We'll see...

I always thought Breathe would make a good encore... The current Ultraviolet one is pretty wicked though so I wouldn't mess with that...

maybe drop WOWY and replace it with Breathe? The flow seems kind of off though :hmm:

not a bad idea actually :up:

Ultraviolet
Breath
Moment of Surrender
Bad

this I would like a lot

Hello!

I was there! VERY HAPPY that I got to see Your Blue Room and it kinda blew me away!

Magnificent was a better opener than I expected, but I was disappointed to not get to see Breathe. I was hoping that Breathe had been dropped to premiere a new NLOTH track like White As Snow, but not this time....

Still, the best u2 show I've ever been at - no question!!!! And I got inside the bomb shelter, or whatever we're calling it this year! :))

Back
Top Bottom