final world trade center design chosen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
as many of you know, it had been narrowed down to two designs for how the world trade center would be rebuilt. Daniel Libeskind's was chosen.

the pic:
3369536323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D883%3D636%3Dxroqdf%3E23233778767%3A4ot1lsi

Hmm...I still think THINK was cooler. Oh well. I didn't like the pit idea either. Well, let's see how it turns out!

Melon

i must be the only one who liked this one. :reject:

i first heard it at the very end of the abc news. peter jennings was wrapping up the nightly news, and he just threw it out there rather matter-of-factly. so i ran to my computer to let you guys know. :(

Hmm I think I like the think one :reject:

I like the idea of keeping two towers.

I wanted them to build the Gaudi. I know it wasn't in the top two but it was submitted. It would have proved that at least some americans have good taste.

though this is all fine and dandy, you couldnt convince me with a million dollars to want to work in those buildings. :down:

im no terrorist, or even all that intelligent, but i do know that as soon as the buildings are completed, they will become targets again. :(

I liked THINK too, but ouizy has pointed out that none of them were his style, if I remember correctly.

Angela Harlem said:
I like this one too.
The other was too...skeletal.

That's exactly what I said when I took a closer look. The more times I saw the other design, the more skeletal, and frankly creepy, those two towers looked.

hi folks.

well, you are right Hiphop, I did/do not like this scheme, nor did I like any of the rest.

I think Libeskind may actually be the "right" architect for the project, however I truly disagree with his design.

Using the "bathtub" that was the original buildings foundation as a design object to me is an unacceptable move. It is a way of quickly grabbing whatever was left at the site and calling it "memorial" as well as simply drawing attention in the wrong direction.

All eyes should be up at the site, not down. The original towers were about strength and height - this is what the new design should say.

I think he is the right architect in that he does "memorial" well, HOWEVER, somewhere deep inside me I think an American architect should do the job.

In any event I am not all that vocal about his as has been said before, I think whatever happens at the site will take at least 20 years to complete and will, in the end look nothing like this design proposal.

If you looked at all the architecture competitions world-wide and counted how many of the winning submissions were actually built, you would find that the percentage is actually very very low.

Just because our Mayor and Govenor liked the way this looks, does not mean any of it will be built, now or ever.

One last thing, as much as I like or dislike Gaudi, I think this is simply a silly comment:

notiti said:
I wanted them to build the Gaudi. I know it wasn't in the top two but it was submitted. It would have proved that at least some americans have good taste.

Have you actually seen Gaudi's proposal for the world's tallest building to be located in New York City? It was called Hotel Attraction, and very simply put - it was a drawing of a rocket ship:

B00006BTDU.01.LZZZZZZZ

I do not know if I should be insulted by the 'good taste' comment, but this my friend is a joke of a building...

all well and good until bathtub wall bursts and dirty Hudson River water fills the space.

nice thought.

I like the design but I still don't like the spire with the garden. It just WON'T happen. and ouizy, do you know how many floors the surrounding buildings will have? I just can't imagine someone building the world's tallest building on that site and people saying "Floor 115? Let's put the company there." not gonna happen.

Of course, the other issue is all the groups who have a hand in this. Everyone gets a say in the design -- the Lower Manhattan Development Co., the neighborhood associations, the mayor, the governor, Larry Silverstein, that guy who owns the retail space, the victims' families etc. etc. I read a book about the Trade Center that said if they tried to build it today, it would never happen. too many people, too much complaining.

They think they can have this done in four years. I hope that's the case. I'm getting sick of that hole. But its going to take longer than that.

This was the better of the two designs. At least this one is looking forward instead of looking back.

I think NY should commission Jorn Utzon to design it. Then you get something to talk about for the next 50 years and possibly America's next Most Beautiful Building.
Alas, he isn't American.
:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom