favourite one hit wonders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Who does that song that goes "you're...A GOD and I...AM NOT..." Cool song. Sounds like a one-hit wonder.
biggrin.gif

Wasn't that Vertical Horizon? If it was, that wasn't their only hit.

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by Bonochick:

I tend to think of bands who I only know one good song by as being one hit wonders. I judge a lot of bands that way.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by Bonochick:

That was actually their second hit.
wink.gif
The first one was "Everything You Want". Y'know..."he is everything you want, he is everything you need, he is everything inside of you that you wish you could be..." etc.

VH is not too bad. I saw them open for another band last year and at least they can play their own instruments. lol.

"Low" Cracker
"Bittersweet Symphony" The Verve

I know these bands have had decent followings, but I think these were their only "hits"...

You all remember that song about the "Little Black Backpack" by Stroke 9? It was really popular about a year or so ago?

That album was GREAT, and I am very hard to satisfy when it comes to new music. In fact, Little Black Backpack was probably the weakest track on it. It was all very uplifting, positive, rock and roll. I kept waiting for more songs from the album to get really popular on radio, but nothing ever did. One hit wonders for sure.

But still a VERY good album.

Haircut One Hundred - Love Plus One

and my favorite 80's one-hit wonder:

'Tenderness' by General Public.
Has that whole English Beat thang going.

EXTREME - MORE THAN WORDS

aaah, my guitar loves that song

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Originally posted by oviedo:
Haircut One Hundred - Love Plus One

there was a band called haircut one hundred?
that is literally where i get my hair cut!
$12 cut for carleton students when you show your student card!!
(last time i went the lady was hilarious, she wanted to see my new car and i ended up letting her drive it. just for a minute)

------------------
binary opposition

Originally posted by pub crawler:
Nice song! I wonder whatever happened to the Sneaker Pimps, anyway. *sigh*

I believe they're still around, but they ditched the chick, if you know what I mean. No more female lead singer... I haven't heard anything new by them but I did hear word that they were still afloat, but not really, er... nevermind.

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
"Low" Cracker
"Bittersweet Symphony" The Verve

I know these bands have had decent followings, but I think these were their only "hits"...

Nope, Cracker had another hit that got a lot of play: Eurotrash Girl
biggrin.gif
<----- very kewl song.

And the Verve had a string of hits in the UK as well (they were huge there) beginning with Butterfly from their debut Storm in Heaven. Also another hit besides Bittersweet Symphony from Urban Hymns are: Sonnet and The Drugs Don't Work. The Verve's success was high in the UK, but nil in the US.

Favorite one hit wonder songs?

Let me rewind with Peter Schilling's Major Tom Part II. Man, I loved that song.

Other fave one hits include Chumbawumba's Tubthumping, which is a shame. Even though that record kind of sucked the big one, they have some wicked tunes under their belt, you just have to dig. Talk about underrated.

Stereo MC's: Connected (OK, they might get more props in the electronic scene, but they are still considered a one hit wonder band)

The Farm: Groovy Train - bigger in the UK, smaller and practically nonexistant in the US.

Eddie Grant: Electric Avenue (get your 1980's on...)

So many of these artists mentioned here are anything BUT one hit wonders! Methinks a lot of you are showing an ignorance of the broader musical spectrum!!

Anyway...

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
The Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Elton John - I'm Still Standing
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Cracker also had the hit song "What the world needs now is another folk singer like I need a hole in my head"

I don't remember the name of the song though.

It hink it was called "What the world needs" maybe.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Right Said Fred. I'm Too Sexy for My Cat. because i love cats, and i sing it to my cat a lot. Also, What's New Pussycat by TJ, cause he's wonderful, and i sing that also to my cat, think TJ had some other hits tho. but anyway, someone already had Men Without Hats. I Want My MTV, Dire Straits, did they ever have another hit? If not, then that'll replace ...My Cat since everyone else has that also.

I thought of another one i like a lot and still play, Life in a Northern Town. A lot of these are turning up on different Musaz things, like in the market. Just about everything in the 50s and 60s was one hit wonders, and there was an article that we seem to be back to that on the charts again now.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-26-2002).]

ooh

how about babylon zoo's 'Spaceman'?

DEFINITE one hit wonders

and 'star trekking across the universe' by ??

Betty Boo is a one hit wonder

'Joey'- Concrete Blonde

Fairground Attraction 'Perfect'

Big Mountain 'baby i love your way', wait.. that's a cover, so technically they are zero hit wonders

The Committments are another that spring to mind, even though i love to sing Mustang Sally and 'Try a Little Tenderness', i think those 2 songs are covers though, so they almost count down as ZERO hit wonders

Scorpions- Winds of Change

Terence Trent Darby 'Sign Your Name'

or 'pop muzik' by whoever wrote that song

'popcorn' by ??

'axel f' is a classic synth hit

'mission impossible theme' by some guy named lala schirrifin or something

'James Brown Is Dead'- By LA Style

'Last Train To Trancentral' by the KLF, now that was a big hit

and many more!

dude wind of change wasn't scorpions only hit.

the other song they had that was a hit was "Rock you like a hurricane". they probably had another hit song because they were popular back in the 80's.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Sneaker Pimps are still around, and yes they ditched the "chick." I see them in the Village Voice playing NYC every once in a while. Here are mine:

Bran Van 3000 - Drinking in L.A.
Breeders - Cannonball
Eels - Novacaine for the Soul
EMF - Unbelievable
I Mother Earth - Not Quite Sonic
Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now
Letters to Cleo - Here and Now
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Neds Atomic Dustbin - Grey Cell Green
Our Lady Peace - Starseed
Snow - Informer
Soho - Hippie Chick
Soup Dragons - I'm Free
Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls (although I think they had another 'hit')

Anyone agree with these???

Originally posted by ericb:

Spinninghead77, Rick Springfield had a whole bunch of hits besides Jessie's Girl: Human Touch, Don't Talk To Strangers, I Get Exited, Rock Of Life, to name a few.

Hhhmmmmnn, Guess that I never heard those songs. I was pretty young in the 80's, and very busy with my NKOTB tape's!!

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
So many of these artists mentioned here are anything BUT one hit wonders! Methinks a lot of you are showing an ignorance of the broader musical spectrum!!

Anyway...

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
The Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Elton John - I'm Still Standing
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

hmm has anyone here heard of another song by that australian phenomenon yothu yindi?

they did that song treaty which

and their second one was quite catchy but hmm

another australian one hit wonder might be 1927 but us australians live in our own lunchboxes

Jill Sobule - "I Kissd A Girl"

Stereo MC's: Connected (OK, they might get more props in the electronic scene, but they are still considered a one hit wonder band)

How well did "Television: Drug Of A Nation" do?

Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy:
EXTREME - MORE THAN WORDS
aaah, my guitar loves that song
Actually, tehy had 3 or 4 hits...

Do you remember Hole Hearted or Stop The World or Rest In Peace.

Extreme's "3 Sides To Every Story" is one of the best rock albums ever.

Originally posted by wannabe:
Radar Love by The Golden Earrings? I dunno if that was their only hit.

They also had "Twilight Zone", didn't they?

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Jill Sobule - "I Kissd A Girl"

How well did "Television: Drug Of A Nation" do?

Television: Drug of a Nation was done by Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy. Great song, great record.
smile.gif
It did quite well on alterna radio stations for a short while, but I think the records as a whole didn't sit too well. They were bombastic and radical and tough to swallow for a lot of people. I think the Television song was the only hit the Disposable Heroes had.

I think The Disposable Heroes also opened for U2 at one time... then again *I think* is the key phrase...

Originally posted by ouizy:
Sneaker Pimps are still around, and yes they ditched the "chick." I see them in the Village Voice playing NYC every once in a while. Here are mine:

Bran Van 3000 - Drinking in L.A.
Breeders - Cannonball
Eels - Novacaine for the Soul
EMF - Unbelievable
I Mother Earth - Not Quite Sonic
Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now
Letters to Cleo - Here and Now
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Neds Atomic Dustbin - Grey Cell Green
Our Lady Peace - Starseed
Snow - Informer
Soho - Hippie Chick
Soup Dragons - I'm Free
Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls (although I think they had another 'hit')

Anyone agree with these???

I agree absolutely! But I have some thoughts I'd like to elaborate on here just cuz I think there's probably reasons why some of the bands/songs you stated were one-hit wonders...
wink.gif

EMF - that one hit wonder band. I think the reason why they were a one hit wonder band was because they were the bubblegum band of the Manchester scene. Along with the Soup Dragons...

Jesus Jones - a great talent, highly underrated. He got slated as a bubblegum Manchester knockoff unfortunately even though I personally don't think he was.

Soho - the song Hippie Chick bastardized a great riff from the Smiths How Soon is Now, and that pissed a lot of people off. Especially since How Soon Is Now was, for a lot of people in the 80's alternative scene, a definitive song for their day. I love sampling in songs (big electronic music fan here) but I felt the song Hippie Chick relied too heavily on the Smiths' synth riff to reel people into the song. Then as quickly as Soho came, Soho went. A definitive one-hit winder. Good call!

Now Mazzy Star... Truly underrated, with an excellent and unique sound that defined 90's acid rock. It's too bad that Mazzy Star never took off to greater heights although they did have a strong following. Perhaps people at the time who were getting into grunge weren't ready for the reflective mood that Mazzy Star exuded... who knows, but I agree that Fade Into You was a one-hit. I love Mazzy Star and maybe I'm biased, but I hate to pass them off as a one-hit wonder band. They were just too good. They remind me of The Cowboy Junkies in a lot of ways.

Which reminds me... The Cowboy Junkies had that one-hit remake of Lou Reed's Sweet Jane while the rest of the record Trinity Sessions went highly unrecognized...

Ah, the memories!

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 01-26-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom