Fast Cars (full) reaction???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool song. I already liked it from the clip, which sounded more like a Middle Eastern version of "Carnary in a Coalmine" than the rest of the song...more Spanish. The one line..."I know these fast cars...will do me no good," reminds me so much of some other song or type of song, but I can't really put my finger on it.

It's a great song was in my head all day, i will mention it's got a hint of toxic by Britney spears sent through a buzzsaw in Turkey not to be too controversal

Mercy kicks Fast Cars' ass.

No, their two completely different songs. They can't even be compared because it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Yep you're right Starsgoblue Fast Cars belongs somewhere else. Two suggestions earlier in this thread placed either before All Because Of You or after it. What do you think of those ideas?

Great song. Great guitar and excellent ending. And stop the comparsions with Mercy! They are totally different.

djerdap said:
Great song. Great guitar and excellent ending. And stop the comparsions with Mercy! They are totally different.

The comparison is only natural. These are tracks that lost out regular spots on the album. Maybe this isn't the perfect thread for it, but it makes sense to discuss this.

i like it more than mercy, but it doesnt really fit on the album, but its a good little song. i like it.

StlElevation said:
i like it more than mercy, but it doesnt really fit on the album, but its a good little song. i like it.

i don't understd all this "it doesn't fit on the album"-thing...what does it mean? it's not a concept album and if Vertigo made the cut then Fast Cars could make the cut too (you'd all agree that IF this album has a particular mood then Vertigo hasn't that particular mood whatever it is)

Last edited:
i think "Fast Cars" is a great example of what U2 can do when they relax and not worry about worldwide success....they did this on the last day in the studio.

this song has great lyrics too - probably better than some songs on the album.

definitely glad this won't be on my version of the album - i don't think it would have fit AT ALL with the rest of the tracks.

it sounds like a b-side to me, which is exactly what it should have been.

don't get me wrong, it's a decent tune, but it's not this stellar song that people are claiming it is. it's the excitement of something new. people overexaggerate. once the novelty wears off it'll be seen as just another U2 track.

Fast Cars is a brilliant song, it gives me the same sort of feel as Even Better Than The Real Thing, its a very fluid unforced song, intrigueing , less straightforward lyrics and of course the music is unlike anything they've done before. Oh yeah, the vocals have a good flow to them, I like the little link-ups where you hear edge coming in.

Nine out of Ten!!

Easily the best track not to make the bunch...although it'll be on my CD anyway..

1. Fast Cars
2. Neon Lights
3. Mercy
4. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

Oh, and wtf? This is the song where the album's title comes from........yet it won't be on many of the American CDs.....crazy.

BigMacPhisto said:
Easily the best track not to make the bunch...although it'll be on my CD anyway..

1. Fast Cars
2. Neon Lights
3. Mercy
4. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

Oh, and wtf? This is the song where the album's title comes from........yet it won't be on many of the American CDs.....crazy.

:up:

Last edited:
I don't know if any of you picked this out but:

From Original of the Species:

I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not

And From Fast Cars:

I want the lot of what you’ve got
If what you’ve got can make this stop

I thought that was pretty cool...anyone else agree?

Catchy, catchy, and did I mention catchy?

Very different... definatley has that Middle Eastern sound, or maybe Spanish... I think it could have fit well on Pop, good companion to Miami (what people have against this song I don't get. it's a fun catchy rockin U2 song!). I like the vocal style, Bono's practically rapping - and doing it well! :D once I know the lyrics and pattern this is gonna be FUN to sing along to...kinda RHCP style... and I loooove the way he goes "I knooooow these fast cars will do me no good..."

So where have you guys been putting this on the album? Between A Man and a Woman and Crumbs? I don't think it's really an ending song... on my custom version of the album I put AYGWF and Mercy after Yahweh, which actually fit really well... anyone else have suggestions on where to put our three "extra" tracks?

Well i'm one of those "idiots" who has been holding off on hearing the album until the 23rd when I was goona get my reserved Collector's super-duper edition which now appears NOT to have Fast Cars on it! I'm super disapointed!:mad:
I've been listening and loving the 30 sec looped version and really wanted to hear the whole thing. So now that its for sure that the US will be Fast Car-jacked, could someone please email me the full version! thanks.
nasser117@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom