Fans Playing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
How many fans have joined U2 on stage and played with them on the Vertigo Tour? What songs at what shows?

Thanks if anyone can help answer this.

I've seen...

Laura 9 May 2005 Party Girl, guitar
Alin 22 Oct 2005 Party Girl, guitar
Michael 14 Dec 2005 can't remember, piano
Michael 9 Dec WGRYWH, piano

I'm sure others can start adding to the list...

11-1-2005 los angeles, exit (girl rock band), played out of control

5-18-2005, new jersey, the bank robbers (boy rock band ;), played still haven't found

Liesje said:
Laura 9 May 2005 Party Girl, guitar

I thought she did Party Girl on both the 9th and the 10th?

Also, to add to the list:
- 2005-09-16, Toronto, local band Menew joined U2 for Out Of Control
- 2005-10-29, Dallas, fan on guitar for Angel Of Harlem

Axver said:

I thought she did Party Girl on both the 9th and the 10th?

Also, to add to the list:
- 2005-09-16, Toronto, local band Menew joined U2 for Out Of Control
- 2005-10-29, Dallas, fan on guitar for Angel Of Harlem

Yeah, she did. I was only there for the 7th and the 9th so that's why I omitted it, but yes she played twice.

Philly, thanks for refreshing my memory! All I can remember is Bono shouting "Like a bell! Like a bell!"

my question is this... has he ever pulled someone up on stage to play on something who's completely sucked? 'cause it seems like everyone he pulls up has a clue as to what they're doing.

i know the bankrobbers talked to bono before the show outside the staff entrance, 'cause i was there. has he done the same with everyone that's pulled up on stage? or has he just been lucky?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i know the bankrobbers talked to bono before the show outside the staff entrance, 'cause i was there. has he done the same with everyone that's pulled up on stage? or has he just been lucky?

I'm not sure how often Laura lurks here, but I think this is correct so I'll post what I know regarding her awesome experience and maybe Eep can help out...Laura's group (I think they are the U2 Midwest people) has always had this white fabric Party Girl sign (I first saw it at the tribute band gigs in Cleveland when the RARHOF exhibit opened in 2003). I think before the Chicago shows some of the band members signed it and I think they made smalltalk w/ Bono regarding the correct chord progression. Then during the show on the 9th they had their traditional Party Girl sign over the rail and Laura had quickly made a very small paper sign where she jokingly wrote the chords to the song. Then after Yahweh, Bono motions for the band to wait, he comes over to us and checks out Laura's sign and then says something like "can you play it?" It happened so fast, I don't know what her answer was but John was pulling her on stage and my husband (whose basically the size of John) pushed her up. I was absolutely floored! I've known Laura as a very, very close friend since we were four years old and I knew she'd been learning to play, but her on stage with U2 I did NOT expect! I really don't think she intended for herself to get up and play (not like others who make signs trying to get themselves on stage), they just wanted the song played period, and I'd bet that Laura was just as surprised as us to find herself on stage!

Liesje said:

I'm not sure how often Laura lurks here, but I think this is correct so I'll post what I know regarding her awesome experience and maybe Eep can help out...Laura's group (I think they are the U2 Midwest people) has always had this white fabric Party Girl sign (I first saw it at the tribute band gigs in Cleveland when the RARHOF exhibit opened in 2003). I think before the Chicago shows some of the band members signed it and I think they made smalltalk w/ Bono regarding the correct chord progression. Then during the show on the 9th they had their traditional Party Girl sign over the rail and Laura had quickly made a very small paper sign where she jokingly wrote the chords to the song. Then after Yahweh, Bono motions for the band to wait, he comes over to us and checks out Laura's sign and then says something like "can you play it?" It happened so fast, I don't know what her answer was but John was pulling her on stage and my husband (whose basically the size of John) pushed her up. I was absolutely floored! I've known Laura as a very, very close friend since we were four years old and I knew she'd been learning to play, but her on stage with U2 I did NOT expect! I really don't think she intended for herself to get up and play (not like others who make signs trying to get themselves on stage), they just wanted the song played period, and I'd bet that Laura was just as surprised as us to find herself on stage!

It was rather surprising. I think Edge was just as surprised as he looked slightly agitated that Bono was doing it. Obviously the rest of the band wasnt expecting it and neither was she as she was clearly nervous and struggled with alot of the chords. I certainly wouldnt have been able to do it. Pulled up in front of 20k worth of people, no thanks! :laugh: 2nd night it was obviously planned out a bit more as the band worked on it in soundcheck that day.

Blue Room said:

It was rather surprising. I think Edge was just as surprised as he looked slightly agitated that Bono was doing it. Obviously the rest of the band wasnt expecting it and neither was she as she was clearly nervous and struggled with alot of the chords. I certainly wouldnt have been able to do it. Pulled up in front of 20k worth of people, no thanks! :laugh: 2nd night it was obviously planned out a bit more as the band worked on it in soundcheck that day.

:yes: She did struggle in some parts but yeah in her defense she did not intend to play the song herself and if you listen to my bootleg (from on the floor where we were standing, where she is playing) you can't hear ANYTHING but screaming and my husband singing the song louder than Bono. Without rehearsing and proper earpieces I think she deserves a lot of credit for doing as well as she did.

my question is this... has he ever pulled someone up on stage to play on something who's completely sucked? 'cause it seems like everyone he pulls up has a clue as to what they're doing.

I thought there was a guy at one of the Canadien Elevation shows that totally froze and couldn't play the song.

If I recall correctly it's someone who posts here but his name escapes me know, maybe Arun?

I have the show on VHS and remember feeling really bad for him, (not that I could do better).

Liesje said:

:yes: She did struggle in some parts but yeah in her defense she did not intend to play the song herself and if you listen to my bootleg (from on the floor where we were standing, where she is playing) you can't hear ANYTHING but screaming and my husband singing the song louder than Bono. Without rehearsing and proper earpieces I think she deserves a lot of credit for doing as well as she did.

Oh, I'm not cutting on her. Like I said, I couldnt have done it.

my question is this... has he ever pulled someone up on stage to play on something who's completely sucked?

Nine words for you:

Joshua Tree and Lovetown tours. People Get Ready. Often.

Back in the old days, before everyone started bringing signs and hanging their boobs out to get on stage, Bono used to randomly ask if anyone could play guitar (this happened frequently during the 'mass cult' that was the Unforgettable Fire Tour, usually for "Knockin' On Heaven's Door").

Inevitably, some lucky sod with zero guitar experience would be pulled from the crowd and then undergo a quick 20 second guitar lesson from Bono and Edge, usually something along the lines of "put your left hand here and start strumming with your right".

Edge would cover for him and off we'd go.

Didn't matter if the dude could play or not, not many of us had ever seen anything like that before. Pictures of such moments made the next day's newspaper reviews.

Another reason why fans back then already considered U2 the greatest live band in the world.

Last edited:
nothing tops oakland in 01 when that scott guy got up and hijacked the guitar and started playing sort of homecoming...U2 had been trotting out the people get ready schtick for 14 years, so it was time to have someone get up there and take over and play a U2 song we wanted to hear...Think that threw them off a bit, but we got the rare and stunning spontanous u2 moment!

Yeah, that was awesome.

I was standing right next to Scott at the back of the Heart when Bono pulled him onstage. I'm glad he didn't pick me, since I can only play the tambourine, the triangle and those click-clack things.

I remember Bono looking pissed when Scott started playing "ASOH", I think he wanted to do another number, but Edge had this huge surprised grin on his face.

All us oldtimers were beside ourselves when we recognized the song, what a trip.

Liesje said:

I'm not sure how often Laura lurks here, but I think this is correct so I'll post what I know regarding her awesome experience and maybe Eep can help out... I really don't think she intended for herself to get up and play (not like others who make signs trying to get themselves on stage), they just wanted the song played period, and I'd bet that Laura was just as surprised as us to find herself on stage!

So true! All we wanted was for them to play the song and then all of a sudden my friend gets onstage to play it twice - crazy!

We had the sign on the 7th with the chords on paper as well. They all saw it but did nothing - although Edge gave us a HUGE smile when he saw it. But it wasn't until the 9th that they actually did something. I still love how Bono was ready to bring Edge in to play the solo and then Laura just played it all by herself. :cool:

aaaah, memories! I've shown my vid to my dear old grannie and she starts smiling and clapping and says "oooo you kids sound like you're having soooo much fun! I love this song Party Girl!" :lol:

eep said:

So true! All we wanted was for them to play the song and then all of a sudden my friend gets onstage to play it twice - crazy!

We had the sign on the 7th with the chords on paper as well. They all saw it but did nothing - although Edge gave us a HUGE smile when he saw it. But it wasn't until the 9th that they actually did something. I still love how Bono was ready to bring Edge in to play the solo and then Laura just played it all by herself. :cool:

Did they (Bono) mention something to her about doing it again before the May 10th show? Because at soundcheck they were definately planning to do it that night.

Blue Room said:

Did they (Bono) mention something to her about doing it again before the May 10th show? Because at soundcheck they were definately planning to do it that night.

Nope. She had no idea about the 10th. I brought the sign in again, but this time we didn't bring the chords. We still wanted the band to play it for Bono's birthday.

We met Bono before the show and John Sampson joked that she should have been at soundcheck to rehearse it. Then before the show, a couple of other crew members mentioned things about practicing and that sort of thing. Very weird at the time, but after she was brought up again it all made sense.

Axver said:

Nine words for you:

Joshua Tree and Lovetown tours. People Get Ready. Often.
I think it was the first Lovetown show in Rotterdam on the 5th of Januari 1990, the duration of People Get Ready was almost 10 minutes because of several people said they could play guitar but couldn't play a note. In which Bono responded near the end of the line of people: "The next one who's not telling me the truth is gonna need an ambulance". And then a guy came up and luckily for him he could play the guitar ;)

One of my favorite moments of fans on stage, that performance, the song is quiet for about 5 or 6 minutes in the middle :lmao:

OpperGoeroe said:
One of my favorite moments of fans on stage, that performance, the song is quiet for about 5 or 6 minutes in the middle :lmao:

Hahahaha! That's hilarious.

Who was that poor sap? Did you guys start punching him after the show?

4U2Play said:

Hahahaha! That's hilarious.

Who was that poor sap? Did you guys start punching him after the show?
Hehe, I wasn't there unfortunately ;)

I uploaded the performance:
http://rapid share.com/files/8258414/09_-__People_Get_Ready .html

It's really funny.

"Is rock and roll alive or dead in Holland or what?" :lmao:

I was the guy in Honolulu who played "Wild Horses on Piano"....

this was my 2nd time up too....

the first one was great, but there was only one part you could really hear me (playing Edge's solo)...and then the end got really embarressing because Bono was trying to direct me and I couldn't understand what he was saying...

Honolulu was MUCH better!!! :)
Plus, it's one of my all time favorite songs...but so is Yahweh.

Michael
mikeisi @ AOL.com

michaelwmitchel said:
I was the guy in Honolulu who played "Wild Horses on Piano"....

this was my 2nd time up too....

the first one was great, but there was only one part you could really hear me (playing Edge's solo)...and then the end got really embarressing because Bono was trying to direct me and I couldn't understand what he was saying...

Honolulu was MUCH better!!! :)
Plus, it's one of my all time favorite songs...but so is Yahweh.

Michael
mikeisi @ AOL.com
You were the guy in St. Louis playing piano on Yahweh too? That was great! Absolutely, the end was awesome. And Wild Horses was absolutely cool too, one of my favorite songs.

I was surprised that Bono remembered most of the lyrics of Wild Horses, unforgettable experiences for you!

zoney! said:
Arun did not freeze up....

It was fun to see Laura and Arun in the GA line in Hawaii...two "half rock stars" :D

So...put together are they one rock star? :wink:

To think, I had two half rock stars staying in the hotel room with me.....

If the fan can play, I like the thing. If they can't, or it takes ages, it annoys me.

Myself and others pay good money to see U2 perform, not U2 & Musically Challenged Guests. When you think "shit man, we could have had Electric Co, but instead we get a fan on stage playing a pathetic rendition of "knocking on heaven's door" you know what to do.

So in summary, when it works = great. When it fails = BOO!

Back
Top Bottom