Fan reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFly40

The Fly
I've noticed a lot of mixed fan reviews for the Vertigo Tour on various boards around the web. Seems like most first timers love the show but a good amount of the veterans seem to think the show is decent but is lacking something.

Also, it seems there was A LOT more excitement about having GA tix during the Elevation tour. People going crazy because they were getting close to the band members. That doesn't seem to be happening as much this time around, unless you get into the elipse.

I don't remember hearing much if any negative comments about the Elevation tour. Was it more well received then the Vertigo tour?

I'm going to get flamed, but the mixed reviews you read are because there is something missing from the shows. The music is great, the new songs play well, but I think it has to do with the flow of the setlist. The African theme, the anti-war theme, don't seem to take off with the audience. The infamous Streets segue, red background, blinding lights is missing. The Boy songs (which I personally love) don't really connect with newer fans.

Personally, I like the tour...but I can see where it misses as compared to Elevation.

Last edited:
For me it's the novelty factor -- the heart was innovative and cool, at least to me, and had a huge wow factor. This time out, same concept, different shape, less wow factor.

Songs, order of songs, this tour compares quite well, IMO.

The new material is playing very well, though I can understand the sentiment of going back too far to Boy turning some off a bit.

I really had a great time at Den 2; and it compared quite well to Elevation for me.

Those of you underwhelmed that have any spare tickets can certainly send them my way :wink:

BWU2Buffs said:
though I can understand the sentiment of going back too far to Boy turning some off a bit.

I don't understand it. Those songs rock! Even first time listeners should love them! Of course, IMHO!

I just came back from the May 9th and 10th shows in Chicago.

On the 9th, I had seats - 300 Level - but close to the stage (right on the side). I felt the show was very well done. I saw the Elevation tour in Chicago first too, with seats a level lower, but farther from the stage. IMO, the two concerts were similar in experience - in fact, I think Bono sounded better this time.

On the 10th I had a GA ticket. My friends got normal seats, so I waited outside all day by myself. That was fine - gave me a chance to talk to other U2 fans. I was #170.

When it got time to go in, on the last tour #170 was a sure thing guarantee spot in the heart! If you didn't want the heart, it was a sure thing to get a great spot by the railing outside. Oddly enough, this was not true this time. Even though I went into the U2.com members line, I'm not sure that helped me. I wasn't chosen to get into the ellipse, which was disappointing. And by the time I got to the floor, all the railing spots were gone. I was only a level back, and being tall, this is good. However, I felt as if I was on the "outside looking in". Worse, some super short girls asked if they could stand in front of me (pushing me another level back). I took pity on them and moved, but in the future, I won't. If you are short, too bad. I recommend not getting GA tickets or getting in line extra early. I refuse to move back to accommodate your lack of height.

Worse than this though, was this woman - Elisa from Italy - who kept holding up her stupid signs (one saying her name, which is why I recall it so well, another asking Bono to pick her up, etc.). She'd hold them up at the worse possible moments - not when Bono necessarily walked by, but during a song, like "Bullet the Blue Sky" when Bono is in character and couldn't care less about some woman saying "pick me up". She kept holding these signs up blocking everyone's view - we repeatedly tapped her on the shoulder. If you are on the floor, I have some advice: DO NOT BRING A SIGN! It will block people's views. I don't care if it helps you get on stage - think about the people around you who can't see now because of your selfishness! :madspit:

In other words, I wasn't enthralled at all by GA this time. I loved being in the heart on the last tour, but hated being on the floor this time. Even though I was close, it felt like something was missing.

As for the shows... I already said May 9th was great. May 10th was also fantastic. However, I was disappointed that U2 performed "Vertigo" a second time. I'm positive they did this for the DVD and with the increased energy level of that performance and from the crowd, that performance may very well make the DVD. But I was fully expecting U2 to come back and do "40" if nothing else. Many people "booed" when they didn't, and I don't blame them.

To summarize: For me GA in the heart is great. I imagine the same is true in the ellipse. Being on the floor sucked. Maybe if I was right on the railing, I'd like it. I'm still debating if it was worth waiting outside all day for that spot. In fact, I'm debating if it's worth going to a lot more GA shows! Some I will without question, but others... hmmm... Bono's voice is utterly fantastic now, however, I don't think he's engaging the crowd quite as much as before. I also think the more obscure "Boy" songs - as great as they are - do not equal the utter excitement and power of "Until the End of the World" and "I Will Follow". I also feel that U2 should mix things up a tad bit more. The two shows (May 9th and 10th) were very similar until the very end. There's nothing wrong with throwing in a "Bad" or "Gloria". Given that fans are paying $165+ for tickets, I think U2 should add in one or two more songs.

As of this moment, I enjoyed the shows, but I have to say the Elevation tour was a bit better.

Last edited:
I won't. If you are short, too bad. I recommend not getting GA tickets or getting in line extra early. I refuse to move back to accommodate your lack of height.

:up: Best quote of the day!!

LOL! I was nice once - it got me nothing. I'm not moving "out of the way" for someone who comes strolling in late (after I waited outside all day) because they are short. I have a friend, who is rather tall, who refuses to get GA tickets because he feels he's not tall enough. That's good advice. The worst part is, I moved out of the way for these girls - putting them closer - and they didn't even buy me a beer! This will not hapen again.

i have been to 3 shows, 2 on the floor.

in seattle i was in the ellipse, second row. it was the greatest concert experience i have ever had.

in vancouver i was outside the ellipse, but in a close spot--second row right in the center, on the tip of the ellipse. this experience was not so great. it was very, very rowdy in there and i spent a good part of the show trying not to get crushed. it is worth it when bono is 2 inches from you, but the rest of the show, i wished i had a seat.

as far as the music, i love what they are doing. bono's voice sounds great. and the setlist whiners bore me because i think the message they are making with the song collection is pretty impactful.
then again, i heard my two favorite songs--gloria and bad--twice each out of my three shows, so complaining about the setlist, for me, would be crazy.

all in all, the tour has a different vibe compared to elevation, but the shows have been equal (for me) in quality and emotional impact.

Back
Top Bottom