Extra Tracks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Saw this on the album's wikipedia page:

Deluxe edition bonus tracks[2]
No. Title Length
12. "Lucifer's Hands"
13. "The Crystal Ballroom"
14. "The Troubles" (Alternative version)
15. "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight" (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)
Vinyl release bonus tracks[2]
No. Title Length
16. "The Crystal Ballroom" (remix by Tchad Blake)

How can we get access to these tracks?

Saw this on the album's wikipedia page:

Deluxe edition bonus tracks[2]
No. Title Length
12. "Lucifer's Hands"
13. "The Crystal Ballroom"
14. "The Troubles" (Alternative version)
15. "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight" (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)
Vinyl release bonus tracks[2]
No. Title Length
16. "The Crystal Ballroom" (remix by Tchad Blake)

How can we get access to these tracks?

There will also be a selection of acoustic tracks when the real album drops. We don't know how many, but all told we're really looking at a double album.

I really want the original version of Glastonbury. Volcano's probably a better song, but I'd really like to hear a studio version of the original.

Can't wait to hear the remixes of Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby, as those two are becoming my favorites on the album.

I wonder if Lucifer's Hands and The Crystal Ballroom are sneak peaks at stuff from Songs of Experience :hmm:

This is good news. Hopefully this version of "The Troubles" will allow for a longer guitar outro instead of cutting it off so abruptly!!! For such a great track I just cannot for the life of me understand why they faded it so fast?!?!?

Anyone catch this bit in one of the Billboard articles about SOI:

Retailers contacted by Billboard estimate the album would have achieved first-week sales between 450,000 and 500,000 units with a normal release, but in light of the iTunes exclusive, they predict first-week sales of about 150,000 units.

U2 and Universal Music Group will face some hurdles due to disgruntled retailers. Sources say Target has a policy of not carrying any title that was first released to digital retail. Target refused to initially carry Beyonce's self-titled album following her surprise iTunes exclusive, and Amazon withheld the usual prime page placement. To entice retailers, Universal is offering four tracks that iTunes will not have until November, according to sources. Some retailers could walk away with more tracks, as sources say Universal has three additional tracks for select retailers.

Is that another 3 additional tracks from the additional tracks we already know about?! Sounds like it to me.

I also don't see the album listed on the likes of Amazon yet. That Billboard article also talked about retailers boycotting some albums that had digital only releases first, particularly Target with Beyoncé.

Anyone catch this bit in one of the Billboard articles about SOI:

Retailers contacted by Billboard estimate the album would have achieved first-week sales between 450,000 and 500,000 units with a normal release, but in light of the iTunes exclusive, they predict first-week sales of about 150,000 units.

U2 and Universal Music Group will face some hurdles due to disgruntled retailers. Sources say Target has a policy of not carrying any title that was first released to digital retail. Target refused to initially carry Beyonce's self-titled album following her surprise iTunes exclusive, and Amazon withheld the usual prime page placement. To entice retailers, Universal is offering four tracks that iTunes will not have until November, according to sources. Some retailers could walk away with more tracks, as sources say Universal has three additional tracks for select retailers.

Is that another 3 additional tracks from the additional tracks we already know about?! Sounds like it to me.

I also don't see the album listed on the likes of Amazon yet. That Billboard article also talked about retailers boycotting some albums that had digital only releases first, particularly Target with Beyoncé.

Nice

We really could end up with virtually a double album in a months time, and that's before Songs of Experience!

If the new tracks didn't have weird titles, I would have predicted that they were the big stand out smash hit singles SOI was kind of missing. But since they do, I imagine they're just b-side type tracks, probably not as good as anything on the album.

I'll still be buying it though.

The tracks saved for specific retailers might help explain why they don't yet know how many acoustic tracks will be on the album.

I just want a deluxe edition with everything. I don't care who I buy it from, within reason I don't even care about the price. I just want 2 discs with all of the songs on them.

We already know some of the lyrics of Crystal Ballroom:

“Life begins with the first glance, the first kiss at the first dance, all of us are wondering why we’re here, in the Crystal Ballroom underneath the chandelier . . . We are the ghosts of love and we haunt this place, in the ballroom of crystal lights, everyone is here with me tonight, everyone but you.”

We already know some of the lyrics of Crystal Ballroom:

“Life begins with the first glance, the first kiss at the first dance, all of us are wondering why we’re here, in the Crystal Ballroom underneath the chandelier . . . We are the ghosts of love and we haunt this place, in the ballroom of crystal lights, everyone is here with me tonight, everyone but you.”

Knowing the content, I really look forward to this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...1927184?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bono leans in to my face so our noses are almost touching, and he sings, unaccompanied, “Life begins with the first glance, the first kiss at the first dance, all of us are wondering why we’re here, in the Crystal Ballroom underneath the chandelier . . . We are the ghosts of love and we haunt this place, in the ballroom of crystal lights, everyone is here with me tonight, everyone but you.” It is sean-nós in shades.
“I need to tell you something really weird about this song,” he says. “It’s called The Crystal Ballroom, which used to be the name of McGonagles in South Anne Street [now knocked down]. A whole generation of Dubliners would go to the Crystal Ballroom for dances, and many couples first met there. My mother and father used to dance together in the Crystal Ballroom, so that song I just sang you, which hasn’t been released yet, is me imagining I’m on the stage of McGonagles with this new band I’m in called U2 – and we did play a lot of our important early gigs there. And I look out into the audience and I see my mother and father dancing romantically together to U2 on the stage.”
Bono takes a deep breath and, speaking slowly, says, “I have just realised that my mother died 40 years ago yesterday, and here we are today playing our new album about Dublin, which is about my family and what happened to me as a teenager.
“My mother died when she was at her father’s funeral. She had a cerebral aneurysm. I was only 14. And in this song I am singing, “Everyone is here tonight, everyone but you.” And it’s me wanting to see my mother dance again in the Crystal Ballroom and for her to see what happened to her son.”

Last edited:
All these extra tracks are so exciting. It seems like not very long ago only the hopeless optimists were dreaming about a double album, and the voice of reason was repeatedly bonking on the head with "More than 12 tracks will never, never happen. End of story." And here were are getting not only two albums but one of them is essentially a double. Unbelievable. I haven't seen her here much but I hope that CK is crowing in triumph.

Bono’s Dublin: ‘A long way from where I live’

Bono leans in to my face so our noses are almost touching, and he sings, unaccompanied, “Life begins with the first glance, the first kiss at the first dance, all of us are wondering why we’re here, in the Crystal Ballroom underneath the chandelier . . . We are the ghosts of love and we haunt this place, in the ballroom of crystal lights, everyone is here with me tonight, everyone but you.” It is sean-nós in shades.
“I need to tell you something really weird about this song,” he says. “It’s called The Crystal Ballroom, which used to be the name of McGonagles in South Anne Street [now knocked down]. A whole generation of Dubliners would go to the Crystal Ballroom for dances, and many couples first met there. My mother and father used to dance together in the Crystal Ballroom, so that song I just sang you, which hasn’t been released yet, is me imagining I’m on the stage of McGonagles with this new band I’m in called U2 – and we did play a lot of our important early gigs there. And I look out into the audience and I see my mother and father dancing romantically together to U2 on the stage.”
Bono takes a deep breath and, speaking slowly, says, “I have just realised that my mother died 40 years ago yesterday, and here we are today playing our new album about Dublin, which is about my family and what happened to me as a teenager.
“My mother died when she was at her father’s funeral. She had a cerebral aneurysm. I was only 14. And in this song I am singing, “Everyone is here tonight, everyone but you.” And it’s me wanting to see my mother dance again in the Crystal Ballroom and for her to see what happened to her son.”

Even READING that I've got something in my eye. Could be a real heartstring-tugger, that one; I've often wished to see all my departed relatives (I'm all on my own now) just so they could see how I'm doing, and that I'm happy after years and years of causing them worry :D

Why are people calling it a double album? This second disc apparently has only 2 new songs. It's not like we're getting 20 new songs. Acoustic versions and alternate takes/remixes are nice, but that doesn't account for a "double album." It's a bonus disc.

Why are people calling it a double album? This second disc apparently has only 2 new songs. It's not like we're getting 20 new songs. Acoustic versions and alternate takes/remixes are nice, but that doesn't account for a "double album." It's a bonus disc.
:up:

Lykke Li said in an interview the other day that she recorded an original version of Trouble, then came back twelve months later to re-record because the band had totally changed the key of the song. I think that this original version is the "Alternative version". Notice it does not say "Alternative mix". Cool huh?

Even READING that I've got something in my eye. Could be a real heartstring-tugger, that one; I've often wished to see all my departed relatives (I'm all on my own now) just so they could see how I'm doing, and that I'm happy after years and years of causing them worry :D

:yes: Sounds like a heart-breaking song.

The Edge is here too. He flicks through his phone, finds The Crystal Ballroom and presses play. There is silence in the room as it plays. After a long pause a clearly upset Bono whispers, “Her spirit was with us today.”

Back
Top Bottom