Europe is getting Zooropa & Pop songs according to Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
djerdap said:

Wrong, wrong and wrong.
Why do you want a U2 show to be like a Broadway musical? We need variation, spontaneity, adding songs to the setlists that have been gone for awhile, keeping the shows fresh...
And that you *hate* Pop and Zooropa, that's clearly your problem. The majority of the European audience and this board will not agree with you.

Who rattled your cage????

I do hate those albums and I am entitled to do so if thats my choice. And I dont have a problem thanks for asking.
I have been to practically every U2 Tour for the last 24 years, and no I dont like everything they do.

Whats fresh about POP?????
Seen it done it bought the tshirt.

I am all for rotation of the set but they have so much better songs to choose from , if they want to add one or two fine, but I saw the POP tour and I dont want to see it again. I would rather hear songs from UF AB and earlier. But thats only my opinion. Just because its different to yours doesnt make it wrong.

Just dont slate me for having my own opinion if you dont like it tough!!
Get over it!

:ohmy:

Last edited:
I really sincerely hope that they don't play Discotheque - their worst track ever. Actually I think they should try to avoid not ruining the tour with the anti-rock tracks of Zooropa and POP.

Well like I said I'm probably just bitter they decided not to play any Zooropa or Pop songs in the US.

If Adam had said they were going to play those songs in Europe because they are great songs that deserved to get played live, then that would have been cool. But saying they were going to be playing them because they sold better there....I dont know, for some reason that just doesnt sound right to me, but maybe thats just me.

either way I'm looking forward to hearing the boots.

Bono's Tart said:

Who rattled your cage????

I do hate those albums and I am entitled to do so if thats my choice. And I dont have a problem thanks for asking.
I have been to practically every U2 Tour for the last 24 years, and no I dont like everything they do.

Whats fresh about POP?????
Seen it done it bought the tshirt.

I am all for rotation of the set but they have so much better songs to choose from , if they want to add one or two fine, but I saw the POP tour and I dont want to see it again. I would rather hear songs from UF AB and earlier. But thats only my opinion. Just because its different to yours doesnt make it wrong.

Just dont slate me for having my own opinion if you dont like it tough!!
Get over it!

:ohmy:

Whoa! Take it easy there... Don't mean to insult you or anything, I just disagree with you...

Yeah, I knew Gloria was played on MTV, but I don't think it exactly lit up the charts. Besides, that was over 20 years ago. As for Zoo Station, it just slipped my mind.

Oh please, bring out Discotheque and Dirty Day. :sexywink:

"From father to son
In one life has begun
A work that's never done
Father to son"

This is cool news. I would still wait until you see the actual songs being done before getting too excited though. At least its Adam saying it. If it was Bono I would take it with a definate grain of salt.

Songs I believe are coming for sure for Europe and maybe beyond.

-Please (count on it)
-Stay (acoustic unfortunately)
-Gone (count on it, this is the one I'm surprised hasnt been done already)
-Discotheque (not for sure, but likely given what Adam said)
-Staring At The Sun (acoustic unfortunately)
-Electrical Storm (hit in Europe, makes sense)
-Crumbs From Your Table (its coming, will be played in Europe and beyond most likely)

Long shots but possible:

-Numb (it was single and a semi hit)
-Lemon (I just dont think they will do it, not sure Bono can handle the falsetto, but certainly possible if sung differently.)

U2Man said:
I really sincerely hope that they don't play Discotheque - their worst track ever. Actually I think they should try to avoid not ruining the tour with the anti-rock tracks of Zooropa and POP.

Zooropa and Pop are anti-rock? :scratch: They have a hell of a lot more rock 'n' roll attitude than anything on All That You Can't Leave Behind.

I don't complain about the inclusion of Beautiful Day on the setlists even though I never liked it that much, so I don't see why some folks can't be more tolerant of U2 playing a few songs from the '90s that don't happen to be from Achtung Baby.

If they swap the Zoo Station slot, in other words Zoo Station or Until The End Of The World, for Mofo, I will be in eternal joy.

Mofo deserves another run, goddamit.

Chizip said:
Well like I said I'm probably just bitter they decided not to play any Zooropa or Pop songs in the US.

If Adam had said they were going to play those songs in Europe because they are great songs that deserved to get played live, then that would have been cool. But saying they were going to be playing them because they sold better there....I dont know, for some reason that just doesnt sound right to me, but maybe thats just me.

either way I'm looking forward to hearing the boots.

maybe their line of thinking is that they want to put on a show that the crowd is going to enjoy. the fact that pop and zooropa sold better in europe may simply be an indicator that the audiences there will enjoy those songs and react to those songs more positively in a live setting. i dont see a problem with putting on a show you think the crowd will enjoy (unless we're talking about only playing huge staples, but that's a completely different topic).

i just wish they wouldn't make it so black & white, ie pop and zooropa set ONLY in europe and nothing from those 2 albums at all in the first US legs. playing more pop and zooropa songs on a continent that liked those albums more is completely logical; but throw a few of those songs into the set over here too...there are plenty of americans (looks at self) who loved those albums!

14th of August will become local holiday here in Lisbon if they play Do You Feel Loved or Dirty Day … at least for me

It'd make sense to have two varying shows bewteen America and Europe, I still think when the Vertigo Tour DVD goes on sale there will be an arena show and a stadium show in a double pack.

It wouldn't really work if we had the same show twice with some minor differences except it being outside. I say bring on a different show for Europe and bring back more Pop and Zooropa songs, outwith the obvious ones, bring on Dirty Day, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo things like that. I kinda doubt it, but it'd be great.

Lo-Fi said:
It'd make sense to have two varying shows bewteen America and Europe, I still think when the Vertigo Tour DVD goes on sale there will be an arena show and a stadium show in a double pack.

It wouldn't really work if we had the same show twice with some minor differences except it being outside. I say bring on a different show for Europe and bring back more Pop and Zooropa songs, outwith the obvious ones, bring on Dirty Day, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo things like that. I kinda doubt it, but it'd be great.
The Stones' last tour DVD had 3 different shows of different scales and the arena show was only different in size... The setlist was almost identical...

Then again; The Stones' setlist hardly ever changes :-D

It does make sense indeed... 2 shows, 2 very different set's...

djerdap said:
Great news!
My wishlist:
Gone
Please
Last Night on Earth
Lemon
DIRTY DAY!!!

Just noticed this on atu2 blog:
"Talking with Dennis Sheehan, fans in Europe can expect a bigger stage and more songs added to the setlist. He said that the band has been practicing an acoustic set to add to the stadium shows."

I'm OK with the acoustic set, as long as the full band is involved. No more Bono-Edge Staring at the Sun, please...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:shocked:

This all sounds very cool to me. I love the AB/Zooropa/Pop stuff.

I guess for the fans like us, who have ready access to nearly all the live gigs performed already, it'll be nice to see a slightly different setlist, particularly where they're only playing one show in a city.

I think they like the acoustic sets in stadiums because it gives a (in my impression false) sense of intimacy.

I don't think it works, btw don't I think the set-list will be very different, in that I don't see Yahweh surviving in it's present form...I think Crumbs will replace it. Running to stand still may drop out, and I'm not sure if Bullet will stay, Pride maybe go as well. I'm not sure Elevation will get the same response over here, it seemed to be bigger in the states. Regardless of people's views on the US leg setlists, there's not a whole load of fat there to be cut.

popshopper said:
I think they like the acoustic sets in stadiums because it gives a (in my impression false) sense of intimacy.

I don't think it works, btw don't I think the set-list will be very different, in that I don't see Yahweh surviving in it's present form...I think Crumbs will replace it. Running to stand still may drop out, and I'm not sure if Bullet will stay, Pride maybe go as well. I'm not sure Elevation will get the same response over here, it seemed to be bigger in the states. Regardless of people's views on the US leg setlists, there's not a whole load of fat there to be cut.
Running To Stand Still and Bullet The Blue Sky will definately stay! These songs (together with Vertigo, One, Streets etc.) are the frameset of the show! And Bullet The Blue Sky has been played at évery show for over 15 years!

Only songs like Zoo Station, Pride, The Fly, Yahweh and Elevation may be replaced...

Neilz said:

Running To Stand Still and Bullet The Blue Sky will definately stay! These songs (together with Vertigo, One, Streets etc.) are the frameset of the show! And Bullet The Blue Sky has been played at évery show for over 15 years!

Only songs like Zoo Station, Pride, The Fly, Yahweh and Elevation may be replaced...

Maybe Please could replace Bullet in Europe, it'd have a similar (and fresh) approach to that segment of the show. It's one of u2's most under played and yet powerful songs (full band version).

As you said, it's been played since the Joshua Tree Tour, it's time for a fresh approach to the 'politcal' section of the show. I'm sure they could work something round Please as a corner stone of that section of the show.

Personally I want The Fly kept in, love it!

Last edited:
Lo-Fi said:

Maybe Please could replace Bullet in Europe, it'd have a similar (and fresh) approach to that segment of the show. It's one of u2's most under played and yet powerful songs (full band version).

I'd rather see Bullet removed from the set list and a fresh approach to the 'politcal' section of the show looked at. I'm sure they could work something round Please as a corner stone of that section of the show.

:up:

I don't see Lemon happening-- even with Bono's voice being at its best since Zoo TV, I think Lemon is probably out of his range. I'd say most any of the other Zooropa and POP songs that were played regularly on those tours is fair game though.

I would like to see Bullet, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, etc. go away. They are all great songs but they just seem kind of tired in the set-- they need to replace them with something a little more fresh.

Didn't they do the anti guns BTBS thingy in Europe on Elevation? So they might just aswell not change bullet-rtss.

TBH I'd like to see Pride go. I know, i know, they "have" to play it, but its just had its day for me, doesn't feel fresh and in the current line-up stands out as the weakest link.

Nisse said:
Didn't they do the anti guns BTBS thingy in Europe on Elevation? So they might just aswell not change bullet-rtss.

They definately didn't do the anti-gun thingy in Europe during Elevation. If I recall they changed it to some other thingy more relevant to Europe.

If the band plays Zooropa I am going to buy a plane ticket to the next city they are in and break my way into the stadium.

I wonder how they're gonna deal with the daylight issue at the gigs, and how this might affect the setlist also.

Usually, when U2 do UK stadium shows, its August time. This time around they'll be playing during some of the longest days of the year (ie daylight hours) in the UK, where it will still be light around 10pm. So I wonder if they'll end up moving those songs that are big in terms of the light show (COBL / Vertigo) to later on in the set?

I also vaguely seem to remember Bono saying on the last tour something along the lines of the band going all mega next time at the European shows, as they were a bit neglected in comparison to the States. So maybe we might get a 2.5 hour show or even longer?

ramblin rose said:

They definately didn't do the anti-gun thingy in Europe during Elevation. If I recall they changed it to some other thingy more relevant to Europe.

Well, whilst they didn't play the Charlton Heston NRA clip, which is obviously more of an American issue, they did do a name and shame clip on worlds biggest Arms traders, which if I remember correctly were the USA, UK and France amongst others, and so essentially it was still an anti-gun piece. The Mark Chapman finale to Bullet The Blue Sky was still continued into Europe too.

I personally would like to see Bullet stay, its part in the live set is what Bono refers to as 'the heart of darkness' which usually revolves around that song, and has included Bad, Running To Stand Still, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Please, and for me has been an essential part of the U2 live experience over the years. But hey thats just me :wink:

Back
Top Bottom