Does Bono still smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about quitting, didn't the articles on the band say he cut down smoking ?

He (and Larry) were smoking as recent as Hawaii, but we can always hope they have quit since.

bonocomet said:
He (and Larry) were smoking as recent as Hawaii, but we can always hope they have quit since.

I don't remember hearing anyone mention that, what have you heard or seen?

pattip2000 said:

I don't remember hearing anyone mention that, what have you heard or seen?

From interferencers who saw and met them. In Hawaii Babydoll, kafrun and Carmelu2fan sat at an outdoor balcony right next to Bono where he was smoking. And I think it was Gluey who met Larry in New Zealand when he came outside his hotel to smoke. I hope I got all the names and places straight. :uhoh:

tpsreports2424 said:
I remember someone hearing someone talk about on this site of how they saw Bono with another guy at the hotel lobby and he was smoking..

I remember reading/hearing this as well. Ironic, since smoking in banned in public areas (hotel lobbies, bars, clubs, restaurants, other public areas) in Honolulu. You'd think Bono's learned his lesson after the incident in Dublin, but I guess not! :wink:

bonocomet said:

From interferencers who saw and met them. In Hawaii Babydoll, kafrun and Carmelu2fan sat at an outdoor balcony right next to Bono where he was smoking. And I think it was Gluey who met Larry in New Zealand when he came outside his hotel to smoke. I hope I got all the names and places straight. :uhoh:

:ohmy:

Zootlesque said:

:lmao:

It's too late. His voice is already shot! :wink:

I still hope and pray he quits more so for his overall health not just for the sake of his voice. Ofcourse I want his voice to be as good as possible but honestly that man could sound like a toad and I would still pay to hear him sing. :reject: I love who Bono is not just as an artist, but how he lives his life. Imperfection, dorkiness and all.
Plus, he has some important work to finish! Like ummmm.... the new album!! HELLO. :)

.......Running for cover as the sarcasm begins. :):)

bonocomet said:

Yep, that's right. He was definitely smoking cigars, so he's obviously not kicked the habit entirely :shrug:

Liesje said:

I remember reading/hearing this as well. Ironic, since smoking in banned in public areas (hotel lobbies, bars, clubs, restaurants, other public areas) in Honolulu. You'd think Bono's learned his lesson after the incident in Dublin, but I guess not! :wink:

Umm what happened in Dublin? Someone please fill me in...clueless here :banghead:

I think he has really cut down smoking. Bono's voice is brilliant now, so I hope he takes care.
I think he learned his lesson from the late 90s where his voice was really bad. Not only because of the smoking, there were other factors as well, but the smokes surely didn't help.
I heard and read that he doesn't smoke on show days when they are on tour, so that's a good sign I guess.
On the other hand, he's under a lot of stress and though we all know it's a bad habit, bad for your health and in his case bad for the voice, it's still understandable to a certain extent that he tries to cope with all the stress by smoking. I know he's intelligent and all, but I have to admit almost all of the really intelligent and very well-educated people I know smoke.

U2girl said:
Does he inhale, though? Or does he just puff the smoke?

Oh, come on. The "Bill Clinton" defense?

Saint Bono smokes. Inhales deeply, I'm sure, as all smokers do. Negatively affects his health, no doubt about it at all. That's what smoking does. And there is no such thing as "not smoking, just puffing"!

Terrible, horrible, nasty habit. I (former smoker, who also happens to be watching close relatives slowly die from smoking as we speak), wish for nothing more than for Bono and Larry to quit (and join Adam and Edge in the "former smokers" club, which I never expected Adam to join, honestly, he was such a hardcore smoker, but that just goes to show you, anyone can do it!).

But let's not create "excuses" as to why it's okay, or worse, "cool" for anyone to smoke. Because it's not.

I cringe every time these kind of threads pop up.

Don't smoke, kiddos. It will kill you early, and painfully. Period.

Ignore the hype and "glamour." Cause neither is involved in the end.

/rant :(

rubberducky said:
What's the use of smoking, if you don't inhale? :)
Just to do something with your hands? :wink:
That's what Bono did in the early 90s, just light a cigarette to keep his hands busy and don't get nervous when people were staring at him.
Later he started to "really" smoke, meaning: inhale.
I smoked quite some time without inhaling, later with inhaling, but not much, today I don't smoke much, only with some wine and/or coffee, so everything is possible.
It's a dumb habit, but people do dumb things all the time.
Every smoker knows exactly what they are doing to their health.
A lot of people who are under a lot of stress are smoking, singers, politicians, everything, even doctors.
I have a lot of friends who smoke, I have no negative feelings towards them and am totally against discrimination, and I won't bash Bono or anybody for smoking.
I just wish he'd end it for the sake of his own health.

bonocomet said:
I think he got caught smoking in his own hotel (The Clarence) didn't he?

in 2004 he got caught smoking in the lobby of the Clarence with the Red Hot Chillipeppers... he apologized and put out his cig... that's all there is...

I do think he still smokes, and he inhales too, and you know what? I wouldn't mind it if he continued to do so!
if it relieves him from stress, then so be it... smoking is less dangerous than alcohol or drugs!

and, I'm one of the few that actually LIKE what smoking did to Bono's voice!

Galeongirl said:
and, I'm one of the few that actually LIKE what smoking did to Bono's voice!

I'm one of them too.

last unicorn said:

I have a lot of friends who smoke, I have no negative feelings towards them and am totally against discrimination, and I won't bash Bono or anybody for smoking.

:up:

Even intolerance is more dangerous than smoking.

Back
Top Bottom