Does anyone else fear for Bono's safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thrillme said:
Makes it all the more touching, when Bono spoke about how Adam stood in front of him at a U2 concert when they had threats against them.

I think even Larry was a little choked up when Bono was telling this.

WHEN WAS THIS?!

I somewhat remember hearing this...

thrillme said:
Makes it all the more touching, when Bono spoke about how Adam stood in front of him at a U2 concert when they had threats against them.

I think even Larry was a little choked up when Bono was telling this.

WHAT?? when was this? i'm both :mad: and :sad: :sad:

well Bono spoke about that in the Conversations book... he said that during the Joshua Tree tour... somewhere in america, they got a serious threat(they had more, but this one got the fbi on it and such) of a guy, Do Not play tonight, and if you decide to play, do NOT play Pride(in the name of love) in the show tonight or I'll blow your head off!
well, and they played the show, during pride, I think it was the middle verse... Bono closed his eyes, and thought about what IF there was a lunatic there with a handgun,.... he decided to ignore his thoughts and sing the song, opened his eyes, and there was adam, standing in front of him...... protecting him for whatever the world wanted to do against him.

I'm a little seriously teary aobut that...like I'm really about to cry...it's a long story, but really I just never like Adam at all until just now...I don't want to sound anything at all when I say this but just don't see how Adam's been in U2 so long if he's an athiest...but at the moment I don't care...I as of this moment harbor not a sigle ill feeling towards Adam whatsoever, and please don't harbor any bad feelings towards me

bono_212 said:
but just don't see how Adam's been in U2 so long if he's an athiest...but at the moment I don't care...I as of this moment harbor not a sigle ill feeling towards Adam whatsoever, and please don't harbor any bad feelings towards me

I don't think Adam is an athiest, he's just not as religious as the rest of the guys. In the early days, the was the only one not in the Shalom church group, and it caused a bit of problem sometimes. Over the years, the other 3 have used faith and religion more in their lives, and are more spiritual, but that doesn't mean someone who isn't quite so 'gung ho' is an athiest, they just deal with their beliefs in a different way.

For example, I have a brother who got real gung ho involved in church, and it caused problems with us that he couldn't make me go and feel the same way he did, but I was never an athiest! I still believed in God and always have! People deal with their faith and feelings differently. So it could be that he did/does believe and just doesn't share their views on everything.

Bono has no bodyguards when he picks up people in his car. Even normal nobody people like us have to worry about picking up stranger in their cars, rich and/or famous people need to worry more about being targeted by kidnappers, killers, or general weirdos. NOBODY should pick up random people in their car, you never know who's weird and what might happen.

Last edited:
I worry about that too.. I would so be his guard! :happy:
There are a lot of people who don't like bono, and let's face it, there are a lot of sick bastards in this world. :(

I love it how approachable bono is, but there is always a risk too.

That always been my favorite story about Adam, and it's one of the reasons he's my favorite member. I'm pretty sure Bono has a quote about it, like, "Adam was literally prepared to take a bullet for me," which is just so selfless. Most bands barely even get along... while U2 members are willing to die for one another. That's why I love love love these boys. So... here's the plan. PLEBA girl human shield + Adam. Bono will be fine.

Bono does worry me a bit about how relaxed he is about security. My best friend and I handed him a package, and he took it without blinking. Obviously I had no intention to kill him, but it would be that easy for some psycho. I love how open he is with fans, but he may need to start being a bit more careful if he's going to continue to be as political.

RocknRollKitty said:

I don't think Adam is an athiest, he's just not as religious as the rest of the guys. In the early days, the was the only one not in the Shalom church group, and it caused a bit of problem sometimes. Over the years, the other 3 have used faith and religion more in their lives, and are more spiritual, but that doesn't mean someone who isn't quite so 'gung ho' is an athiest, they just deal with their beliefs in a different way.

For example, I have a brother who got real gung ho involved in church, and it caused problems with us that he couldn't make me go and feel the same way he did, but I was never an athiest! I still believed in God and always have! People deal with their faith and feelings differently. So it could be that he did/does believe and just doesn't share their views on everything.

Bono has no bodyguards when he picks up people in his car. Even normal nobody people like us have to worry about picking up stranger in their cars, rich and/or famous people need to worry more about being targeted by kidnappers, killers, or general weirdos. NOBODY should pick up random people in their car, you never know who's weird and what might happen.

thank you for clearing that up for me, I never should have said how I felt about Adam in the first place, cause I knew someone would take what I meant in a bad way...and that's fine...I guess that'll be the last time I take anything I read very seriously when it comes to U2...I never straight up hated him for that reason btw....and I belive what I was trying to say was completely overlooked in the fact that I now have a deep respect for Adam, which was NEVER there before.

The Bono death threat story happened on the JT tour, he did tell it at the Hall of Fame, and it was in the book "Bono in his own Words."

He doesn't use a bodyguard when he's not on tour - out and about in Dublin or wherever :huh:

bono_212 said:
I'm a little seriously teary aobut that...like I'm really about to cry...it's a long story, but really I just never like Adam at all until just now...I don't want to sound anything at all when I say this but just don't see how Adam's been in U2 so long if he's an athiest...but at the moment I don't care...I as of this moment harbor not a sigle ill feeling towards Adam whatsoever, and please don't harbor any bad feelings towards me

He's not an atheist, according to his own words.

Transsexual Nadia wins Big Brother (U.K. version); the nation doesn't bat an eye.

"I don't know if she was there as a freakshow-stroke-titillation or because it was a relevant representation of society, but I'm all in favour of everyone being represented. I think that's absolutely healthy. But the thing that’s noxious about celebrity is that it upends God’s order of things. The real romantic figures surely, should be nurses, firemen, mothers, aid workers...these are literally heroic people. People who run back into burning houses and pull out babies. In God's mind, they are at the top. The idea that a bunch of spoilt-rotten, self-indulgent artistes-and I include myself-who are overpaid, over-nourished and over-exposed most of the time...that we're more important than them, it's upside-down."--Adam, 2004

thrillme said:
[B " But the thing that’s noxious about celebrity is that it upends God’s order of things. The real romantic figures surely, should be nurses, firemen, mothers, aid workers...these are literally heroic people. People who run back into burning houses and pull out babies. In God's mind, they are at the top. The idea that a bunch of spoilt-rotten, self-indulgent artistes-and I include myself-who are overpaid, over-nourished and over-exposed most of the time...that we're more important than them, it's upside-down."--Adam, 2004 [/B]

Ok, I'm a mother and a nurse, and so as far as I'm concerned, Adam just reached "god status" in my opinion. Or at least angel. :angel:
What amazing quote from him. I love that he said all this.

I also noticed at the rock and roll hall of fame induction , adam made it a point to thank each of the wives in the band and Larry's girlfriend Anne (hope I got the name right). I thought that was very thoughtful for the one unmarried dude in the bunch. :up:

thankyou said:

Ok, I'm a mother and a nurse, and so as far as I'm concerned, Adam just reached "god status" in my opinion. Or at least angel. :angel:
What amazing quote from him. I love that he said all this.

I also noticed at the rock and roll hall of fame induction , adam made it a point to thank each of the wives in the band and Larry's girlfriend Anne (hope I got the name right). I thought that was very thoughtful for the one unmarried dude in the bunch. :up:

Yeah also I thought that was really sweet that he thanked the wives/girlfriends. Suzie is his girlfriend. I think the camera actually showed her as he was saying their names.

Last edited:
adam IS the best. i still get teary-eyes when i hear about that whole thing. not many people would be willing to do that for another person... and that says a lot about Adam. i mean a lot. and i have nothing but the upmost respect for him, and always have.

another reason why these guys will always be my favorite band. the bond between them... its very beautiful and i feel that everytime i listen to their music.

and yes, i wish bono would have a bodyguard or someone around him all the time. i know he's not the type and would probably go insane.. but for god sakes... i'd rather have security bug the hell out of me than have something horrible happen.
he doesn't have to have them by his side at all times.. they can go undercover... and pretend they're not even there.
it worries me to death, too. i know it sounds crazy to other people.. but it does worry me. and yes.. he's more into the political thing now than ever in a sense.. and with all the Bush stuff, etc... its concerning.

he should hire all of us as his bodyguards! lol. hell... a crapload of us Bono-lovin' ladies could take on anything.... lol.
actually.. he really should. i'd take the job in an instant! lol.

"I don't know if she was there as a freakshow-stroke-titillation or because it was a relevant representation of society, but I'm all in favour of everyone being represented. I think that's absolutely healthy. But the thing that’s noxious about celebrity is that it upends God’s order of things. The real romantic figures surely, should be nurses, firemen, mothers, aid workers...these are literally heroic people. People who run back into burning houses and pull out babies. In God's mind, they are at the top. The idea that a bunch of spoilt-rotten, self-indulgent artistes-and I include myself-who are overpaid, over-nourished and over-exposed most of the time...that we're more important than them, it's upside-down."--Adam, 2004

That is a great quote, yes, but sadly, it was mis-attributed. That was clearly a Bono quote. He has said the same thing, in the same words ("nurses, firemen, mothers, blahblahblah"), about a bejillion times. Adam just does not speak like that. The forum in which this quote first appeared was very messy, and a mistake was made.
That said, this is not to deny that Adam is a believer. The point has been made a number of times now, that Adam is no longer (if he ever actually was unequivocably) an atheist. Bono makes it clear in the Assayas book that he sees Adam as a spiritual person.

Last edited:
"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it, it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."--Bono : 'In His Own Words'

biff said:
That is a great quote, yes, but sadly, it was mis-attributed. That was clearly a Bono quote. He has said the same thing, in the same words ("nurses, firemen, mothers, blahblahblah"), about a bejillion times. The forum is which this quote first appeared was very messy, and a mistake was made.
That said, this is not to deny that Adam is a believer. The point has been made a number of times now, that Adam is no longer (if he ever actually was unequivocably) an atheist. Bono makes it clear in the Assayas book that he sees Adam as a spiritual person.

Really? I got that out of NME magazine, I did think maybe it was a mistake and it was Bono, but reading it in context, it was Adam. There was a clear break between what Bono said, and what Adam was saying.

It's the "real romantic figures" and "artistes" that cleared it up. Bono doesn't really use such "flowery" language, for lack of a better term. Bono does kinda repeat himself a bit, but he's never used the term "romantic figures."

He won't even write a straight-forward love song without feeling nauseous.

Transsexual Nadia wins Big Brother (U.K. version); the nation doesn't bat an eye.

Bono: We're tired of fiction. It's part of what's playing into the Libertines. People are becoming aware of the media and how it works, manipulation. And reality TV is the ultimate manipulation. But that's why people like it, they think it's unreal, they think they're getting it. The other thing that's going on is revenge. Revenge on celebrity. In whatever age, whenever a heirarchy becomes oppressive--be it the church, the crown, a government-revolution is never far around the corner. To me the oppression of our time is celebrity, and it creates two things; envy and revenge. Envy is 'I want that-that body, that house, that car' but then 'I wanna see people fall, I wanna see those crowns get knocked off, I wanna see the other side.' But then people look at the Osbournes and realise that they are a very loving family. And it doesn't fit.

Adam:

"I don't know if she was there as a freakshow-stroke-titillation or because it was a relevant representation of society, but I'm all in favour of everyone being represented. I think that's absolutely healthy. But the thing that’s noxious about celebrity is that it upends God’s order of things. The real romantic figures surely, should be nurses, firemen, mothers, aid workers--not aid spokesmen--these are literally heroic people. People who run back into burning houses and pull out babies. In God's mind, they are at the top. The idea that a bunch of spoilt-rotten, self-indulgent artistes-and I include myself-who are overpaid, over-nourished and over-exposed most of the time...that we're more important than them, it's upside-down."

There's been other comments from Adam in other interviews I've read, that I could've sworn came from Bono, but really were Adam.

Like a married couple, that much time around each other, they start kinda sounding like each other.

Last edited:
I remember him saying in the Induction now!

OK PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR EVER MAKING THE ADAM COMMENT OK! I'M SORRY! I was told tha the was an athiest, I was wrong...I only needed to be told once...
That being said, carry on with the thread :wink:

thrillme said:
"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it, it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."--Bono : 'In His Own Words'

Wow. To me, 3 things stand out from this post: 1) the fact that Bono is so fearless; he boldly walked out onto the stage and sang the song they were warned not to sing. 2) Adam's act of courage and loyalty is amazing 4) The worst is that, someone would actually threaten to kill someone because they wrote a song about one the of the nation's greatest people and got racist jibes for that?? Why? Just becasue he was black and dared to speak out against subjugation? Bono truly regarded him a hero because of the very fact that he spoke up against the segregation going on back then and was fearless as well.

Hats off to Bono. We love you.

SimplyConfused said:
I never thought about that... Although I have thought about what I would do if any members of the band passed away suddenly, like a plane or car crash, in the next few years. Oh, it'd be horrible. I'd never get to see them live. Stop thinking. Now.

3624.jpg

OK, I feel much better now.

Bono_is_Carson_Kressley.gif

who the heck is that guy???
also I don't think Bono should have full time security, and I am 100% sure he would never get them... but hmm that PLEBAn security team sounds pretty frickn good to me!

thrillme said:

Really? I got that out of NME magazine, I did think maybe it was a mistake and it was Bono, but reading it in context, it was Adam. There was a clear break between what Bono said, and what Adam was saying.

I know that appeared in NME, but I'm sure that was mis-attributed. Adam just does not use language like that, and Bono definitely does. It's not just the nurses and firemen bit, but also this: "the thing that’s noxious about celebrity", and this: "a bunch of spoilt-rotten, self-indulgent artistes-and I include myself-who are overpaid, over-nourished and over-exposed". Bono has made comments like that, somethimes using those exact words, many times. Adam conversational style is completely different.

There were a lot of sloppy errors in that issue of NME, and I'm pretty certain this was one of them.

That aside, I'm sure Adam would be a great and loyal friend to have. And I'm also sure Bono knows how to take care of himself, and is an expert at "reading" people.

Galeongirl said:
who the heck is that guy???
also I don't think Bono should have full time security, and I am 100% sure he would never get them... but hmm that PLEBAn security team sounds pretty frickn good to me!

I think he is part of the group "the fab four", consisting of four gay guys that do "makeovers" including people's apartments, clothing style, hairdos etc.. usually they do it just for men. They are actually pretty good at what they do. I can't remember the guys name though. I think it's carson something.

He is Carson Kressley and he is part of the Fab FIVE :D on "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy". I hope you didn't forget Ted, I love Ted, Ted can cook for me anytime :drool:

:shifty:

blueeyedgirl said:
He is Carson Kressley and he is part of the Fab FIVE :D on "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy". I hope you didn't forget Ted, I love Ted, Ted can cook for me anytime :drool:

:shifty:

oops! fab five, not four. Missed one! They're all good at what they do. Especially the interior decorator guy. Wish I could afford him.
Thanks for the correction! Too bad we don't see much of them anymore, I think it was CBS that would air their shows sometimes. I guess they are still on cable?

But staying with the theme of this thread: These five guys are no danger to Bono!! Whew!!

thankyou said:

oops! fab five, not four. Missed one! They're all good at what they do. Especially the interior decorator guy. Wish I could afford him.
Thanks for the correction! Too bad we don't see much of them anymore, I think it was CBS that would air their shows sometimes. I guess they are still on cable?

But staying with the theme of this thread: These five guys are no danger to Bono!! Whew!!

heh I would say! fab four = beatles!
hmmm can I apply to give Bono a make-over?
I think that U2 fans overall are very peacefull(besides the elderly women who mugged Bono the last time he went to the supermarket in dublin) and that the enemies of Bono are not that insane... I mean, look at Nirvana fans, they are like, errr no offence to them but they are 'different'... more extreme...
while u2 is a group for all ages, and more peacefull...
I think its enemies are less extreme because of that too..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom