Do you usually skip Numb ??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bring it, biatch! :angry:

I'll make you do this to yourself!
grumpydohyk5.gif

The Best Of mix is better.

:no:

That mix betrays the artistic trajectory of their own career. Any album is going to be a reflection of where the band was at the time, what their philosophies were at the time, the kind of music they were into at the time, their mental states at the time, etc. "Numb" is a document of the most adventurous period of U2's career. By dubbing those full-voiced vocals on it, U2 took that documentation away, because with those new vocals, the song no longer documents where U2 were in 1993, it documents where they were in 2002.

Agree to disagree.

been skipping it for about 13 years.

liked it ok right when it came out, but has not held up well at all. sounds like they came up with it in about 10 minutes, and just went with it.

definetly in the bottom 20 u2 songs.

I like it because I don't try to take it seriously. I see it as a kind of "comic relief" song, like "Elvis Ate America." I don't even think that it is intended as a song to be taken seriously. It's not "Mothers of the Disappeared," for crying out loud!

I love "Numb" and would never skip it, as it's my 2nd or 3rd favorite on that album.

By the way, am I missing something about the "Best of" version? I found it unlistenable back when that came out, and have never returned to it. It sounded like they had added a bunch of unnecessary reverb and taken away some of the parts that I liked. Maybe I should hear it again...

I just like that version more because it's less murky, the guitar comes in at the end with a lot of force, and Larry's vocals are brought way way further up into the mix which helps a lot. This version is a great song, one of their hardest ever.

Ironic, Idealist, Happy go lucky, Funny, Serious, Out there, looking at the inside from the outside...

all aspects of U2 at their best.

and it builds up to a great cresendo.:up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom