Do those of you coming to Boston have Questions - Part II - October Version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
walking by the Garden on the way to and from work yesterday and today and the big red trucks have arrived!!! Weird to see them a week before the show. Paul McCartney is playing at the Garden last night and tonight, so there are a ton of trucks there, but the odds of him having the same red cabs is slim to none.

daveydave said:
We had a great thread back in the spring which answered questions many people had about Boston. It seems like it was extremely helpful. Thus, part II for October starts here.

Spring Version:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127819&highlight=Modern

daveydave

I'm coming in to town for the 10/4 show. Where can I park? I'm up in New England on business next week cleared my schedule on that Tuesday afternoon and will probably get in to Boston around 5:00. Can you give me a heads up on where to park? Also I'll be alone so are you going or anyone else her going - I wouldn't mind stopping by and saying hello.

GretzkyU2Yanks said:
walking by the Garden on the way to and from work yesterday and today and the big red trucks have arrived!!! Weird to see them a week before the show. Paul McCartney is playing at the Garden last night and tonight, so there are a ton of trucks there, but the odds of him having the same red cabs is slim to none.

the red trucks do not belong to U2... they belong to the staging company... i forget their name... they handle the staging for most major touring acts in america. i saw the red cab trucks at giants stadium for the rolling stones, as well.

so the odds of paul having the same red cabs? pretty good.

ahh, I thought the red was for Vertigo colour scheme.

as for parking, there was a good suggestion on here in the spring. But I'll let others take it because they know the details better than I do. If nobody responds, check out the spring thread there was something in there about the Nautica Garage in Charlestown. Its the cheapest alternative, and best for traffic.

Go with Nautica in Charlestown

Just read the spring thread in full. You'll see that a few people backed up my claim.

questions for Boston

Hi Dave,

Yeah, thanks, I have a very important question:

Where can I get a GA ticket for one of next week's shows?

I guess I count myself fortunate to at least have a GA for December. . .but I've been checking Ticketbastard daily for drops. Quite a few Loge seats have been available this week.

I really enjoyed your thread last spring and appreciate your helpfulness. A couple of tips I would add--supper in the North End is absolutely key! And if you plan to go out to one of the pubs by the venue after the show, be prepared for some serious crowds. Next time I may opt for something a little further away where you can actually get to the bar to order a beer!

For those on a serious budget that want overnight accommodations, there's a youth hostel just a couple blocks away. . .I ended up going home that night with some other Mainers, but you can get a bed for $20. I'll dig up the link if anybody wants it.

I checked out the thread from the first round of dates in the Spring. I may have missed something but I still didn't find the answer to my question....

I'll have a Rental Car and after the show in need to get back to Hartford ( I have an early meeting Wed. Morning). I asked freinds who wen to the first leg and they said they missed ALL of the last Encore because they had to catch the T to pick up there car on time.

So I'd like to get my car into the area of the Arena and parked so I can shoot back to CT right after the show.

Is there any Garages in the proximity of the Garden and if so which ones should I be looking for?

Hello,

I won't be in Boston in October, but I might be there in December (looking for flights as we speak). Flights I can look for on my own, but not knowing Boston I don't know about places to stay. Does anyone have a suggestion what a good place is to stay? I'm not really into that youth hostel kind of thing, but a B&B or a low-cost hotel would be fine. All I want is a room + bathroom to my own. No need for fancy things like breakfast, room service or indoor swimming pools. Just a bed and a bathroom.
That said, what are good regions (of the city) to stay in? If I also want to see a bit of the city and be able to get to the arena without a car, where do I have to look?

Thank you. :)

*goes further looking for flights, places to stay and tickets*

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

I won't be in Boston in October, but I might be there in December (looking for flights as we speak). Flights I can look for on my own, but not knowing Boston I don't know about places to stay. Does anyone have a suggestion what a good place is to stay? I'm not really into that youth hostel kind of thing, but a B&B or a low-cost hotel would be fine. All I want is a room + bathroom to my own. No need for fancy things like breakfast, room service or indoor swimming pools. Just a bed and a bathroom.
That said, what are good regions (of the city) to stay in? If I also want to see a bit of the city and be able to get to the arena without a car, where do I have to look?

I spent a week in Boston for the May shows without a car. Luckily the subway system in Boston was great and I was able to get all around the city on it, (even back to the hotel after the show). So I definately wouldn't worry about a car.

I really can't help with the hotel since I stayed around Boston Commons and it seemed like all of the hotels around there (including the one I was at) were rather expensive. Although I really, really liked that area. In fact I'll be back to that area for the December shows.

@YBORCITYOBL

I'm assuming the reason your friends had to leave because the garage was going to close? I stayed until the end of the shows and had no problem catching the T back to the hotel.

Was this the parking that daveydave was talking about, this is from his post on the previous thread:

Another parking garage that is 8 - 12 bucks and a 10 minute walk is:
http://www.pilgrimparking.com/facil...utica/index.php
it's 10 minutes, just walk down the street - cut through Paul Revere Park, go over the lochs and your there.

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

Marty, try the Shawmut Inn www.shawmutinn.com . Its about a 37 second walk to the Garden on Friend Street, a side street off of Causeway where the Garden sits, and for downtown type hotel its prices aren't too bad. The Onyx Hotel is also right near the Garden on Portland Street www.onyxhotel.com , but it will be pricey, though you could book the Britney Spears suite.

Just scanning the Shawmut Inn's website they have a $99 internet rate for Dec 4th for a queen bed, you won't beat that in the city.

Hewson said:
Just scanning the Shawmut Inn's website they have a $99 internet rate for Dec 4th for a queen bed, you won't beat that in the city.

I also saw it, yeah. I will be staying there for probably a week, but $109 (excl. taxes) for some other days isn't too bad either.
Thanks!

BTW, how's the Beacon Hill/Kenmore Square region? Not just for the concert, but also to spend the rest of the week there.

:)

The city is very accessible by foot and/or subway. If you stay at the Shawmut, you're right by the North End, lots of good Italian restaurants, also very close to Faneuil Hall (big tourist area, shops and restaurants), the waterfront/aquarium and walking distance to Beacon Hill, interesting architecture if you're into that, could also tour the State House.
Kenmore Square is too far to walk, but only a few minutes by subway, busy area with college students as Boston University is in the area, some decent bars/nightclubs, and Fenway Park/the Red Sox, but that won't be a factor in Dec.

You should find plenty to do with no need for a car.

YBORCITYOBL said:
I checked out the thread from the first round of dates in the Spring. I may have missed something but I still didn't find the answer to my question....

I'll have a Rental Car and after the show in need to get back to Hartford ( I have an early meeting Wed. Morning). I asked freinds who wen to the first leg and they said they missed ALL of the last Encore because they had to catch the T to pick up there car on time.

So I'd like to get my car into the area of the Arena and parked so I can shoot back to CT right after the show.

Is there any Garages in the proximity of the Garden and if so which ones should I be looking for?
There are plenty of places to park close to the garden, just expect to pay $20-25 the night of a concert.
The garden has its own underground garage, but exiting can take some time. There are several small lots in the area, and a large garage a block away on corner of New Chardon Street and Congress Street.
I always use the George Costanza method ("Why pay for it when if I apply myself I can get it for free"), that would require some patience and knowledge of the area to circle and look for a street spot, but if you arrive around 5PM as you expect, you'll find area workers heading home and might find a metered spot. Meters only run till 6PM, so from 5 to 6 would cost you 4 quarters and the rest of the night is free.

Thanks Hewson for the heads up are you by chance going to the Tuesday show?

I don't mind paying the rates on the Garages - That was a great comment on George Costanza - if I arrive into Boston say around 5 ish you don't think I'll have a problem Parking?
I had a bunch of freinds who went in the Spring and they missed the Encores (which that night included BAD) because they had to catch the last train (T) out to where they parked thier car.

YBORCITYOBL said:
I had a bunch of freinds who went in the Spring and they missed the Encores (which that night included BAD) because they had to catch the last train (T) out to where they parked thier car.

I'm still not clear on why your friends had to leave the show? I was at the 3 shows in May stayed until the very end of each show and took the T back to my hotel on Boylston St. all three nights.

ramblin rose said:

I'm still not clear on why your friends had to leave the show? I was at the 3 shows in May stayed until the very end of each show and took the T back to my hotel on Boylston St. all three nights.

I just talked to him right now and he forgot the town but he took the "rail" to the T and that's why they had to leave so soon.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Thanks Hewson for the heads up are you by chance going to the Tuesday show?

I don't mind paying the rates on the Garages - That was a great comment on George Costanza - if I arrive into Boston say around 5 ish you don't think I'll have a problem Parking?
I will be at all 4 remaining Boston shows, GA on Tues.
At 5 you'll have no problem parking, the lots around the arena won't get busy that early as much of the crowd (the non GA crowd) will arrive later, especially on a weeknight.
If you're parked close by, the T won't be a factor so you can enjoy the encores. Your friends must have parked in the suburbs and come in by commuter rail, which has a specific schedule and depending on the line, the last train departure could cause you to have to leave early. The regular in city subway runs plenty late enough to not conflict with the end of the concert.

If people want to save money parking and are coming from outside of the exact city of Boston, I really recommend parking at one of the T stations and taking the T in. If you're coming from the north, you can park at Wellington or Alewife stations ($3-$4.50 for all day), or from the south you can park at a few of the red line stations--I know at least Braintree and Quincy Center.

I'll be taking the T and bus home from work, picking up the car, and driving back and parking at Wellington (three stops away from the Garden).

Hewson said:

Or outside the city.. that's a great price!

For anyone's reference, the Boston subway and bus website is http://www.mbta.com and you can see how the subway is laid out. It's very easy to get around Boston, one of my favorite things about it. Since it's got such a small square footage, it's very easy to walk.

If you do look outside the city for a hotel (like Quincy, Medford, etc.) just make sure they have public transportation very close by. Usually those hotels say "10 min to Boston" but that's only if you have a car. If you can find a place to stay near a train or bus then you're fine.

And you must go to the North End when you are here. Especially in the winter w/ all the twinkle lights. It's magical! :)

the confusion here is the T is the subway and commuter rail to the 'burbs. The last trains on the T to the burbs can be early. The subway T runs until 12.30.
Park in Charlestown:
http://www.pilgrimparking.com/facilities/nautica/index.php

its a short walk and best for traffic after the show. Jump right on 93 south to the Mass Pike and off to CT you are.
Im going to McGanns before the show tonight.

ramblin rose said:

Another parking garage that is 8 - 12 bucks and a 10 minute walk is:
http://www.pilgrimparking.com/facil...utica/index.php
it's 10 minutes, just walk down the street - cut through Paul Revere Park, go over the lochs and your there.

As an unarmed female, if I parked there would I have any problems walking back alone late at night after the concert?

^I was just wondering the same thing. I scored 2 GA tickets off ebay about a week ago for this, and my mom and I are hoping to get there around 5/5:30 AM(we're about an hour and a half out of Boston. The things we do for U2... :huh: )

From what I hear, the Garden parking garage is pretty pricey if your car's there all day, so this seems like a good option. But the walking back in the dark is a bit eh.

Psyched for the show, by the way!:wink:

Last edited:
You won't be walking back alone, there's gonna be 18000 people leaving the arena at the same time.

Anyway I've always felt safe in Boston (as a young female). Just keep your eyes open, be aware, and you should be fine. :)

if its not late, olive is right. the walk is across the Charles a bridge. plenty of people out walking around and cars driving if you leave pretty much right after the show.

oliveu2cm said:
You won't be walking back alone, there's gonna be 18000 people leaving the arena at the same time.

Anyway I've always felt safe in Boston (as a young female). Just keep your eyes open, be aware, and you should be fine. :)

yes
I suppose this is true
plus most cities have extra police around when a big event lets out, I doubt Boston is an exception
eeexcellent.

Yeah I saw lots of extra police around and in the train station last night. Just leave with the crowd and you should be fine. :)

oh and if you can, in the garage park under a light. Easier to stay safe if you can see what's around.

ETS party location?

Anybody know where the ETS party was for the shows this month? We got in the ellipse, and now I'm thinking I want to try that again in December, but I don't want to wait for the prices to drop on ebay.

Did anyone go to the party? Where/how was it? What about parking?

Thanks!

Curious if anyone stayed at the Shawmut Inn? I read one user review for it and it made it sound a bit sketchy (plus the pic of the room looked like someone's crappy den). The price is pretty damn good, just don't want to feel like I have to put a chair behind the door when I go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom