Do Republicans listen to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm a registered republican. while i tend to be more of a moderate, giulliani/mccain type republican, and often have many issues with the far right, i am still a republican.

a friend of mine who is also a republican is a huge u2 fan, and when i say huge i mean about as huge as you can get, even more than me.

the thought that all republicans are god fearing, war mongering a-holes who hate blacks, gays and want everyone to die just to make more money is about as silly as the thought that all democrats are tree hugging pussies.

of course republicans listen to u2.

:up: best post in this thread so far.

here's a question: what group doesn't listen to U2? They're pretty good at reaching all kinds of people.

DPrinceNY said:
Bono's humanitarian efforts, something that a hardcore republican would greatly be against. I’m curious to know if it’s purely because of the bands politics that deters republicans away from the band or solely based on their music.

If Republicans ignored the music or movies from any artist that had different political beliefs, we wouldn't have much more than Clint Eastwood flicks :D

Bono's crusade is one of the most genuine, non-partisan efforts I have seen out of any celebrity. He offers solutions not rhetoric and puts to shame windbags like Clooney, Streisand, etc.

Chewystick69 said:
This is probably a question that should not be asked. Because you can't have an intelligent debate on politics when you get childish responses from ones like mrbrau1 and axver.

I don't know about Brau, but if this thread were actually remotely intelligent, I wouldn't have given it a mocking, sarcastic response.

Asking "do Republicans listen to U2?" is about as silly as asking "do black people go to U2 concerts?" (Which was once seriously asked here.)

It's just a silly stereotypical question. But if you think it's great to discuss stereotypes and whether the stereotypical Republican listens to U2, go ahead. Just don't expect to be taken particularly seriously.

LoL internet catfight.

InterniousBusiness.jpg

Last edited:
Well U2 are a very Christian influenced band, so you could get that contingent, and believe it or not...sometimes people can like music without being politically involved in it...shocking but true.

I'm a Republican (or I suppose I will be when I actually vote). But the issues and politicians' stances on them are more important to me than party labels.

"Do Republicans listen to U2?" My answer: Are all Democrats gay?

DPrinceNY said:
I've seen very few instances of republicans listening to U2. Much of it obviously has to do with the bands pacifist attitude and of course Bono's humanitarian efforts, something that a hardcore republican would greatly be against. I’m curious to know if it’s purely because of the bands politics that deters republicans away from the band or solely based on their music. I do not fit this criteria, myself being more of a moderate, but there has to be some republicans that listen to u2 despite disagreeing with their politics.

WTF kind of question is this? Do you even get out of your room? Seriously!

I would say U2 has tons of Republican fans (more than Democratic fans) b/c U2 muscially is very MOR! Republicans love that kind of stuff! Logical if you think about it!

Last edited:
I am a Republican and I loooove U2! I detest the fact that some "religious conservatives" give Christ and his followers a bad name by not loving all people just as Jesus did.

Ben

Re: Re: Do Republicans listen to U2?

Flying FuManchu said:

I would say U2 has tons of Republican fans (more than Democratic fans) b/c U2 muscially is very MOR! Republicans love that kind of stuff!

Somehow doubt it. I would say the majority lean to the left.

But yes it was a silly question.

DPrinceNY said:
I've seen very few instances of republicans listening to U2. Much of it obviously has to do with the bands pacifist attitude and of course Bono's humanitarian efforts, something that a hardcore republican would greatly be against. I’m curious to know if it’s purely because of the bands politics that deters republicans away from the band or solely based on their music. I do not fit this criteria, myself being more of a moderate, but there has to be some republicans that listen to u2 despite disagreeing with their politics.

I think your making a lot of inaccurate assumptions about the number of Republicans listening to U2, why they listen to them, and also about U2 and their politics.

1. Bono has stated many times that he is NOT a pacifist. Try to find the 2001 year end interview with BONO in HOT PRESS and he in fact states it there. In addition, in Bill Flanagan's book, "Until The End Of the World", both Bono and Edge are dispointed that the United States did not use military force in 1993 in Bosnia.

2. Republicans are involved with humanitarian efforts, unless of course you do not consider working with a Church volunteer group to be humanitarian. Bono got a lot of support from Republicans in congress in passing various aid packages to Africa. Remember, Bono has achieved more things from a humanitarian perspective with the Republicans in power than when the Democrats had the White House.

3. Much, if not most of U2's politics are unknown. What many consider liberal, most Europeans would consider moderate. Plus, the band indeed have a conservative bent considering from a business perspective U2 is a large business that operates around the world, making huge profits while putting on some of the largest concert productions the planet has ever seen. U2 is BIG BUSINESS!

In general though, people should leave the band alone and should not presume the band supports this or that or believes x and y unless they say so.

I think you'll find an equal number of hardcore democrats and hardcore Republicans at any U2 show. The rest of the people like most of America, is in the middle.

RickFly said:

yes we are good people. i know several republicans that love u2. my brother in law is the one who got me into u2 and he is also a republican. and yes, republicans love sex also.

It could be argued they love sex more since they typically have more kids.:wink:

westendgirl said:
Well we tried but there were too many dead republicans casting their ballots! Hopefully we'll get next year's election right.

There is not going to a presidential election in 2007.

Flying FuManchu said:

WTF kind of question is this? Do you even get out of your room? Seriously!

I would say U2 has tons of Republican fans (more than Democratic fans) b/c U2 muscially is very MOR! Republicans love that kind of stuff! Logical if you think about it!

Well, Considering you take the time to come to a U2 website, I'm guessing your a Republican then.:wink:

STING2 said:

Remember, Bono has achieved more things from a humanitarian perspective with the Republicans in power than when the Democrats had the White House.

He never campaigned in the manner he does now when Democrats were in the office. Meeting with US politicians and working with them is a fairly new thing for Bono. Yes he is friends with Clinton, but he didn't have any massive campaign that he was working on with him. So that comment is rather self serving and inacurate.

The thing I like best about Bono when it comes to politics is that he doesn't identify himself with any one political party. Unlike all those other attention grubbing imbecile celebrities (Clooney, Kanye, Winfrey etc...) who mae a bunch of fuss but get nothing done (besides annoying me), he cares about the issues, not the politics.

I try not to associate myself too much with either party, but my views lean more towards republican. I'd be considered a republican, but that's not to say I agree with everything they do.

One reason I think alot of conservatives would like U2 is because their christian undertones. Now, whether Bono is saved or not I don't know, but I'm sure many right-wing christians find their lyrics very easy to relate to (I do).

shart1780 said:

Now, whether Bono is saved or not I don't know, but I'm sure many right-wing christians find their lyrics very easy to relate to (I do).

Wow, sounds like shart1780 is growing up and realizes he can't judge whether someone is saved or not.

Good job:up:

I consider myself "republican-leaning" and I vote generally republican (mostly based on economics and international issues). I love U2 but strongly disagree with the religious right, though most people would agree that there are some shared values between them. And saying that republicans are against what Bono's trying to do for Africa isn't quite right--in principle I don't think anyone could be opposed to doing good for others, the question is whether the money should come from the government's tax income (therefore people not voluntarily giving, ie democrats' side) or not (republicans' side).

And I love the '90s U2 :drool: :drool: :drool: :rockon:

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to say it, but you're gonna have to wait until January 2009...

typhoon said:
I hate to be the one to say it, but you're gonna have to wait until January 2009...

What? :shocked: Are you telling me that US presidents stay in power for four years when they get elected for a term?! That's unpossible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom